• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAFPOP |OT8| Don't Forget the self-clockiesT of 'em all_

Status
Not open for further replies.

xaosslug

when are we supposed to find out what Bey's singles are? I'm pulling for Pretty Hurts and XO.

Pretty Hurts has got to be one of the best videos Beyonce's ever done. Man. I shall continue to backseat stan ha.

EDIT:

The first two singles (Blow and Drunk In Love) are being sent to radio on Tuesday.

O.

yay @ ha A Public Affair homage... -_-

“I just can’t stand to see you leaving, but heaven couldn’t wait for you"

robin_crying_gif_by_namgis-d5zpvrb.gif

Beyonce opening up about her miscarriage, I just can't take the emotional depths this album reaches.

Majmun

Mine is amazing. It's one of my faves. Bey + Drake combo works really well.

The whole album is just so fresh. This is the best Beyoncé sound imo. Less pop and more experimental neo soul/rnb. Bey outJanelle'd Janelle. I can't stop listening to it.

I love the Bey stanning in here. The album literally can remain on repeat and never get tired. I literally had the album on shuffle before I went to be. Woke up to Flawless... Priceless...

Omzz

someone really needs to tell timbaland and swizz beatz to shut the fuck up. ruining tracks with their forced vocals

Touchdown

Banned
Like Nemesis I wouldn't buy an album just because it popped on Itunes out of the blue but surprisingly it's a really great album. I think it's worth a buy especially if you don't buy that many throughout the year like me. I usually just buy songs for my ipod instead of whole albums. The first shock was it dropping out of nowhere but the second shock for me was just how great of an album it was. She sounds great and it's very R&B which I really enjoy.

Mumei

I've been listening to the album quite a bit, and it reminded me about this article, and I think it resonates even more now than it did before. I particularly like that, after the tryhard criticisms of Bow Down, that she made the feminist subtext explicit by sampling excerpts from a Nigerian writer's speech about the importance of feminism in **Flawless. And the entire album has these sorts of themes:

The themes present on the album BEYONCɗfrom eating disorders to Eurocentric beauty norms to the male gaze, to claiming and owning sexual pleasure without shame, to self-esteem, to feeling insecurity in romantic friendships, to truly loving motherhood, to friendship, to fighting the State, to comfort in theism during grief, to joy in sexuality, fun and friendship in marriage, to finding empowerment in performing her sexuality by choice for her partner, to some very positive allusions to and respect of sex work to several diasporic cultural connections—makes the album is so full. It feels…complete. Like a great novel.

I don't think she's ever been "messageless" before, or that this is entirely new for her, but this is probably the first time that she's been as explicit (and occasionally in cheeky ways, like the use of the French version of The Big Lebowski). And it never comes across as preachy, or like the messages are making the music secondary.

Oh, and it slays vocally. She's only rarely pushing herself, but I just can't imagine anyone else today singing on these tracks and doing them justice.

Oh, and it slays vocally. She's only rarely pushing herself, but I just can't imagine anyone else today singing on these tracks and doing them justice.
I can imagine Janelle Monae on tracks like Blue, Blow, Heaven, Haunted.

The more ratchet stuff, though? That's been Beyonce's territory and Beyonce's territory alone since time immemorial. Though other girls have tried it.

Majmun

I still can't believe what Bey did during the last two days. The new music slays so hard.

The video's are amazing as well. Ghost video>>>>>>>*

I'm still not over it. This all happened too fast. Still digesting it all :rip

Mumei

I can imagine Janelle Monae on tracks like Blue, Blow, Heaven, Haunted.

The more ratchet stuff, though? That's been Beyonce's territory and Beyonce's territory alone since time immemorial. Though other girls have tried it.

Janelle? Well, I could imagine her on the tracks, I suppose. But do them justice? I don't think so. Take Haunted: That vocal really highlights her solid lower register. It's a really thick, solid sound and there are hardly any women who can sound that assured there - and I don't think Janelle is one of them. Or take the ascending quality of Heaven that Koodo mentioned. I don't think Janelle is the sort of vocalist who can do that, either.

Janelle is a solid studio singer, of course, but she would be a downgrade.

Janelle? Well, I could imagine her on the tracks, I suppose. But do them justice? I don't think so. Take Haunted: That vocal really highlights her solid lower register. It's a really thick, solid sound and there are hardly any women who can sound that assured there - and I don't think Janelle is one of them. Or take the ascending quality of Heaven that Koodo mentioned. I don't think Janelle is the sort of vocalist who can do that, either.

Janelle is a solid studio singer, of course, but she would be a downgrade.
Oh, I just meant that Janelle is the only one who wouldn't be a total embarrassment on the tracks.

Beyonce has the special quality (like a Mariah I once knew) of elevating everything she puts vocals to. It's just the big red cherry on top that she happened to have some amazing material to begin with. This is the first album from her that, from start to finish, I appreciate on a level deeper than vocals.

Majmun

Did you see the video's, Mumei? They compliment the songs quite well. And some of the visuals are amazing.

I watched it from start to finish yesterday. It's some great stuff and some of the best vids she's ever done.

How do you guys feel about her vocals on No Angel? I find them insufferable, particularly in the chorus. They sound dry, like she's gasping for air. Her voice is consistently on point so it really stood out to me.

Did you see the video's, Mumei? They compliment the songs quite well. And some of the visuals are amazing.

I watched it from start to finish yesterday. It's some great stuff and some of the best vids she's ever done.
The videos are incredible. Rocket, Blow, XO, all of them really.

They're so fully realized and visually dazzling. When I saw that she had released 17 videos, I assumed they'd all be either low-budget or just really short.

Somewhere Gaga's crying as she edits the Do What U Want (With My Career) video for the thousandth time.

How do you guys feel about her vocals on No Angel? I find them insufferable, particularly in the chorus. They sound dry, like she's gasping for air. Her voice is consistently on point so it really stood out to me.

I love the breathy quality of her vocals in that song. And the flawless production, lordT.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I've been listening to the album quite a bit, and it reminded me about this article, and I think it resonates even more now than it did before. I particularly like that, after the tryhard criticisms of Bow Down, that she made the feminist subtext explicit by sampling excerpts from a Nigerian writer's speech about the importance of feminism in **Flawless. And the entire album has these sorts of themes:

I don't think she's ever been "messageless" before, or that this is entirely new for her, but this is probably the first time that she's been as explicit (and occasionally in cheeky ways, like the use of the French version of The Big Lebowski). And it never comes across as preachy, or like the messages are making the music secondary.

Beyoncé said:
They define what's sexy. And men define what's feminine. It's ridiculous.
Has bey been reading botty's posts or

Majmun

The videos are incredible. Rocket, Blow, XO, all of them really.

They're so fully realized and visually dazzling. When I saw that she had released 17 videos, I assumed they'd all be either low-budget or just really short.

Yeah, I was afraid because I started with the Grown Woman video. Lol

But once Pretty Hurts video started and Ghost followed up my concerns melted away. What a ride.

Majmun

What I find funny is how she's kinda saying fuck you to the people who complained that 4 was't pop or commercial enough.

The music on Beyoncé is even more dark and personal. She really doesn't give a shit.

Yeah, that's exactly what I thought too. I definitely respect her for being a grown woman and doing whatever she want and not hopping on trends.

I wish Gaga would take a play from her book tbh. But she seems to love the fame and being the center of attention tew much.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
What I find funny is how she's kinda saying fuck you to the people who complained that 4 was't pop or commercial enough.

The music on Beyoncé is even more dark and personal. She really doesn't give a shit.

Yasssss

Bladenic

Ugh I bought it. Had to delete a ton of apps for the vids. Shouldn't have DLed on my phone.

But wait Pretty Hurts already slays. Bernard, wait :cry:

Blow and Drunk In Love are the singles? Hmmmm.

Not sure about the second honestly. It's a bit too longwinded but maybe it'll get edited down. I honestly expected Pretty Hurts or XO

XO's already been confirmed for 2014. The single slayage is cominG.

Ugh I bought it. Had to delete a ton of apps for the vids. Shouldn't have DLed on my phone.

But wait Pretty Hurts already slays. Bernard, wait :cry:

Sis, just wait for Haunted to completely eviscerate you.

What kind of ethereal production?

Nevermind. Partition should have been a single.

So much swagger in this song, who wouldn't be singing along?
Personally, I think both of the initial singles will bomb. Drunk In Love meanders something fierce, and Blow (though flawless as an album track) is just a bit too retro for radio. It doesn't even try to update that Prince vibe to the new millennium, and I'm glad it doesn't, but I doubt the general public will be here for it.

Should've been XO for Top 40, Partition for Urban. Then Pretty Hurts/Mine next year.

Touchdown

Banned
Personally, I think both of the initial singles will bomb. Drunk In Love meanders something fierce, and Blow (though flawless as an album track) is just a bit too retro for radio. It doesn't even try to update that Prince vibe to the new millennium, and I'm glad it doesn't, but I doubt the general public will be here for it.

Should've been XO for Top 40, Partition for Urban. Then Pretty Hurts/Mine next year.

Nawt too much. I was scolded yesterday by Mumei over similar thoughts....

Yeah, that's exactly what I thought too. I definitely respect her for being a grown woman and doing whatever she want and not hopping on trends.

I wish Gaga would take a play from her book tbh. But she seems to love the fame and being the center of attention tew much.

pains me to see how awful gaga's team is. so many bad decisions

Inclined to agree. Honestly the album seems to be getting attention just as a unit so I wouldn't have been surprised if she just released a handful of songs to radio and spinners should just play whatever's most popular on iTunes. But I guess that's a bit risky, lol

Ahem...Still perched for your amazeballs incoming review bro.

ioXDvuah7E7B.gif

<3

I'm working on it. It's gonna be a lot of words though. lol

This is so true. I think she really took some time and made the haters seethe as she showed who she really is. Maybe she was tired of being called calculated, a paper and pen artist that has no soul, a robot that doesn't feel what she's talking about, too perfect to not fuck up.. Etc.

She finally decided to wake up and say, I'm Beyoncé and I can do what I want. It's very personal, very dark, dirty, sensual, ratchet.. Everything Beyoncé is. I love it..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom