• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF spricht Deutsch, zumindest hier drinnen...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Germans finally exploded against their government and culture, Doc.

It was bound to happen.

Well, it's hard to say because they can't get the big one done ;-)

Germany has a terrible recent track record for big public construction projects. And like with most things, Berlin is the worst offender ;-). The central station (which is stupidly dark, windy and confusing) didn't get done in time for the 2006 WC, and the roof stayed unfinished. And it already has to be renovated.
The airport is a never-ending, embarrassing fiasco.

I knew that glorious German Engineering was too good to be true.

Milchjon

And having Sundays off is great, no matter what the original reason was. I don't celebrate any religious holidays either but they're great to have regardless. We spend enough of our lives working as is.

Yeah, I guess I'd have to call myself an atheist, but I don't think the wholesale dismissal of traditions because of religious origins is necessary. Religions appropriated older traditions as they saw fit themselves, why shouldn't we do the same if it works? Nothing wrong with celebrating a sunday as a day in the sun ;-)

I knew that glorious German Engineering was too good to be true.

Politics, mostly.

Gustav

Banned
Yeah, I guess I'd have to call myself an atheist, but I don't think the wholesale dismissal of traditions because of religious origins is necessary. Religions appropriated older traditions as they saw fit themselves, why shouldn't we do the same if it works? Nothing wrong with celebrating a sunday as a day in the sun ;-)

Politics, mostly.

And what's wrong with letting those run a store on Sunday that want to?

Name 5 from the last 50 years.

Sebastian Thrun (Creator of Udacity, development lead of Google's self-driving cars)

There's probably a lot more than just 5. Scientists, Engineers or Philosophers just don't get "famous" these days.

You could ask the same question for Poland, Russia, or any other country.

Rufus

Also, I don't see anything wrong with Germany integrating immigrants, making them assimilate the German culture. People always think of European countries as homogeneous populations, and I think I like it that way, it's what makes Europe attractive to non-Europeans, to be honest.

The US, Australia and Canada are well suited for heterogeneous populations, the rest of the world, not so much.
Sorry, but that sounds like you don't want your amusement park to become less interesting. I don't know if that's preferable to the local bigotry of small town folk who actually believe Germans are dying out. Sure, there's something quaint about homogenous nations and their cultures, but even immigrant nations like the US aren't diluted or somehow lessened by the various influences from abroad. Everyone puts their own spin on things and something new emerges.

This desire for "authenticity" on such a grand scales is really very small-minded, especially now that we're re-discovering the concept of economic migration yet again. Ahem. Speak the language, follow the laws, otherwise live your life however the fuck you want. Nobody should feel the need to abandon their own culture, just because. Those that do want to merge into the mainstream will shift gradually at their own pace, those that don't won't and there's nothing wrong with that.

Besides, if you trace the origins you'll find that all of Europe is related in some way, so it really is rather pointless to try and hold on to some specific point in time. It's rather like the language purity/conservation bullshit, myopic and ultimately pointless.

And what's wrong with letting those run a store on Sunday that want to?
The fear is that they'll pull everyone along with them, defeating the point entirely. I don't know any people who work in retail or gastronomy, but I'd rather they have a free day, too.

Gustav

Banned
The fear is that they'll pull everyone along with them, defeating the point entirely. I don't know any people who work in retail or gastronomy, but I'd rather they have a free day, too.

They still have their 2 days off, it won't be necessarily Sundays though.

Milchjon

Name 5 from the last 50 years.

It's always harder to judge these things as they're happening. Who knows which works of art will stand the test of time? Which scientific advancements will prove relevant? Which political decisions will work out?

I mean, is the reunification of Germany worthy? Is being instrumental in opening up European countries towards each other good enough? Are mp3s important? Key contributions to graphene research? Kraftwerk? Hartmut Esslinger? Habermas? SAP?

Of course, maybe we're all useless and feeding off past successes. Hindsight is 20/20 either way. Time will tell.

Gustav

Banned
It's always harder to judge these things as they're happening. Who knows which works of art will stand the test of time? Which scientific advancements will prove relevant? Which political decisions will work out?

I mean, is the reunification of Germany worthy? Is being instrumental in opening up European countries towards each other good enough? Are mp3s important? Key contributions to graphene research? Kraftwerk? Hartmut Esslinger? Habermas? SAP?

Of course, maybe we're all useless and feeding off past successes. Hindsight is 20/20 either way. Time will tell.

Let's do artists then, should be easy.

Milchjon

Let's do artists then, should be easy.

What I said applies to art as well. No one cared about van Gogh when he was alive.

Nonetheless, Gerhard Richter, Joseph Beuys, Anselm Kiefer, Georg Baselitz and I dunno, ask someone who gives a shit about art ;-)

Really depends on how you define art, too. You probably won't see another Dürer, simply because the need for paintings as a way to depict the world has lost a lot of its value. Paintings and sculptures seem to lose relevance overall, whereas design is becoming more important. And that's an area where German designers and concepts (Dieter Rams, Hartmut Esslinger, or even Bauhaus) are still very much influential.

Anyway, like I said, I won't be the one to cure you of your Germanophobia. I'm off to bed now. Gute Nacht.

Dat Germany hate.
KuGsj.gif

Stuborn, small-thinking bureaucrats and opportunists. I don't agree.

I have to admit, I'd probably have a hard time to top Gustav's post in terms of negativity. That, like, a compliment or something, don't you think, Jon?

Gustav

Banned
N'abend, Jon

And I'd gladly switch countries with you Gustav. Maybe living in a third-world country would make you appreciate Deutschland.

Ah, the old "others have it worse" rhetoric. But thanks, no. I have to decline. I don't want to worsen my situation. There is only one way for me: NYC <3

Wrayfield

Green Card and/or visa mainly.

I assume you mean working visa, b/c visitor's visa is pretty easy to get these days for us non-Visa Waiver Program plebs. I would seriously try to get a job that will help you with a working visa first. I know, easier said than done, but when I look at all the people who make it every year on some regular jobs, makes me wonder if it's not worth a try.

Green Card lottery never worked for me and I gave up years ago. Guess that's why it's called lottery. And there is always the good old-fashioned green card marriage. :p

Gustav

Banned
I assume you mean working visa, b/c visitor's visa is pretty easy to get these days for us non-Visa Waiver Program plebs. I would seriously try to get a job that will help you with a working visa first. I know, easier said than done, but when I look at all the people who make it every year on some regular jobs, makes me wonder if it's not worth a try.

Green Card lottery never worked for me and I gave up years ago. Guess that's why it's called lottery. And there is always the good old-fashioned green card marriage. :p

Thanks for the tips. I'm already trying, sending out resumes, etc. It's not that easy. I'm work as a Game Designer and I fully understand that most US companies have no need for a German Designer as they have access to more qualified professionals domestically. No need to look abroad for them. :(

Des0lar

will learn eventually
What kind of idiot claims Berlin is the new NYC?

Reason we have none: Forbidden by Berlin law.
True reason: Germans can't think big. Big buildings are so anti-Bausparvertrag, it hurts. Also, Germans like to claim that they are super understated (HALT! SCHWEINEHUND! BIER HAXEN!) and big buildings are for obnoxious egotistical Americans. To them, all American cities look the same - and that sure as shit won't happen to their precious German cities. Berlin is too beautiful to be sullied by some jerk off gigantism.

We have those. From 8-10 a.m. and from 17-19 p.m. Otherwise it's dead. Especially the inner city. You go half a block from Unter den Linden? DEAD. Why? I would guess it's the same reason we don't have street vendors. Oh, funny story: An ice cream store in Prenzlauerberg got shut down a couple weeks ago by our precious Ordnungsamt (YES, THIS THING EXISTS. Welcome to Germany), because the line was too long. New Yorkers, try to wrap your head around that. Imagine this: some mid-50s women with fashionable short hair, from a "department of order" close down Grimaldi's because their fucking lines are too long. Only in Germany, bro. Only in Germany.

Well, if you ask Germans we have too much Turks anyway. Nobody wants more of them. When I moved here in 2006, I was told by a "true" Berliner (Berliner is a Donut, get over yourself) that in Kreuzberg, some signs are written in both German and Turkish. IMAGINE THAT! TURKISH IN GERMANY! Na, wo sind wir denn hier? To answer and quote our foreign minister: "Es ist Deutschland, hier!".

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. STOP. PLEASE!

What's important to know is that Germans have a special skill to effectively kill off and ban foreign culture from even appearing on German streets. This skill is called "Integrationsdebatte". The number 1 priority for each and every immigrant is to become integrated, to become assimilated, to effectively become germanized. Immigrants must be homogenized, otherwise they are unacceptable. You can see this easily by observing Germans talking to immigrants who don't speak the language. Germans immediately start talking to them as if they suddenly became retards. A sentence that will live in infamy: "Nix Banana?" That exact question is what my mom was confronted with by a fellow German (I say fellow because at that point my mother was a German citizen) when he tried to offer her a Banana. SPOILER: The correct sentence would have been: "Möchten Sie keine Banane?"

Reason why this isn't happening: German law, apparently it's a holy day. So much for segregation of state and church, huh?
Real reason why this isn't happening: Because German shopkeepers (and their lobby) hate it when immigrants of other beliefs come to this country and make money on a day where Germans are stuck indoors, being holy (read: lazy). That's the real fucking reason. It's because "it's unfair", because people who are ready to work would be their biggest fucking nightmare. "Non-christians" would kill it in sales on Sundays and the small minded German piece of shit lobby won't have that. Because they believe it's their damn right to be lazy for one day a weak. And nobody should ever make profits from that. Especially the non-christians shouldn't. This year they finally started cracking down on "Spätis" (basically "Delis" in NYC) in Berlin, effectively fining immigrant shop keepers out of sunday dealings.

Amen.

As an Austrian that loves Germany and Austria, I entirely agree, though I find that people here haven given up trying to homogenize the immigrants. Just because people have it (mostly) well here, doesn't mean the countries have no problems of their own.

Milchjon

Ah, the old "others have it worse" rhetoric. But thanks, no. I have to decline. I don't want to worsen my situation. There is only one way for me: NYC <3

Looking forward to your "Limited drink sizes are a sign of a small-minded culture" threads :p

Seriously though, good luck! I hope you'll succeed at getting a visa/green card.

Wrayfield

Thanks for the tips. I'm already trying, sending out resumes, etc. It's not that easy. I'm work as a Game Designer and I fully understand that most US companies have no need for a German Designer as they have access to more qualified professionals domestically. No need to look abroad for them. :(

Ah, don't give up. Actually, this is one industry where you could be seen as a "Person in Specialty Occupation" (or, if you're fashion model :)). I know some of folks who do just that in the software industry.

Seriously, try some headhunters who have some positions in Canada and the US. You prolly won't end up in NYC but you could always go on a six months contract and take it from there. I know it's difficult as hell, but your combination of unhappiness in Görmany and love for the US should give you a bit of motivation to grind it out. Once you're there and convinced your employers, they can sponsor your visa and maybe later on even green card. It's a long process, but not unheard of.

Powodzenia! :)

Would it sometimes be convenient that ALL stores are open on sunday - probably. However I value the quiet time aswell. Closed stores, fewer cars on the street, fewer people around. This is some sort of quality I value aswell in a city to relax and escape the "buzz" and noise. So I don't need a city that never "sleeps".

Zum Thema Ausländer, Sprache, etc. möchte ich mich eigentlich nicht äußern, nur soviel wenn mich jemand in der offiziellen Landessprache nicht versteht, ich die Sprache meines gegenüber auch nicht beherrsche falle ich auch zurück und fange an Sätze einfacher zu stückeln um mich zu verständigen. Ob das (nur als Beispiel) beim Taxifahrer in Berlin oder NYC ist spielt keine Rolle und wird wohl überall - zumindest mir - passieren können.

Gustav

Banned
Looking forward to your "Limited drink sizes are a sign of a small-minded culture" threads :p

Seriously though, good luck! I hope you'll succeed at getting a visa/green card.

Man, I really hate to keep harping on about this, but do you honestly feel that culturally Germany has much to offer? I have worked in the TV industry before becoming a Game Designer and the very thought of having a director/producer pitch something like "Star Wars" for example to a German studio made me burst out in tears of desperation. Stuff like that is impossible in Germany. It just is. Nobody here is willing to invest in big ideas or visions. I mean, one of our own Helmut Schmidt once said: "Wer eine Vision hat, der soll zum Arzt gehen". That's the German mindset. It stifles creation, it stifles creativity, it stifles ambition.

Anyway, no harsh feelings. You seem like a nice guy. I think we just have fundamentally different values and opinions in regards to culture, society, etc.

Thank you for your good luck wishes. If I ever get out of here, German Gaf will be one of the first to know ;)

Does applying for a green card cost anything? Or can you just apply every year til you die?

Nope. Doesn't cost a dime unless you're picked for a green card. The process from then on costs a couple hundred bucks.
Are you coming with me? ;)

Ah, don't give up. Actually, this is one industry where you could be seen as a "Person in Specialty Occupation" (or, if you're fashion model :)). I know some of folks who do just that in the software industry.

Seriously, try some headhunters who have some positions in Canada and the US. You prolly won't end up in NYC but you could always go on a six months contract and take it from there. I know it's difficult as hell, but your combination of unhappiness in Görmany and love for the US should give you a bit of motivation to grind it out. Once you're there and convinced your employers, they can sponsor your visa and maybe later on even green card. It's a long process, but not unheard of.

Powodzenia! :)

Dziekuje! Staram sie und wie meine deutschen Kollegen gerne sagen: Wird schon!
I'm in this for the long haul, definitely. I will keep trying. I have already contacted head hunters and will increase my efforts throughout the year. Currently have other things on my plate to sort out. I also have a Girlfriend that will start to actively look for positions in the US. She could also become my ticket if we marry and she gets a visa. Who knows.

I wanted to apply as well, but the US doesn't care about my german citizenship. They just see that I've been born in Poland and deny my request by saying that they already have enough polish immigrants. :(
Maybe my work will lead me to the US one day but it's unlikely. Most of our development is handled in Montreal / Canada. :/

Wrayfield

I wanted to apply as well, but the US doesn't care about my german citizenship. They just see that I've been born in Poland and deny my request by saying that they already have enough polish immigrants. :(
Maybe my work will lead me to the US one day but it's unlikely. Most of our development is handled in Montreal / Canada. :/

Yeah, strangely, your birthplace is more relevant for the lottery than your citizenship (or at least that's how it used to be a while back when I applied).

Gustav

Banned
Yeah, strangely, your birthplace is more relevant for the lottery than your citizenship (or at least that's how it used to be a while back when I applied).

Phew, glad I was born in Germany then. I was born Polish, to Polish parents but that doesn't matter evidently.

Didn't help me one bit so far. Keep your chin up, moj brat.

I will! :D

But my intentions to move to the US are not as strong as they used to be. I used to live in Ireland between 2009 and 2012 and kind of fell in love with that country. In the end, my GF led me back to big ol' Germany but I'm counting the days until I can leave again. I wouldn't say that I don't like this country. It's benefits are apparent. But I got a nomand soul. I just never feel at home, no matter where. I'm driven by a neverending Fernweh (Beautiful word without a good english equivalent).

Gustav

Banned
I will! :D

But my intentions to move to the US are not as strong as they used to be. I used to live in Ireland between 2009 and 2012 and kind of fell in love with that country. In the end, my GF led me back to big ol' Germany but I'm counting the days until I can leave again. I wouldn't say that I don't like this country. It's benefits are apparent. But I got a nomand soul. I just never feel at home, no matter where. I'm driven by a neverending Fernweh (Beautiful word without a good english equivalent).

I kind of get your nomad nature. I wouldn't say that there is no place I have ever felt at home, but for some reason I feel that I have to do the same as my parents did. Leave the country they grew up in to live a better life.

vitacola

I wouldn't be too optimistic, that life will be (that much) better in the US. But if you think you will be a lot happier than in Germany you should at least try it.
What happens if you get a working visa/Green Card? Will you lose your German citizenship once you moved to the US?

P.S.: Wer hätte gedacht, dass "Baskenmütze" kein Begriff ist, den man auf Arbeit googlen sollte? :)

I wouldn't be too optimistic, that life will be (that much) better in the US. But if you think you will be a lot happier than in Germany you should at least try it.
What happens if you get a working visa/Green Card? Will you lose your German citizenship once you moved to the US?

P.S.: Wer hätte gedacht, dass "Baskenmütze" kein Begriff ist, den man auf Arbeit googlen sollte? :)

:)

I kind of get your nomad nature. I wouldn't say that there is no place I have ever felt at home, but for some reason I feel that I have to do the same as my parents did. Leave the country they grew up in to live a better life.

Yeah, I can totally relate to that urge. :)
I wish you good luck for your future endeavors.

Wrayfield

We must have a meetup at a Pats-Dolphins game one day.

Unfortunately, when I'll finally be able to afford that, I'll probably be shitting my adult diapers in the retirement home.

Just get off GAF and finish your uni, dammit! :)

Besides, not sure I would be welcome in Foxboro, I drive past it a couple of times a year and everytime I think about just stopping and leaving a steaming pile of Blarry's finest at the main entrance.

Let's try Wembley first, huh?

Germans still believe on the American dream, huh?

In all seriousness, Gustav, you should check out Canada. It's a way better place to live than the US, the downside is that there are less jobs and the cold ass weather...

Gustav

Banned

In all seriousness, Gustav, you should check out Canada. It's a way better place to live than the US, the downside is that there are less jobs and the cold ass weather...

Thanks for the tip, I'm dead set on NYC or SanFran though ;)

This whole business has little to do with the American Dream, more with me preferring a place and a culture over another.

TheExodu5

Banned
So I went to Swiss Pastries last week and they were selling some German boxed foods. Bought some bread knodels, potato knodels, and rosti. Rosti is awesome, and I need to buy it again. I overcooked the potato knodels a bit as they were a bit gluey on the outside, but still not too bad. I have some left over which I will cut up and fry with onion tonight. The bread knodels were awesome...almost like turkey stuffing. Delicious with onions and gravy.

Any other good German food I sho0uld try? I could try making something from scratch this time.

Doesn't Canada have a lower unemployment rate than the US?

Milchjon

So I went to Swiss Pastries last week and they were selling some German boxed foods. Bought some bread knodels, potato knodels, and rosti. Rosti is awesome, and I need to buy it again. I overcooked the potato knodels a bit as they were a bit gluey on the outside, but still not too bad. I have some left over which I will cut up and fry with onion tonight. The bread knodels were awesome...almost like turkey stuffing. Delicious with onions and gravy.

Any other good German food I sho0uld try? I could try making something from scratch this time.

Bread knödels are way better homemade, especially with a nice mushroom cream sauce.
Potato knödels too, but they can be a bit of a pain in the ass to make from scratch.

As for German foods, how about a nice Schweinebraten (pork roast)? Maybe ask OnkelC in the cooking thread, he's an expert on German food.

Edit:

Sounds like Käsespätzle are right up your alley!

Basically a traditional German version of Mac'n'Cheese

D'oh. Should've been the first suggestion.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Thanks for the tip, I'm dead set on NYC or SanFran though ;)
As someone who has lived and worked in NYC, SF for a summer, and Germany, NYC > SF > Germany. But they are all great times and I'm glad to have experienced all three. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom