• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF spricht Deutsch, zumindest hier drinnen...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milchjon

I had the schnitzel. Not curry wurst. That sounds...heartburny. I'm going HAM on some of the beers too. Oh and what the fuck is up with all the kebab places

Kebab is the biggest fast food thing in Germany.

Also, try stuff like Sauerbraten and Schweinebraten if you're in Franconia. They're good at this roast meat thing.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I will do just that. I went to a shitty bakeri today. Ate what had to have been a frozen and thawed pretzel and a piece of pastry that was custard and raisin topped that was decent. Other than that everywhere is serving great food. I'm dropping weight too. Easy to do with no drive throughs that I can see. Besides McD's of course.

Oh and everything is open basically whenever the fuck they feel like being open...lol. Tried to get in some grocery shopping around 2-3ish. Not a damn thing was open, save for a couple restaurants and a market where they closed up 40 minutes early.

I will do just that. I went to a shitty bakeri today. Ate what had to have been a frozen and thawed pretzel and a piece of pastry that was custard and raisin topped that was decent. Other than that everywhere is serving great food. I'm dropping weight too. Easy to do with no drive throughs that I can see. Besides McD's of course.

Oh and everything is open basically whenever the fuck they feel like being open...lol. Tried to get in some grocery shopping around 2-3ish. Not a damn thing was open, save for a couple restaurants and a market where they closed up 40 minutes early.

You're also dropping weight because American food is filled with a shitload of crap. Seriously, just open a bad of Doritos here compared to the Doritos in the US or a bottle of Fanta. In the US the Doritos are like 10X as orange, they almost glow in the dark.

Weng

@WanderingWind: If you're near Stuttgart again and still looking for comics head to Esslingen and check out the Sammlerecke, one of Germany's biggest comic book stores AFAIK.

Milchjon

You're also dropping weight because American food is filled with a shitload of crap. Seriously, just open a bad of Doritos here compared to the Doritos in the US or a bottle of Fanta. In the US the Doritos are like 10X as orange, they almost glow in the dark.

You guys have Doritos?

We only get them in specialty stores :-(

WanderingWind

Yeah, add to that the fact that towns here are more akin to bigger cities in America in that they're all walkable. I'm going to be more healthy here, for sure.

@WanderingWind: If you're near Stuttgart again and still looking for comics head to Esslingen and check out the Sammlerecke, one of Germany's biggest comic book stores AFAIK.

Awesome man, thanks for the tip!

Our culture is too unique. Whereas what little culture you guys had got usurped by Mericah. The only thing left is Zwarte Piet.

And we might lose him as well, because of racism and stuff :(. Still, I'm all for becoming the 51st state, as long as it's just a title and they don't mess with anything else. 'MERRRICAAAAH!

I'm still shocked over the Doritos though, I mean, I never eat potato chips, unless when there are Doritos involved, I can empty a bag in no time. Need me to send you a Doritos emergency kit?

Yeah, add to that the fact that towns here are more akin to bigger cities in America in that they're all walkable. I'm going to be more healthy here, for sure.

Where did you live before you moved? Cali right? You're gonna hate the rain pretty soon.

vitacola

Zum Thema St. Pauli: In meinem erweiterten Bekanntenkreis tummeln sich extrem viele "Fußballhipster", wobei es da verschiedene Ausprägungen gibt. Bayern hassen, Barcelona verehren, für Pauli gegen Kommerz, etc.
Die meisten, die mit St. Pauli Schals etc. rumrennen, waren noch nie in einem Stadion ...

Ich empfehle dem modernen, werdenden Fan: Zeiss Jane lieben. Gegen Kommerz und attraktiven Fußball! :)

Milchjon

I've never tasted a single Dorito and only know the brand, because GAF mocks it all the time.

When I went to the US the last time, my first day was spent wandering through Boston to one of the very few local Taco Bells to get a Doritos Locos Taco.

Everything else I did the ten days after that was just icing on the cake.

Milchjon

It only means I'm pure, unlike you people. No wonder orange is your color.

I've also never tasted Mountain Dew.

Now THAT is a real shame.

Doritos are boring. Mountain Dew is a treat.
Although there might be some nostalgia involved, because it was basically all I drank on my first US trip. I'm also pretty sure that the stuff we get in Germany doesn't taste exactly like the original. Maybe some HFCS thing.

Milchjon

If I could ever figure out when shit is open around here, I'd let y'all know. Jebus.

Well, simply put, everything opens in the morning and closes in the evening.

Until maybe 10-15 years ago, 6 PM was the standard closing time. And many stores still follow that, especially smaller ones.

Grocery stores are usually open til 8. Bigger ones, like Real, Kaufland and Rewe, can be open until 10 PM. And a small number of them (Rewe in Stuttgart) are open til midnight. Which is nice until you realize that you can't buy alcohol after 10 in stores in Baden Württemberg.

It may seem complicated, but you'll get a feel for it soon.

WanderingWind

Well, simply put, everything opens in the morning and closes in the evening.

Until maybe 10-15 years ago, 6 PM was the standard closing time. And many stores still follow that, especially smaller ones.

Grocery stores are usually open til 8. Bigger ones, like Real, Kaufland and Rewe, can be open until 10 PM. And a small number of them (Rewe in Stuttgart) are open til midnight. Which is nice until you realize that you can't buy alcohol after 10 in stores in Baden Württemberg.

It may seem complicated, but you'll get a feel for it soon.

At least here everything closes around 2 and reopens around 5. Grocers appear to close when they want. The meat market and bakery stayed open like you said, morning to evening.

It only means I'm pure, unlike you people. No wonder orange is your color.

I've also never tasted Mountain Dew.

The Dutch Doritos aren't like American Doritos. Lot less food coloring and all that (Still junk, but sooooo good). Mountain Dew only became available here a year ago or something like that. I personably don't like i, when I want a sugar rush I just drink Coca Cola.

Milchjon

At least here everything closes around 2 and reopens around 5. Grocers appear to close when they want. The meat market and bakery stayed open like you said, morning to evening.

Damn, that's lazy Italian style!

Haven't experienced that in any city/town I've lived in. Must be a small village thing.

ekim

Nah, they're just assuming I'm looking for comfort food. It happened 3x today. Then I gave that laugh and Nein, Nein,Nein and got directed to the local places with staff that didn't speak English. Had the nest time EVER.

German food is the shit. So far.

Make sure to eat some Hackbraten and Kohlrouladen/Krautrouladen... <3

cool, CoD Ghosts PS4 ist bereits auf dem Weg zu mir.

Mal eine Frage, wie viel bekommt eins bei Gamestop für ein brandneues verschweißtes Spiel im Eintausch?
Habe mir bei Amazon die 3 für 2 Aktion gegönnt will aber eigentlich erstmal nur KZ spielen. Könnte also die anderen beiden verscherbeln und in ein paar Monaten erneut kaufen.

D

Deleted member 98878

Unconfirmed Member
Die meisten, die mit St. Pauli Schals etc. rumrennen, waren noch nie in einem Stadion ...

Ich empfehle dem modernen, werdenden Fan: Zeiss Jane lieben. Gegen Kommerz und attraktiven Fußball! :)

Hehe, davon ist der Verein, den ich unterstütze auch nicht weit entfernt. Obwohl der Fußball, den sie diese Saison spielen eigentlich ziemlich absehbar ist :D

Milchjon

Daher finde ich die Bezeichnung: Modelabel mit angeschlossenem Fußballverein für St. Pauli sehr passend.

Is that a Bruins logo? You don't happen to like the Patriots too, do you?

Edit: Damn, you changed your avatar already.

what kind of music is popular in the Germany?

The same stuff as anywhere else, I guess. Dutch DJs and shit.

I kinda like this song, although for some reason I feel like I shouldn't.

WanderingWind

I just left LA, so keep that in mind, but cost of living here is STUPID CHEAP. I'm loving it.

I'm going to see how the winter treats me, but if it doesn't suck too hard, I'm considering starting the paperwork for living here after my 3 years is up.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
My flight to Berlin is delayed and now I'm landing at midnight. Ugh :(

Any really fantastic breakfast places? Last time I went, I found an incredible breakfast buffet. I forget where exactly but it was fairly out of the way. I think it was like 13€ or so. Great value.

Milchjon

I just left LA, so keep that in mind, but cost of living here is STUPID CHEAP. I'm loving it.

I'm going to see how the winter treats me, but if it doesn't suck too hard, I'm considering starting the paperwork for living here after my 3 years is up.

Prices depend. You're in one of the cheaper parts right now. When you live in a bigger German city and visit the US, your food prices in particular are very cheap.

Winter is fucking awesome if you approach it head on. Go skiing, go to a sauna, go to a hot spring pool (or whatever the right word for Thermalbad is). Go to a Christkindlesmarkt (the one in Nürnberg is pretty famous), get drunk on Glühwein. Also, winter makes spring possible.

WanderingWind

Dude, Burger King is the real winner and always will be. Don't listen to these fools.

But you have to try a pizza burger before you leave, they didn't have any when I was there. :(

Ewwwwwwww. No way man. I ate tripe today and I won't eat at a Burger King

Prices depend. You're in one of the cheaper parts right now. When you live in a bigger German city and visit the US, your food prices in particular are very cheap.

Winter is fucking awesome if you approach it head on. Go skiing, go to a sauna, go to a hot spring pool (or whatever the right word for Thermalbad is). Go to a Christkindlesmarkt (the one in Nürnberg is pretty famous), get drunk on Glühwein. Also, winter makes spring possible.

For sure. But the difference is stark, moving from one of the most expensive places in America to here. We're going to visit the Christkindlesmarkt the week after it opens.

And I'm gonna see a motherfucking castle tomorrow! Am very excited! I will totally tourist out

raindoc

Don't.

Glühwein is really good if it is made well. Often you get a mixture of sugar and cheap red wine from a plastic canister. Drink that and regret it the day after.

Fritz

My flight to Berlin is delayed and now I'm landing at midnight. Ugh :(

Any really fantastic breakfast places? Last time I went, I found an incredible breakfast buffet. I forget where exactly but it was fairly out of the way. I think it was like 13&#8364; or so. Great value.

Ah, is it to late for recommendations now? I think there are some dainty places on Kastanienallee for breakfast:

Fleury, Glücklich am Park, Napoljonska, Schwarzsauer.

And I'm gonna see a motherfucking castle tomorrow! Am very excited! I will totally tourist out

Name please!

wsippel

Banned
Glühwein is really good if it is made well. Often you get a mixture of sugar and cheap red wine from a plastic canister. Drink that and regret it the day after.
Exactly. White Glühwein in particular is awesome if it's well made, with a healthy dose of Amaretto and not too much sugar.

phoenixyz

Weihnachtsmärkte mostly sell the really cheap Glühwein, at least around here. Self-made Glühwein is much better (and pretty easy to make). But of course, the feeling is not the same if you are not standing at a Weihnachtsmarkt booth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom