• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF spricht Deutsch, zumindest hier drinnen...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gustav

Banned
thats what DVD box sets where invented for.

:p

how do you have your proxy set up? would love US netflix [edit] or the BBC for that matter...

I use BlackVPN. Sets me back 75€ a year. You can get Netflix with a German Visa. Other credit cards supposedly don't work.

Edit: BBC works as well. The package has Us, UK and Ca servers.

Shoot me a PM if you're interested. I can hook you (and me) up with a free month or some kind of bonus if you refer to me.

Edit: just checked. You'd get 2 months for free if you use my referral.

I'll be sure to get back to you :)
will probably wait till I have my own flat and internet connection again though.

That VPN solution sounds pretty good. How much of a hassle is it to get subscriptions to Hulu, Netflix, etc. (if you even need any - I am finde with a few ads) and how is the general speed and quality? I rarely watch anything good sub HD - I rather wait for the Bluray then.

Gustav

Banned
That VPN solution sounds pretty good. How much of a hassle is it to get subscriptions to Hulu, Netflix, etc. (if you even need any - I am finde with a few ads) and how is the general speed and quality? I rarely watch anything good sub HD - I rather wait for the Bluray then.

Netflix is no hassle, as long as you have a Visa card. Hulu won't work with a German credit card but there are some providers for (international) pre paid solutions. You don't need a subscription for Hulu, though. You can also watch a lot of content on the networks websites directly (abc, nbc, etc.)

Speed depends on the day and time. I can watch HD content on Netflix fine most of the time. Hulu won't let you access HD content without subscription and the speed is generally a little slower, but nothing a little pre buffering (5-10 minutes depending on the content's length) won't fix.

Netflix is no hassle, as long as you have a Visa card. Hulu won't work with a German credit card but there are some providers for (international) pre paid solutions. You don't need a subscription for Hulu, though. You can also watch a lot of content on the networks websites directly (abc, nbc, etc.)

Speed depends on the day and time. I can watch HD content on Netflix fine most of the time. Hulu won't let you access HD content without subscription and the speed is generally a little slower, but nothing a little pre buffering (5-10 minutes depending on the content's length) won't fix.

Thanks that sounds pretty interesting. Do I need a Visa or will a Mastercard do aswell?

Charles-in-Sorge.jpg

LOL

I got this!

jarosh

If you're going for Netflix, Hulu, etc. DO NOT under any circumstances bother with a traditional VPN like BlackVPN. VPNs are slow, a hassle to deal with, expensive and often not terribly secure.

Use http://www.unblock-us.com/

It's a DNS based service that re-routes only specifc traffic like Netflix, Hulu, Vudu etc. - the only one of its kind. You turn it on once and never have to think about it again. There is no software and no installation. It doesn't affect anything else you do on the net and you'll retain your full internet speed while using services like Netflix. On top of that you'll be able to browse TEN different Netflix regions with the same subscription, giving you access to a MUCH bigger catalogue than just the one from the US. And it'll work with any of your devices in your home network (PS3, Apple TV, 360...). There's a free 7-day trial and it's only $4.99 a month. Been using it for 1.5 years, couldn't be happier. Their twitter: https://twitter.com/Unblock_Us.

Another set of questions to German-GAF...
hope it's not getting too annoying ;)
How do Germans see immigration? Is Germany immigrant-friendly? Is it common for foreigners to work there? (in skilled jobs)

I'm not planning to move there, just curious about it, since it seems that getting Germany citizenship is not immigrant-friendly at all (Working 8 consecutive years over there and giving up your previous citizenship)

yeah... that's what I thought. Especially after seeing people say things like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkt4gNbE_YE#t=3m50s

yeah such typical shit. of course there are cool and open minded people here too so don't get the wrong impression but especially this mentality of "OMG I'm losing my deutsch-ness" is very widespread unfortunately -.- comes up in arguments ALL THE FUCKING TIME. so be prepared for that. really makes me want to punch the deutsch-ness right out of their faces.
I'm not agressive at all

Gustav

Banned
Another set of questions to German-GAF...
hope it's not getting too annoying ;)
How do Germans see immigration? Is Germany immigrant-friendly? Is it common for foreigners to work there? (in skilled jobs)

I'm not planning to move there, just curious about it, since it seems that getting Germany citizenship is not immigrant-friendly at all (Working 8 consecutive years over there and giving up your previous citizenship)

Germany is not very open to professional immigration. They would rather hire a less skilled German than a foreigner, simply because it is easier for them in terms of communication.

Overall, I think it's easier for a person seeking political asylum than for high skilled workers to immigrate to and stay in Germany.

Germans are not openly hostile towards foreigners and you won't experience any blatant racism in your normal day to day life, but Germans tend to be less inclusive of foreigners. It's especially hard for Turks, Poles (which I am) and Russians. A French person for example would have no problems, I think.

In general, foreigners should stick to the big cities (Berlin, Hamburg). People there are far more inclusive and tolerant.

If you're going for Netflix, Hulu, etc. DO NOT under any circumstances bother with a traditional VPN like BlackVPN. VPNs are slow, a hassle to deal with, expensive and often not terribly secure.

It's a DNS based service that re-routes only specifc traffic like Netflix, Hulu, Vudu etc. - the only one of its kind. You turn it on once and never have to think about it again. There is no software and no installation. It doesn't affect anything else you do on the net and you'll retain your full internet speed while using services like Netflix. On top of that you'll be able to browse TEN different Netflix regions with the same subscription, giving you access to a MUCH bigger catalogue than just the one from the US. And it'll work with any of your devices in your home network (PS3, Apple TV, 360...). There's a free 7-day trial and it's only $4.99 a month. Been using it for 1.5 years, couldn't be happier. Their twitter: https://twitter.com/Unblock_Us.

Cool thank you. I will try this weekend - free trial and basic Hulu should work right?

Gustav

Banned

You're making it sound much worse than it is. Speeds are mostly fine on BlackVPN. I can stream HD content on Netflix no problem. Installation is no hassle, you just download the software, start the VPN when you need it, and its good to go. It's not significantly more expensive than the DNS service. Also, I have access to Canada, the US and UK. Not only the US.

And the biggest plus: I can take my VPN with me wherever I go. Just set up the VPN on your iPad/Laptop/smartphone and you can take it on vacation, business trips, family visits, etc.

cloudwalking

300chf ain't shit to me
You're making it sound much worse than it is. Speeds are mostly fine on BlackVPN. I can stream HD content on Netflix no problem. Installation is no hassle, you just download the software, start the VPN when you need it, and its good to go. It's not significantly more expensive than the DNS service. Also, I have access to Canada, the US and UK. Not only the US.

And the biggest plus: I can take my VPN with me wherever I go. Just set up the VPN on your iPad/Laptop/smartphone and you can take it on vacation, business trips, family visits, etc.

I think as far as ease of use you could argue for both solutions, but I find that Unblock Us is significantly cheaper. For a year of Unblock Us you pay $59.88 Canadian dollars, which amounts to just €44... That's only a little more than half what the BlackVPN subscription costs.

Gustav

Banned
I think as far as ease of use you could argue for both solutions, but I find that Unblock Us is significantly cheaper. For a year of Unblock Us you pay $59.88 Canadian dollars, which amounts to just €44... That's only a little more than half what the BlackVPN subscription costs.

You're right. I missed that it's $ not €.

Germany is not very open to professional immigration. They would rather hire a less skilled German than a foreigner, simply because it is easier for them in terms of communication.

Overall, I think it's easier for a person seeking political asylum than for high skilled workers to immigrate to and stay in Germany.

Germans are not openly hostile towards foreigners and you won't experience any blatant racism in your normal day to day life, but Germans tend to be less inclusive of foreigners. It's especially hard for Turks, Poles (which I am) and Russians. A French person for example would have no problems, I think.

In general, foreigners should stick to the big cities (Berlin, Hamburg). People there are far more inclusive and tolerant.

So I guess you mean that it's hard for those minorities because of language issues?

Both solutions have their perks but the price (125$ for 100$ Hulu Plus prepaid card) is high for something that could stop working (eg. blocking) tomorrow. Now off to Real versus ManU.

I asked in the France thread, so I'll ask here too. How welcoming is Germany for tourists, particularly Australians? In the English speaking world, being a foreigner from Europe seems to make people instantly love you and your accent, but I understand this isn't necessarily true in reverse.

Dre

I asked in the France thread, so I'll ask here too. How welcoming is Germany for tourists, particularly Australians? In the English speaking world, being a foreigner from Europe seems to make people instantly love you and your accent, but I understand this isn't necessarily true in reverse.

Australians and US citizens will have the least problems, as I see it they're one of the most welcomed foreigners in Germany, especially Australians.
I have lived in different cities/parts of Germany and never encountered any hostile attitudes towards Australians.

Wrayfield

When in trouble, just try your best Steve Irwin impression and you will be king. Germans love nature.

Seriously though, English is spoken fairly decently here so the problems Gustav's implied don't really occur. I genuinely think they are nice people. Sometimes a bit grumpy, but usually helpful and welcoming towards tourists. Service can be a bit shite, but quite honestly, it's not discrimination, service is meh for locals and tourists alike.

Gustav

Banned
When in trouble, just try your best Steve Irwin impression and you will be king. Germans love nature.

Seriously though, English is spoken fairly decently here so the problems Gustav's implied don't really occur. I genuinely think they are nice people. Sometimes a bit grumpy, but usually helpful and welcoming towards tourists. Service can be a bit shite, but quite honestly, it's not discrimination, service is meh for locals and tourists alike.

I was talking about professionals and the workplace. Germans don't want to leave their comfort zone and speak english to foreigners at work.

Hana-Bi

Frankly, Germans who haven't been to the war - and there is a good chance that those are the kind of Germans you'll meet - freaking love talking about the war. War, war, war. And politics in general. Somehow Germans think they own politics and everybody has to defend his views and rub them in your face.

Really? Haven't met any one who wants to talk about "the war". And politics in general is also done in one sentence: "Well, it doesn't matter which party gets my vote - it doesn't change a thing...".

Haunted

Most girls I know love an Australian accent in particular. Just sayin'.

Also if we're talking exported national icons, if your Steve Irwin impression isn't up to par, you can always switch to your Paul Hogan/Crocodile Dundee.

(I'd like to think that we're generally agreeable people and that most of my generation (now in their mid-twenties) do speak English fairly well ^^)

Frankly, Germans who haven't been to the war - and there is a good chance that those are the kind of Germans you'll meet - freaking love talking about the war. War, war, war. And politics in general. Somehow Germans think they own politics and everybody has to defend his views and rub them in your face.
Really? Haven't met any one who wants to talk about "the war". And politics in general is also done in one sentence: "Well, it doesn't matter which party gets my vote - it doesn't change a thing...".
It's almost like there's a whole bunch of different people living in Germany, with different interests and different priorities. :eek:

Even if you're touring Germany up and down for a couple weeks, what "the Germans" do or don't do will vary wildly depending on the particular people you interact with in that small sample.

Hana-Bi

Even if you're touring Germany up and down for a couple weeks, what "the Germans" do or don't do will vary wildly depending on the particular people you interact with in that small sample.

Yesh, maybe as a German you know your "Pappenheimer" and avoid them beforehand...

He's Australian, pray he doesn't bring any of those giant spiders with him.

I'm from Tasmania, the large Island off the southern coast. Geographically, we're more like New Zealand than the rest of Australia with lush forests, greenery everywhere, and lacking the deadly animals that make the rest of Australia so hardcore. One third of our state is national park, by area, and the scariest native animal we have is this little fellow:

492389-tasmanian-devil.jpg

Fritz

I'm from Tasmania, the large Island off the southern coast. Geographically, we're more like New Zealand than the rest of Australia with lush forests, greenery everywhere, and lacking the deadly animals that make the rest of Australia so hardcore. One third of our state is national park, by area, and the scariest native animal we have is this little fellow:

492389-tasmanian-devil.jpg

How deadly is it?

Fritz

Both rare here, whereas they are plagues on the mainland (and there are many others there too).

I think they do have those in NZ too, don't they. It's still paradise when it comes to creepy crawlers. I took a boat cruise in the bay of islands stopping at some random island. You could just lie there in the grass for hours and nothing would bother you. Even over here you would probably have a wasp sting, 5 ticks and a gazillion ant bites.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom