• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAFPOP |OT8| Don't Forget the self-clockiesT of 'em all_

Status
Not open for further replies.

Servbot24

Banned
top pop 2013

1 m.i.a
2 bey
3 emma louise
4 charli
5 elliphant
6 jt pt1
7 ariana
8 janelle
9 kacey
10 millionaires

pop flops 2013
ranking these would be like giving a little kid an F-
gaga
jamie lidell
katy p
britney
lorde

that existed? 2013

one direction

nah she sucks, only artist from the Aguila branded indie inducing boredom team I cant stand

Finally, someone in this thread agrees.

xtinayouknow2.gif

Majmun

Texted a few friends of mine and now they're interested to go the the Mrs Carter show as well. Bey's performing in Amsterdam next year and it looks like I'm going to see her.

The ambulance won't be ready for my shit

Servbot24

Banned
Says the guy who stans the shallowest album of 2013...... 20/20.

Barely made my top 25 m8.

Besides, 20/20 is certainly not immune to criticism but throwing out "shallow" in the pop thread of all places is pretty shallow all in itself.

If anything 20/20 should have been willing to go shallow, might have gotten a proper banger out of it.

Barely made my top 25 m8.

Besides, 20/20 is certainly not immune to criticism but throwing out "shallow" in the pop thread of all places is pretty shallow all in itself.

If anything 20/20 should have been willing to go shallow, might have gotten a proper banger out of it.

You were the one who brought up depth sis............

Servbot24

Banned
You were the one who brought up depth sis............

In terms of depth,
Taylor exceeds pop standards (not saying all that much)
JT meets pop standards
1D meets kid-pop standards

None of which necessarily matter. Nadia Oh is more shallow than any of them and also better than any of them. The difference here, is that 1D and Taylor both attempt to be emotionally manipulative, and if you attempt that in a shallow way you're going to look like a complete goober. JT on 20/20 isn't really attempting to manipulate you into feeling a certain way, so emotional depth isn't really a big issue (creative depth is, but he's got that for sure).

btw i put no thought whatsoever into that so its probs time for me to take my leave u_u

That Grape Juice said:
Power: Beyonce Album Hits #1 On iTunes…In 100 Countries

‘Beyonce’ is top on iTunes in 100 countries – breaking the previous record of 97 set by One Direction earlier this year. Regions include the UK, France, Australia, and even Nigeria.

The incredible feat is rendered ever more impressive when considering that the singer’s sole promotional vehicle – her blockbuster ‘Mrs Carter Show World Tour’ – hasn’t yet touched many of the regions the album is currently dominating in. A testament, no doubt, to how appreciated her talent is on a global scale.

Who runs the world?

PowderedToast

still quietly absorbin dis record

ic7rF6EYKaxqg.gif

i don't think beyonce is intelligent enough to avoid the countless pitfalls one has to check when making a feminist pop album. it is pretty messy. like you can't go from a feminist speech about patriarchy and women's predetermined roles in society and then come in preaching to girls that they're flawless. the idea of having flaws or being 'perfect' is a patriarchal ideal. you are playing their game by even talking about that stuff.

i think madonna articulated feminist issues more effectively with true blue than beyonce does here - nothing here punches like papa don't preach or live to tell - but the fact that i'm even bringing true blue into the conversation is a good thing for beyonce. i'm being harsh but that's because the album actually sets a standard for itself, it does more than anything her contemporaries have ever bothered to attempt.

it's still a very good effort and does a lot right. i think pretty hurts has the most resounding and effective message (i'm not rly here for 'i'm sexual' songs), though i think it would work better w/o the beauty pageant angle. the issue is much more universal and wide-reaching than jus that subculture.

Nemesis_

I am sure Natalia is right on track for the Guinness World Record for World's Largest Eyebrows.

I've yet to listen to BEYONCE because I am not going to buy an album just because she managed to somehow shit it out onto iTunes instantly.

Her team did a great job writing that press release, however.

ivDyCBoRF2wf3.gif

Though I find it interesting nobody is calling out Beyonce for pretty much jacking the Justify My Love video treatment for Haunted, but the snippet does shit.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Does anyone else have "Pretty Hurts" on repeat ATM? ;_____;

And is anyone else thoroughly slain by "Mine"? I didn't like it at first but it clicked for me. Queen Drake does it again.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Does anyone else have "Pretty Hurts" on repeat ATM? ;_____;

And is anyone else thoroughly slain by "Mine"? I didn't like it at first but it clicked for me. Queen Drake does it again.
I have the whole album on shuffle repeat.

It's an album that keeps on giving.

Generous with her musicé ;___;

DMeisterJ

Banned
I almost wanna stop playing pretty hurts because I don't want to get tired of it. But when she gets to that last chorus. :(

I like Mine a lot too. It feels more like a Drake song the more I listen to it so that's definitely a plus.

It was chiefly written by Drake and his producer 40 and produced by his producer, 40 so it's basically a Drake track, but Bey sounds good on it.

They really need to cut that Timbaland part on Blow for the single.
Yeah, the transition into it is messy (though the transition out of it is much better).

Plus, the lyrical content and vocal delivery are at odds with the rest of the song's sly, sultry licentiousness. Good luck getting that on the major pop stations before 10pm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom