• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF spricht Deutsch, zumindest hier drinnen...

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 98878

Unconfirmed Member
Hamburg
p0QHO.gif

Great city!

Milchjon

I always wondered why the fuck they called it the "Crystal Night". It's obscene.

MIlchjon, you're an HSV-er ?

I thought it referred to all the broken glass.

And I've only lived here for a year now. Even if I cared for football, I wouldn't be a HSV fan. Seems like a clusterfuck of a team anyway.

Kenka

I thought it referred to all the broken glass.

And I've only lived here for a year now. Even if I cared for football, I wouldn't be a HSV fan. Seems like a clusterfuck of a team anyway.
Still, it's a mindfuck to me.
Any true citizen of Hamburg is a St. Pauli fan anyway.
Any true citizen worldwide is a St-Pauli fan. Only European team worth cheering for for the non-initiate.

Als ich das letzte Mal in Hamburg war habe ich viel Zeit im Hafen gebracht. Es roch wie Hölle aber die Landschaft war für mich irgendwie erstaunlich : für jemanden der nur auf die Berge gelebt hat war es einfach sensationell.

Dir/die/das

#^%*#%
Pure shit. I wish all genders would have gone by by the time impression was invented. We wouldn't have been forced to stick to them.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Thanks Mich, that helps a bit. You know what is hilarious about learning German from an English background? 80 percent of your words make total sense. Already I can suss out what things mean.

Until.

Until it goes from einbahnstrasse (dunno how to type that B character) to Gertsmchmeissfleischmannflahrtahn. Lol.

Milchjon

Thanks Mich, that helps a bit. You know what is hilarious about learning German from an English background? 80 percent of your words make total sense. Already I can suss out what things mean.

Well, it has the same Germanic roots. Also makes English easier for Germans.

My friend who's half-French probably didn't have to learn any English because it seems like most of the rest of the words have Latin roots.

WanderingWind

That's about how I feel at the moment. I need me some German Sesame Street.

Oh, also, does trinke/trinkt/ trinkst hold the connotation it would in English? Like, if I say "ich trinke" does that mean "I am drinking" with the alcohol being understood?

You need to get into the Franco-Belgian stuff. Series like Asterix or Tintin are almost as culturally accepted and widespread as regular books.

But where do you buy them? Nearest place I can find is in Prague

snap0212

Oh, also, does trinke/trinkt/ trinkst hold the connotation it would in English? Like, if I say "ich trinke" does that mean "I am drinking" with the alcohol being understood?
Yes, that's how I'd understand it.

Also; there should be comic books. There's a comic book store in my city that has basically everything. I got The Walking Dead there recently. I'd think you should be able to at least get the popular ones.

Milchjon

But where do you buy them? Nearest place I can find is in Prague

There's a rather nice comic store behind the Karstadt in the Königsstraße in Stuttgart (unless it closed down within the last 12 months.)

Walk down the Königstraße. On the right (coming from the Rotebühlplatz. Left if you're coming from the Schlossplatz) there's a smaller street full of food places between the Karstadt and a sports equipment store. Go down to that street and take an immediate right, under the building basically. There's a store called World of Comics.

Otherwise, big newspaper/magazine shops, for instance in train stations, usually have a small selection of comics. And some stuff can be found in bookstores, like the big Wittwer at the Schlossplatz in Stuttgart.

Edit:
SVOB1s4.png

Also, found an article about how selling comics doesn't work in Stuttgart, while other German cities manage to support several stores. Like I said, not a great city.

WanderingWind

Ok, thanks. What should I be looking up? Like, what's the word for comic book store? Also, anybody spend any time in Grafenwoehr? I'm there now.

Edit: damn, thanks for the map Mich. you're best NFL-GAF German

Milchjon

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Cheerleader effect

Edit: The region around Grafenwöhr is beautiful. My Grandma lives in Bayreuth (less than 45 minutes away). Franken and the Oberpfalz have lots of nice small towns and villages. Bayreuth, Kulmbach, Nuremberg, Bamberg, Würzburg are all worth a visit. And Franken has the best beer culture in Germany, better than the rest of Bavaria. Lots of tiny breweries, most brewing for their own supply. Cheap German food too.

Referring to that pic in particular.

I would never doubt the Dutch ability to produce beautiful women. Not when you people gave us Doutzen Kroes.

Fair enough

Edit:
SVOB1s4.png

Also, found an article about how selling comics doesn't work in Stuttgart, while other German cities manage to support several stores. Like I said, not a great city.

Should have called the Lange Strasse the Short Strasse.

Get it?

Man, you guys must have really missed my great humor in this thread.

Und was möchte er eigentlich sagen?
Keine Ahnung. Vielleicht wurde aus "look at you" eben "Lackschuh". Kommt davon wenn man weder ordentlich lesen noch schreiben kann - man lernt (falsch) auswendig. Kann aber auch echt ein Jugendbegriff sein, den ich noch nie gehört habe.

Milchjon

Keine Ahnung. Vielleicht wurde aus "look at you" eben "Lackschuh". Kommt davon wenn man weder ordentlich lesen noch schreiben kann - man lernt (falsch) auswendig. Kann aber auch echt ein Jugendbegriff sein, den ich noch nie gehört habe.

"Luxurious/Luxury"?

Seems like a bit of a stretch though :-D

Rufus

Those Swedish girls have pretty flat asses.

There's a rather nice comic store behind the Karstadt in the Königsstraße in Stuttgart (unless it closed down within the last 12 months.)
I found a thread which suggests that it's closed down:
http://www.paninicomics.de/forum/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=21505

Check out Sesamstraße clips on Youtube. :D Many segments are just dubbed from the US show, but we also have our own puppets and people in Big Bird sized suits.

Btw, Alt+0223 for ß if you're in a pinch. You have to type the numbers on the numpad though.

For Umlauts you can just cheat (this is a trick German crosswords like to use, too):
ä = ae
ö = oe
ü = ue

Hm, depends on the context, much like in the US, I suppose. I think here most people will assume that you drink alcohol and expect you to speak up if you don't. I don't think abstinence is as common here.
There is however a phrase using "trinken" that almost always refer to alcohol: "(einen) trinken gehen". Not necessarily limited to one drink, even if people say "einen". Do not say that you are a "Trinker" though, that's just a euphemism for alcoholic.

I might as well mention these now:
dict.leo.org - Great (best?) German-English and English-German dictionary. Even if there's no entry for a word there's a good chance that there's a discussion on it.
dwds.de - Great all-in-one German dictionary with usage, etymology, thesaurus and corpus.
canoo.net - For all you grammatical needs. Deklination, konjugation, word formation. Pretty neat.

Sample entries using "trinken":
http://dict.leo.org/ende/index_de.h...oc=0&resultOrder=basic&multiwordShowSingle=on
http://www.dwds.de/?qu=trinken
http://www.canoo.net/wordformation/trinken:V:haben
http://www.canoo.net/inflection/trinken:V:haben for all the word forms, particularly neat to just look at

WanderingWind

So...alcoholics are bad here???? Crazy!!

But, I'm about to venture out, armed with my infant-level German and a bevy of translator apps. Bier, brats and brot are my goals...

WanderingWind

Ha! I had a conversation in Germish!

But for real. People pointing me to McDonald's when I ask about local restaurants has got to stop...lol.

WanderingWind

I hope that those people just don't know any other restaurant, and are not actually making fun of US americans. ;)

Nah, they're just assuming I'm looking for comfort food. It happened 3x today. Then I gave that laugh and Nein, Nein,Nein and got directed to the local places with staff that didn't speak English. Had the nest time EVER.

German food is the shit. So far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom