• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF spricht Deutsch, zumindest hier drinnen...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fritz

The fun thing about Germany is, you can travel for 50 km in any direction and encounter an entirely new German dialect.

Put an Allgäuer, a Berliner and a Ruhrpottler in one room and watch them struggle to communicate.

I mean, we can't even agree on a name for buns. Semmeln? Brötchen? Wecken? Schrippen? Rundstücke?

Maus Maus. Äh, ich meine Mors Mors. Sorry, Allgäuer und so.

Wer zur Hölle sagt Rundstücke?

Spitzweck_Reko_Oveg%C3%B6nne.jpg

Der Spitzwecken von Ovelgönne aus dem 8.–6. Jh. vor Chr. (oben) mit Rekonstruktion

This made me laugh.

From my experience, the most important thing is to always mention that you want water that's not carbonated -> "stilles Wasser".

Btw, am I the only person on GAF who lives in Bavaria?

I'm from Bavaria, at least since the first of february :p

*I know only born in bavaria is bavarian, bla bla :p

Yep, German is the trollface.jpg of languages...

At least Swiss German doesn't use a few of those. Less to remember, but when I have to speak High German, well, my mind is full of fuck :(

high german, has a weird ring to it...

but then again I always say I speak hoch deutsch and high english :p

Lerozz

Yep, German is the trollface.jpg of languages...

At least Swiss German doesn't use a few of those. Less to remember, but when I have to speak High German, well, my mind is full of fuck :(

How would that work ? Can you give an example ? As a German I am totally baffled about how anyone could simply not use some of its articles.

high german, has a weird ring to it...

but then again I always say I speak hoch deutsch and high english :p

Not at all. I think it definitely sounds more sophisticated than any of its dialects. Up to the point where I'm thinking "dude, can't you address me in proper german ?" when someone uses heavy dialect. Not that I mind the latter that much. The diversity is great and adds some colour.

cloudwalking

300chf ain't shit to me
How would that work ? Can you give an example ? As a German I am totally baffled about how anyone could simply not use some of its articles.

Well, it's not really about just not using them. It's just that Swiss German is a "Dativ" language, meaning it doesn't use the Akkusativ (or at least, Akkusativ is not reflected in the same way as it is in Standard German) or Genitiv case, so you don't have to think about changing the articles to suit those cases. Therefore less to remember.

However for me, a person who learned German as a second language and speak Swiss German 99% of the time, I run into problems at times when I have to speak High German because I'm not used to having to change the article form for Akkusativ and Genitiv. I usually get it right, it just... trips me up. :p

Not at all. I think it definitely sounds more sophisticated than any of its dialects. Up to the point where I'm thinking "dude, can't you address me in proper german ?" when someone uses heavy dialect. Not that I mind the latter that much. The diversity is great and adds some colour.

no no, you misunderstand me. I love my Hochdeutsch, I only speak hochdeutsch and I cannot stand people who speak heavily accentuated.
i think the direct translation to high german has a weird ring to it!

Lerozz

no no, you misunderstand me. I love my Hochdeutsch, I only speak hochdeutsch and I cannot stand people who speak heavily accentuated.
i think the direct translation to high german has a weird ring to it!

Ahh, das dachte ich mir schon fast. Kleines Missverständnis. :)

Und danke für die kurze Erklärung, cloudwalking. Ich bin trotzdem noch verwirrt. So you are saying there is no use of an article for the Genitiv/Akkusativ. How would that work ? Like, erm, let's take this expression "das Rad des Wagens" ... is it common then to just sort of skip that article and simply use a whole other term "Wagenrad" or is there a different approach ? Sorry for keeping asking (<- is that even proper grammar XD) but I am pretty intrigued now. :p

cloudwalking

300chf ain't shit to me
Und danke für die kurze Erklärung, cloudwalking. Ich bin trotzdem noch verwirrt. So you are saying there is no use of an article for the Genitiv/Akkusativ. How would that work ? Like, erm, let's take this expression "das Rad des Wagens" ... is it common then to just sort of skip that article and simply use a whole other term "Wagenrad" or is there a different approach ? Sorry for keeping asking (<- is that even proper grammar XD) but I am pretty intrigued now. :p

In Swiss German it would just be "s Rad vom Wage" (das Rad vom Wagen). The Dativ is used to show ownership of something. From what I understand people do this in Standard German sometimes but it sounds a little uncouth or clumsy. I try not to do it when I'm in Germany :p

You can construct it a few different ways of course, for example:

"Am Peter sis Auto"
"S Auto vom Peter"

Etc. This is how it goes when you have no Genitiv case, haha :)

Lerozz

In Swiss German it would just be "s Rad vom Wage" (das Rad vom Wagen). The Dativ is used to show ownership of something. From what I understand people do this in Standard German sometimes but it sounds a little uncouth or clumsy. I try not to do it when I'm in Germany :p

You can construct it a few different ways of course, for example:

"Am Peter sis Auto"
"S Auto vom Peter"

Etc. This is how it goes when you have no Genitiv case, haha :)

Thanks for elaborating. :) And it sounds perfectly fine to be honest. Using that Dativ form over the Genitiv is actually pretty common over here in informal conversations. I agree on the example "am Peter sis Auto" being uncouth though (no offense/offence), seeing that it is mostly used by children or maybe people from the countryside (IF the corresponding german form was "am Peter sein Auto" which it probably is). ;)

lets switch to science, then
who is the greatest scientist of all times.

imho Tesla is a pretty cool dude :D
but as a theoretical electronically engineer I have to say James Clerk Maxwell takes the cake!
Who doesn't love the simple elegance of Maxwells Equations&#8253;

rot E = -j&#969;µH
rot H = +j&#969;&#949;E

div &#949;E = &#961;
div µH = 0

bliss

meh maybe it would.
did you have some tutoring classes already?

No this is the first time I will be working for the university. They like to get Honors students to tutor first and second year subjects, while PhD students tutor advanced topics. It's only 5 hours a week of work, but I'm pretty excited about it. Although I pity the poor students who get allocated to my tutorials, lol.

When people ask this question I always think of physicists for some reason, so I'll go with Newton for producing a very long lasting physical model we still teach today because of its elegance and simplicity (even though we know it's wrong under certain conditions).

seing as we are in the german thread,
I would like to give honorable mention to Leibnitz

Leibnitz' notation crushes Newton's notation any day

d/dx for life!

raindoc

i don't believe he was the greatest, i don't think there is a "the greatest" (pretty sure neither do you btw), but i'm throwing in:

Ignaz Semmelweis (1818-1865), austrian-hungarian physician. he was the first to realize that washing your hands between dissecting bodies and delivering babies saves lives by preventing infections (and noone believed him as long as he lived because hygiene was considered a waste of time).

big things have small beginnings.

i don't believe he was the greatest, i don't think there is a "the greatest" (pretty sure neither do you btw), but i'm throwing in:
you are quite right of course, but I had to get the ball rolling somehow.

another really cool dude is Edward Jenner who laid the foundation for vaccination and in effect cured more people than can be counted :)

sorry I really can't contribute anything other than that, I think mutes needs to tutor me :p

This could be arranged.

Ignaz Semmelweis (1818-1865), austrian-hungarian physician. he was the first to realize that washing your hands between dissecting bodies and delivering babies saves lives by preventing infections (and noone believed him as long as he lived because hygiene was considered a waste of time).

big things have small beginnings.

Good pick. I also propose Alan Turing, whose life story is unfortunately tragic (death by suicide after the government forced him to undergo medical treatment for being homosexual).

3 monate membership ist benötigt glaube ich

Correct, 3 months as well as 300 posts.

0 = 1 + e^(i * pi)

Depending on the field there are so many scientists we could name - I guess most of them deserve the fame so I refrain from posting only one.

demented

I'd wish I could afford lessons! This diabolical language is a nightmare to learn by oneself.
Pretty cheap at my uni, 75e (can be paid 25e a month for 3 months) for beginner's level, bit more for advanced etc!
Move to Germany. Easiest thing.

Brought to you by PB-life coaching
Baty pls, find me a job and I will! But then again in few years when I have phd, 5 languages and shitton of other things it might not be that hard.
I think we have two more people from Austria.

2sf8uuG.jpg

Good luck!

My language isn't too easy either so np

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom