• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF spricht Deutsch, zumindest hier drinnen...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pennywise

... but they already have a base :S

I need to rethink my life.

Looks like you have to avoid Mexico :p
Or at least, never eat a pizza there.

@CTLance
I usually prefer to order from a delivery service that focuses on one or two culinary area like Italian food.
Something I learned the hard way is, never order from someone who has every kind of food to choose from.
And sadly the Mexican stuff is most of the time mediocre.

Fritz

EDIT: Lol. that post above mine, I immediately remembered that Hape Kerkeling film "Las Pirañas",

Sphinx, you are so effin German for knowing that movie! Nobody does and it's hilarious!

"Wer den lieben langen Tag nur im Bett liegt ist keiner von uns!"

What, there was a title change? Tell me!

vitacola

Or while I was watching a football match in Rostock(Dortmund played against them), I ordered a good old Bratwurst.
And guess what the hell I got ? A grilled Bockwurst....
Brrr
Oh, Penny.
I can't compute the fact that you thought it was a good idea to order a Bratwurst in Rostock + you did it in their stadium. Even in our stadium you don't get a top notch Bratwurst. Home "made" Thuringian Bratwurst is still the best.

If someone is interested: I hate to admit it, but Erzgebirge Aue offers the best stadium food with their Rauchwurst and pasta. So gooooood.

What, there was a title change? Tell me!
"GAF spricht Deutsch und spricht über Australien ..."

Now somebody add Mexico please ;)

It's not really as a topping, just something extra. Can't stand "dry" pizza. Need my sauce.

Also, is Mexican food rare in Germany?
[/QUOTE]

There is literally no proper Mexican food in Ruhrgebiet, I ate & ordered some 8 to 10 times, in different cities and everything's tasted worse than Taco Bell. Especially quesadillas, no one can get them right, wtf..
[edit: And I specifically looked for recommendations, yelp and such..]

I miss the Californian Taco trucks and the food I ate in Tijuana (churros, quesadillas)
[edit: I also ate intestines burritos :O]
----

Fuck Döner! Cum in the sauce, decade old meat, analogous cheese, etc..

/but then I also stopped eating meat, so I don't care lol

TCRS

Banned
what? ketchup on pizza is awesome! also,
who orders pizza online? Maybe it's a common thing over there?

jup, ordering pizza online is quite common here in Germany. Even neogaf gives me the online order ads almost every evening starting from around ~5pm. neogaf gonna make me fat all over again :/

neogafpizza2oxu8z.jpg

Ordering Pizza online is common here, too, although ever since a good Italian restaurant that did takeaway opened up about 50 meters from my house, we've just gone there to get Pizza when we want it.

CTLance

Fuck Döner! Cum in the sauce, decade old meat, analogous cheese, etc..
I suggest tarring and feathering whoever tried to poison you.

Meat must be brown and slightly crisp
Bun must be warm and soft, with sesame deco
Sauce and Salad must be fresh
Chilli must be hot

Those are the very basics of a good Döner. The absolute baseline. Demand no less from your dealer.

I haven't eaten a Döner in almost 10 years and I don't intend to change that, ever (especially now that I don't eat meat).
- most of those places use the worst meat available (remember Gammelfleischskandal?) because they don't have the bargaining power of, say McDonald's, while still trying to price their shit competitively (not that I eat at McDoof, mind you)

- depending on the place, they'll also use the cheapest ingredients they can get to give you that "2,5€ Döner".
"Analogous" goat cheese is pretty much a given, but also ingredients that are second or third grade or canned stuff that is near/post expiration. There are like whole underground markets where near/post-expiration food is being traded wholesale. I've been to one, guess for what purpose? To help a Turkish friend and his mom with groceries for their cousins' wedding (some cans/buckets were humongous, lol
[Turkish wedding are the worst, btw..]
It's not like people notice the shitty ingredients or meat since everything drowns in (hot) sauce.

- traces of sperm have been found in Döner sauces in some cities (though now that I think about it, that might be an urban legend - I don't really feel like researching it though, lol)

Most Turks I knew would never get straight up Döner and advised me to never go for it either, because that's "German's food" where all the shit gets put in. Köfte or especially imported stuff like that garlic-seasoned sausage is supposed to be way better.

Fritz

jup, ordering pizza online is quite common here in Germany. Even neogaf gives me the online order ads almost every evening starting from around ~5pm. neogaf gonna make me fat all over again :/

The online food delivery business is total war. Lieferheld/delivery hero is aiming for world domination. Those guys are ridiculous. I think the Samwer brothers opened the whole online business in germany up to some really questionable managing styles.

That said, I am hung over and hungry. What to eat?

sphinx

the piano man
well, a bit late to the mexican thing but as a Mexican, I can safely say: there is no mexican food in Germany, at all.

in the few restaurants I have been, there's always adaptions or re-imaginations of what is commonly perceived as mexican food but it doesn't come close, sadly :/

maybe in a bigger city (Berlin? Munich?) there could be a special market to buy specific stuff like corn tortillas and beans, I remember in Vienna there was a store run by mexicans for mexicans that had the real stuff, canned beans, real tortillas, things mexicans would acknowledge as their food.

Dr.Acula

Banned
I went to this central American place, "Que Pasa," in Berlin, near Oranienburger Str. It was okay, but deffo a restaurant-style burrito. The plate was hot, and it had melted cheese on it, and you pretty much had to use a knife and fork. They did give me a shot of tequila at the end. A Chinese place in Munster gave me a shot of liqueur with my meal as well.

I keep wandering into these "fancy" places. They have candles and shit. I want cheap Mexican and Chinese damnit!

I met up with Fritz yesterday, and we checked out the video-game museum here in Berlin. It was pretty cool actually, I'd recommend it.

Also, where in Berlin can I find this Toast Hawaii you speak of?

That said, I am hung over and hungry. What to eat?

Damn you for having all the choice in the world in Berlin, lol

Go Vietnamese!

well, a bit late to the mexican thing but as a Mexican, I can safely say: there is no mexican food in Germany, at all.

in the few restaurants I have been, there's always adaptions or re-imaginations of what is commonly perceived as mexican food but it doesn't come close, sadly :/

maybe in a bigger city (Berlin? Munich?) there could be special market to buy specific stuff like corn tortillas and beans, I remember in Vienna there was a store run by mexicans for mexicans that had the real stuff, canned beans, real tortillas, things mexicans would acknowledge as their food.

Yeah, pretty much. It's just like with Taco Bell in US or "Chinese" food in Germany where you'll eat bad recreations of Indonesian food because they're deemed to most compatible here.
But I'm pretty sure you're pretty much set in Berlin, I know Vietnamese people are so I'm pretty sure it applies to Mexican food too.

Fritz

I wouldn't know about authenticity, but mexican food got some real momentum in Berlin last year with stuff like Dolores popping up. Well I love it but it's probably more of the North American fusion kind.

btw. I met up with Dr.Acula yesterday! we went to the Computerspiele Museum which was surprisingly awesome. Really fun meeting Gaffers irl. We should totaly rethink that German GAF meet-up.

I went to this central American place, "Que Pasa," in Berlin, near Oranienburger Str. It was okay, but deffo a restaurant-style burrito. The plate was hot, and it had melted cheese on it, and you pretty much had to use a knife and fork. They did give me a shot of tequila at the end. A Chinese place in Munster gave me a shot of liqueur with my meal as well.

I keep wandering into these "fancy" places. They have candles and shit. I want cheap Mexican and Chinese damnit!

I met up with Fritz yesterday, and we checked out the video-game museum here in Berlin. It was pretty cool actually, I'd recommend it.

Also, where in Berlin can I find this Toast Hawaii you speak of?

Jupp, beaten!

I don't think anyone serves toast hawaii these days. Probably some random restaurant.

Phantast2k, the options are what's killing me right now! The Vietnamese food pics make me want to get Ramen :(
I think I'll make a coffee now. First things first right?

Milchjon

I wouldn't know about authenticity, but mexican food got some real momentum in Berlin last year with stuff like Dolores popping up. Well I love it but it's probably more of the North American fusion kind.

btw. I met up with Dr.Acula yesterday! we went to the Computerspiele Museum which was surprisingly awesome. Really fun meeting Gaffers irl. We should totaly rethink that German GAF meet-up.

Dolores sounds nice, is it any good? I only have Chipotle as a baseline comparison, did you ever get the chance to try that?

Also, meeting Gaffers is actually pretty nice, at least judging from my one experience. Met a fellow NFL Gaffer when I visited Boston. The shared experiences on GAF give you a lot of stuff to talk about.

sphinx

the piano man
the worst offender is the "Mexican Salad" XD

mexikanischer-salat.jpg

beans and corn DO NOT turn random stuff into mexican food!

if you served that to any mexicans they'd think " hey, that's some good stuff you are smoking back there in your kitchen, let's go there instead and throw this shit in the trash while we are it" hahahahaha

Gustav

Banned

Jupp, beaten!

I don't think anyone serves toast hawaii these days. Probably some random restaurant.

Phantast2k, the options are what's killing me right now! The Vietnamese food pics make me want to get Ramen :(
I think I'll make a coffee now. First things first right?

Glad you liked the museum, a former teacher of mine runs it. :)

Dolores is my personal Nemesis. My old boss used to go there EVERY FUCKING DAY!

Fritz

Dolores sounds nice, is it any good? I only have Chipotle as a baseline comparison, did you ever get the chance to try that?

Also, meeting Gaffers is actually pretty nice, at least judging from my one experience. Met a fellow NFL Gaffer when I visited Boston. The shared experiences on GAF give you a lot of stuff to talk about.

Never tried Chipotle. Looks great though. I never really had Mexican food before last summer at Dolores but that was good yeah. Nowadays I go to this little vendor at the Friedrichstrasse subway station for lunch breaks. It's run by a turkish family so I don't know how genuinely Mexican it is but I love it either way.

Glad you liked the museum, a former teacher of mine runs it. :)

Dolores is my personal Nemesis. My old boss used to go there EVERY FUCKING DAY!

Wicked! It was really neat. Dr.Alucard and I said we didn't expect that amount of content. I mean it's not a super big exhibition but certainly 1 - 2 hours well spend. I might be going back today because I want to get one of the Street Fighter II etchings from the museum shop. I ficking love museum shops.

Where do you go for lunch anyway? Hackescher Markt? Because anything right at Alexanderplatz must be utter crap.

I've noticed Turkey getting mentioned a fair bit in the thread. Is there a story behind this? A lot of Turkish immigrants or something? I recall that the Ottomans Empire and German Empire had good diplomatic relations but it seems like a strange destination for a Turkish migrant, unless I'm missing something.

Gustav

Banned
Never tried Chipotle. Looks great though. I never really had Mexican food before last summer at Dolores but that was good yeah. Nowadays I go to this little vendor at the Friedrichstrasse subway station for lunch breaks. It's run by a turkish family so I don't know how genuinely Mexican it is but I love it either way.

Wicked! It was really neat. Dr.Alucard and I said we didn't expect that amount of content. I mean it's not a super big exhibition but certainly 1 - 2 hours well spend. I might be going back today because I want to get one of the Street Fighter II etchings from the museum shop. I ficking love museum shops.

Where do you go for lunch anyway? Hackescher Markt? Because anything right at Alexanderplatz must be utter crap.

Mostly around Alexanderplatz. Soup Kultur is pretty decent, as well as Pizza Scheune and Alte Fritz (very good Bratkartoffeln). Most of the time we end up at the Alexa food court though. Nothing too spectacular. It's funny that you almost can't get any decent food at Alexanderplatz.

I've noticed Turkey getting mentioned a fair bit in the thread. Is there a story behind this? A lot of Turkish immigrants or something? I recall that the Ottomans Empire and German Empire had good diplomatic relations but it seems like a strange destination for a Turkish migrant, unless I'm missing something.

Turks were invited as "Gastarbeiter" to work in Germany during the 60s and 70s, during the post war economy boom. Many of them decided to stay here, making them the second biggest minority behind the so called "Russlanddeutsche".

Krelian

You are missing something:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turks_in_Germany
http://www.spiegel.de/international...eption-and-wasted-opportunities-a-716067.html

Mostly around Alexanderplatz. Soup Kultur is pretty decent, as well as Pizza Scheune and Alte Fritz (very good Bratkartoffeln). Most of the time we end up at the Alexa food court though. Nothing too spectacular. It's funny that you almost can't get any decent food at Alexanderplatz.

hands down, best place to eat in berlin: yoyo foodworld <3

Turks were invited as "Gastarbeiter" to work in Germany during the 60s and 70s, during the post war economy boom. Many of them decided to stay here, making them the second biggest minority behind the so called "Russlanddeutsche".

This makes more sense now. Thanks.

Or danke, or what have you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom