• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF spricht Deutsch, zumindest hier drinnen...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dre

The lil Kim thread just reminded me of DJ Tomekk. Anyone remember that guy? Ich lebe für Hip Hop was pretty cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EzC-ZNZkpE

and the track with Lil Kim:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCCI1Vdtg9w

whatever happended to him?

"Gib's mir richtig, ganz egal wo."

On a more serious note, he's mostly doing gigs at different clubs in Germany/Austria/Switzerland nowadays and also still working for his semi-successful label:

http://www.facebook.com/BoogieDownBerlin

Does anyone know why Germany is not fully covered by Google Streetview? Only a few cities show up.

Also, another question for Germans. Aside from English, what's the most popular second language there?

Google only did it for a few cities and people could demand their house/street to be taken down due to privacy issues. It was a big thing in media and thus plenty of people did it.
Stuff like this makes me think that Germany is still a bit close-minded. Even in little things like banning violent video games.

Fritz

Stuff like this makes me think that Germany is still a bit close-minded. Even in little things like banning violent video games.

I agree. Germans on average are not exactly progressive social wise. But then, who really is?

Regarding yesterday

2439327499.jpg

Love these random football pics.

Wrayfield

DerZuhälter;47386828 said:
Call me a bigot, call me a racist. If I hear this "turkish lilt" coming from the backrows of the bus behind me, talking loudly about banging hoes and slapping mothafukas, till I fucking boil and turn around to scream at them to shut the fuck up, it's not the turkish lilt that's bothering me. It's the content about what they talk and how they behave.
But if the assumed Ali, Emre and Murat turn out to be Peter, Jörg und Frederick in the back row (believe me it happened more than once to me) ... well then I think the turkish lilt becomes just as much an issue to me as the content of their talk.
Is that racist? Was it racist to assume because of a turkish lilt that the people sitting behind me are probably turkish?
I honestly don't care that much because them speaking that way is a much bigger issue than my "hidden" bigotry/racism.

P.S.: Sorry to completely missuse your quote and train of thought.

P.P.S.: Will check back later, now it's football time first.

Didn't call you a bigot. And no need to apologise, it's a difficult subject.

arit

No, I had to use a Chrome extension to translate every other word in the last three pages I read. I wrote that bottom sentence without any assistance.

Edit: This is gonna get hard using an American keyboard which doesn't have umlauts.

Change the Keyboard layout to us international and it gets quiet easy:

right alt + q = ä
right alt + p = ö
right alt + y = ü
right alt + s = ß
right alt + 5 = €

Any VfB Stuttgart fans remember Maza?

He played with Mexico last night against Jamaica, the game ended up 0-0, which also ended up pissing people off and echoing boos. When the game ended, the gk was being interviewed on national television and Maza passed by and did this, lol
BCea4p6CEAApECa.jpg:large

Also, another question for Germans. Aside from English, what's the most popular second language there?

I'd say French, too. Overall.
But then you have stuff like Dutch in the North-West of Germany, Danish in the North and Russian in the former GDR (when pupils in the FDR learned English, pupils there learned Russian), too.

Nach den ganzen Flodder Familien im TV die ihre Vermieter peinigen, dachte ich Mieter werden immer bevorzugt. Aber nein mein Konsolenbudget schrumpft um 900€ für den Luxus warmes Wasser zu haben...

No gaming weather here. 5 degrees during the very very sunny day - I have to close the window blinds to play all the time. [first world problem]

not bad, weather here is currently 25 degrees. Our winter this year was a joke, will have to unpack the air conditioner very soon. (mexico, third world problems i guess?)

CTLance

this may sound dumb, but I just learned that (2-digit) numbers in german are read backwards!
68 -> achtundsechzig
Das ist sehr cool!
It can become rather annoying. Especially when you read a big number out loud to someone else.

37982 = siebenunddreißig (tausend) neun (hundert) zweiundachtzig

It's like taking the numbers and just randomly shuffling them around for no reason. Plus, you need to pay attention and parse the whole thing into memory instead of being able to just copy it one by one off the source, so to speak.

Aber naja, so ist sie halt, die deutsche Sprache. :)

sphinx

the piano man
ja Winter ist scheisse hier aber Mai und Juni sind dafür fantastisch, Leute grillen oder joggen im Park und die Stimmung ist toll.

Sommer in DL finde ich besser als im Südeuropa, wo es nur schwül und feucht ist.

TCRS

Banned
die letzten jahre hab ich sommer geliebt, weil ich ein Motorrad hatte. Motorrad ist weg, Sommer ist wieder scheiße..

Do most people in Germany live in apartments? Just by glimpsing at google maps, it seems that, at least the big cities, are full of apartment buildings, almost no houses.

I know that space is an issue in a 80 million european country, but still...

Do most people in Germany live in apartments? Just by glimpsing at google maps, it seems that, at least the big cities, are full of apartment buildings, almost no houses.

in big cities yes, the smaller the towns get the more likely it is people live in (semidetached) houses

TCRS

Banned
Aye, apartments are pretty much the norm here. The deposit requirement for a mortgage here is very high (usually a quarter or third of the price), so most people can't afford houses. That's why there was no real estate bubble here in Germany, no big one anyway. There is/was one slowly building with ever increasing rents but the politicians have (or are trying) to stop it.

Ich auch. Sommer in Deutschland sind schön. Nicht zu heiß.
Lol. Was? Die letzten Sommer waren sau heiß. Ich konnte kaum schlafen...

It depends. You won't see much apartments in middle-large cities. Around my area more people live in houses instead of apartment buildings.

Aye, apartments are pretty much the norm here. The deposit requirement for a mortgage here is very high (usually a quarter or third of the price), so most people can't afford houses. That's why there was no real estate bubble here in Germany, no big one anyway. There is/was one slowly building with ever increasing rents but the politicians have (or are trying) to stop it.

they are not very successful till now :-/....
http://www.ardmediathek.de/dossiers/warum-wohnen-unbezahlbar-wird?documentId=12805382

it's unbelievable.

Milchmann

The big cities developed in the 19th century when poor people moved there to find work. They looked for cheap housing so many apartment buildings were built. At that time nobody cared about parking spaces or privacy.
Those building structures still shape the cities, even when a lot of them were destroyed in the second world war.
In the last decades many people moved to the outskirts of the cities to build their own houses. There you can find American style suburbs.

RedSwirl

Die letzte Zeit war Ich in Deutschland war 2000. Wie viel ist ungleich?

Ich brauche meines Deutche Schul Buchen, glaube Ich. Ich wünsche Google hat die Artikel fur Vokabel gegeben.

...took me five minutes to type all that shit. I wonder if reading German Wikipedia will help...

Edit: Was ist die andere Wort von "Öst?"

I guess that kind of explains some of the low birth cases in Germany (and europe overall) Living in a small apartment with > 2 kids probably drives people insane.

I guess that kind of explains some of the low birth cases in Germany (and europe overall) Living in a small apartment with > 2 kids probably drives people insane.

no I wouldn't say that was the reason, there are just many family unfriendly policies in place.
its really hard for mothers to get back into work after a couple of years of parenthood, and working with small children is often made unnecessarily difficult..

I think that's probably one of the smaller reasons for the low birth rate... There are much more important factors that affect birthrate than whether or not you live in an apartment.

Die letzte Zeit war Ich in Deutschland war 2000. Wie viel ist ungleich?

Ich brauche meines Deutche Schul Buchen, glaube Ich. Ich wünsche Google hat die Artikel fur Vokabel gegeben.

...took me five minutes to type all that shit. I wonder if reading German Wikipedia will help...

Edit: Was ist die andere Wort von "Öst?"

Can you use öst in a sentence? I've never seen Öst, but ost means east.

Also, the apartments are not necessarily "small".

Ya, the ones I was in were pretty small but I didn't know how expensive bigger ones are. Most people I knew had more college like apartments I guess you could call them, they had separate rooms that were kind of small but at the end of the hall they had common rooms with a TV and other stuff.

It depends. You won't see much apartments in middle-large cities. Around my area more people live in houses instead of apartment buildings.

Summer is only painful because it seems no one in Germany believes in air conditioning. Otherwise, it would be pretty much fine. I thought I was going to die in the summer, you just get no relief without air conditioning.

Gustav

Banned
Ya, the ones I was in were pretty small but I didn't know how expensive bigger ones are. Most people I knew had more college like apartments I guess you could call them, they had separate rooms that were kind of small but at the end of the hall they had common rooms with a TV and other stuff.

Apartments for families are normally around 1300sqft.

Summer is only painful because it seems no one in Germany believes in air conditioning. Otherwise, it would be pretty much fine. I thought I was going to die in the summer, you just get no relief without air conditioning.

It's bad for the environment and deemed unnecessary in general.

Fritz

Actually I can't see any significant difference to any other country I've been to. You got cities with central appartment buildings and spreading suburbs at the outskirts. And then you have rural communities where everyone lives in a house. Is that different anywhere else in the world?

TCRS

Banned
Actually I can't see any significant difference to any other country I've been to. You got cities with central appartment buildings and spreading suburbs at the outskirts. And then you have rural communities where everyone lives in a house. Is that different anywhere else in the world?

The UK is definitely different. Houses are still the norm there, even in cities. That's why London is so sprawled out. Though high rise apartment buildings (modern ones, not plattenbau types) are becoming more fashionable.

Even social housing are either houses or shitty council apartments. Social housing in Germany are usually flats. They are still somewhat acceptable from my experience, while in the UK council flats (as they are called there) are downright depressing.

At least here in Mexico, that's not the case. And from the cities I've been to in Canada and the US, it's different as well, but then again, we have tons of land over here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom