• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAFPOP |OT8| Don't Forget the self-clockiesT of 'em all_

Status
Not open for further replies.
ARTPOP didn't stop being a fabulously eclectic pop journey now that BEYONCE exists. I swear the way ya'll need to put someone down to lift someone up is so messy. ARTPOP is campy and club fierce; it was and is. Beyonce's album is nowhere near ARTPOP's lane so I don't know why we insist on constantly needing to place Gaga somewhere in the context of others or something new.

"Oh a new album came out. BUT WHAT DOES THAT MEAN FOR GAGAAAAAAA?!?!?1"

Majmun

I love Artpop. It's a fun record. The only problem with Gaga is her whole attitude and pretentiousness before an album release. She always sounds like someone who enjoys the smell of her own fart, head way deep in her own ass.

And she's slowly becoming the Molineaux of the music industry. Overpromising but underdelivering.

I will always be here for Gaga but her act needs a rest.

Mumei

ARTPOP didn't stop being a fabulously eclectic pop journey now that BEYONCE exists. I swear the way ya'll need to put someone down to lift someone up is so messy. ARTPOP is campy and club fierce; it was and is. Beyonce's album is nowhere near ARTPOP's lane so I don't know why we insist on constantly needing to place Gaga somewhere in the context of others or something new.

Oh, I don't think anyone is suggesting that ARTPOP stopped being 'a fabulously eclectic pop journey' but rather that Beyoncé's new album highlights its failures all the more.

imho

Whatever, people only have a problem with what Gaga does or says when someone unrelated releases something that resonates just as well or better and then people turn back to Gaga and decide that she should be different. Why not come for someone like Katy for releasing an album full of singles and not a cohesive unit like Bey? Why not come for Miley for being tastelessly sultry when Bey's method is more classy? There are infinite ways to use Bey's random success/album quality to be a lesson to someone else, but in POPGAF it's usually Gaga.

Gaga don't give two shits about this album's performance I bet, and this narrative that someone else's success is her failure is unfair to her. If ARTPOP's singles smashed then nobody would be talking about her "antics," which will be there regardless of how her music resonates. Stop.

Yado

I'm annoyed with Gaga because she could be doing a lot better. The Artpop area has been sloppy and I blame her inability to focus on doing what needs to be done instead of getting distracted trying to pull off stunts and stupid shit that don't elevate her craft. Who gives a fuck about that flying dress? The Marina Abramovic shenanigans?

I don't even care about the DWUW video at this point. The moment has passed.
irRD1XDoAIiqH.gif

Touchdown

Banned
Whatever, people only have a problem with what Gaga does or says when someone unrelated releases something that resonates just as well or better and then people turn back to Gaga and decide that she should be different. Why not come for someone like Katy for releasing an album full of singles and not a cohesive unit like Bey? Why not come for Miley for being tastelessly sultry when Bey's method is more classy? There are infinite ways to use Bey's random success/album quality to be a lesson to someone else, but in POPGAF it's usually Gaga.

Gaga don't give two shits about this album's performance I bet, and this narrative that someone else's success is her failure is unfair to her. If ARTPOP's singles smashed then nobody would be talking about her "antics," which will be there regardless of how her music resonates. Stop.

I'll never put Miley on Bey's level. NEVER I TELL YOU!

tumblr_mxh5oc9kDT1sovg2ro1_500.jpg

I kind of agree with your overall sentiment though which I think is people need to stop pitting female artists against each other, it’s stupid. Just enjoy the music,

ibnK9JIqstzvWP.gif

Tbh, I haven't really cared for Gaga's brand of theatrics for a while now. It's just being exacerbated right now because it's at the forefront more than ever.

I'm annoyed with Gaga because she could be doing a lot better. The Artpop area has been sloppy and I blame her inability to focus on doing what needs to be done instead of getting distracted trying to pull off stunts and stupid shit that don't elevate her craft. Who gives a fuck about that flying dress? The Marina Abramovic shenanigans?

I don't even care about the DWUW video at this point. The moment has passed.
irRD1XDoAIiqH.gif

Let them know.

iAOXVYqWa0URs.gif

Mumei

Answers!

1. I have no expectations for Katy. I expect her to release an album of singles that don't form a cohesive unit. I do have expectations for Gaga, and they're higher than what she's been putting out recently.
2. I don't particularly care how Miley chooses to be sultry; one of the things that has bothered me about the reception she's gotten is the concern trolling over her use of sex. I'm more bothered by her appropriation and other assorted dehumanizing nonsense. She seems like a terrible person; what's the controversy?

I somehow suspect that your assertion that Gaga doesn't give two shits about this album's performance is reflective of your own attitudes rather than hers.

And what narrative are you talking about? Her failure is her own. I don't buy the notion that success is its own justification. ARTPOP would be an overpromised and underdelivered album whatever its successes.

I don't put Gaga and Bey in the same Lane because they are different sounds. However when I meant not hearing her anymore, I meant that Bey introduced me into a sound that, even though, it has been used for a while in the industry, she made so infectious, sensual, capturing etc....

It's like a whole other dimension. Like a Bey experience.

Gaga has a Gaga experience... But I can't see it right now. I can't hear it. I was there just 3 days ago and now I can't remember what I heard.

cory64

Beyoncé is definitely going to own the first half of the year on Urban, just like Rih did this year.
Her pop prospects are a bit fuzzier.

Wilsongt

So rock right up to
The side of my mountain
Climb until you reach my peak babe, my peak, the peak
And reach right into the bottom of my fountain
I wanna play in your deep end, your deep end, the deep
Then dip me under where you can feel my river flowing flow
Hold me 'til I scream for air to breathe
Don't wash me over until my well runs dry
Send all your sins all over me babe, over me

Rock it 'til waterfalls
Rock it 'til waterfalls
Rock it 'til waterfalls
Bathe in these waterfalls

OLxB6fe.gif

Nemesis_

I agree, the bandwagoning is too much. PopGAF is truly heading for it's Your Body 2.0 moment.

As I've said before, I've yet to listen to the album. But the willingness to shift opinions and, as you say, put down something else is beyond ridiculous. Especially the requested name changes. Really? People are this transient now? It's crazy. I feel like PopGAF is on a vicious cycle with almost every major album that comes out now and it's starting to get boring watching it all play out again and again.

Especially the people who are all "I've forgotten what ARTPOP sounds like". Go to a doctor.

That being said, I do think that the idea of a "visual album" is exactly what Gaga should've done with ARTPOP. I actually thought it was what she was going to do with the app and such - give each song a kind of "visual experience". But she didn't. I don't know what she's doing, actually, especially when it comes to this DWUW mess.

Standing on the Sun is great. Not sure why she didn't do a video for it like Grown Woman.

The Grown Woman video is really shit and I can see why it's considered a "bonus". The H&M commercial is the perfect music video for that song IMO, and it's not ruined by some revolting rap breakdown either. Although like Grown Woman, it's production budget is obviously lower.

For those interested, Beyonce's explanation of each of the songs has been put up on a fansite. They're officially available on iTunes Radio.

Fey

Banned
Answers!

1. I have no expectations for Katy. I expect her to release an album of singles that don't form a cohesive unit. I do have expectations for Gaga, and they're higher than what she's been putting out recently.

Yup.

And not only that, but Katy didn't raise anyone's expectations by overpraising and overhyping Prism. The album ended up being what she said it would be.

Beyoncé is definitely going to own the first half of the year on Urban, just like Rih did this year.
Her pop prospects are a bit fuzzier.

The sudden turnarounds and draggings when the singles inevitably flop. :[

Nemesis_

The sudden turnarounds and draggings when the singles inevitably flop. :[

I feel like ARTPOP's decline in opinion here really did drop once the HDD predictions started surfacing. I honestly thought we were all past this, lol.

My betrayal has sent them over the edge.

ibgwORVeRz2M0q.gif

For the record, my opinion on ARTPOP from a music standpoint has not changed. I still like it. It could sell 10 copies next week and I'd still like it. I'm just tired of the Gaga persona tbh.

royalan

The Gaga stans seem pressed and very touchy all of a sudden

ibgwORVeRz2M0q.gif

I agree.

As Mumei said, people aren't hating on ARTPOP all of a sudden. I think the release of Beyonce just highlighted the faults that were always there.

I still use ARTPOP.
And, honestly, I think that I'll be using ARTPOP more than Beyonce at the end of the day. Both are great albums, but I honestly think ARTPOP is better.

Wilsongt

Can we all agree that Haunted is a bop, tho? I mean really

I can see it as being one of the first songs that is remixed into a dance floor smash.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I think I probably am too harsh on Gaga tbh, but probably because to go from The Fame Monster and Bad Romance to ARTPOP and Applause is a mess no matter how you cut it.

I'm not going to say I don't remember it or something, and there's definitely songs on there I use, but I feel as though Gaga has shown that she should be able to pull off an album as cohesive, well-observed, expertly produced and as all-round consistent as BEYONCÉ, and ARTPOP is the furthest she's ever been from that.

cory64

~600k in a few days, I can't.
Probably would have beaten Justink for this years crown, if it was going to slay the charts this hard it could have at least beaten him with a full week

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom