• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAFPOP |OT8| Don't Forget the self-clockiesT of 'em all_

Status
Not open for further replies.

cory64

Beyoncé is basically reinvigorating the album format in the digital age. This move was truly genius. She's reintroducing the concept of buying a full experience instead of just focusing on singles.

Learn us Bey ;______;

It's because Steve Jobs wanted everything to be a la carte, otherwise we'd still be looking at $18 albums just to get one song like in the 90s.

Excuse me while I flood this thread with first-watch impressions of ALL the videos off THE album of this pop era. This is also the first time I'm listening to ALL of the songs.

PRETTY HURTS

STRONG video. STRONG message. Stirred so much emotion in me. Top-notch acting from Beysus too. I love the whole set-up, the disturbing images, the ending. Beysus looking straight into the camera and looking finally happy without all those shit on. Goddamn. And the song is perfect. I'm loving the instruments in the beginning. The a capella bit really highlighted the melody. Right up there with Hair for me as a self-empowerment anthem.

GHOST

Short and sweet. Haunting. Wow. When the "I love Houston" echo carried over to this video from PRETTY HURTS, I knew I was in a for the Beyonce EXPERIENCE. The visuals in this video is mesmerizing. WTF. Dat vision. Only Beysus can. I especially love the black cloth moving around her. On first listen, the song probably isn't the most radio-friendly off the album. I am still not sure what the message is. Will probably get it on second listen. In the meantime, HAUNTED.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Beyoncé is basically reinvigorating the album format in the digital age. This move was truly genius. She's reintroducing the concept of buying a full experience instead of just focusing on singles.

Learn us Bey ;______;

No, because no one else is gonna be able to do this now. This move was amazing though. The concept of buying full albums is mostly dead save for this exception.

She better slay with her 600k first week sales. Gags is probably screaming that Bey did ARTPOP better than her and is gonna clock her out of the sales game.

Aguila

#ICONIC
No, because no one else is gonna be able to do this now. This move was amazing though. The concept of buying full albums is mostly dead save for this exception.

She better slay with her 600k first week sales. Gags is probably screaming that Bey did ARTPOP better than her and is gonna clock her out of the sales game.

Artists like Rihanna or Katy who are known for their singles might not do this, but I definetly see others who focus on album experiences like Justin Timberlake and even Lana following Beyoncé. Beyoncé did something extreme, but there could be variations of the process like cory explained:

I'm predicting the next person to go this route going to have a teaser video 1-2 weeks before the album drops then have the album + first single on the same day w/ a radio deal.No streaming, no a la carte other than the single. Bey did the most extreme version of an alternate promo plan, so I doubt it will be replicated quite like this.

HAUNTED

DAT ASS. Probably my least favorite of the three so far. Good beat. Felt kind of lazy. While the visuals are striking -- got Cabin in the Wood feels, and was that a Lady Gaga cameo? (lol) -- they also got old quick. On first watch and no rewinds, something about it feels cheap. At a Beysus concert, I can TOTALLY see this track being an intermission visual while she changes outfits. Not for me.

Wilsongt

HAUNTED

DAT ASS. Probably my least favorite of the three so far. Good beat. Felt kind of lazy. While the visuals are striking -- got Cabin in the Wood feels, and was that a Lady Gaga cameo? (lol) -- they also got old quick. On first watch and no rewinds, something about it feels cheap. At a Beysus concert, I can TOTALLY see this track being an intermission visual while she changes outfits. Not for me.

Judgingyou.gif

HAUNTED

Please tell me you're here for Jealousus tho

Someone's not here for Haunted?

I just don't even anymore.

JGfaneH.gif

DRUNK IN LOVE

DISGONBEICONIC. While not my favorite song so far, the video is hypnotic. Beysus dancing like she does CANNOT be topped. What a woman. What a human being. I didn't mind Jay-Z. This is probably the simplest video off the album, I'm not sure. But I can see it being a highlight in documentaries about Beysus in 20 years. Only a woman of her ACCOMPLISHMENTS and talent can pull off a video like this and make it classy.

BLOW

GOOD VIBES. Good vibes all around. The disco beat, the skating rink. The colors. That stellar production. This video is LOVE. OMG. I'm not a fan of the sexual lyrics -- yes I know that's the whole point of it -- but listening to this song makes me BOP. The visual is also fun. Yes, FUN is the word to describe it. Totally here for discobeysus. And I'm totally here for the Solange cameo. So far, this is just below Pretty Hurts for me. (The "cherry" bit though...)

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
I won't bandwagon, never do. I enjoy the POP thread but Lord have Mercy, it's just out of control lately.
Beyonce's new album is pretty average, and I was highly disappointed with the usually great Daft Punk this year. Artpop is my fave album of the year as it's the only one that actually lived up to my expectations and the only one that has a lot of songs in continuous rotation in my playlists <3

NO ANGEL

Not a fan of the song, but I'm here for the visual's cultural impacT. One of the tracks I'd probably skip while listening to the album. But I love Beysus' vision for this song. I have nothing else.

YONCE

Sorry but who was that other girl in the video? Some random dancer? I don't know. Also not feeling this song. I like melodies in my songs. The bass sounds so old for me. But it cannot be contested. Dancing Beysus saves any video. On first watch though, nothing about Yonce feels memorable to me.

PARTITION

:O

O_O

Oh my god.

Jaw-dropping.

Iconic.

What did I just watch?

Beysus you naughty girl.

SMH at the iconicNESS of this.

If I were straight, I'd probably fap to this.

But that's beside the point.

Wait. I am having difficulty comprehending what I just watched.

Partition, as a song, oozes sex. As a video, well goddamn.

JEALOUS

Holy shit. That this video went back-to-back with Partition, with a transitioning bit, is just genius. And holy shit. I'm HERE AND STAYIN for emotionally-charged Beysus. Pouting with feels watching this video. And the song, holy shit. This is a Beyonce song. I especially love the "If you're keeping your promise, I'm keeping mine" bits. So catchy. I am stanning HARD for this song. And that's on first listen. Jealous just topped Pretty Hurts as my favorite track off the album so far. Amazing. God-tier. YAS.

ROCKET

Damn. This album. What the fuck. Awed. On the song: the bridge was orgasmic. I haven't checked who wrote it, but this song has Beysus all over it. I was laughing at all the sexual images in that video. Wow. In any other video, it could have been cheesy and cheap as hell. Maybe it was the grayscale, or the song, or just plain Beysus being in it that made it look tight. "Beyonce" is, bar none, her most sexual album. If only just for this song. But no, there's Partition and Blow and god know what's still ahead of me in this journey. Wow.

JEALOUS

Holy shit. That this video went back-to-back with Partition, with a transitioning bit, is just genius. And holy shit. I'm HERE AND STAYIN for emotionally-charged Beysus. Pouting with feels watching this video. And the song, holy shit. This is a Beyonce song. I especially love the "If you're keeping your promise, I'm keeping mine" bits. So catchy. I am stanning HARD for this song. And that's on first listen. Jealous just topped Pretty Hurts as my favorite track off the album so far. Amazing. God-tier. YAS.

AND I HATE THAT WE MAKE GOOD LOVE TO EACH OTHERRRRR

I crie. ;_;

MINE

Well that was confusing. Both the song and the video. I don't get it. The song was all over the place. The video, while it had themed visuals, still felt cluttered and disjointed. Who directed this? One of my least favorites.

Wilsongt

MINE

Well that was confusing. Both the song and the video. I don't get it. The song was all over the place. The video, while it had themed visuals, still felt cluttered and disjointed. Who directed this? One of my least favorites.

It had Drake. Of course it was going to be horrid.

XO

That made me smile. Touching. Heartwarming. So far, XO > Jealous > Pretty Hurts as my top 3 songs. The video was especially nice, felt authentic and just hit all the right feels. I didn't get to listen to the lyrics intently on first run, but from the bits I remember, the song's simply about love and loving before the lights go out. And I'm here for that. Love this.

FLAWLESS

Lol Skeleton Crew beat Bey. This track reminded me strongly of Run the World, except less dancey. I was wondering when the women-empowerment song would turn up, and this turned out to be it. On the video: boring, honestly. On the song: not my bop, not radio-friendly, won't sing to it, will probably skip.

SUPERPOWER

That was a pleasant surprise. I loved it. They went with the most predictable visual for a song like that, but it was executed wonderfully, I think. Loved the DC cameo. Frank Ocean, I didn't mind. Beysus looked exceptionally beautiful here. But wtf at how white she looks. As a song, I can't imagine when I'd be in the mood to really listen to it. While it doesn't sound bad, it doesn't hook you either.

HEAVEN

This was unexpected. Very nice video, I think. As a song: boring. I was hoping it would soar like Halo, but kind of felt flat. I know it's a grieving song, but without the visuals, it didn't feel like it conveyed the right emotions.

BLUE

The Instagram filter was strong with this one, and I loved it. Same feels as XO. Very heartwarming. The setting (somewhere in Brazil?) was breathtaking. As a song, not my favorite, but it's the perfect chill tune when you need to relax, I think. Perfectly matched the visuals.

So in summary:

BEYSUS-TIER
Jealous
Blow
Pretty Hurts

DIVINE
XO
Blue
Rocket
Ghost
Partition
Drunk In Love

OK
Flawless
Superpower
Heaven

WHUT
Mine
Haunted
No Angel
Yonce

Styles

To put things into perspective RED sold 500k in 24 hours, 262k of those were from iTunes. RED's first week sales had roughly a 1:3 digital to physical split.

ibzjBG7o1sqnjz.gif

Majmun

So in summary:

BEYSUS-TIER
Jealous
Blow
Pretty Hurts

DIVINE
XO
Blue
Rocket
Ghost
Partition
Drunk In Love

OK
Flawless
Superpower
Heaven

WHUT
Mine
Haunted
No Angel
Yonce

You should give the songs more time until they sinked in.

Haunted is strange at first but the song is magnificent. Same goes for basically all of the tracks. Some of the songs are just a bit experimental.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom