• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF spricht Deutsch, zumindest hier drinnen...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shiggy

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
:lol What a douchebag!

On a better note :p Can someone tell me what the word this guy says means? It's literally the first word he says when you load the video. I'm assuming it's a position in the army?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZAfPyEPGSI#t=1m21s

Well, even I did not understand it from the position you linked.
"Kein Mensch in unseren Kreisen hat gedacht, dass es zu solch einem Völkermord kommt."
Völkermord = genocide

Shiggy said:
Well, even I did not understand it from the position you linked.
"Kein Mensch in unseren Kreisen hat gedacht, dass es zu solch einem Völkermord kommt."
Völkermord = genocide

He said Voelkermord? Yikes, do germans usually put a harder sound on a word like "mord"? It seems like the ending was just left off when he said it. Sounded like voelkermo instead of voelkermord. So hard to hear sometimes. :(

And Wolfmat, the first two paragraphs you wrote was just about Steve Jobs death and how you're usually sympathetic but you felt like you were on another planet because of the emotions of others regarding his death and how people like Gary Whitta and newsanchors would break down crying over it. I'm too lazy to read the rest though. I'm too busy watching the youtube videos Fritz posted. :(

Fritz

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
He said Voelkermord? Yikes, do germans usually put a harder sound on a word like "mord"? It seems like the ending was just left off when he said it. Sounded like voelkermo instead of voelkermord. So hard to hear sometimes. :(

And Wolfmat, the first two paragraphs you wrote was just about Steve Jobs death and how you're usually sympathetic but you felt like you were on another planet because of the emotions of others regarding his death and how people like Gary Whitta and newsanchors would break down crying over it. I'm too lazy to read the rest though. I'm too busy watching the youtube videos Fritz posted. :(

I think he is hard to understand due to age and dental prothesis. Cool that you like the vids. I am pretty grounded by some of them now.

Shiggy

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:

He stresses other words (Rechtsanwalt) a bit weird, I cannot say for sure where he's from. From my experience, it's not common. Might be related to his emotions or it might depend on the region he's from. I'm no linguist ;)

Fritz said:
I think he is hard to understand due to age and dental prothesis. Cool that you like the vids. I am pretty grounded by some of them now.

Or that.

Bonk

To add something for the German learners:

http://www.interviewproject.de/

David Lynch produced the project of his son interviewing various people in Germany while traveling the country. A whole lot of different people with different stories and different accents. Presented totally sober, no commentary, no sensationalism just ordinary life in all it's variations.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
:lol Have you seen some of my craptastic posts in german? Don't sweat it. ;)

But you can read German pretty well, no? Mein Deutsch ist ziemlich schlecht, vielleicht kann ich wieder zu meinem alten Niveau der Durchschnittlichkeit.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
The bolded part is wrong. I'm generally left unmoved by deaths of famous people.

And the essence towards the end is that the disparity between my emotional indifference and the general outpouring of emotions of the public makes me feel inadequate, like there was something wrong with me. And there's something about my tendency to not take such outpourings seriously; although I ought to take them at face value, I unwillingly regard them as fake. That makes me feel uneasy and unlikeable.

Ah, ok. I didn't really think much about age since he's not the first person I didn't understand what they were saying due to how they pronounced it but other native germans seem to have no problem so I was just curious if it is said differently then I thought it would be.

Dutch Patriot said:
But you can read German pretty well, no? Mein Deutsch ist ziemlich schlecht, vielleicht kann ich wieder zu meinem alten Niveau der Durchschnittlichkeit.

It's really hit or miss. Somethings I understand without even translating it in my head to english, it just makes sense so to speak and then other stuff is just completely out there.

Edit: For example I understood you fine until you said "Niveau der Durchschnittlichkeit" then I had no idea what kind of horrible names you were calling me. I know what it means now from using a translation site but that totally threw me when I saw it.

wolfmat said:
The bolded part is wrong. I'm generally left unmoved by deaths of famous people.

And the essence towards the end is that the disparity between my emotional indifference and the general outpouring of emotions of the public makes me feel inadequate, like there was something wrong with me. And there's something about my tendency to not take such outpourings seriously; although I ought to take them at face value, I unwillingly regard them as fake. That makes me feel uneasy and unlikeable.

Boo, I was close enough. GO HOME. :p

Bakphoon

Ich bin grad zufälligerweise über diesen Thread gestolpert. Es fühlt sich aber komisch an auf GAF auf deutsch zu schreiben :/

sphinx

the piano man
Well, I wanted to add that German isn't my first language and as such I have the typical difficulties of someone who learned late in their life:

.- no idea about the gender of things (Der, Die, Das? I have no fucking idea in many cases)
.- Because of the point above, impossiblity to decline properly, even though I know the cases by heart.
.- Sintaxis in German is hell. (Put the verb at the beginning, you mean something, put it at the end of the sentence and you mean something else, put it anywhere else and you are most likely using it wrong)

it sucks that unless you are a native speaker, your chances of speaking fehlerfrei at some point in your life are very, very slim.

Shiggy

Bonk said:
To add something for the German learners:

http://www.interviewproject.de/

David Lynch produced the project of his son interviewing various people in Germany while traveling the country. A whole lot of different people with different stories and different accents. Presented totally sober, no commentary, no sensationalism just ordinary life in all it's variations.

Don't know whether that's much of a help for German learners, the stories are interesting, but I doubt they make much sense to someone trying to learn the language.

Ah, ok. I didn't really think much about age since he's not the first person I didn't understand what they were saying due to how they pronounced it but other native germans seem to have no problem so I was just curious if it is said differently then I thought it would be.

It'll get even more difficult if you go into certain regions. When I moved to south of Germany, I bought some stuff at the supermarket and the cashier was telling me something - I had no clue what she was saying, neither did my mother :D

Shiggy said:
Don't know whether that's much of a help for German learners, the stories are interesting, but I doubt they make much sense to someone trying to learn the language.

It'll get even more difficult if you go into certain regions. When I moved to south of Germany, I bought some stuff at the supermarket and the cashier was telling me something - I had no clue what she was saying, neither did my mother :D

Well I'm glad your german sucks like mine does then! :D

vitacola

Fritz said:
Ich mag Prinz Pi! Don't know why though. I can't see any major skills apart from "storytelling".
That's what I love about him. He's one of the last Dichter and Denker in German rap music.

What do you think about K.I.Z.?

Alright guys, I have to go to bed now or the Fachhochschule (University of Applied Sciences) will kill me tomorrow :D

Gute Nacht.

vitacola said:
I think, that it's easier to understand if you change the "in denen" with "in which".
For example:
"There are just a few films in which (or where) the main character dies."
"Es gibt nur sehr wenige Filme, in denen der Hauptcharakter stirbt."

The "that" you are thinking of would be "die" in this case, because you are describing an object.
"I loved the person that is dead now."
"Ich liebte die Person, die nun tot ist."

The "dass" is used to express an intention, a consequence or a reaction.
For example:
"It was so sad that I had to cry."
"Es war so traurig, dass ich heulen musste."

The "in" just describes, where the subtitles are "in the films" -> "in den Filmen". It must be used in this sentence.
Like I said above, it would be "In which the subtitles ..." or "Where the subtitles ..."

"Dem" refers to "was die Personen sagen".
("That" refers to "what the persons are saying".)
That's one of the wonderful examples of the problems German causes can create for non native speakers.

I hope that the examples help. (little test: How would you translate this sentence?)
Woah, that's hard to explain. I don't want to be a teacher :D

I'm blind so I didn't see this post before... Using the word in is just weird because if it means where by itself you don't use in with that in english and it makes sense as "in which" but since where is also acceptable why would you not just say "where" instead since it's less words? That's the only thing that seems weird is that it just feels unnecessary if the original word translate to how you would say it in english. The "dem" I only don't understand because you say "what the people are saying" after you use dem. You can't use dem to reference something you haven't even said yet can you? All the things I was talk where you just use the article to refer back to a word it was a word in a previous sentence or hauptsatz.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
sphinx said:
Well, I wanted to add that German isn't my first language and as such I have the typical difficulties of someone who learned late in their life:

.- no idea about the gender of things (Der, Die, Das? I have no fucking idea in many cases)
.- Because of the point above, impossiblity to decline properly, even though I know the cases by heart.
.- Sintaxis in German is hell. (Put the verb at the beginning, you mean something, put it at the end of the sentence and you mean something else, put it anywhere else and you are most likely using it wrong)

it sucks that unless you are a native speaker, your chances of speaking fehlerfrei at some point in your life are very, very slim.
I've got one more for you: Zusammengesetzte Hauptwörter. They tend to confuse non-native speakers. The greatest thing is that you can just do it without any rules. Like this one: Stifthalterfeinschliffgutachterlehrgangspausengetümmelreport

vitacola

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
I'm blind so I didn't see this post before... Using the word in is just weird because if it means where by itself you don't use in with that in english and it makes sense as "in which" but since where is also acceptable why would you not just say "where" instead since it's less words? That's the only thing that seems weird is that it just feels unnecessary if the original word translate to how you would say it in english.
The South Germans (Baden-Württemberg and Bayern) sometimes use the direct translation of "where" ("wo") to express the same as for example "in denen". But this is only dialect. Why we don't use it in Hochdeutsch? Probably because we like to use many words to confuse you foreigners :D

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
The "dem" I only don't understand because you say "what the people are saying" after you use dem. You can't use dem to reference something you haven't even said yet can you? All the things I was talk where you just use the article to refer back to a word it was a word in a previous sentence or hauptsatz.
In German it's possible and very common to refer to something what wasn't said so far. So, yeah, you can use it. But isn't it the same in English?

EDIT:
Oh, well. Seems that I'm wrong with the "But isn't it the same in English?" Just tried to build a sentence like that and failed :D

So, nun aber wirklich. Gute Nacht ;)

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Mädchenhandelsschule.

So is it a school that teaches girls the intricacies of trade, or is it a school that teaches how to trade girls? Guess you have to go there to find out.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
He, was ist gehen an hier?

Gab's net schon mal so nen deutschen Thread? Könnte schwören ich hätt mal reingeschrieben, huh.

cloudwalking

300chf ain't shit to me
sphinx said:

biggest tip i can give you is read. a lot. anything you can get your hands on, newspapers, books, websites, flyers. i struggled with the grammar in the beginning and i'm still far from perfect, i will botch a declination here or there, i forget gender articles all the time or just don't know them with words i infrequently use (my iphone is a lifesaver here). but i found i had a lot more trouble back when i didn't read as much. after a while you get a feel for things like syntax, accusative/dative/genitive and all the ugly other bits of german grammar just from reading.

i catch myself doing this sometimes: i overanalyze something i'm writing, double check everything against grammar rules and try to conform to them completely. that's how i end up making mistakes -- if i go with my gut feeling, the feeling that i've read it somewhere like this before, i'm usually right. at some point it will click.

for all the frustrations of the german language, i prefer to look at the blessings: idiot-proof spelling rules. all nouns capitalized and therefore easily identifiable. love me some compound words. much vocabulary similar to english. fun to pronounce. a rich history. i could go on...

Milchjon said:
Doch. Simpsons.

uhm ... no

Good example:

'Inflammable' means flammable?

That makes sense - in the german version it is "nicht brennbar heisst brennbar" roughly translated to "non flammable means flammable" which is !?*@!!!&$%$

Gala

Zaraki_Kenpachi: I'm glad someone could help you out! And your sentence wasn't crappy at all. Most of it was right and even with the mistakes, a native speaker could understand what you wanted to say!

vitacola: Prinz Pi is really great when it comes to lyrics. I love his album Donnerwetter. It is still one of the most listened LPs in my collection. I saw him live in late august with Rockstah, Kraftklub and Casper, but his performance was the weakest of them. However I loved how he played a lot of old songs.

ymmv: Your german is really good! I love the dutch accent, when dutch people speak german and really enjoy to listen to dutch as well, as I understand a lot because my parents and grandmother talk a lot in 'Münsterländer Plattdeutsch' which has a lot of similiarities.

So I got drunk again tonight with some german friends and two lovely japanese girls and it was really cute to see them testing their new learned german with us and the waiters in the pubs. It's amazing how much they learned in two weeks.

Hartt951

Hallo, ich hiesse Taylor, Ich komme aus San Diego... yeah I'm in my second semester of college Deutsch. Not very good yet, but I can speak a little.

Shiggy said:
Unless you are a native speaker, I feel offended now :D

:lol I'm only joking, it's nice to know that even native speakers can't understand other Germans because of their accent and what have you. I don't feel as bad when I have no idea what someone is saying now though.

vitacola said:
The South Germans (Baden-Württemberg and Bayern) sometimes use the direct translation of "where" ("wo") to express the same as for example "in denen". But this is only dialect. Why we don't use it in Hochdeutsch? Probably because we like to use many words to confuse you foreigners :D

In German it's possible and very common to refer to something what wasn't said so far. So, yeah, you can use it. But isn't it the same in English?

EDIT:
Oh, well. Seems that I'm wrong with the "But isn't it the same in English?" Just tried to build a sentence like that and failed :D

So, nun aber wirklich. Gute Nacht ;)

So I guess one last small question related to that... Is there ever an instance that you would use denen by itself? Or does it always have to be used with the preposition "in"? If it always just has to be used with in than it's like shooting fish in a barrel. :p

And that's weird that you can refer to something you haven't even said yet. I don't think there's anything like that in english. You always have to declare, for lack of a better term, what you're talking about and then you can use pronouns and stuff to refer to it but not before.

cloudwalking

300chf ain't shit to me
Diprosalic said:
geile siech.

beim osx kann man auch schweizerdeutsch einstellen und dann heisst das datum 'Mäntig' 'Zischtig' und so weiter. :)
awesome, didn't know that. gonna switch it!

vitacola

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
So I guess one last small question related to that... Is there ever an instance that you would use denen by itself? Or does it always have to be used with the preposition "in"? If it always just has to be used with in than it's like shooting fish in a barrel. :p
It's used sometimes to express an ownership of more than one Person, but "deren" would be the better version. But there are quite a lot possibilities to use "denen" without "in":
http://www.dict.cc/?s=denen (good site by the way)

You are gonna love the German grammar ;)

vitacola said:
It's used sometimes to express an ownership of more than one Person, but "deren" would be the better version. But there are quite a lot possibilities to use "denen" without "in":
http://www.dict.cc/?s=denen (good site by the way)

You are gonna love the German grammar ;)

I don't know grammar isn't terrible as long as I don't try to make really long sentences like I might say in english. I think it's much more annoying to remember the words, especially when it's the same as english because I second guess myself that I'm not remembering correctly but it's the same just possibly pronounced differently. So many words I forget if they're der, die, or das too. I know which declension they should take I just don't know which gender the word is. Not the first word that the definition changes completely when you have a preposition in front of it. :p

Hartt951 said:
Hallo, ich hiesse Taylor, Ich komme aus San Diego... yeah I'm in my second semester of college Deutsch. Not very good yet, but I can speak a little.

Don't be afraid to post then whether you just want to practice writing in German or you have a question about how something works you should participate too! :D

Gambit

Milchjon said:
Doch. Simpsons.

That's somewhat true, not because of the jokes themselves, but I think German Homer has a much better voice. Sadly some of the jokes cannot be translated, of course.

So, to add to the dubbing debate. I also used to think dubbing was always bad, but now I differentiate. Dubbing comedy is practically never as good as the original. (With the Simpsons I only like Homer's voice better. Not the overall translation). Friends is almost unwatchable and Seinfeld is abysmal. They have gotten better, though. It seems they are at least trying with "how I met your mother". Nevertheless, it´s still not the same.

With non-comedy programmes like action, sci-fi, chick flicks etc, I don't think the dubbing makes much of a difference in terms of quality. The few nuances that are lost are offset by allowing many more people to enjoy it in the first place. (My grandmother won't be watching anything with subtitles and even with my parents it is highly doubtful). So, I think the benefits outweigh the loss in quality.

Another thing: with animated movies, I sometimes prefer the German dubbing. These films are "dubbed" in the first place, so they are much easier to do justice. This is especially true for traditionally animated Disney films. With computer animation and motion-capturing we are back to the old problem with the lip movment of characters.

Anyway, to end my ramblings. When I watch things on my own, I always go for the original - if I have the choice. But when I go to the cinema with friends, I don't mind the dubbing. It's not that big a deal, e.g. Die Hard 4 is ridiculous in either language.

sphinx said:

-Der, Die, Das is still a crapshoot for me at times. The only advice I have is anything ending with something like -keit, -heit, -ung, -schaft, and -ik are always feminine. Ex. Die MusIK, die PolitiIK, die LandSCHAFT, etc.
These will always be feminine because of the end of the work.

Similarly if there's a word that is made up of 2 words, it will always have the gender of the last word Ex. Rathaus. Even if you don't know what Rathaus means you know the word haus and it's the last word so therefore it is the same gender as Haus so it's DAS Rathaus.

- Syntax isn't too bad once you get used to the groups. It might have different meaning due to an idiom if you can it but it's mostly just following the rules of their grammar. If you have a second sentence that is joined by "aber, denn, und, sondern, oder" it is the same structure as a normal sentence. Ex. Fritz geht gern zu Fuss zur Arbeit ODER er faehrt mit dem Faharrad. As you can see after ODER it keeps the structure of subject, then verb, then everything else. There's other tips for remembering which is which, in that case it's usually remembered by ADUSO or that's how I was taught.

Not to say it isn't still difficult since I still struggle myself obviously but hopefully those tips help you a little bit with the language.

Milchjon said:
Doch. Simpsons.

Simpsons ist DAS Beispiel für schlechte Übersetzungen. Die Stimmen sind teilweise ganz lustig, aber der Wortwitz und popkulturelle Referenzen werden oft komplett zerstört.

Der Klassiker schlechthin: Aus "Butthead Memorial Auditorium" wird "Arschkopf-Gedächtnis-Auditorium". Das ist so unfähig übersetzt, dass es schon wieder lustig ist.

Goldmund

Hammer24 said:
Kann man sich im Deutsch-thread als Deutscher outen, wenn man Fußball für einen lahmen Mädchensport hält?
Natürlich. Nur warum möchtest du dich darüberhinaus als Frauenhasser outen? Mädchen- ist nun wirklich kein Pejorativum.

Krelian

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
- Syntax isn't too bad once you get used to the groups. It might have different meaning due to an idiom if you can it but it's mostly just following the rules of their grammar. If you have a second sentence that is joined by "aber, denn, und, sondern, oder" it is the same structure as a normal sentence. Ex. Fritz geht gern zu Fuss zur Arbeit ODER er faehrt mit dem Faharrad? As you can see after ODER it keeps the structure of subject, then verb, then everything else. There's other tips for remembering which is which, in that case it's usually remembered by ADUSO or that's how I was taught.
Actually in your example it doesn't work because it's a question. It should be "Geht Fritz gern zu Fuß zur Arbeit oder fährt er mit dem Fahrrad?" :)
("Fritz geht gern zu Fuß zur Arbeit?" is also possible if you're surprised he's not driving or something.)

Fritz

Tatsächlich nimmt Fritz die U-Bahn zur Arbeit!

Well not at the moment. I am sick, fiese Erkältung, which sucks cause the weekend is just around the corner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom