• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAFPOP |OT8| Don't Forget the self-clockiesT of 'em all_

Status
Not open for further replies.

royalan

Sis she was by far the worst one of the five ;___;

Wrong.

First off, all 5 ladies were great. If anyone was bad it was because they were boring, and Florence and Martina are fighting it out for that title. Xtina took on one of Aretha's most difficult songs and had one of the most memorable vocal parts of the entire performance, and she absolutely nailed that falsetto moment.

You're no stan.

Wrong.

First off, all 5 ladies were great. If anyone was bad it was because they were boring, and Florence and Martina are fighting it out for that title. Xtina took on one of Aretha's most difficult songs and had one of the most memorable vocal parts of the entire performance, and she absolutely nailed that falsetto moment.

You're no stan.

She started that falsetto note beautifully, but then crashed into the ground when she transitioned back to her chest voice. You can hear her voice crack when she goes back down, lol.

And please, Xtina and I have been through too many highs and lows for me to give her false credit at this point. I've been a stan since Genie, and ever since. I know her at her highs and I know her potential, and sis, miss thing ain't cutting it right now.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Alaska Thunderfuck - Ru Girl

Gaga step it up
KuGsj.gif

royalan

She started that falsetto note beautifully, but then crashed into the ground when she transitioned back to her chest vice. You can hear her voice crack when she goes back down, lol.

And please, Xtina and I have been through too many highs and lows for me to give her false credit at this point. I've been a stan since Genie, and ever since. I know her at her highs and I know her potential, and miss thing ain't cutting it right now.

She started the note beautiful, ascended beautifully, and ran it down. I don't know how you can say her voice cracked on the descent when there was no descent. There's a full pause between her falsetto and when she goes back into chest voice...unless you didn't think that was intentional (which it was).

Did you watch the video?

She started the note beautiful, ascended beautifully, and ran it down. I don't know how you can say her voice cracked on the descent when there was no descent. There's a full pause between her falsetto and when she goes back into chest voice...unless you didn't think that was intentional (which it was).

Did you watch the video?

Hmm I didn't watch the one you linked but I've seen that performance so many times. I don't know if what I'm referring to is what you're talking about, but I distinctly remember her climbing into her falsetto for a few seconds, then climbing down and transitioning modes, and in doing so her voice did an obvious crack that was drowned out by the instrumental, but you can you definitely hear it if you listen closely.

My takeaway from watching that performance every time is "if she would spend more time rehearsing her vocal chords then she wouldn't have constant strain and cracking."

royalan

Hmm I didn't watch the one you linked but I've seen that performance so many times. I don't know if what I'm referring to is what you're talking about, but I distinctly remember her climbing into her falsetto for a few seconds, then climbing down and transitioning modes, and in doing so her voice did an obvious crack that was drowned out by the instrumental, but you can you definitely hear it if you listen closely.

My takeaway from watching that performance every time is "if she would spend more time rehearsing her vocal chords then she wouldn't have constant strain and cracking."

The part you're thinking of is when she goes for the E5 while singing "There ain't WAAAAAAAAY"

She starts at E5, briefly falls back to D5, but gets back up to E5 before the note is done. That part was a bit cracky, but honestly by that point in the performance she'd already done enough to be one of the more memorable girls from that Aretha tribute. Xtina singing 'Ain't No Way' was a moment, and she was the only girl up there after Yolanda to really nail the emotion of the song. Aretha even praised her. She tore it UP.

Relive it, sis.

Mumei

Sis, if Xtina could stand on a stage with Yolanda Adams, Jennifer Hudson, Martina McBride and Florence Welch and not only hold her own, but have one of the signature vocal moments of the performance, trust...Gaga ain't ready.

... That was awful. Honestly, what do you hear in it? It's not even good falsetto; let alone good head voice. It's thin and pinched, and getting up there was a struggle.

It was pretty. I'll give you that. But it wasn't very impressive.

Ummm...have you heard any of Gaga's recent performances??? Complete vocal messes in every way.

I'll disregard the comments about Christina's agility not deserving credit (after her flawless and perfectly controlled AMA performance) and just say this: if Gaga is not on point tonight, if she is messy like most of her performances this era have been, Xtina WILL drag her ass up and down that stage. And that's guaranteed.

Never count out Xtina's ability to rise to a moment.

There was nothing flawless about that AMA performance.

And no, I honestly haven't. If she's completely fallen off the wagon I could be wrong. I would be just shocked if I were wrong because Christina rose to the occasion, though!

Oh Martina McBride. I remember her. Mumei how does she stack on your scale? Or other current country singers like Leann Rimes?

I don't listen to either enough to have an opinion. I was surprised (positively) by Martina's solo part in that performance Roy linked above, but that's about it.

SaintZ

So umm, this better not be true...
Great Gatsby! Oscar Saboteur Targets Lana Del Rey Song ‘Young And Beautiful’: Video

EXCLUSIVE: Oscar trickery has routinely been an unfortunate part of the Academy Awards. Usually it’s reserved for the Best Picture candidates, but this year someone got an early start in the Best Original Song category. I’m told by a reliable source that an anonymous envelope was mailed to members of the Academy music selection committee, complete with a printout from an online article that made the bogus assertion the Grammy-nominated Lana Del Rey song “Young And Beautiful” was disqualified for Best Song over a technicality involving The Great Gatsby‘s changed release date. The word Variety appeared on the printout that was sent, but when Warner Bros got wind of it and checked thoroughly, the piece sent was never published by Variety, and it does not appear to have been published anyplace legitimate. Insiders said attempts to figure out the sender were unavailing, so the studio and Interscope focused on setting the record straight with the Oscar committee member who reported receiving the missive and others who might have. Warner Bros, which has several songs from the Baz Luhrmann-directed film on the just-release long list of 75 eligible tunes, is now recutting a music featurette to emphasize the collaboration between Luhrmann and Del Rey on the song, which plays in the scene where Gatsby (Leonardo DiCaprio) regales Daisy (Carey Mulligan) with the grandeur of his mansion. And yes, the song is Oscar-eligible. Studio insiders confirmed this happen, but would not elaborate.
Ugh if she doesn't get a nom because of this I'll be liviD. Who would do this to Lana? Did Arte send the anonymous letter?

ibaavat3gvxr7qypxay.gif

Mumei

Marius, aside from Gaga loving reverb more than Beyoncé at her most self-indulgent... it is more solid than anything I've heard from Christina that I can recall.

I am having a moment with that head voice starting twenty seconds in. Who is that? I'm assuming Yolanda, judging from the video I saw and the fact that the other four clearly weren't doing it (though Yolanda wasn't shown on camera).

royalan

... That was awful. Honestly, what do you hear in it? It's not even good falsetto; let alone good head voice. It's thin and pinched, and getting up there was a struggle.

It was pretty. I'll give you that. But it wasn't very impressive.

Oh now you're just being picky. I like Christina's falsetto because it's always clear, and she's consistently been incredibly agile within it. And, honestly, I'm not even sure what you mean by it sounding "pinched." I think that, if it were pinched, she would have had a much more difficult time staying on pitch and remaining as agile as she was in that moment without her voice breaking. That's what I think of when I think pinched vocals.

Here's an example of someone with a severely pinched-sounding head voice.

I think that you're weighing Christina against singers with fuller tones and using that to claim that she comes up short.

She hit the note, held the note, ascended, and then held the higher note. And her tone remained even throughout and, by your own admission, pretty. I think this disqualifies it from being described as struggling. Struggling to me is when she went for that E5 and her voice cracked. You not liking her tone while in falsetto does not make it struggling.

There was nothing flawless about that AMA performance.

Everything was flawless about that AMA performance. Particularly how she started out her solo section of the song, and the agility she shows in her lower notes. But you don't like her low notes, so I'm not surprised here. *.*

I am having a moment with that head voice starting twenty seconds in. Who is that? I'm assuming Yolanda, judging from the video I saw and the fact that the other four clearly weren't doing it (though Yolanda wasn't shown on camera).

At first I thought it was Yolanda, too. But I actually think it might have been a backup singer, judging by the effect that was on the mic to get that ghost-like echo.

And yeah, whoever was hitting that note was definitely slaying.

Mumei

Oh now you're just being picky. I like Christina's falsetto because it's always clear, and she's consistently been incredibly agile within it. And, honestly, I'm not even sure what you mean by it sounding "pinched." I think that, if it were pinched, she would have had a much more difficult time staying on pitch and remaining as agile as she was in that moment without her voice breaking. That's what I think of when I think pinched vocals.

Here's an example of someone with a severely pinched-sounding head voice.

I think that you're weighing Christina against singers with fuller tones and using that to claim that she comes up short.

She hit the note, held the note, ascended, and then held the higher note. And her tone remained even throughout and, by your own admission, pretty. I think this disqualifies it from being described as struggling. Struggling to me is when she went for that E5 and her voice cracked. You not liking her tone while in falsetto does not make it struggling.

Before I start, I would like to compliment you on finding an opportunity to be shady towards one of my faves.

*hat tip*

And I mean "pinched" as contrasted with "open" or "resonant." It's honestly hard to find falsetto that doesn't have at least a slightly pinched quality to it (even Leona's Eb6s, which are a far sight better, still have a bit of that quality), but it's quite noticeable with Christina. She sounds okay when she first starts, then starts sounding off when she does that brief bit of melisma, and then sounds quite pinched on that Eb6. I don't know how you can hear that, and then Nicole and not hear the difference in quality. Or Tarja. I also disagree that she shows much agility. As I said, she sustains falsetto, does a brief melisma, and then sustains the Eb6 (sort of scooping up to it, now that I listen again). I don't think that's something to write home about.

As for the pinched thing, maybe this will help: Listen to Leona Lewis here, and here. Incidentally, holy shit is that second performance a hot mess. But do you hear her becoming pinched as she goes up? That's what I'm hearing with Christina, but in her falsetto instead of her modal voice.

And in that clip you provided, Mariah is even more pinched than that are, and she just straight-up (you are now singing Straight Up to yourself, aren't you?) cracks. I don't really think it helps your argument that she could have been worse!

Everything was flawless about that AMA performance. Particularly how she started out her solo section of the song, and the agility she shows in her lower notes. But you don't like her low notes, so I'm not surprised here. *.*

What low notes? *.*

At first I thought it was Yolanda, too. But I actually think it might have been a backup singer, judging by the effect that was on the mic to get that ghost-like echo.

And yeah, whoever was hitting that note was definitely slaying.

I think we should just assume it is Yolanda. It would be fitting that the Queen of Upstaging Christina would do it twice in one performance!

Vazra

I find it quite ironic a Taylor stan dragging Xtina. Xtina sounds perfect compared to Live Taylor.

Vazra

Pupi I like you so I'm not even going to bring up the fact that your fave couldn't sell out a walmart parking lot a la Keri Hilson

Oh, wait.

We are talking about performances not about sales. Could you try a better example of maybe dragging performances? No? Take a seat.

You need to partake in alcohol consumption more often, sis.

You're starting to get a bit messy.

Pupi came up as pupils when I typed it but I'm sober enough to have corrected it :eyes:

We are talking about performances not about sales. Could you try a better example of maybe dragging performances? No? Take a seat.

Tay has Katy Perry syndrome where she sounds terrible when doing anything more than sitting there with her guitar. Her acoustic performances are ten times better and should be applauded.

I still like trouble tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom