• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAFPOP |OT8| Don't Forget the self-clockiesT of 'em all_

Status
Not open for further replies.
Revoking Soul-sis stan card and giving it to you, tbh.
I've also admitted, I suppose, that I keep all my music in a generic folder called "Mainstream" and that the other 90% of my iTunes library is Pimsleur Chinese tapes.

And gerl I have written ESSAYS on Back to Basics and decided not to post them because I didn't want to come across as overly fawning. But I can't hold it in anymore ;_;

royalan

I've also admitted, I suppose, that I keep all my music in a generic folder called "Mainstream" and that the other 90% of my iTunes library is Pimsleur Chinese tapes.

And gerl I have written ESSAYS on Back to Basics and decided not to post them because I didn't want to come across as overly fawning. But I can't hold it in anymore ;_;

Sis, let it out.

Embrace your inner #Fighter. ;____;

tumblr_my2kimFrad1r33943o5_250.gif

royalan

The only person that can revoke my Fighter stan card is Xtina herself. She and I go way back girl

I could never actually revoke your stan card sis. ;____;

Now I want a thesis on Xtina's life and career thus far that spans at least 2 posts. Complete with images.

Touchdown

Banned

YAS, Mariah's You and I is one of my favorites too. What a haunting soulful version she sang at that Stevie tribute in '02.

i3ADHtaDu08zu.gif

The only person that can revoke my Fighter stan card is Xtina herself. She and I go way back girl

I actually credit Soulyincé for my Xpiphany. After all, it was her AguilepiC greatest pop albums list that compelled me to unearth Lotustina's pre-Bionic flawlessness.

Thank you Soultina Scribeluba ;_;

iwb07CTRghPHz.gif

Hopefully, she'll do what she did with Andre 3000 and substitute Jay Z for J. Cole
My baby-daddy
j-cole-quotes-2013-i10.gif

No lie.

It's amazing that in a year when Drake, Kanye, Jay-Z, and Eminem all released new albums, it was J. Cole that had the best one of all.

Crooked Smile
Villuminati
Forbidden Fruit (truly the male Azealia Banks with that raucously salacious wordplay tbh)

He also gets the "most improved" award, because Born Sinner is a Herculean leap from anything he's ever done.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
Haters can only bother you if you aren't doing anything to prove them wrong. I can't sing? I'm singing on the treadmill and practicing my ass off. You think I'm fat? I'm already in the gym!!!!! You think I'm irrelevant? WATCH THA F*** OUT.. 2014 I'm GOING IN with my music and touring!!!!!!! Nobody's gonna stop my grind..... LET'S DO THIS LOVATICS!!!!!! 😄😄😄 #PUMPED

http://tmi.me/1dalhN

Here for MITUSA being re-released

royalan

To be honest, I was expecting to like her. My mother owns a couple of her albums, and I remember liking them, and I didn't remember her giving off 'studio singer' vibes. So much for that!

To be a little fair to Faith here, she seemed to find her groove a bit by the end. I think she was having trouble with those low notes, which would probably pose a problem for a lot of female singers (most of the chorus of that song is 3rd octave notes, right?).

But yeah, that was still a mess.

royalan

Reba is of course Queen.
Lord I was ADDICTED to her show on the WB

And NAWT Leanne Grimes. LOL

Nobody wants to give her credit. I think she's actually good...or was.

Mumei

To be a little fair to Faith here, she seemed to find her groove a bit by the end. I think she was having trouble with those low notes, which would probably pose a problem for a lot of female singers (most of the chorus of that song is 3rd octave notes, right?).

But yeah, that was still a mess.

My pitch for female lows is truly wretched, anyway, but I'd guess middle-low fourth, instead. When she sings low she has that sort of swallowed quality, like she's pushing her larynx down to darken her tone that makes her sound lower than she is. I don't think she has the sort of voice that would comfortably song third octave lines, either.

And look, she lost her groove.

royalan

My pitch for female lows is truly wretched, anyway, but I'd guess middle-low fourth, instead. When she sings low she has that sort of swallowed quality, like she's pushing her larynx down to darken her tone that makes her sound lower than she is. I don't think she has the sort of voice that would comfortably song third octave lines, either.

And look, she lost her groove.

I'll take your word for it. Your is IS better than mine, after all. ;)

Also, what do you think of her here, performing Cry at the Grammy's? She's raspier here than usual (apparently she was sick), but she stays on pitch for most of the song (she's flat on a few notes in the song's final chorus, but it's not too noticeable. EDIT: Also, in the very first phrase of the song. ;_____;). I think she does a great job on what's actually a pretty difficult song to sing.

I tend to think Faith is better singer than Shania, but sometime's it's hard to gauge, because I don't think Shania's songs are all that difficult, whereas Faith has some pretty range-y songs in her catalog. Shania's voice has definitely aged better, too.

Mumei

I'll take your word for it. Your is IS better than mine, after all. ;)

It really isn't. I should point it out more often when you comment on something pitch-related that I only discern after you've pointed it out.

Also, what do you think of her here, performing Cry at the Grammy's? She's raspier here than usual (apparently she was sick), but she stays on pitch for most of the song (she's flat on a few notes in the song's final chorus, but it's not too noticeable. EDIT: Also, in the very first phrase of the song. ;_____;). I think she does a great job on what's actually a pretty difficult song to sing.

I don't think she sounded good. Granted, she does sound sick but... still. There are extenuating circumstances for sounding bad, but you still sound bad.

I tend to think Faith is better singer than Shania, but sometime's it's hard to gauge, because I don't think Shania's songs are all that difficult, whereas Faith has some pretty range-y songs in her catalog. Shania's voice has definitely aged better, too.

Really? I haven't listened to Faith all that much mind you, but Shania, if nothing else is usually supported, on-pitch, and maintains an even tone. I don't think she's an incredible vocalist or anything, but she passes my bar for competence. I think you're giving Faith the Christina treatment, by rewarding her for the difficulty of her material*, even though she can't actually do it justice live.

* I am taking it as a given that you are right about that! since I have no opinion on the matter.

Also, vocal-GAF is the worst thing to ever happen to this thread.

Do you stan Christina or something?

In the darkest night I’ll
I’ll search through the crowd
Your face is all that I see
I’ll give you everything
Baby love me lights out
Baby love me lights out
You can turn my lights out

tumblr_myfkcmXCkA1qc5i9so1_500.gif

I love it like XO
You love me like XO
You kill me boy XO
You love me like XO
All that I see
Give me everything
Baby love me lights out
Baby love me lights out
You can turn my lights out

Do you stan Christina or something?
Is it bad that this was my first thought too?

Qazaq

Banned
I mean why ask questions you know the answer to.

I just find the concept of people who know nothing about singing analyzing singers as if they do to not only be disingenuous and hoity toity, but it's so boring. Like. Yawn. What a snoozefest. Who cares how raspy Faith Hill sounded during some performance of Cry. Is there some point that someone -- who doesn't really know anything about singing -- is trying to make?

Pop-GAF is like a synonym for obnoxious, so I get it, but I'm often reading this thread on my phone, and anytime I have to scroll through 12 YouTube videos of some random Korean singer no one here has heard if because we have to talk about her head to chest transition I'm just like... Really....

I just find the concept of people who know nothing about singing analyzing singers as if they do to not only be disingenuous and hoity toity, but it's so boring. Like. Yawn. What a snoozefest. Who cares how raspy Faith Hill sounded during some performance of Cry. Is there some point that someone -- who doesn't really know anything about singing -- is trying to make?
I see where you're coming from, but I've never really seen that around these parts. When guerls like Mumei criticize a singer's vocal performance, it's never about the technical aspects in a vacuum. Rather, it's how lack of breath control, proper positioning, or any sense of musicality detract from one's enjoyment of a vocal performance. Or conversely, how proper technique can elevate something meh to something great (see Whitney Houston's entire shit-filled discography).

In any case, this entire thread goes down in flames if the pre-requisite for critiquing someone's work is being able to do that work yourself.

royalan

Pop-GAF is like a synonym for obnoxious, so I get it, but I'm often reading this thread on my phone, and anytime I have to scroll through 12 YouTube videos of some random Korean singer no one here has heard if because we have to talk about her head to chest transition I'm just like... Really....

Well, sis, obviously some of us care for it, or it wouldn't be getting discussed. That much is obvious.

Secondly, exactly HEW are you trying to come for here with all this "dragging" of people who "don't know about singing?" I think anybody in this thread who has commented at length on someone's vocal ability has demonstrated enough knowledge on the subject to speak on it. I say that as a singer, but even someone who doesn't sing (like Mumei) doesn't have to prove themselves outside of their incredibly informed and knowledgeable posts on the subject. You're gonna have to support your arguments a bit better than that, I'm afraid.

Qazaq

Banned
I see where you're coming from, but I've never really seen that around these parts. When guerls like Mumei criticize a singer's vocal performance, it's never about the technical aspects in a vacuum. Rather, it's how lack of breath control, proper positioning, or any sense of musicality detract from one's enjoyment of a vocal performance. Or conversely, how proper technique can elevate something meh to something great (see Whitney Houston's entire shit-filled discography).

In any case, this entire thread goes down in flames if the pre-requisite for critiquing someone's work is being able to do that work yourself.

I get what you're saying as well, but isn't what I bolded sort of ridiculous?

People are analyzing singing technique of famous singers, whose job it is to sing, when they may not know a lick of what you're talking about. Edit: Roy, if you know what you're talking about and have something educated to say, hey, I'd be interested in reading it.

It would be like trying to judge an actor's performance by the amount of "genuine" emotions he or she experiences.

We judge music because its product is for us. A performance is for us, but acting like singing scholars on different YouTube videos is another thing.

I mean, "proper positioning"? How does one ascertain and then judge this out of a YouTube video? It's just so weird. I know enough about singing to know that, generally speaking, the more open your instrument, the more you're able to sing whatever you can think. When people talk about placement, are they acting like these professional singers don't have their sound fully in their mask? And they can judge how one person does off a YouTube video versus another and thus Faith Hill is a better singer than Shania Twain?

Look people like to geek out over random things, and this is one of them, and I'm sure vocal-GAF will continue, but I did want to at least VOICE my eye rolling irritation, before a new page of endless YouTube links are posted.

royalan

People are analyzing singing technique of famous singers, whose job it is to sing, when they may not know a lick of what you're talking about. Edit: Roy, if you know what you're talking about and have something educated to say, hey, I'd be interested in reading it.

It would be like trying to judge an actor's performance by the amount of "genuine" emotions he or she experiences.

We judge music because its product is for us. A performance is for us, but acting like singing scholars on different YouTube videos is another thing.

I mean, "proper positioning"? How does one ascertain and then judge this out of a YouTube video? It's just so weird. I know enough about singing to know that, generally speaking, the more open your instrument, the more you're able to sing whatever you can think. When people talk about placement, are they acting like these professional singers don't have their sound fully in their mask? And they can judge how one person does off a YouTube video versus another and this Faith Hill is a better singer than Shania Twain?

Look people like to geek out over random things, and this is one of them, and I'm sure vocal-GAF will continue, but I did want to at least VOICE my eye rolling irritation, before a new page of endless YouTube links are posted.

It seems like you're more irritated with the discussion than anything else.

But you really shouldn't come for people's right, or ability, to discuss a performer's vocal ability. If anything in this thread is "hoity toity" it's that.

Singers are gonna sing. People are gonna judge it. That's just how it is.

I mean, "proper positioning"? How does one ascertain and then judge this out of a YouTube video? It's just so weird. I know enough about singing to know that, generally speaking, the more open your instrument, the more you're able to sing whatever you can think. When people talk about placement, are they acting like these professional singers don't have their sound fully in their mask? And they can judge how one person does off a YouTube video versus another and this Faith Hill is a better singer than Shania Twain?

Because we have ears, and certain obvious things (like a swallowed tonal quality, strained/throaty belting, etc.) are demonstrative of poor technique.

Beyond that, I have no idea what you're talking about. Have you ever criticized a video game before? Because if so, I certainly hope you have an advanced computer science degree and have produced at least three games rated 85+ on Metacritic. Otherwise your opinion was invalid.

Qazaq

Banned
Fair enough, I'll give you that, but I do think that if there's going to be a scholarly, analytical tone to vocal-GAF, it would be nice to, I dunno, show us what you know.

Using YouTube videos to make scholarly, analytical distinctions on who is a "better" singer as if one were that artist's personal vocal coach just seems strikingly less self aware than pop-GAF tends to so refreshingly be.

Beyond that, I have no idea what you're talking about. Have you ever criticized a video game before? Because if so, I certainly hope you have an advanced computer science degree and have produced at least three games rated 85+ on Metacritic. Otherwise your opinion was invalid.

Game design is for the player.

To go with your analogy, this would be like NeoGAF analyzing the quality of CODING in the video games.

And yes, that would indeed be weird, especially if the people doing it.... had no knowledge of coding...

royalan

Fair enough, I'll give you that, but I do think that if there's going to be a scholarly, analytical tone to vocal-GAF, it would be nice to, I dunno, show us what you know.

Using YouTube videos to make scholarly, analytical distinctions on who is a "better" singer as if one were that artist's personal vocal coach just seems strikingly less self aware than pop-GAF tends to so refreshingly be.

Exactly what do you mean by "show us what you know"? I think that's demonstrated in the very fact that people are posting about the quality of a performer's vocals at length.

Qazaq

Banned
It would be like a bunch of random people who have never taken an acting class judging an actor's performance based on the "acting technique" they said they used in an interview, and comparing it against other performances based on what acting technique a different actor said they used.

You could absolutely in theory do this, but the ensuing discussion would probably be so incredibly off the mark because the entire foundation of the conversation is faulty.

That's my best analogy.

Touchdown

Banned
I do think that if there's going to be a scholarly, analytical tone to vocal-GAF, it would be nice to, I dunno, show us what you know.

to make scholarly, analytical distinctions on who is a "better" singer as if one were that artist's personal vocal coach just seems strikingly less self aware than pop-GAF tends to so refreshingly be.

I think you are just not realizing that Mumei has a scholoarly, analytical tone to many discussions though not just vocal ability. That's just his style. And if that bothers people then they can come talk to me cuz I usually come off writing my thoughts out as if I had a Beyonce-like education.

ibbtFOnzWgQ3EU.gif

It would be like a bunch of random people who have never taken an acting class judging an actor's performance based on the "acting technique" they said they used in an interview, and comparing it against other performances based on what acting technique a different actor said they used.

You could absolutely in theory do this, but the ensuing discussion would probably be so incredibly off the mark because the entire foundation of the conversation is faulty.

That's my best analogy.
That's because so much of what constitutes "good" acting is entirely subjective. A person's voice is an instrument, and there are a host of objective factors that go into "good" singing.

Anyway, given the fascinating penchant for repetitive, pedantic argumentation you've been prone to exhibit lately (won't someone think of the ants!), I think it's high time to drop this discussion (at least on my end).

wLTZQ.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom