• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAFPOP |OT8| Don't Forget the self-clockiesT of 'em all_

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mumei

Merry Christmas, Touchdown.

Same to you :)

ieR4aKlxltcxB.gif

I remember when this started each page. Her brief stint of PopGAF relevance.

royalan

I'm surprised we haven't had 397394387389479209093287 demos (that all sound better than your fave's mastered shit, lbr) from the Ultraviolence sessions leak yet.

Bless Lana, finally getting her team IN LINE.

z2eWfR9.gif

Bladenic

There you'll stand, ten feet tall
I will say, "I knew it all along."
Your eyes–wider than distance
This life–sweeter than fiction

:dancingqueen:

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
ARTPOP and BEYONCE are the musical yin and yang of my life right now.

Every mood I'm in can fit into some song from these albums. Such a happy stan this Christmas. :)

I don't care what anyone says, ARTPOP is my fave album of 2013 <333333

MIMIC

Banned
CNN

Just unstoppable

No one in the music industry could have pulled this off except Beyonce. Her global fans follow her 24/7 online, on the air and on social media. And, like Michael Jackson, her stardom keeps fans anticipating her next song, her next dance move, her next fashion statement and her next signature on the dotted line.

This poses an interesting question: COULD a current artist (man or woman) have pulled this off? And in such a dramatic fashion?

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
This poses an interesting question: COULD a current artist (man or woman) have pulled this off? And in such a dramatic fashion?
I wonder how much Gaga's sales/reception would be without her endless over-hyping. Imagine Born This Way being dropped suddenly without the constant "BEST ALBUM EVER IS COMING!!1!!!~!" from her left and right.

royalan

I think Gaga could have, honestly.

I mean, in the end, there's really nothing THAT special about Beyonce. Just look at her last album - she promoted it nonstop and in barely went 3x platinum. I don't credit Beyonce with doing something that nobody else could have; I credit Beyonce for being the first with the balls to do it.

Gaga had the perfect setup to pull something like this off. There was so much initial hype surrounding ARTPOP and what it could be (and what it could mean), and there was a lot of frustration after a while because she delayed it multiple times. I can't even begin to imagine how crazy it would have been if ARTPOP had dropped out of the blue. I honestly think it would have made a BIGGER splash than Beyonce (largely because Gaga herself is a much bigger artist...well, was. She's dead now.).

I mean, in the end, there's really nothing THAT special about Beyonce. Just look at her last album - she promoted it nonstop and in barely went 3x platinum. I don't credit Beyonce with doing something that nobody else could have; I credit Beyonce for being the first with the balls to do it.

Gaga had the perfect setup to pull something like this off. There was so much initial hype surrounding ARTPOP and what it could be (and what it could mean), and there was a lot of frustration after a while because she delayed it multiple times. I can't even begin to imagine how crazy it would have been if ARTPOP had dropped out of the blue. I honestly think it would have made a BIGGER splash than Beyonce (largely because Gaga herself is a much bigger artist...well, was. She's dead now.).

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

I mean, in the end, there's really nothing THAT special about Beyonce.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Wow.

royalan

Wow.

Well, there isn't. Until recently there were several artists in the game who:

--Sold better.

--Toured just as well (or better).

--Had as large a public profile (or larger).

--Had a comparable stanbase (or larger).

I mean, just ask yourself: what uniquely about Beyonce Knowles made this possible?

Of course, it takes a certain caliber of celebrity to pull something like this off, and Beyonce certainly fit the bill. But she's not the only one.

--Sold better.

I mean, just ask yourself: what uniquely about Beyonce Knowles made this possible?

Of course, it takes a certain caliber of celebrity to pull something like this off, and Beyonce certainly fit the bill. But she's not the only one.

but none of them bitches have the whole package

try again

royalan

but none of them bitches have the whole package

try again

Gaga had ALL of those things:

--Formidable touring ability

--Superior selling power

--Army of crazy stans to get the word out

--Larger public persona

So have a seat.

Some would argue that Taylor Swift could have done it, too.

Gaga's persona isn't the same as Beyonce's. Beyonce is seen in many ways but everyone accepts her talent. Gaga is that weird bitch that people still have to be reminded of her singing ability. That matters a lot.

Some would argue that Taylor Swift could have done it, too.

8f70c6ea.gif

--Sold better.

The appeal and reach she has in the mainstream is astronomically (yes, astronomically) higher than anyone else in pop music. Seriously. Just look at all the articles online regarding this surprise album. The masses have pretty much assigned Beyonce as the be-all-end-all of feminine empowerment. The only people who seem to hate on her are cynical neo-feminists or people who have an unholy amount of receipts, because they had to dig deep to try and berate her character.

No one else is LESS polarizing than Beyonce. She's loved, universally. Between her beauty, style, elegance, class, powerhouse performance talent and iconography, she's THE most special pop star we have. The receipts in your post are irrelevant BECAUSE Beyonce exists.

Sorry.

At this point, I'm seriously just confused at how roy cannot comprehend what is special about Beyonce, who is one of the most successful musicians arguably in the league of the greats.

I can't even formulate words in having to explain what is so obvious -- the sheer talent and brains and presence -- Beyonce demonstrates with any offering she comes out with.

But I still like roy because he stans OB #CloneClub

royalan

The appeal and reach she has in the mainstream is astronomically (yes, astronomically) higher than anyone else in pop music. Seriously. Just look at all the articles online regarding this surprise album. The masses have pretty much assigned Beyonce as the be-all-end-all of feminine empowerment. The only people who seem to hate on her are cynical neo-feminists or people who have an unholy amount of receipts, because they had to dig deep to try and berate her character.

No one else is LESS polarizing than Beyonce. She's loved, universally. Between her beauty, style, elegance, class, powerhouse performance talent and iconography, she's THE most special pop star we have. The receipts in your post are irrelevant BECAUSE Beyonce exists.

Sorry.

Spoken like a true stan.

If people actually read my posts (which seems less likely these days), you'd see that I never denied Beyonce's ability to do this, just that she's not the only one who could have.

At this point, I'm seriously just confused at how roy cannot comprehend what is special about Beyonce, who is one of the most successful musicians arguably in the league of the greats.

I can't even formulate words in having to explain what is so obvious -- the sheer talent and brains and presence -- Beyonce demonstrates with any offering she comes out with.

But I still like roy because he stans OB #CloneClub

Ugh... for the last time, I didn't say Beyonce isn't a special person, or beautiful or talented or covered in creole seasonings or whatever it is you stans need to hear right now.

But NO, I don't think she's the ONLY act who could have pulled this off. There are girls in the game JUST AS BIG AS HER. Deal.

H9AR8Df.jpg

This is so true. It dismays me that an eminent woman of color would, rather than use her platform for empowerment, turn her back on her fellow sistas. Repulsive.

royalan

That instagram is stupid.

Rihanna is one of the most grounded Pop stars out right now. She STAYS spending time in Barbados hanging with her family and childhood friends. And didn't she just open a hospital there?

I love Roy but I do enjoy that he neglects some glaring criterion in evaluating Beyonce's worth or "specialness."

- Who's the best singer in pop music right now? Bey.
- Who's the best performer in pop music right now? Bey.
- Who's the only modern pop star who's accrued the moniker "Queen" in the mainstream who isn't named Madonna? Bey.
- Who has the most Grammys out of any contemporary pop star? Bey.
- Who has outsold your faves without hype, a single, an announcement, a warning, or getting out of bed? Bey.
- Who has had the most certifications in the last decade as documented by Billboard? Bey.
- Who can perform at the Super Bowl and serve so much ferocity and life-ending delirium that the entire stadium had to shut down to catch its breath? Bey.

Maybe what's so special about Beyonce is that she has pretty much all the characteristics that matter when we discuss everyone's worth in here. Even if she doesn't have the biggest base, the most sales, the highest-grossing tour or the most headlines, she is evidence that it takes more than being the BEST at only a handful of things to be top dog. She's done everything, been all over the map, and is now stronger than ever. People in here said that she was a redundant personality now because of people like Rihanna who usurped her appeal, or something. And yet Beyonce is on everybody's minds and lips right now, and made every diva bitch in the game look like an overstating industry hack. She wrecked it, and we can't say that anyone else has the power and balls to curb stomp the music industry like Beyonce did this holiday. So I guess one more:

- Who can straight up hijack the music industry when she goddamn wants to? Bey.

BOW DOWN. <3

royalan

I love Roy but I do enjoy that he neglects some glaring criterion in evaluating Beyonce's worth or "specialness."

- Who's the only modern pop star who's accrued the moniker "Queen" in the mainstream who isn't named Madonna? Bey.
- Who has outsold your faves without hype, a single, an announcement, a warning, or getting out of bed? Bey.
- Who has had the most certifications in the last decade as documented by Billboard? Bey.
- Who can perform at the Super Bowl and serve so much ferocity and life-ending delirium that the entire stadium had to shut down to catch its breath? Bey.

Maybe what's so special about Beyonce is that she has pretty much all the characteristics that matter when we discuss everyone's worth in here. Even if she doesn't have the biggest base, the most sales, the highest-grossing tour or the most headlines, she is evidence that it takes more than being the BEST at only a handful of things to be top dog. She's done everything, been all over the map, and is now stronger than ever. People in here said that she was a redundant personality now because of people like Rihanna who usurped her appeal, or something. And yet Beyonce is on everybody's minds and lips right now, and made every diva bitch in the game look like an overstating industry hack. She wrecked it, and we can't say that anyone else has the power and balls to curb stomp the music industry like Beyonce did this holiday. So I guess one more:

- Who can straight up hijack the music industry when she goddamn wants to? Bey.

WHAT ARE YOU EVEN ARGUING RIGHT NOW?

MIMIC

Banned

This is why I lurk here. You guys crack me up xD

WHAT ARE YOU EVEN ARGUING RIGHT NOW?

Girl I'm arguing against your assertion that Beyonce isn't "special" because pop star X has exceeded her on a handful of criterion that evidently make pop star X more "special." And I'm saying that I can make a convenient list about why Beyonce *is* special but that at the end of the day Beyonce is still the most substantial star in pop right now regardless of these receipts.

You're saying that she's not the only person who can pull off what she's done, and I'm saying that she is, BECAUSE she's the most universally un-hated person in pop music. Could Lady Gaga have captured headlines with a surprise iTunes release? Of course. Would she have sold as much? Hell no. She's too polarizing a figure to get most of the masses to tune in to the iTunes store to see what the fuss is about. Could Taylor Swift have done it? Maybe, but she's already been an active presence in music lately so a sudden Swift release would not have been that substantial to people who aren't necessarily tuned in to her. Could Britney have done it? She practically did with Britney Jean and you see what happened.

Point is, finding reasons for why Beyonce shouldn't QUITE get full credit for pulling something like this off is short-sighted to me. Of course I say this as a stan, because I support her and I support talent, but it doesn't take a stan to scoff at the notion that Beyonce's just lucky that she's the only one who thought to pull this off because anyone else could have. I seriously don't see how anyone else could have sold as much as she did with this. So what does that say about her power and appeal?

royalan

You're saying that she's not the only person who can pull off what she's done, and I'm saying that she is, BECAUSE she's the most universally un-hated person in pop music. Could Lady Gaga have captured headlines with a surprise iTunes release? Of course. Would she have sold as much? Hell no. She's too polarizing a figure to get most of the masses to tune in to the iTunes store to see what the fuss is about. Could Taylor Swift have done it? Maybe, but she's already been an active presence in music lately so a sudden Swift release would not have been that substantial to people who aren't necessarily tuned in to her. Could Britney have done it? She practically did with Britney Jean and you see what happened.

1) So, you basically agree with what my entire point has been this whole time?

2) But wait, didn't you just say Beyonce is the most polarizing pop star just two posts back?

No one else is LESS polarizing than Beyonce.

So which is it?
EDIT: Wait, read that wrong.

Point is, finding reasons for why Beyonce shouldn't QUITE get full credit for pulling something like this off is short-sighted to me. Of course I say this as a stan, because I support her and I support talent, but it doesn't take a stan to scoff at the notion that Beyonce's just lucky that she's the only one who thought to pull this off because anyone else could have. I seriously don't see how anyone else could have sold as much as she did with this. So what does that say about her power and appeal?

Don't do it, sis. I've been giving Beyonce her credit since the album dropped, but somebody asked the question and I answered. That's it. I don't think Bey is the only act that could have done this, a point you apparently don't disagree with that (even if you choose to ignore those pesky receipts). So what's the point of all this?

Nice to see the Beyhive is still as nuts as ever.

1) So, you basically agree with what my entire point has been this whole time?

2) But wait, didn't you just say Beyonce is the most polarizing pop star just two posts back?

So which is it?

No one's less polarizing than Beyonce because she's the least polarizing person in pop. There's no flip flop there girl

Don't do it, sis. I've been giving Beyonce her credit since the album dropped, but somebody asked the question and I answered. That's it. I don't think Bey is the only act that could have done this, a point you apparently don't disagree with that (even if you choose to ignore those pesky receipts). So what's the point of all this?

Nice to see the Beyhive is still as nuts as ever.

So should I give you credit for holding your tongue about it this long? I'm just refuting a single post you made where you decided to pile on your own cynicism about Beyonce's past (that, let's be honest, is about 70% alleged and not proven) to try and shit on an achievement that has only been done once, and probably won't happen again. If you call me a stan then I call you a professional cynic. And I guess it's hard to keep that all in when Beyonce's all over the world again, but expect me to whistle blow a good sis if I see some unfair clocking. :3

royalan

So should I give you credit for holding your tongue about it this long? I'm just refuting a single post you made where you decided to pile on your own cynicism about Beyonce's past (that, let's be honest, is about 70% alleged and not proven) to try and shit on an achievement that has only been done once, and probably won't happen again. If you call me a stan then I call you a professional cynic. And I guess it's hard to keep that all in when Beyonce's all over the world again, but expect me to whistle blow a good sis if I see some unfair clocking. :3

...what does Beyonce's past have to do with any of this??? My answer was based on receipts from the OTHER girls and determining whether or not they could pull a move like this, not my personal feelings about Beyonce. Hell, WHERE did I deny Beyonce's ability to do this? I even said that she's part of an exclusive group of celebrity who could have pulled something like this off...which is frankly more than I ever thought I'd have to compliment Beyonce in a lifetime.

...I see what this is. You're the one stuck in the past; and you've taken all the pent-up frustration for every time I dragged Bey for being a tryhard disgrace not worthy to lick the Popeye's crumbs off my floor, and you're paying me back for it now. Only you don't want to admit that. See, you've HATED the fact that I like the album and applauded Beyonce's savvy with the launch. You EXPECTED me to hate it - hate everything - and foam at the mouth about it, so you could then clock me from a position of righteousness. Only I didn't do that. I gave Bey her praise, which probably frustrated you to no end.

And so you waited. Waited until the moment that I said even the slightest thing negative about Beyoncé so you could launch into this diatribe of built-up tea that you've been wanting to spill this entire time!

How much of those posts did you already have written up in a word file, sis?

Oh, you Bey stans, I SEE THROUGH YOU ALL....

DMeisterJ

Banned
...what does Beyonce's past have to do with any of this??? My answer was based on receipts from the OTHER girls and determining whether or not they could pull a move like this, not my personal feelings about Beyonce. Hell, WHERE did I deny Beyonce's ability to do this? I even said that she's part of an exclusive group of celebrity who could have pulled something like this off...which is frankly more than I ever thought I'd have to compliment Beyonce in a lifetime.

...I see what this is. You're the one stuck in the past; and you've taken all the pent-up frustration for every time I dragged Bey for being a tryhard disgrace not worthy to lick the Popeye's crumbs off my floor, and you're paying me back for it now. Only you don't want to admit that. See, you've HATED the fact that I like the album and applauded Beyonce's savvy with the launch. You EXPECTED me to hate it - hate everything - and foam at the mouth about it, so you could then clock me from a position of righteousness. Only I didn't do that. I gave Bey her praise, which probably frustrated you to no end.

And so you waited. Waited until the moment that I said even the slightest thing negative about Beyoncé so you could launch into this diatribe of built-up tea that you've been wanting to spill this entire time!

ddddddd clock the Hive. I agrih with this whole post. They are so insufferable if you aren't laying praise on Beyonce, her alber, every since her recent success. The humility of the 4 era has taught them [ n o t h i n g ].

Oh well. All they're doing is setting themselves up to be super duper clocked if Bey ever falters again.

Touchdown

Banned
Mariah Carey is worth more than Jay-Z

Jay-Z is worth way more than Beyonce

Beyonce is worth more than 50 cent

50 cent is worth more than Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga is worth more than Eminem

Eminem is worth more than Lil&#8217; Wayne

Lil Wayne is worth more than Kanye West

Kanye is worth more than Avicii

Avicii is worth more than Nick Cannon

Mariah is worth more than 5 Kanyes.

OMG

ddddddd clock the Hive. I agrih with this whole post. They are so insufferable if you aren't laying praise on Beyonce, her alber, every since her recent success. The humility of the 4 era has taught them [ n o t h i n g ].

Oh well. All they're doing is setting themselves up to be super duper clocked if Bey ever falters again.

Wowowowowkwkwkfndbsiavdosbsosbsb!!!

So all of a sudden. The hive is nuts because your trying your hardest to DOWNPLAY her success by saying that..

A) She is boring
B) Anyone could of did it even Gaga or Taylor Ha!
C) There's nothing special about her but talent

And the hive is nuts?! I can't. Y'all like to call the hive out for defending our fav without even attacking your team but here you are doing that by insulting us because you disagree. Ridiculous........

Majmun

BEYONCÉ is the best selling and best reviewed album coming from the popgirls this year. Some just can't handle.

Let them seethe, I'd say. It's only going to get worse for them
io2OYk1Q8iSxC.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom