• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAFPOP |OT8| Don't Forget the self-clockiesT of 'em all_

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alcohol makes everything messier.

14V4N2L.gif

royalan

Before I start, I would like to compliment you on finding an opportunity to be shady towards one of my faves.

*hat tip*

And I mean "pinched" as contrasted with "open" or "resonant." It's honestly hard to find falsetto that doesn't have at least a slightly pinched quality to it (even Leona's Eb6s, which are a far sight better, still have a bit of that quality), but it's quite noticeable with Christina. She sounds okay when she first starts, then starts sounding off when she does that brief bit of melisma, and then sounds quite pinched on that Eb6. I don't know how you can hear that, and then Nicole and not hear the difference in quality. Or Tarja. I also disagree that she shows much agility. As I said, she sustains falsetto, does a brief melisma, and then sustains the Eb6 (sort of scooping up to it, now that I listen again). I don't think that's something to write home about.

As for the pinched thing, maybe this will help: Listen to Leona Lewis here, and here. Incidentally, holy shit is that second performance a hot mess. But do you hear her becoming pinched as she goes up? That's what I'm hearing with Christina, but in her falsetto instead of her modal voice.

And in that clip you provided, Mariah is even more pinched than that are, and she just straight-up (you are now singing Straight Up to yourself, aren't you?) cracks. I don't really think it helps your argument that she could have been worse!

But you always go in hard on Christina's falsetto, even during her more impressive moments.

I think that light, steely quality that she has in falsetto is just a characteristic of her voice. But she sings in falsetto too confidently and consistently for me to say there's a serious problem with her technique. Honestly, her falsetto is the one aspect of her voice that's held up the best over the years.

And yes, that Leona performance was a mess....but what's new in that department these days?

Mumei

But you always go in hard on Christina's falsetto, even during her more impressive moments.

I think that light, steely quality that she has in falsetto is just a characteristic of her voice. But she sings in falsetto too confidently and consistently for me to say there's a serious problem with her technique. Honestly, her falsetto is the one aspect of her voice that's held up the best over the years.

And yes, that Leona performance was a mess....but what's new in that department these days?

... Roy, that's actually worse. And she doesn't have a steely quality. This is steely. Patti has a steely quality even in her belts. Christina's falsetto is much more in Mariah's wheelhouse in terms of its fundamental qualities, and neither one of them has a steely quality. What you're describing as steely is simply the effect of her becoming pinched as she gets higher combined with the fact that higher notes naturally tend to lose the warmth of lower notes. This is akin to thinking that Christina's straining is actually "rasp", I think.

And for what it's worth, falsetto often seems to hold up better than other parts of the voice, at least thinking of female pop vocalists. Just look at Whitney or Mariah's falsetto or head voices and how much longer they lasted in range and quality compared to their modal voices.

I kind of want a new christina album tbh

Who doesn't is the question? The story was the Bey was having the hive starving and well.. It payed off because more than the hive participated. Now how long is Xtina going to have the fighters staving without a feature? I think it's time for a new Xtina album. Bless ha if she stays away from dance pop music and make some damn good quality this time.

royalan

... Roy, that's actually worse. And she doesn't have a steely quality. This is steely. Patti has a steely quality even in her belts. Christina's falsetto is much more in Mariah's wheelhouse in terms of its fundamental qualities, and neither one of them has a steely quality. What you're describing as steely is simply the effect of her becoming pinched as she gets higher combined with the fact that higher notes naturally tend to lose the warmth of lower notes. This is akin to thinking that Christina's straining is actually "rasp", I think.

And for what it's worth, falsetto often seems to hold up better than other parts of the voice, at least thinking of female pop vocalists. Just look at Whitney or Mariah's falsetto or head voices and how much longer they lasted in range and quality compared to their modal voices.

Her falsetto is airier there. I used that as an example to highlight her agility in falsetto. That was a pretty complex run.

ACTUALLY, during the "Xtina is one of the best singers of out time" segment of tonight's episode of the voice, there was a GREAT example of her hitting an impressive falsetto run during one of the episodes. It was actually even better than the Aretha tribute.

I'll post it when someone rips it on Youtube.

royalan

I kind of want a new christina album tbh

Lotus wasn't that bad honestly. I still use that zen intro and Blank Page. Around the World was cute too.

Who doesn't is the question? The story was the Bey was having the hive starving and well.. It payed off because more than the hive participated. Now how long is Xtina going to have the fighters staving without a feature? I think it's time for a new Xtina album. Bless ha if she stays away from dance pop music and make some damn good quality this time.

Me too, but I want it to be an R&B album.

YASSSSSS!!!

ibmLSYnvzJP78u.gif

Join the tribe!!

#Xtina2014PleaseSaveThePopMusic

Satch

Banned
Think twice, little one.

PopGAF is indeed the most iconic and feared sub-community in all of GAF. But being a Popgaffer is a most heavy cross to bear.

lol yeah i was just about to say

be prepared to be part of one of gaf's most despised communities for no good reason

Welcome. Your avatar is flawless ;____;

Thanks!

image.php

Stan for the queen.

Have Gaga and Xtina performed yet? I just got home this very second.

I stan for a lot of Queens :D. They should be performing soon!

lol yeah i was just about to say

be prepared to be part of one of gaf's most despised communities for no good reason

I think I can handle it. It sucks that this community is despised though :|.

If only we cared about "real music" with white guys playing guitar and shit.
i93xo4Q.png

Incidentally, I heard a preview for Jake Bugg's new album on Spotify. God it was horrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom