• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF spricht Deutsch, zumindest hier drinnen...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenka

"Ich tue mein Bestens", seriously ? Hell, that's awful you were fully right. Childhood moments in Zürich raped.

Pennywise said:
Gütersloh :p
Also im Prinzip direkt daneben.
Bielefeld existiert nicht. Ich dachte, dass wäre auch in meiner Kreisstadt angekommen...
Ich wohne in Rietberg. Also ca. 40km von dem Punkt, wo sich angeblich dieses Bielefeld befindet und ca. 20km von Gütersloh entfernt.

habt ihr mir vielleicht etwas Redewendungen und die ähnliche zu erzählen? sie sind mir ganz wichtig, damit ich die Sprache/Kultur besser kennen kann!

ich kenne ein paar, aber noch nicht kenne ich, ob die in alltags gehen oder sie witz sind

'das A und O' wesentlichen Sachen, am meisten gebraucht
'aus den Federn!' rise and shine!
'er macht so hintenherum' 'he does it around the back (through devious means)'
'worauf will er/whatever hinaus' what are you implying?

und dann

"Aber was denn!" -come on now!
und
Ach was! Ach wo!" -never! nonsense!

what are the contexts? where don't i say this type of stuff? i know which idioms in English to use around people of all walks of life without breaking barriers, but with German i have not even the faintest idea.

und kann jemand mir erklären "es kommt auf den Blick!", so viele Deutsche haben mir das gesagt, und ich die grunde Bedeutung in der Context verstehen, aber was ist die Bedeutung von jemand, der sehr gut Englisch sprechen kann.

from what i understand it's like "it will come to you, it will be shown" and that's about the translation of the phrase, but there has to be a corresponding English idiom that would help me give it meaning i suppose

danke!

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Are you sure that's german?

Edit: Ya, I'm pretty sure that's not german. There's a word armselig but not armseelig.

I think the word might've been misspelled. 100% sure its' German because it was posted by a German friend on an Oktoberfest pic

cloudwalking

300chf ain't shit to me
boundedseven said:
I think the word might've been misspelled. 100% sure its' German because it was posted by a German friend on an Oktoberfest pic

dunno, some sort of dialect/slang? in any case i have no idea what would be meant by it and neither did my husband when i asked him.

"armselig" means pathetic, though

maeh2k

Alpha-Bromega said:
und kann jemand mir erklären "es kommt auf den Blick!", so viele Deutsche haben mir das gesagt, und ich die grunde Bedeutung in der Context verstehen, aber was ist die Bedeutung von jemand, der sehr gut Englisch sprechen kann.
danke!

I'm German and I've never heard anyone say "es kommt auf den Blick!". :)
Makes no sense to me.

really? could be a far south or even swiss thing, i've heard it from all sorts of people. Usually in regards to when i'll understand something; "aber kann ich gar nicht deutsch!" "kein Problem! es kommt auf den Blick"

or "was! wie konnte ich da arbeiten, wenn ich kein deutsch kann?" "lol, es ist soo einfach, es kommt auf den blick"

LazyLoki

Alpha-Bromega said:
really? could be a far south or even swiss thing, i've heard it from all sorts of people. Usually in regards to when i'll understand something; "aber kann ich gar nicht deutsch!" "kein Problem! es kommt auf den Blick"

or "was! wie konnte ich da arbeiten, wenn ich kein deutsch kann?" "lol, es ist soo einfach, es kommt auf den blick"

You sure it's only "Es kommt auf den Blick"?

What would make more sense: "Es kommt auf den Blickwinkel an", which means "It depends on the point of view".
Aside from that, I dunno. I'm fom the south and didn't hear anything like that, ever.

Ostinatto

8579.jpg

LazyLoki said:
You sure it's only "Es kommt auf den Blick"?

What would make more sense: "Es kommt auf den Blickwinkel an", which means "It depends on the point of view".
Aside from that, I dunno. I'm fom the south and didn't hear anything like that, ever.

i'll have to investigate this anomaly further, just take my word that i've heard it often enough that i'm not making it up :p all time's its been used as a way to say 'itll come to you'

who knows? it could be so many ways specific, there's lots of idioms i aint never heard in english that don't make sense. and i use lots that people just one city over never did hear

jarosh

Alpha-Bromega said:
i'll have to investigate this anomaly further, just take my word that i've heard it often enough that i'm not making it up :p all time's its been used as a way to say 'itll come to you'

who knows? it could be so many ways specific, there's lots of idioms i aint never heard in english that don't make sense. and i use lots that people just one city over never did hear
you must have misheard. that really doesn't mean anything. you say you've heard it a lot, but it honestly doesn't even sound like slang or a particular dialect. SOMEONE in here would be familiar with it. it also really doesn't even sound like an idiom in the first place. it makes zero sense. you'll find something on google for even the most obscure and out-of-date swiss german region specific expressions and idioms. but not for this. "es kommt auf den blick" is just an incomplete sentence, not an idiom.

could everyone have been saying something different altogether and you didn't realize?

vitacola

Genug Humpen sind ja im Banner, aber wo sind die Hupen?

The idiom Problem:
all time's its been used as a way to say 'itll come to you'

Maybe "Es kommt der Augenblick." or "Es kommt auf den Augenblick drauf an"?

Should be something like this. I think. I hope. Maybe. ;)

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Goldrusher said:
There we go.
Now it has all the countries where it's an official language.

I also took the liberty to add some nifty ripples.

q1s0Z.jpg
You could add Majorca and the Canary Islands.

/twat

Phantast2k said:
^
lol ;(

I do. As for the sources..no idea.

*googling Wirtschaftsenglisch vokabeln*
http://www.sprachurlaub.de/service/sprachfuehrer-wirtschaftsenglisch.pdf
http://www.thee.de/Files/bwl-Vokabeln.pdf

If you still miss some specific ones, just ask.

Cool, nothing in particular yet but I may have to take a class or two in german and I know the people in my english classes speak well in english but they struggle with terminology a lot like "minimum wage" and other terms that they only know in german and I'm stuck in a similar situation hearing things in german so I figured I should try to learn at least some of them before my course starts next week.

Ok, I can't find a translation for a word again... It's "Busersatzverkehr". I think verkehr means traffic but busersatz is throwing me off.

Also "Zufahrtsstraßen"

jarosh

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Ok, I can't find a translation for a word again... It's "Busersatzverkehr". I think verkehr means traffic but busersatz is throwing me off.

Also "Zufahrtsstraßen"
busersatz is made up of two words: bus and ersatz. bus = bus, ersatz = replacement.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Was bedeutet "tzzzz"? Ist das gleich wie ein "raspberry"?
I guess that would be a good comparison, but it's a bit less contemptuous I'd say. More like a "oh well, I don't care" thing. And more of a comic word (with comic in the sense of sequential art) than a real expression.

Bufbaf said:
I guess that would be a good comparison, but it's a bit less contemptuous I'd say. More like a "oh well, I don't care" thing. And more of a comic word (with comic in the sense of sequential art) than a real expression.

Ah, ok. I was just busting someone and then she said that in response so that's why I assumed that.

Klyka

Banned
Das ist immer so merkwürdig Deutsch im Internet zu lesen, oder?

Ich bin immer nur auf englischen Seiten, lese und schreibe in englischen Foren und dann ZACK auf einmal etwas Deutsches dazwischen und mein Hirn muss erstmal wieder umschalten.

Geht es Anderen auch ab und zu so?

Blablurn

ich finde... mein deutsch hört sich irgendwie sehr merkwürdig an, wenn hier schreibe. sehr gezwungen :D

so ungewohnt :-o

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Klyka said:

Ich bin immer nur auf englischen Seiten, lese und schreibe in englischen Foren und dann ZACK auf einmal etwas Deutsches dazwischen und mein Hirn muss erstmal wieder umschalten.

Naja; ab und an les ich schon mal deutsche Tech-News, und mein Facebook-Feed ist fast ausschließlich deutsch. Aber mir geht's genauso: Wenn ich auf 'ner Seite bin, auf der nur Englisch gesprochen wird, und es wird plötzlich eine andere Sprache verwendet, dann beißt sich das mit meinem konzeptionellen Verständnis der Seite; das ist natürlich auffällig und verlangt mir ein kurzfristiges Umdenken ab.
Ich kann aber nicht bestätigen, dass es sich für mich so im ganzen Internet verhält.

Was mir sauer aufstößt, ist die Tatsache, dass das deutsche Internet nahezu durchweg von Nutzern besiedelt ist, die ihre eigene Muttersprache nicht beherrschen. Noch schlimmer ist, dass deutsche Poster in Foren oft absurde Sprachkonstrukte verwenden, die selten elegant oder passend sind. Ich habe jetzt kein Beispiel dafür. Das ist mir aber schon oft aufgefallen. Und "Kurzsprech" hat sich auch im deutschen Internet festgesetzt. Ich bin davon überzeugt, dass unvollständige Sätze in der Schrift der Vorbote des Zusammenbruchs der deutschen Sprache sind. Ihre Häufigkeit im Internet ist signifikant.

Das niedrige Sprachniveau ist bestimmt darauf zurückzuführen, dass vorwiegend junge Nutzer sich im Internet sprachlich ausdrücken, die wohl durch die Bank kein Interesse daran haben, sorgfältig ihre Anliegen zu formulieren.

tl;dr: Old man yells at cloud.

Torrod

Neo Member
Klyka said:

Jap. So bin ich auf diesen thread aufmerksam geworden. Der leuchtet ja richtig raus :D. Sehr begrüßenswert.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Blablurn said:
ich finde... mein deutsch hört sich irgendwie sehr merkwürdig an, wenn hier schreibe. sehr gezwungen :D

so ungewohnt :-o
jo, das :)

Finds in rein deutschen Foren völlig normal, auf anderssprachigen Seiten wiederum total merkwürdig. Auf GAF eh. Warum schreib ich hier überhaupt rein :(

I don't think wolfmat likes me...

So in that case I have one more word! What does "Südumfliegung" mean? I've tried like 3 translating sites and none of them will translate it.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
I don't think wolfmat likes me...

So in that case I have one more word! What does "Südumfliegung" mean? I've tried like 3 translating sites and none of them will translate it.
I like everyone. I like it simple!

Südumfliegung: Süd + Umfliegung
=> Avoid something in your flight path by picking the vector south of it

wolfmat said:
I like everyone. I like it simple!

Südumfliegung: Süd + Umfliegung
=> Avoid something in your flight path by picking the vector south of it

Ah, ok. I saw Süd but even splitting umfliegung or just trying fliegung wasn't getting me anything from the sites I was using. Thanks for the help! :p

And I think I spend enough time reading german news for one day so I guess I should get some sleep.

Edit: I guess I should have guessed that but it seemed too involved of a definition for one word... Süd is south, um is around, and fliegen is to fly but it seemed too complicated for one word. :/

was meint man, wenn er "na klar" sagt?

für mich erscheint es so "well yeah" "duh" "no shit" oder? Z.b. in Klasse unserer Professor fragt ein Person "kannst du Deutsch?" - "na klar"

und dann "na gut" - "alrighty" "ok! sounds good" "okey dokey" "all right then"

i hear these in the daily in their contexts, but from someone who is damned good in english can they explain their colloquial equivalents?

jarosh

Alpha-Bromega said:
was meint man, wenn er "na klar" sagt?

für mich erscheint es so "well yeah" "duh" "no shit" oder? Z.b. in Klasse unserer Professor fragt ein Person "kannst du Deutsch?" - "na klar"

und dann "na gut" - "alrighty" "ok! sounds good" "okey dokey" "all right then"

i hear these in the daily in their contexts, but from someone who is damned good in english can they explain their colloquial equivalents?
"na klar" doesn't have any negative connotations, whereas "na gut" does. as wolfmat said, "na klar" is pretty straightforward: "of course" is the perfect english equivalent.

"na gut" on the other hand is a little more complicated: it expresses agreement/approval/consent with minor reservations, somewhat reluctantly, maybe after some deliberation or initial disagreement. there is no direct english translation that fits every potential use, but think of it as "well then (if you insist)", "if that's what you want", "if there's no other way" etc. whoever says "na gut" is usually agreeing to a minor compromise.

sphinx

the piano man
hier sind überall Ferien... -_- ...stink langweilig.

Die Sonne scheint und alle gehen in die Kermess, ich finde es aber doof.

Was macht ihr denn heute? Spielt ihr irgend ein videospiel? Ich bin dabei mein erstes Castlevania:Harmony of Dissonance Playthrough fertig zu spielen...

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
jarosh explained "na gut" very well. Because it is a minor compromise, "na gut" is usually accompanied with an extra Füllwort in the accompanying Hauptsatz; it expresses the diminishing attitude.

An example would be "Na gut, dann wasche ich halt die Teller ab"; another one would be "Na gut, dann mache ich eben meine Hausaufgaben".

A similar expression would be "Okay" (Edit: In German!). It is used in exactly the same way as "na gut" when it serves the same purpose.

Edit: Minor factoid: "Na klar" is sometimes locally used humorously and ironically, as in "Na klar, ich springe rückwärts die Treppe runter"; although you would naively expect that to mean that one agrees to jump stairs down backwards, a native speaker would immediately spot the irony because of the "na klar" expression. So it's identical to "of course" even in that sense.

sphinx

the piano man
wolfmat said:
"Na gut, dann wasche ich halt die Teller ab".

that's something I'll never understand.

Halt could somewhat be traslated as "stop" (like "Ich muss da kurz anhalten")

if we think of it, putting halt in that sentence (yours) doesn't make any sense. or am I missing something?

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
sphinx said:
that's something I'll never understand.

Halt could somewhat be traslated as "stop" (like "Ich muss da kurz anhalten")

if we think of it, putting halt in that sentence (yours) doesn't make any sense. or am I missing something?
You're missing that "halt" is ambiguous insofar as it's a Füllwort (Modalpartikel) as well as a "proper" word.

Edit: This article should expand nicely upon the concept from the perspective of non-native speakers: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_modal_particle

jarosh

ah, modal particles... most native german speakers struggle when asked to explain how they work. and i don't blame them. it doesn't help that so many of them can be adverbs as well and/or stand for something entirely different. try explaining why "vielleicht" can mean "maybe" or "perhaps" but is also a modal particle used for emphasis (more closely related to adverbs like "very" or "quite").

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom