• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAFPOP |OT8| Don't Forget the self-clockiesT of 'em all_

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zutroy

I am Britney Jean was really good. Y'all should watch. I can see why there's been no promo for the album.

Show looks amazing.
Alien is going to be a single.
Dancney was there.
Britney is the most adorable person ever!

royalan

I can just feel the fumes coming off Royalan when he's talking about Beyoncé, lol

LOL - eh, I still like the album. But now that everyone's coming down from Hype Town I have to admit that this album is far from perfect.

I really dislike how a lot of tracks feel stitched together. Like a bunch of interludes thematically threaded together very loosely and not really making sense as one piece. As such, there are so many songs on BEYONCE that I want to like more than I do because I like part of them, but not the whole. Partition, Haunted, ***Flawless - these are all songs that I like parts of, but then get completely thrown out of the groove when the song transitions. Blow is the only song that gets the whole sectional thing completely right, mostly because the song allows itself to rest in each groove before it transitions - and each individual part fits together thematically.

Also, I can't help but notice how none of the songs really feel classic. The album is solid, but none of these song really have that timeless quality to them (instantly catchy hooks and melodies), and I honestly don't see myself listening to any of this a few months from now. BEYONCE is a very "in this moment" album.

But, that said, there's some stuff here that I really do like:

Songs Worth Giving A Damn About
Blow (best track on the album)
Pretty Hurts
Drunk in Love (I go back and forth on this one, honestly)
No Angel
Heaven
Blue (Not really my cup of tea, but I love how Beyonce sings this)

Oh, and XO needs to be thrown off a bridge. Such a junk song. It sounds like Beyonce went into the studio and specifically asked for something that sounded like an Arcade Fire leftover.

Mumei

I really like the excerpt from the speech. The speaker was spitting pure unadulterated truth. I have to commend Bey's team for including that.

She says she was browsing videos about feminism on Youtube when she came across it.

I think Beyoncé uses "I" to refer to herself, her team, and anyone who happened to inspire her.

Edit: Royalancé, while I personally enjoy the entire album I am glad to see that we both have the same favorite song. Blow is wonderful. Bey doesn't give Donna nearly enough nods for being one of her biggest influences.

It's not? ***Flawless is fucking terrible. I have the same problem with it that I had with Partition: it jumps all over the place too goddamn much, and then it ends so abruptly after the speech that goes on way too long.It was a much better song when it was Bow Down.

Although, it did make me seek out the Tedx talk from Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie from which the speech in the song is pulled. It was good talk.

Aren't Partition and ***Flawless are two songs in one?

botty

Banned
Aren't Partition and ***Flawless are two songs in one?

Partition includes "Yonce"

4md.gif

Mumei

Oh, botty. Your avatar reminds me! I saw this vocal range video for Jared Leto last night. I haven't watched it yet, though. I suspect I'll think like 2 octaves of it shouldn't count but whatever. You may find it interesting.

DMeisterJ

Banned
She says she was browsing videos about feminism on Youtube when she came across it.

I think Beyoncé uses "I" to refer to herself, her team, and anyone who happened to inspire her.

I watched her say that. That was the shade. I honestly can't believe the same person that wrote and produced a song about playing second-fiddle to a man ("Ran by the men, but the women keep the tempo," "Still play my part and let you take the lead role") was watching videos about feminism. But I do like that she turned me onto that talk, and it the speaker was amazing.

Songs Worth Giving A Damn About
Blow (best track on the album)
Pretty Hurts
Drunk in Love (I go back and forth on this one, honestly)

Oh, and XO needs to be thrown off a bridge. Such a junk song. It sounds like Beyonce went into the studio and specifically asked for something that sounded like an Arcade Fire leftover.

TEA.

botty

Banned
Oh, botty. Your avatar reminds me! I saw this vocal range video for Jared Leto last night. I haven't watched it yet, though. I suspect I'll think like 2 octaves of it shouldn't count but whatever. You may find it interesting.

I could listen to his b2s all day.

ec20fb7f.gif

This is a pretty impressive video considering it goes through almost his entire discography for notes. Whenever you get a chance to listen to this, tell me what you think of those higher notes. ��

edit: the latter half of this video is just screaming.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Also, I can't help but notice how none of the songs really feel classic. The album is solid, but none of these song really have that timeless quality to them (instantly catchy hooks and melodies), and I honestly don't see myself listening to any of this a few months from now. BEYONCE is a very "in this moment" album.

Not every great album is chock full of instantly catchy hooks and melodies though. No surprises that you don't see yourself listening to it a few months from now but bless you for being honest about your bandwagoning.
inXsFqMtQiQ38.png

[edit] oh and I want everyone to know that I am fuming that Le1f didn't smash when bargain bin trash like Iggy Azealea can make a decent go at it. racism and homophobia are horrible things tbh.

I can't at Roy trying to go in on BEYONCE... The seething is so strong.

Edit: And I'll explain why... Personally for me, the more complex the beat, the better the production. Why? Because it's easier to make a 3 layered track that is the simple format for a song. However, great producers know how to switch it up and bring entire separate pieces together into one solid complex beat. Your average producer isn't going to spend the same time as others to make some of that high quality production. They take the easy way out. One of the reasons why this particular album was mostly praised for its production was because of that reason. Your average album had a normal transition in each song which is.. Verse + Hook + Chorus + Verse + Hook + Chorus + Bridge + Chorus....

Where is the creativity in that? That format to me is boring and always has been boring. It's the traditional song and it does not show off a producers strength. You can have a bop beat but if that's what your showing on the front, it really doesn't show off your skills. So I disagree entirely with your transition argument. I have no clue what you were hearing but I can hear every transition in there and how they glue it together.

How am I going in? I LIKE the album. But it's got problems.

Maybe I should be like other bandwagoners and think the album is completely perfect until next month when I'll suddenly hate everything?

I edited my post but I don't get the criticism of the broken parts not making sense. It is a visual album that are broken apart as interludes . In fact, I haven't heard an album where the interludes make sense anyways. I don't even get how Haunted (Ghost) doesn't do it right when it's by far the BEST ones that goes into an amazing sequence from its own entity. It blends perfectly into the Haunted. That whole beat transition was absolutely beautiful.

Edit: Royalancé, while I personally enjoy the entire album I am glad to see that we both have the same favorite song. Blow is wonderful. Bey doesn't give Donna nearly enough nods for being one of her biggest influences.
Listen to Naughty Girl from the "I Am..." concerts for a pretty substantial nod to DonnasuS.

DMeisterJ

Banned

Maybe I should be like other bandwagoners and think the album is completely perfect until next month when I'll suddenly hate everything?

Anyone who isn't layering it with praise is pressed, seething, or fuming.

royalan

I edited my post but I don't get the criticism of the broken parts not making sense. It is a visual album that are broken apart as interludes . In fact, I haven't heard an album where the interludes make sense anyways. I don't even get how Haunted (Ghost) doesn't do it right when it's by far the BEST ones that goes into an amazing sequence from its own entity. It blends perfectly into the Haunted. That whole beat transition was absolutely beautiful.

You forget, my fave is Xtina...so I simply have a higher standard when it comes to interludes/intros. Xtina is the queen of them.

royalan

Speaking of interludes, the most ridiculous one I've ever heard:

Your love is Beyond what I can Say.
Beyond. Say.
Beyoncé

Kiiiiiiiiii....

ARTPOP and BEYONCE are the musical yin and yang of my life right now.

Every mood I'm in can fit into some song from these albums. Such a happy stan this Christmas. :)

OmniGamer

I can't at Roy trying to go in on BEYONCE... The seething is so strong.

Edit: And I'll explain why... Personally for me, the more complex the beat, the better the production. Why? Because it's easier to make a 3 layered track that is the simple format for a song. However, great producers know how to switch it up and bring entire separate pieces together into one solid complex beat. Your average producer isn't going to spend the same time as others to make some of that high quality production. They take the easy way out. One of the reasons why this particular album was mostly praised for its production was because of that reason. Your average album had a normal transition in each song which is.. Verse + Hook + Chorus + Verse + Hook + Chorus + Bridge + Chorus....

Where is the creativity in that? That format to me is boring and always has been boring. It's the traditional song and it does not show off a producers strength. You can have a bop beat but if that's what your showing on the front, it really doesn't show off your skills. So I disagree entirely with your transition argument. I have no clue what you were hearing but I can hear every transition in there and how they glue it together.

I have to agree...wish I had the technical prowess to expand on why I do(I can't with y'alls scale analysis, live performance note hitting receipts and whatnot :))but I just do...the album ingrained itself pretty effortlessly, with me waking up with random parts of random song in my head. Even song I thought were ok to meh early on...it's pretty subversive. No Angel went from a shrug inducing "Well...there's always gotta be one[/] of these I guess", to "Yassssss....tell me do you wanna riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiidddddeeeeeee"

I love the transitions, I love the build ups and change ups, they feel pretty organic to me

Majmun

When Beyoncé Samples Your TED Talk, This Is What Happens to Your Book

Being on a Bey track is always good, but it’s particularly good when you have a book to promote. Adichie’s third novel, Americanah, came out earlier this year. Has the book benefited by Beyoncé?

At 5 p.m. on December 12, 2013—the day before the album came out—Amazon ranked Americanah #861 of all hardcover books.

Five days later, the book was ranked #632. Today, the book is ranked #179.

Her crazy power *.*

OchreHand

No Angel is a song I want to like because the beat is pretty hot but Beyonce sounds shrilly in the opening. And when she does that falsetto thing in that song she sounds like Ciara.

Majmun

No stunt: Beyonce's sneak attack on the music industry resets the rules

(CNN) -- The game just changed. And Beyonce just changed it.

When Beyonce surprised the entire music industry this month by releasing her latest album, "Beyonce," only on iTunes first -- with no warning, no other promotion, no launch parties, no advance radio play, none of the traditional pre-sale retail hype -- she showed how only a true star can break this industry glass ceiling. When it comes to business savvy, she just joined the lists of the greats.

No one in the music industry could have pulled this off except Beyonce. Her global fans follow her 24/7 online, on the air and on social media. And, like Michael Jackson, her stardom keeps fans anticipating her next song, her next dance move, her next fashion statement and her next signature on the dotted line.

It didn't matter if retailers like Target -- who just announced their plans -- decided not to sell the LP that hit retail outlets Friday because it was released on iTunes first. Other outlets, such as Walmart (where Beyonce made a surprise appearance), have stepped up and will sell out before they can order their next shipment. Target's loss, Walmart's gain.

CNN

Just unstoppable

It's hard to take you seriously when you cape for every tryhard trollop who screeches in a studio.
ieofpuFLsJdHJ.gif

DMeisterJ

Banned
We teach girls to shrink themselves, to make themselves smaller
We say to girls: "You can have ambition, but not too much
You should aim to be successful, but not too successful
Otherwise, you will threaten the man"
Because I am female, I am expected to aspire to marriage
I am expected to make my life choices
Always keeping in mind that marriage is most important
Now, marriage can be a source of joy and love and mutual support
But why do we teach girls to aspire to marriage
And we don't teach boys the same?
We raise girls to see each other as competitors
Not for jobs or for accomplishments, which I think can be a good thing
But for the attention of men
We teach girls that they cannot be sexual beings in the way that boys are
Feminist: a person who believes in the social
Political, and economic equality of the sexes

67d90ee8.gif
67d90ee8.gif
67d90ee8.gif

We teach girls to shrink themselves, to make themselves smaller
We say to girls: "You can have ambition, but not too much
You should aim to be successful, but not too successful
Otherwise, you will threaten the man"
Because I am female, I am expected to aspire to marriage
I am expected to make my life choices
Always keeping in mind that marriage is most important
Now, marriage can be a source of joy and love and mutual support
But why do we teach girls to aspire to marriage
And we don't teach boys the same?
We raise girls to see each other as competitors
Not for jobs or for accomplishments, which I think can be a good thing
But for the attention of men
We teach girls that they cannot be sexual beings in the way that boys are
Feminist: a person who believes in the social
Political, and economic equality of the sexes

67d90ee8.gif
67d90ee8.gif
67d90ee8.gif

I saw this posted on tumblr a few months ago and was so excited when I heard that Beyonce sampled it.

Touchdown

Banned
Just wanted to say an early Merry Christmas in case I'm not able to sign on the next couple of days. I hope you guys (and gals) have a fun and safe holiday! This year went by so fast, damn. :p

iEgPH9RXnSNLh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom