• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF spricht Deutsch, zumindest hier drinnen...

Status
Not open for further replies.
everythingwentbetterthanexpected.jpg

now I can finally try out my new TV properly. Playing on a +22" screen is a revelation, I don't know how I managed to play through this whole gen on a that (relatively) tiny screen. Together with the Superlux headphones (20 euros) this is the most fun I have had in ages.

Glad to hear you're enjoying yourself. I do the majority of my gaming on PC, so a 22" is pretty close to what I use most of the time... but obviously I'm sitting much closer to it.

YES heute läuft traumfrau gesucht. this + the fact that I'm wearing pyjama pants all day playing metro = assi-überwin
I think I reached a new low today but it feels good.

demented

I'm starting my German classes on Monday at university's language center, decided it's time to learn new language since 8 years of french through school didn't really stick(no interest and bad system back then) and German seemed perfect fit due to many factors(economics, location, travel, favorite composers, philosophers, writers, CV, for phd work etc) and I have some knowledge of it already.

Now, I know everyone's different and it depends how much effort you put in it but I plan to do as much as I can to learn as fast as I can. I'll be having 2 1.5 hours classes per week for 3 months at beginner level and then same at higher level next semester but I want to improve faster than that at my own time. As soon as I have basics I'll start reading websites in German, already got people on IMs I can practice with, verbal practice might be harder but skype's always there and I do like traveling and Germany/Austria/Switzerland aren't too far (tho practicing in Switzerland would probably do me more harm with all those dialects :p)

But what I want to know and why I'm writing this is, I want to start reading books in German as fast as I can. I could start with simple stuff (first magazines and online then simpler books) but I really want to get to read Kafka, Nietzsche, Kant, Hegel, Marx etc in their native language. Now I was wondering what's the best way for me to get to that level, should I not try until I can do xx or read xx etc

Gonna put a lot effort into this, probably continue for next few years until I'm good enough(and enough in my book is a lot) and then I'll focus on 2 other languages I need to work on.

Tips, thoughts, advice?

Fritz

You could always get the desired book, and if it is too hard at this point let it rest and take it as an incentive and a way to measure your progress. Be careful with the philosophers though as they tend to develop their own unique set of language especially vocabulary. You don't want to talk like Nietzsche writes.

wrowa

I'm starting my German classes on Monday at university's language center, decided it's time to learn new language since 8 years of french through school didn't really stick(no interest and bad system back then) and German seemed perfect fit due to many factors(economics, location, travel, favorite composers, philosophers, writers, CV, for phd work etc) and I have some knowledge of it already.

Now, I know everyone's different and it depends how much effort you put in it but I plan to do as much as I can to learn as fast as I can. I'll be having 2 1.5 hours classes per week for 3 months at beginner level and then same at higher level next semester but I want to improve faster than that at my own time. As soon as I have basics I'll start reading websites in German, already got people on IMs I can practice with, verbal practice might be harder but skype's always there and I do like traveling and Germany/Austria/Switzerland aren't too far (tho practicing in Switzerland would probably do me more harm with all those dialects :p)

But what I want to know and why I'm writing this is, I want to start reading books in German as fast as I can. I could start with simple stuff (first magazines and online then simpler books) but I really want to get to read Kafka, Nietzsche, Kant, Hegel, Marx etc in their native language. Now I was wondering what's the best way for me to get to that level, should I not try until I can do xx or read xx etc

Gonna put a lot effort into this, probably continue for next few years until I'm good enough(and enough in my book is a lot) and then I'll focus on 2 other languages I need to work on.

Tips, thoughts, advice?

I'm not sure if there's an easy way to read any of these books, but it might be a good idea to pick up one of Kafka's many short stories. He's likely the easiest of the bunch to read and starting with a short story is probably less frustrating.

demented

You could always get the desired book, and if it is too hard at this point let it rest and take it as an incentive and a way to measure your progress. Be careful with the philosophers though as they tend to develop their own unique set of language especially vocabulary. You don't want to talk like Nietzsche writes.

This I'll keep in mind. Thanks guys! Can't wait to learn and then read :)

vitacola

2nVaZzn.jpg

Milchjon

I'm eating some frozen pizza salami right now, and I'm starting to feel like the only thing this scandal does for me is taking away my "fear" of horse meat.

Scary to see the reach of a single supplier though.

TCRS

Banned
YES heute läuft traumfrau gesucht. this + the fact that I'm wearing pyjama pants all day playing metro = assi-überwin
I think I reached a new low today but it feels good.

tumblr_mfg35h5GqU1qiuiebo1_500.jpg

I bought frozen pizza today. Was so looking forward to it. Then I realised that I don't have a grill for my oven... sadfrog.jpg

tumblr_mfg35h5GqU1qiuiebo1_500.jpg

I bought frozen pizza today. Was so looking forward to it. Then I realised that I don't have a grill for my oven... sadfrog.jpg

oh man :D I didn't even bother to change for going outside but my little brother's friend assured me it looked cool. so I guess that's what the peasants call swag. hell yeah

tumblr_mdd3jbQxJe1qgwqw9o1_500.gif

why do you need a grill? :O can't you use it without one?

Milchjon

what the fuck. dogs are awesome. I wouldn't know what to do without my cute three-legged hungarian prince <3 people are bad people.

I never had a positive real life experience with a dog. Unless you count the dog of one of my former bosses shitting in the office of his co-boss.

He also puked in the little library we had there.

I never had a positive real life experience with a dog. Unless you count the dog of one of my former bosses shitting in the office of his co-boss.

He also puked in the little library we had there.

they are like human babies, but much cuter.
also a lot of dogs eat their own puke afterwards so there's that, too!

Pennywise

was ist los hier

I'm thinking about possibilities to escape from my exams on Wednesday.

Alcohol would be a wise decision for a well deserverd mental break.
But I guess I would just run into the next mall with a megaphone and scream "Hello, I'm Commander Sheppard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel".

I'm thinking about possibilities to escape from my exams on Wednesday.

Alcohol would be a wise decision for a well deserverd mental break.
But I guess I would just run into the next mall with a megaphone and scream "Hello, I'm Commander Sheppard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel".

is it exam time on german unis or what, everyone here seems to have exams these days

Pennywise

is it exam time on german unis or what, everyone here seems to have exams these days

For me it's not the University :<
Even though I'm almost through with the evening school, I still got some exams before my finals.
But by the end of the year I'm most likely part of that circle University as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom