• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAFPOP |OT8| Don't Forget the self-clockiesT of 'em all_

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Bless Kirsten Dunst Eliza Dushku Gabrielle Union for enabling Rihanna and Solange to have acting careers.

Eliza-Dushku-Tongue-Gif-01.gif

Christina Stans Natalia Kills.

Honestly I feel like Christina's done so many looks that almost anything a contemporary popstar wears can be traced back to one of The Legend's iconic photoshoots.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
i was going to douse the thread in metacritic tea but natalia kills doesn't have a metacritic page kfldsfk;def

Vazra

i was going to douse the thread in metacritic tea but natalia kills doesn't have a metacritic page kfldsfk;def

You can use wikipedia
Ms.Kills
Contemporary music critics received Trouble positively: praise was aimed for the personal approach to the lyrics, the production and the overall set as an evolution from Perfectionist, while some criticism went to some album tracks for unsuccessfully trying to "broaden" and soften the singer's sound. Allmusic contributor Matt Collar awarded the set a three and a half stars out of five rating and noted that Kills has "enough of her own personality to keep your attention".[31] He summarized his review by stating: "[Trouble is] a dance-pop pantomime that artists have been trying to pull off ever since Madonna sang about a sexual experience so revelatory it gave her back her virginity".[31]
Writing for Idolator, Sam Lansky classified the set as "a great pop record, straight up". He highlighted the evolution of Kills as a songwriter: "[...] it’s such a sheer delight to hear Kills firmly in her own lane on her sophomore LP, which feels like a better representation of her perspective than even the best moments of Perfectionist. It’s not affected, low on posturing, and there are moments of vulnerability that gleam like the very best lyrical storytelling.". He concluded the review by awarding the album four out of five stars.[18] Bradley Stern from MuuMuse had a similar reaction to Trouble: "[It is] a tightly crafted, well-polished pop production with the sharpest of edges. It's also multipurpose—an autobiography, a rowdy pre-party playlist and a therapy session all in one. The songs are cohesive and intelligently soul-bearing in a way that feels neither exploitative nor cliched. Natalia makes no apologies and flaunts every scar on her sophomore effort—something that her fans, critics and new listeners alike will all undoubtedly appreciate."[15] Sam Johnson from So So Gay awarded Trouble four out of five stars and commended it for "ditching" the "glossy production in favour of moans, snarls and distortion", but criticized album tracks "Watching You" and "Marlboro Lights" for unsuccessfully trying to "broadening her sound".[14]

vs

Ms Gags
Artpop received generally mixed to positive reviews upon its release from contemporary music critics.[86] At Metacritic, which assigns a normalized rating out of 100 to reviews from mainstream critics, the album received an average score of 61, based on 27 reviews, which indicates "generally favorable reviews."[86] Jim Farber from New York Daily News believed many of the album's tracks made Gaga sound distant; he awarded 3/5 stars, calling the album "catch[y]."[95] Adam Markovitz from Entertainment Weekly gave the album a B, stating that many of the album's songs were "enjoyable but well-worn." Markovitz praised the album for being "well-executed" and praised its "strong melodic lines" but noted that Artpop generally failed to make an impression.[17] Jerry Shriver from USA Today gave the album 2.5/4 stars, stating it was "undeniably relentless" but not "consistently entertaining". Shriver stated that the album was scarce of "sing-along choruses" and found its "rhythmic pounding" to be "exhausting"; concluding that the album was ready for the "dance floor" but was mostly intended for Gaga's fans and not general listeners.[29]
Sal Cinquemani from Slant Magazine gave the album 3.5/5 stars, commenting "when Gaga revisits more conventional pop sounds and structures, the results are often sublime—and surprisingly revealing."[14] Jason Lipshutz from Billboard gave the album a rating of 84/100, praising Gaga's effort to make "absolutely certain that every inch of her craft evolves and innovates".[15]
Robert Copsey from Digital Spy commented that "thematically, stylistically and lyrically it's all over the shop", and that several songs sounded like "half-finished plagues"; although felt the album contained more "hits" than "misses".[96] Ed Potton from The Times noted that the knives were out for Gaga following the "Madonna rip-offs" and "less on decent tunes" of her previous album Born This Way. However, Potton praised the artist, commenting "washed up? Far from it", and awarding Artpop 4/5 stars.[97]
Helen Brown from The Daily Telegraph criticized Gaga's choice to do another album "themed around her own stardom" (after The Fame and The Fame Monster), and commented that although Gaga tries different genres of music, "she doesn't do anything wildly original with them, but she has fun". Brown however praised the album as "great for dancing".[19] Alexis Petridis from The Guardian suggested there was "some decent pop" on the album but thought the art was "rather harder to discern"; he awarded it 3 out of 5 stars.[89] Andy Gill from The Independent gave the album 3/5 stars and commented "It's hard not to feel underwhelmed by ARTPOP", though praised the tracks "Swine" and "Artpop".[90] Caryn Ganz from Rolling Stone gave the album 3/5 stars, calling it "a bizarre album of squelchy disco" and "sexual but not sexy".[93]

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
I have let down my guard and I'm ready to let a Rihanna only version of Monster into my life.

Partition

Banned
Are people here really trying to make Caterpillar Kills happen? Her music is regarded as trash as it should be everywhere but here

Vazra

Are people here really trying to make Caterpillar Kills happen? Her music is regarded as trash as it should be everywhere but here

More artistry than Gaga latest efforts and better song writing and story telling easily. Fume a bit.

Don't enable Pupi, he has one fave and she's barely even someone so praising her will make him stronger than we can possibly imagine.

image.php

cory64

The Monster *should* be #1 this week, but barely.
Wrecking Ball won't be a threat, barely has 1m views after 3 days and Billboard is inconsistent with live videos.

More artistry than Gaga latest efforts and better song writing and story telling easily. Fume a bit.

Gaga doesn't tell stories, she makes statements. And let's not with the "more artistry" thing. Sometimes people's ideas of why something is more "artistic" than something else is based on empty conjecture or nonsense criteria. But I don't doubt that Natalia's legit or a talented artist.

DMeisterJ

Banned
A mess at Royals staying #1 this week by 0.4% lead.

Next week Rih, Next week.

The race for No. 1 on the Hot 100 was the closest since Feb. 18, 2012, when Kelly Clarkson's "Stronger (What Doesn't Kill You)" displaced Adele's "Set Fire to the Rain" (after two weeks at No. 1) by a slightly smaller margin. After an 18% difference in overall Hot 100 chart points separated "Royals" and "Monster" two weeks ago, the margin was halved to 9% last week. This week, with "Royals" down by 9% and "Monster" down by 1%, a mere 0.4% difference keeps the former atop the Hot 100, possibly setting the stage for the latter to rise to No. 1 as soon as next week.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Royals is still #1? This leaves me conflicted.
May Kesha or One Republic cock block them both.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
i am not at all ashamed to call rih the queen of pop

i won't say i stan her but i do like her a lot now

cory64

Meanwhile, "Unconditionally," the second single from her album "PRISM," remains bulleted at No. 16 in its fifth week. It rises 13-11 on Radio Songs (60 million, up 9%), holds at No. 19 on Digital Songs (58,000, up 10%) and enters Streaming Songs at No. 35 (1.7 million, up 28%).

ddddd couldn't even get a top 10 debut in Streaming with a music video

edit: yaaaas bow down to the queen
edit2: noT a viral wrecking ball video. I'm fucking done.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Britney Jean is sitting at a 73 Metascore. If it beats ARTPOP, PRISM and Bangerz (all sitting ugly at 62) I will never stop SCREAMING

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom