• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAFPOP |OT8| Don't Forget the self-clockiesT of 'em all_

Status
Not open for further replies.

cory64

It's more analogous to the Olympics. Only a few athletes are capable of being more impressive when using untraditional techniques than the flawless execution of the truly trained and gifted.

Mumei

I mean why ask questions you know the answer to.

Well, I did it because I thought you were just teasing and weren't actually trying to be rude, so I was responding in kind.

So: I apologize for that mistake.

I discuss it because it is a subject that interests me, not as an abstraction but because I can hear the differences Leona is talking about, and they can hinder or enhance a performance, and my aesthetic appreciation for it. These discussions happen intermittently at most, and while I do not have any specific training in the area, I have made a point of discussing points of interest with people who do, doing relevant reading on the subject, and have learned (and am learning!) to be a more discerning listener. If you have specific criticisms where something I am saying is mistaken, rather than vague analogies that don't reflect the situation, feel free to bring them up.

If not, keep scrolling and don't thread whine.

Well, I did it because I thought you were just teasing and weren't actually trying to be rude, so I was responding in kind.

I discuss it because it is a subject that interests me, not as an abstraction but because I can hear the differences Leona is talking about, and they can hinder or enhance a performance, and my aesthetic appreciation for it. These discussions happen intermittently at most, and while I do not have any specific training in the area, I have made a point of discussing points of interest with people who do, doing relevant reading on the subject, and have learned (and am learning!) to be a more discerning listener. If you have specific criticisms where something I am saying is mistaken, rather than vague analogies that don't reflect the situation, feel free to bring them up.

i6OifX4Zp6ty4.gif

Qazaq

Banned
That's because so much of what constitutes "good" acting is entirely subjective.

...which isn't as true as you so care-freely assume. Which is why that's my point.

I'm simply saying that in this world of Vocal-GAF of Pop-GAF, I'm just hoping people aren't lost in their own literal world of their own lingo and definitions that may or may not have any baring on what they would actually be called in the real world. Because you're using these definitions and these lingos to have discussions and draw conclusions about who is "technically" a better singer, as if it's a statement of fact. If people are going to draw objective conclusions, I am just hoping the criteria they used to draw these conclusions comes grounded from the real world's definitions and lingos.

If you're going to make an equation where the conclusion is a statement of fact, if you're going to say something + something = z (where 'z' is how you "rate" a singer) then I'm hoping your x + y = z is relatively similar to the world's x + y = z, instead of thinking your equation is x + y = z, when you may in *actuality* be accidentally saying f + k = z.

That's all.

Koodo

Banned
Because you're using these definitions and these lingos to have discussions and draw conclusions about who is "technically" a better singer, as if it's a statement of fact.
Your fave is objectively shit to the point that not even studio miracles can process the damaged tone into a spectrum of decency.

That's all.

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
I'm crying.

Britney also performed Lucky, the pop ballad of our generation.

Vegasney is giving me everything ;______;
Britney also performed Lucky, the pop ballad of our generation.
the pop ballad of our generation.
LOL WHAT?

I'm sorry, no.

I don't know what I'd give that credit, but certainly not that song. Especially not now that Taylor Swift basically wrote a better version of it.

On the other hand, those pics make me want to see her show for the tech aspects alone. /nerd

Majmun

Wtf, I love it when there's a discussion about vocals. I find it quite interesting and it's something that definitely belongs in POPGAF

Majmun

Chart Watch: Beyoncé Takes Female Record

Beyoncé's "Beyoncé" sold 991K copies in its first 10 days of release.
"Beyoncé" is a cinch to top the 1 million mark in U.S. sales next week. It will become Beyoncé's first album to sell 1 million copies in just three weeks. Her previous fastest album to reach 1M was "I Am…Sasha Fierce," which took four weeks.
If "Beyoncé" sells about 100K copies in the coming week, it will wind up as one of the top 10 albums of 2013.
"Beyoncé" is the singer's fifth studio album. It's rather unusual for an artist to release an eponymous album this deep into a career. There are only five other cases where an artist has reached #1 with an eponymous album this far along.
"Beyoncé" is vying to become the first album to wind up in the year-end top 10 based on just three weeks of sales availability since Nielsen SoundScan began tracking music sales in 1991.
Moreover, if "Beyoncé" winds up in the year-end top 10, this will be the sixth year that Beyoncé has achieved that feat (counting her work with Destiny's Child). This would put her in a tie with Garth Brooks, Mariah Carey and Eminem as the only artists to have made the year-end top 10 in six different years since 1991, when Nielsen SoundScan began tracking music sales.
"Beyoncé" is the singer's fifth studio album. It's rather unusual for an artist to release an eponymous album this deep into a career. There are only five other cases where an artist has reached #1 with an eponymous album this far along.

I mean this in a nutshell. All the rest of that “If you don't know what your talking about, you shouldn't be able to even participate." Is bull. It's all about learning and discussion.

I mean what other evidence is out there for us to critique an artist voice anyways if YouTube is not acceptable? The studio track that's highly masked and doesn't show off the artist actual skill? Have then come over my house so I can hear them live? Like what?

Movies show and artist skill because it is live and not buttered up. Video games show a developers skill as it is the final representation of their work. Music is completely different as the only realistic representation of the skill is listening to the raw material outside the studio.

Bladenic

So yesterday on my car trip I listened to ARTPOP, Days are Gone, and Yoncé in quick succession. Now, I think I can safely say:

Days are God > ARTPOP > Yoncé

There are the most songs I would skip on Yoncé, but the highs are super high.

Styles

So yesterday on my car trip I listened to ARTPOP, Days are Gone, and Yoncé in quick succession. Now, I think I can safely say:

Days are God > ARTPOP > Yoncé

There are the most songs I would skip on Yoncé, but the highs are super high.

I feel the same way as well. I currently have 6 tracks from Beyoncé on rotation.

Bladenic

j-cole-quotes-2013-i10.gif

No lie.

It's amazing that in a year when Drake, Kanye, Jay-Z, and Eminem all released new albums, it was J. Cole that had the best one of all.

Crooked Smile
Villuminati
Forbidden Fruit (truly the male Azealia Banks with that raucously salacious wordplay tbh)

He also gets the "most improved" award, because Born Sinner is a Herculean leap from anything he's ever done.

Oh I almost missed this post. Thanks for getting me to listen to BS again. Such a good album. Don't forget Power Trip.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Baby daylight's wasting...
You better kiss me...
Before our time is run out...
Nobody sees what we see.

#dead

It borders on sentimental but no song has slaughtered me since NIN's In This Twilight. The best.

Grizzo

I never listend to that Pink album, is it good? I loved everything of hers up to and including Funhouse.

It has amazing singles (I mean, come on, Try and Just Give Me a Reason are really well-crafted pop hits), but the rest is so-so. Except maybe for the title track.

I'd rank her albums in that order :

1) M!ssundaztood
2) Try This
3) I'm Not Dead
4) Funhouse
5) Can't Take Me Home
6) The Truth About Love

So... yeah, not great but still worth a listen.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
It has amazing singles (I mean, come on, Try and Just Give Me a Reason are really well-crafted pop hits), but the rest is so-so. Except maybe for the title track.

I'd rank her albums in that order :

1) M!ssundaztood
2) Try This
3) I'm Not Dead
4) Funhouse
5) Can't Take Me Home
6) The Truth About Love

So... yeah, not great but still worth a listen.
That list
ibiLrsZWa7n0gC.gif

1-Can't Take Me HOme
2- Missundastood
3- I'm Not Dead
4- Funhouse
5- Try This
6- The Truth About Love

Grizzo

That list
ibiLrsZWa7n0gC.gif

1-Can't Take Me HOme
2- Missundastood
3- I'm Not Dead
4- Funhouse
5- Try This
6- The Truth About Love

Haha don't get me wrong, I LOVE "R&B" Pink, Can't Take Me Home is still a really great album to bop to from time to time (especially Most Girls and Hell Wit Ya). But I was so in love with M!ssundaztood that I couldn't help but be obsessed with her, so when she released Try This, I listened to it over and over again until I fell in love with all the songs on it.

But I can see how somebody can dislike Try This. It sounds patchy at times.

i0ScfoPwqc30k.gif

Nemesis_

I didn't realise that Britney's residency had actually begun, but judging by the photos it looks like a return to form after the Femme Fatale tour (which IMO looked really fucking cheap and nasty).

Seeing shots from a tour gets me so excited T_T Except I know there's no way I'll ever find the time, money or rationale to fly all the way to Vegas just to see her.

It makes me look forward to the artRave

where the fuck is the DWUW video is gaga dead

OmniGamer

I mean why ask questions you know the answer to.

I just find the concept of people who know nothing about singing analyzing singers as if they do to not only be disingenuous and hoity toity, but it's so boring. Like. Yawn. What a snoozefest. Who cares how raspy Faith Hill sounded during some performance of Cry. Is there some point that someone -- who doesn't really know anything about singing -- is trying to make?

Pop-GAF is like a synonym for obnoxious, so I get it, but I'm often reading this thread on my phone, and anytime I have to scroll through 12 YouTube videos of some random Korean singer no one here has heard if because we have to talk about her head to chest transition I'm just like... Really....

I kind of see your point...it's kind of like on the gaming side (back when I used to game), when eventually a discussion would devolve into an every-increasingly nitpicking series of screen shots(direct feed vs post processed bullshots), Gifs, 30Fps vs 60fps, antialiasing this and anisotropic that, dithering, phong shading, NURBs, Ray tracing, polygon counts, parallax layers, true transparencies etc. GraphiczWhore-GAF

Grizzo

I didn't realise that Britney's residency had actually begun, but judging by the photos it looks like a return to form after the Femme Fatale tour (which IMO looked really fucking cheap and nasty).

Seeing shots from a tour gets me so excited T_T Except I know there's no way I'll ever find the time, money or rationale to fly all the way to Vegas just to see her.

I'd agree with you, but watching the Toxic performance makes me realize she will never be at her top level ever again. Still, I guess it's better to have her performing (however lazily) than not performing at all.

I can always tell when a vocaltechniqueGAF post is coming because my iPad browser crashes a few times when loading the page containing it.

RuPaul is putting the finishing touches on ha new album!!!
of covers by the season 6 queens?!?! Not sure if want...

Wilsongt

I can always tell when a vocaltechniqueGAF post is coming because my iPad browser crashes a few times when loading the page containing it.

RuPaul is putting the finishing touches on ha new album!!!
of covers by the season 6 queens?!?! Not sure if want...

47777-Rupaul-gif-I-cant-wait-to-see-czuJ.gif

In other news, I am getting life this morning from Rocket before I go get my hur cut.

So rock right up to
The side of my mountain
Climb until you reach my peak babe, my peak, the peak
And reach right into the bottom of my fountain
I wanna play in your deep end, your deep end, the deep
Then dip me under where you can feel my river flowing flow
Hold me 'til I scream for air to breathe
Don't wash me over until my well runs dry
Send all your sins all over me babe, over me

Rocket 'til waterfalls
Rocket 'til waterfalls
Rocket 'til waterfalls
Bathe in these waterfalls

I do it like it's my profession
I gotta make a confession
I'm proud of all this bass
Lemme put it in your face
By the way
If you need a personal trainer or a therapist
I can be a piece of sunshine, inner peace, entertainer
Anything else that you may read between the lines
You and I create
Rockets and waterfalls

hair-fix.jpg

Koodo

Banned
You can still see her counting steps for a hot second, but it's such a monumental improvement from Circus and Femme Fatale in execution and complexity. But what #slayed me is how she carries herself with enthusiasm and ferocity again rather than the barbadian-sized anemic tragedy of those tours. It's not a return to her ITZ peak, but it's definitely a return to a level that qualifies as a performance.

I need to book a trip to that wretched city again and visit the three Queens on the strip and that tapas placed I loved a few blocks down. *.*

royalan

I kind of see your point...it's kind of like on the gaming side (back when I used to game), when eventually a discussion would devolve into an every-increasingly nitpicking series of screen shots(direct feed vs post processed bullshots), Gifs, 30Fps vs 60fps, antialiasing this and anisotropic that, dithering, phong shading, NURBs, Ray tracing, polygon counts, parallax layers, true transparencies etc. GraphiczWhore-GAF

Only it's not like that at all.

DMeisterJ

Banned

It makes me look forward to the artRave

where the fuck is the DWUW video is gaga dead
Katy Perry loved it.

tumblr_myj4nzQD5n1qhi8xvo1_500.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom