• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF spricht Deutsch, zumindest hier drinnen...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ein deutschsprachiger GAF-Thread den ich heute entdecke?!

Und das an einem Tag an dem die DFB-Elf gegen die Türkei spielt?
ewfoH.gif

deleted

Metal B said:
Die Ärtze sind allerdings sehr schwer für Ausländer zu verstehen. Es steckt einfach so viel Witz und deutsches Hintergrundwissen in den Titeln drin, dass ohne gute Deutschkenntnise nicht zu verstehen ist. Außer vielleicht das hier http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3C4KEpjbsA oder http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anwwnT6XzAg ... irgendwie *g*

Könnte mir vorstellen, dass es abseits des Verstehens trotzdem Spaß macht, da mal reinzuhören. Geht mir mit französischem und spanischem Rock so: Ich versteh kein Wort, aber wenns gut klingt, hör ich mir das gern mal an.

Nebenbei:

Heinz Erhardt - Zeitloser Komiker

Jockel

Es fühlt sich wirklich komisch an, hier Deutsch zu lesen.
Mittlerweile ist es so weit, dass ich mich in Zockthemen ohnehin viel durch Anglizismen ausdrücke; einfach weil die größten Teile der Community Englischsprachig sind und ich die Spiele eh meistens in Englisch spiele.

Krelian said:
Actually in your example it doesn't work because it's a question. It should be "Geht Fritz gern zu Fuß zur Arbeit oder fährt er mit dem Fahrrad?" :)
("Fritz geht gern zu Fuß zur Arbeit?" is also possible if you're surprised he's not driving or something.)

Bah, I was copying it out of my book and messed up. It's supposed to be "Fritz geht gern zu Fuss zur Arbeit oder er faehrt mit dem Fahrrad." No question, that was my mixup.

ymmv said:
Filme die ich schon gesehen habe: Gegen die Wand, Run Lola Run, Good Bye Lenin, Das Leben der Anderen, Sophie Scholl, Der Baader Meinhof Komplex. Bucher? Die musste ich wahrend mein Studium lesen: Kleist, Brecht, etc. Nur "echte" literarische Werke, nix zum vergnugen.

All episodes of:

800px-Tatort_Logo.svg.png

Especially Köln and Münster.

Atlagev

Eine Frage für Deutsch-GAF: How are the German localizations of video games usually? Do you ever play them? Do you know anyone who plays them? Are there any companies out there who are known to do quality localizations of games? What are some common problems in the German localizations of video games?

desu

Atlagev said:
Eine Frage für Deutsch-GAF: How are the German localizations of video games usually? Do you ever play them? Do you know anyone who plays them? Are there any companies out there who are known to do quality localizations of games? What are some common problems in the German localizations of video games?

From my side, I just hat the sound of German. So for ages, the first thing I do when playing a game/movie whatever is to switch it to English. Combined with cheap imports I haven't been buying lots of German media anyway.

As for others, one thing I often see on German sites posting deals from UK is that tons of people ask if the game has German language support. So I suppose there are more than enough people care.

Can't really talk about localization ^^

Atlagev said:

In Pre-HD times the localizations were rather nasty. We had often to endure mean PAL-borders which made a 4:3 image look like a 16:9. But that is of course only technical.

With the beginning of voice acting in video games dubbing came into play. I remember Metal Gear Solid which had a unbelievable bad German voice acting. Since then it got a lot better. You could assume the higher the budget the better the localization. But of couse there are often games which only the original English audio. It's great that you can almost always choose the language with PS3 games. So English audio for me! :D

Trokil

Banned
Atlagev said:

Some are pretty good. Mass Effect for example. Bioware does pretty good work, Sony as well.

Some are just awful. Oblivion was terrible. Not so much the voice acting, more the written part. The menus, because of the terrible translation, were awful. Fallout 3 on the other hand was very good.

Most of the translations are ok. It's not as terrible as it used to be. Breath of Fire 3 for example had 10 errors alone on the backside of the PSX Box.

I usually play the English version because games in England are about 30-50% cheaper than in Switzerland. Also because I usually watch movies or TV shows in English it’s not that much of a problem.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Atlagev said:
Concerning dubbing at least, it rarely is good.

Most gamers I know play with german dubbing. The language barrier appears to be too great for most people when it comes to the spoken word. I blame the widespread dubbing for movies.

Not sure about specific companies. But what I can tell you is that it's pretty obvious that the pool of voice actors seems to be rather small, and they all over-act. Never saw a game with appropriate voice acting (laid back, no theater voice, realistic pacing, relaxed emphasis — never done). I think this has to do with the fact that most reoccuring voice actors mostly do audio plays. Sucks!

Those are the problems I tend to have with dubbing; when it comes to the process of translation, it's usually appropriate, and as Gummifaust has said, it's become much better in games in the last years. Not perfect at all, certainly not on the level of books, not even on that of movies, but much better than it used to be. It used to almost be like with japanese-to-english localizations done by japanese firms.

sphinx

the piano man
I was really surprised when I played my NTSC, all american copy of Lost Odyssey on my 360 for the first time and listened to very decent german voice acting, It even made me consider leaving the german voices there.

Trokil

Banned
Gummifaust said:
With the beginning of voice acting in video games dubbing came into play. I remember Metal Gear Solid which had a unbelievable bad German voice acting. Since then it got a lot better. You could assume the higher the budget the better the localization.

During that time we were also getting terrible Simpsons translations. They did some really nasty stuff.

For example, Springfield Isotopes rule, they translated one time as, Springfield Isotopen regeln and another time as Springfield Isotopen herrschen.

But we were also getting some of the worst translated Animes in the whole universe, so it wasn't that bad.

If someone can help me with a translation again? I can't find it on google but I might be hearing the words wrong. I think she says "luden Vervolkerung" but I might be wrong. It's a couple seconds in from where I link that says shes "Und Dann war die schrecklich luden Vervolkerung"? Is luden the past of laden?

ymmv

Banned
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
If someone can help me with a translation again? I can't find it on google but I might be hearing the words wrong. I think she says "luden Vervolkerung" but I might be wrong. It's a couple seconds in from where I link that says shes "Und Dann war die schrecklich luden Vervolkerung"? Is luden the past of laden?

Judenverfolgung.

Patrick Bateman said:
Back in the days I wondered why people thought it was a bad dub, now I know.

Childhood memories ruined. Thanks Bla!
:(
omg, i was wondering back then why all the reviews complained about the dubbing. now i know.

faridmon

Tried learning German as its a bit close to Norwegian. Was the hardest thing ever. Maybe I shuold had bigger dedication towards it...

I've never taken any German classes, but my brother has been taking German, and my Dad took German in high school, so I've been been picking up some German just from listening to them. Möchtist du ein meerschweinschen zein? Ya, natuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrlich.

cooljeanius said:
I've never taken any German classes, but my brother has been taking German, and my Dad took German in high school, so I've been been picking up some German just from listening to them. Möchtist du ein meerschweinschen zein? Ya, natuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrlich.

:lol Möchtest du ein meerschweinchen sein?

Still dosen't make that much sense though! :lol

Would appreciate if you could translate "Armseelig, jagge" into English. It was posted on a Facebook that I had uploaded. Thanks. Google Translate isn't working properly on the phrase.

boundedseven said:
Would appreciate if you could translate "Armseelig, jagge" into English. It was posted on a Facebook that I had uploaded. Thanks. Google Translate isn't working properly on the phrase.

Are you sure that's german?

Edit: Ya, I'm pretty sure that's not german. There's a word armselig but not armseelig.

Kola

Gummifaust said:
Clever. Da fehlt aber noch Italien, weil Deutsch (mit Italienisch) die Amtssprache von Südtirol ist. Oder?

Yeah, according to wikipedia it is an official language.

>In South Tyrol, the majority language is German (69% of the population), although in the capital city Bolzano 73% of the population speaks Italian as its maternal language due to internal immigration from other regions of Italy.[21] Italian speakers are also a significant component in other major urban centers of the province, such as in Merano and Brixen. Ladin is the additional official language in some municipalities. According to the census of 2001, 103 out of 116 communes have a majority of German native speakers, 8 of Ladin speakers and 5 of Italian. Today both German and Italian have the status of co-official languages in South Tyrol.<

I once meet a girl from Bozen (Bolzano) who spoke flawless German as one of her native tongues (Italian being second). Her dialect was not nearly as heavy as those you find in Upper/Lower Bavaria for example. I - born and raised in Bremen - understood her perfectly well.

Goldrusher

There we go.
Now it has all the countries where it's an official language.

• German is the country's only official language:
   • Liechtenstein

• German is the majority language, and shares official status with other languages:
   • Germany (besides locally Sorbian, Frisian, Danish, and Romani)
   • Austria (besides locally Slovene, Croatian, and Hungarian)
   • Luxembourg (besides French and Luxembourgish)
   • Switzerland (besides French, Italian and Romansh)

• German is a minority language with official status:
   • Belgium (besides Dutch and French)

• German language has official status only in part of the country/territory:
   • Italy (South Tyrol)
   • Poland. Polish part of Silesia, mainly Upper Silesia. See also: German minority in Poland

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_language_in_Europe

I also took the liberty to add some nifty ripples.

q1s0Z.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom