• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF spricht Deutsch, zumindest hier drinnen...

Status
Not open for further replies.
How much European history do you guys get taught? In Australian schools, Germany never got mentioned outside of the world wars. I had never heard of the Holy Roman Empire until I started playing historical strategy games and got interested enough to look it all up online.

I had advanced history course and what we did about European history was laughable. Mostly French Revolution, then WW1, Weimar Republic and hoooooouuurs of WW2, then a bit of Cold War and German reunion.
Boring as hell. Especially since we did learn nothing about UK-history, US-history (independence, American Civil War for example), 30 Years War, no Spanish Civil War, nothing about the Northern European countries, about the East only when Germany invaded it and got thrown out again, no Africa, no Asia and most of us probably didn't know where Australia even was.

Total bollocks.

I should haven chosen chemistry instead..

I had advanced history course and what we did about European history was laughable. Mostly French Revolution, then WW1, Weimar Republic and hoooooouuurs of WW2, then a bit of Cold War and German reunion.
Boring as hell. Especially since we did learn nothing about UK-history, US-history (independence, American Civil War for example), 30 Years War, no Spanish Civil War, nothing about the Northern European countries, about the East only when Germany invaded it and got thrown out again, no Africa, no Asia and most of us probably didn't know where Australia even was.

Total bollocks.

How advanced do you mean? At the pretertiary level (the two years before university) we had quite specialized history courses. For example, one course for Australian history, one course for "Modern World History" (Major 20th century events with a focus on WW1 and 2) etc. The level of depth in high school generally was quite poor, but I think that's typical for schools around the world.

zeit zum schlafen

You're going to sleep at 6am

!!!

CTLance

hmmmmmmmmm, deutsch Brot. Kaffee mit Milch ist auch gut. Wo sind die Eier
Eier sind leider alle. Der Supermarkt macht erst um 8 auf. Ergo: Heute ist ein Spiegeleier-freies Frühstück angesagt. Weniger Cholesterol oder so, ist sicher irgendwie gesund.

No eggs today, my love has gone away
The carton stands forlon, a symbol of the dawn
No eggs today, it seems a common sight
But people passing by don't know the reason why

Pennywise

Total bollocks.

The only thing you get thaught today about UK-history is part of the industrial revolution as well as the british revolution in terms of the first constitutional monarchy.

raindoc

I could go for some snow. Today was great, but two days ago it was a scorching 34 C, and in early January we had a 41.8 C day. It was unbearable.

huge bushfires too, especially in (on?) Tasmania IIRC?

it snowed again in Graz, but i don't give a fuck. still in bed with the flu.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
How much European history do you guys get taught? In Australian schools, Germany never got mentioned outside of the world wars. I had never heard of the Holy Roman Empire until I started playing historical strategy games and got interested enough to look it all up online.

Here in Austria, we did most of the important stuff I think.

Egypt, Greeks, Romans, Middle Ages, French Revolution, napoleon, industrial revolution in the UK, blah blah

I think the only thing we learned to little of is America (only the important stuff like boston tea party, civil war...) and South East Asia. Because the only thing you heard about China was Boxer Uprising and Nanjing massacre, and japan is only about meiji restauration and second world war.

All in all though, I think the classes were pretty good.

huge bushfires too, especially in (on?) Tasmania IIRC?

Yes, worst bushfires we've had in quite a few years. Especially funny in light of the nearly fire-free year we had before, during which I was part of a student project team working with the Tasmania Fire Service to make a smart-phone app that provides information about ongoing fires around the state (amongst other things). We spent half of 2012 whining that we had no real fires to test the program with. There was one time we started shouting with excitement because there was a HAZMAT incident reported in the city :lol. We delivered a functioning version in October, but it's still not available for download, so it's a bit late to the party...

Sounds pretty good. We "learned" about Romans and Greeks, but there was effectively zero depth. I can't really describe it, but we would learn odd factoids, but had absolutely no appreciation for the scope of the stuff, and learned nothing but a few names here and there. Like, we knew that there was a famous Roman guy called Julius Caesar, but learned nearly nothing about why he was important, what he did, and so on.

That was just primary school, though...

Here in Austria, we did most of the important stuff I think.

Egypt, Greeks, Romans, Middle Ages, French Revolution, napoleon, industrial revolution in the UK, blah blah

I think the only thing we learned to little of is America (only the important stuff like boston tea party, civil war...) and South East Asia. Because the only thing you heard about China was Boxer Uprising and Nanjing massacre, and japan is only about meiji restauration and second world war.

Sounds about right to me at least the stuff I remember from school.

raindoc

was ist den heute mit GAF los? alle paar minuten nicht mehr erreichbar... wieder 'ne DDoS attacke?

There's been a lot of problems going on with servers in the last few weeks. I'm not sure of the exact details but Gromph is working on it, as usual. Tomorrow we've got scheduled maintenance (as opposed to the usual unscheduled kind when it starts crashing) to migrate servers or something like that. With any luck, these problems should go away (ha!).

i read that, hopefully it works and eliminates whatever that's causing this. but i think i saw Evil (or a mod?) posting something about recent DDoS attacks... how do you defend yourself against those? (seriously, i'm mostly clueless when it comes to IT stuff)

There's been a lot of problems going on with servers in the last few weeks. I'm not sure of the exact details but Gromph is working on it, as usual. Tomorrow we've got scheduled maintenance (as opposed to the usual unscheduled kind when it starts crashing) to migrate servers or something like that. With any luck, these problems should go away (ha!).

Lore didn't do himself any favors by boasting about the server hardware.

Fritz

FUCK

-redacted-

Dude spoiler that. It's ugly!

Just grabbed the latest issue of my favorite magazine Monocle. The whole issue is on Germany!

[*clicky*]

The mag is fantastic in general and it's a worldwide release (albeit in assorted shops). I highly recommend it without having actually looked into it. Should be super informative if you're only mildly interested in German politics, economics and lifestyle.

following your advice i changed the OP of the thread i created about this, but quite frankly i do think there is a need to direct link this. actually every meat-eater should be forced to see this.

You can direct link it in the thread about it since people know what to expect when clicking on that thread, but it's not appropriate to direct link it in here. Just to clarify. You can go ahead and put the picture back up in the thread - I already fixed the title typo for you.

raindoc

You can direct link it in the thread about it since people know what to expect when clicking on that thread, but it's not appropriate to direct link it in here. Just to clarify. You can go ahead and put the picture back up in the thread - I already fixed the title typo for you.

cheers

following your advice i changed the OP of the thread i created about this, but quite frankly i do think there is a need to direct link this. actually every meat-eater should be forced to see this.

Why? Showing animal cruelty at a slaughterhouse might turn a few into vegetarians or rethink their lifestyle but this incident is just a stupid (???) law and I don't see the connection between that and eating meat.

You and me really need to fight and settle this once and for all.

Your options :

1) A best of 3, street-fighter battle
2) Sumo-wrestling, best of 3 here as well. Traditional garb.

I'm a merciful god & I like you corky, that's why I spare you the defeat. we should hook you up with someone else instead

raindoc

Why? Showing animal cruelty at a slaughterhouse might turn a few into vegetarians or rethink their lifestyle but this incident is just a stupid (???) law and I don't see the connection between that and eating meat.

because the whole fool industry is fucked up but the general population treats it with an "ignorance is bliss" approach.
maybe you wouldn't care, but some (more) people would if they would be confronted with what happens behind the curtains on a regular basis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom