• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF spricht Deutsch, zumindest hier drinnen...

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a rule of thumb: if the "r" is the final letter of a word, it is not pronounced. However, you should keep in mind that this varies regionally and is not a 100% accurate.

edit: Also, the r in Spanish is an alveopalatal consonant, whereas in German, it is mostly a uvular consonant, so their articulation is very different.

So how do you prounounce "Winter", "Krieger", "Februar" ... you made it sound like that when it is at the end you treat it like a silent "H". The "R" at the back sounds normally less aggressive but I wouldn't say that is not pronounced.

Gustav

Banned
So how do you prounounce "Winter", "Krieger", "Februar" ... you made it sound like that when it is at the end you treat it like a silent "H". The "R" at the back sounds normally less aggressive but I wouldn't say that is not pronounced.

Winta, Kriega, Februa

Winta, Kriega, Februa

He wants to learn the language not kick it in the groin. Of course I personally don't pronounce every word as the Duden would make me do it but if you start a language without properly mastering it first you are going to have a bad time ;-)

Totalriot

Endlich neuen Internetanbieter, neuen Router und Leistung.

Es ist als würde ich alles doppelt so schnell erleben <3

Nun müsste ich sogar ruckelfrei streamen können.

Hamburg, meine Rettung.

Wilhelm.Tel? Es gibt nichts besseres - Sofern man das Glück hat, von denen angeschlossen werden zu können.

Don't worry about it too much, proper German pronunciation is something that has been identified by science as theoretically impossible.

If you don't believe me, and are still having trouble with 'r', try saying "Lehrerin" 50 times fast.

Krelian

I have a question to native German speakers. Is the letter r pronounced at all? For example in words like "warum" or in words that end with an r like "hier", it seems that it has no sound.
Here's a linguistic explanation:

"R" is always pronounced. The pronunciation changes if it's at the end of a word though and sometimes in the middle as well. In your first example "warum" it's pronounced like a usual German "r": [&#641;]
Listen to its pronunciation here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voiced_uvular_fricative

At the end of words it's usually a vowel sound (not "a"), not a consonant. You'd have to listen to the pronunciation very closely. As you can see most native speakers don't even recognize it or mistakenly think it's a "normal r": [&#592;]
You can listen to the pronunciation on the Wikipedia page for the sound: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Near-open_central_vowel
It will most likely sound like a normal "a" though. For that reason try to listen to native speaker's pronunciation of words with an "r" at the end. Don't sweat it if you can't hear a difference. It will take time :)

The same vowel is used when a word is made up of several words (or morphemes), like "verarbeiten": the first /r/ is a [&#592;], the second is a [&#641;] though (normal "r").
For a better understanding: verarbeiten is made up of the morphemes "ver" and "arbeiten". That's why the first /r/ is a vowel sound like if it were at the end of a word.

Keep in mind that it's not very important as long as you're understood. Your pronunciation will most likely improve over time.

DerZuhälter;47166447 said:
Well if you overemphasize the "r" you sound like an ancient prussian general, so actually gustav has a point.

True I guess it is hard to explain without actually talking. For me the "leave out the R" posts first sounded more like "Fadda" und "Mudda" ;-)

I take it you are German?
The "r" definitely influences the pronunciation, but I wouldn't pronounce it. And if you left out the "r" from Vater and Mutter it would be more like "Vata" and "Mutta", right? Or do you say "Vatea"/"Muttea" or "Vaterr"/"Mutterr"? :)

fushi

Ich habe fast alle meine Deutsch-Kenntnisse verlernt und jetzt habe ich keine Ahnung wie ich das alles wieder erlernen kann. :(

Vielleicht sollte ich einfach ein bisschen mehr Zeit in diesem Th--, ehm, wie sagt man 'thread' auf Deutsch?

Ich habe fast alle meine Deutsch-Kenntnisse verlernt und jetzt habe ich keine Ahnung wie ich das alles wieder erlernen kann. :(

Vielleicht sollte ich einfach ein bisschen mehr Zeit in diesem Th--, ehm, wie sagt man 'thread' auf Deutsch?

Die meisten sagen/schreiben Thread oder auch "Fred" falls sie des Englischen nicht mächtig sind, lol
Im Gegensatz zum post/posting (-> Beitrag) gibt es imho kein Äquivalent für Thread, Diskussionsstrang vielleicht?? lol

Der Post liest sich doch ganz gut, keep at it.

la_briola

Faden, but it is used in a more ironic way on German boards.

Faden, but it is used in a more ironic way on German boards.
wut, "Faden" ist mir ja noch nie untergekommen o_O

not much of a post but i still think Germany has some of the finest women, love their accents too!

Meh, lack of racial diversity sets us back. Like you'll have a hard time finding blasians around here - but we're trying to fix that, lol

So dumm, dass es wieder lustig ist:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0n69KrYEhE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpSSSX7SBmE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeWDJBGeYzw

Oder ist's einfach nur dumm? :|

It is/was often used on planetquake.de

ic, aber guckste mal:

IPWeCxW.png

vs.

h18f8JU.png

Ich gewinne, geh' heim und sei Familienvater!

Thema ist wohl die naheliegendste Übersetzung

I take it you are German?
The "r" definitely influences the pronunciation, but I wouldn't pronounce it. And if you left out the "r" from Vater and Mutter it would be more like "Vata" and "Mutta", right? Or do you say "Vatea"/"Muttea" or "Vaterr"/"Mutterr"? :)

No but right across the border und das ist auch gut so ;-)

It really depends I pronounce the r at the end of Vater (not like the mentioned general but I do it) if I speak to someone who doesn't understand my dialect otherwise if I am talking rather fast I often fall back to "Vata".

IHaveIce

Banned

Wie es bereits gesagt wurde sagen manche tatsächlich Fred oder Faden, beides aber eher als Spaß.

Ansonsten bleiben viele beim englischen Thread oder in manchen Foren sind Threads = Themen, ein Thread wäre also ein Thema, aber das wäre eigentlich auch nicht sinngemäß übersetzt.

m3r4

Dufter Typ taking lurking to the next level
Bachelorarbeit is go! ... Nächste Woche. Wieso zur Hölle hab ich in der hintersten Ecke der Bibliothek noch Empfang?!

Wenigstens hab ich hier meine Ruhe -- Bibliotheken vor der Klausurphase sind das schlimmste.

Bachelorarbeit is go! ... Nächste Woche. Wieso zur Hölle hab ich in der hintersten Ecke der Bibliothek noch Empfang?!

Wenigstens hab ich hier meine Ruhe -- Bibliotheken vor der Klausurphase sind das schlimmste.

haha lustig, dass alle "lernenden" sich erstmal bei neogaf versammeln :D
was studierst du denn?

m3r4

haha lustig, dass alle "lernenden" sich erstmal bei neogaf versammeln :D
was studierst du denn?

Ja, ich hab auch gerade nur zwei Tabs offen, Facebook und Neogaf.
Ich studier Japanologie und Deutsch als Fremdsprache, aber aller Voraussicht nach bald nicht mehr. :D

so is anyone going to cologne for carnival next weekend?

I lived in Northrhine-Westphalia for a couple of years and my sister was actually our village's Carnival princess, but I never got into it... The stories you hear about Carnival in Cologne don't really help, either.

Ja, ich hab auch gerade nur zwei Tabs offen, Facebook und Neogaf.
Ich studier Japanologie und Deutsch als Fremdsprache, aber aller Voraussicht nach bald nicht mehr. :D

I lived in Northrhine-Westphalia for a couple of years and my sister was actually our village's Carnival princess, but I never got into it... The stories you hear about Carnival in Cologne don't really help, either.

sehr cool :eek: was ist denn deine muttersprache? japanisch? :D

m3r4

sehr cool :eek: was ist denn deine muttersprache? japanisch? :D

Ne, schon Deutsch. Ich könnte theoretisch nach dem Studium in Japan unterrichten, aber ich würde einen lausigen Lehrer abgeben, glaube ich. :D

Ein Kumpel von mir ist letztes Jahr fertig geworden und zurück nach Mainz gegangen. Scheint ja ganz schön zu sein da.

Ne, schon Deutsch. Ich könnte theoretisch nach dem Studium in Japan unterrichten, aber ich würde einen lausigen Lehrer abgeben, glaube ich. :D

Ein Kumpel von mir ist letztes Jahr fertig geworden und zurück nach Mainz gegangen. Scheint ja ganz schön zu sein da.

jaa ich studier in mainz, ist echt ganz nett

dafrocka

Banned
any recommendation on whre to be and when to be there or where to go?

I'm arriving Friday afternon and staying til monday afternoon

well the whole city is big party :)
Depends on what you like and how old you are.

For the younger generation "zülpicher straße / viertel"
(lot`t of students etc.)

Very good is "die südstadt" Lot`s of bars and pubs.

Pure celebration all over the city :)

Tideas

Banned
well the whole city is big party :)
Depends on what you like and how old you are.

For the younger generation "zülpicher straße / viertel"
(lot`t of students etc.)

Very good is "die südstadt" Lot`s of bars and pubs.

Pure celebration all over the city :)

i'm 27. but i party like a 21 year old ;). Anyway, the city looks big on google map though! lol. I'm trying to find a hostel that's cheap enough...

ogott ich hab eben die folge beauty & the nerd geschaut (jaja ich hab
auch nix besseres zu tun) und das war teilweise echt schon schmerzhaft.
o_o

RaGe_pt

Hi fellow gaffers! I speak Portuguese and English and I'm looking to learn German now. Is there any website or other resources that you advise me to use? I'm a begginner in German.

ich hab mal eine frage an alle, die sich noch an die alte
giga games zeit erinnern können...gibts die folgen eigentlich
irgendwo online oder so? irgendwelche geheimtipps? :(
also ich mein nicht dieses neuere format mit den quotenbräuten
& dummen typen, sondern das mit simon, nils, felix, michael, etc.

Fritz

Hi fellow gaffers! I speak Portuguese and English and I'm looking to learn German now. Is there any website or other resources that you advise me to use? I'm a begginner in German.

Tough call. Deutsche Welle get's thrown around and it's definitely a solid source but I don't know if it caters to beginners.

IHaveIce

Banned
ich hab mal eine frage an alle, die sich noch an die alte
giga games zeit erinnern können...gibts die folgen eigentlich
irgendwo online oder so? irgendwelche geheimtipps? :(
also ich mein nicht dieses neuere format mit den quotenbräuten
& dummen typen, sondern das mit simon, nils, felix, michael, etc.

Puh habe ich auch mal gesucht und bis auf paar momente auf youtube konnte ich leider nix finden, man war das ne super zeit!

Werde auch nie den moment vergessen wie Etienne den pappgamecube wegkickt und ruft "Pc rules"
KuGsj.gif

Puh habe ich auch mal gesucht und bis auf paar momente auf youtube konnte ich leider nix finden, man war das ne super zeit!

Werde auch nie den moment vergessen wie Etienne den pappgamecube wegkickt und ruft "Pc rules"
KuGsj.gif

hm schade, ich dachte jetzt kommt irgendeiner damit an "ja kein ding, ich hab alle folgen aufgenommen, ich geh sie sofort mal hochladen!" ._.

haha das weiß ich gar nicht mehr..ich weiß aber noch wie budi sich als cheerleader verkleidet hat. oder simon als godzilla....oder als felix & nils irgendwelchen ekligen
snackkram auf die tauglichkeit beim zocken überprüft haben und es "gamers bite" nannten. oder oder oder *-*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom