• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAFPOP |OT8| Don't Forget the self-clockiesT of 'em all_

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Has Brooke Candy's new single been posted??

Brooke Candy - Feel Yourself (Alcohol)

ibxRr0sWJ6vlaV.gif

WaiT this is fantastic
men-twerk-nsmbl-12.gif

Details about Lana are pretty scarce, but I'm sure in the run up to the album I will be a bundle of excited mess

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Details about Lana are pretty scarce, but I'm sure in the run up to the album I will be a bundle of excited mess

It's Lana. As long as she doesn't suddenly go techno or whatever, I'm good. I think....I think Born to Die is one of my top 5 records of all time.

OF ALL TIME

royalan

I think it's the first semi-popish album I've been stoked for in about 2 decades.

I know a lot of people who feel the same way.

TBH, I'm kinda glad that Born To Die didn't become SUPER popular. It gave a her a name and set her up perfectly to slay with her next era.

I feel like, if Lana plays her cards right, she has the potential to have an Adele-like career trajectory - i.e. her debut album doesn't sell much, but it performs well critically and puts her on the map with the GP (19). And then she comes back and slays utterly with her follow-up now that the public knows to check for her (21).

Of course, I doubt Lana will be doing 36+ million sold like Adele, but I think her next era is going to be MUCH bigger than her first, thanks to all the positive exposure she's gotten since she debuted.

WanderingWind

TBH, I'm kinda glad that Born To Die didn't become SUPER popular. It gave a her a name and set her up perfectly to slay with her next era.

I feel like, if Lana plays her cards right, she has the potential to have an Adele-like career trajectory - i.e. her debut album doesn't sell much, but it performs well critically and puts her on the map with the GP (19). And then she comes back and slays utterly with her follow-up now that the public knows to check for her (21).

Of course, I doubt Lana will be doing 36+ million sold like Adele, but I think her next era is going to be MUCH bigger than her first, thanks to all the positive exposure she's gotten since she debuted.

I like it too, because I'm hoping she was successful enough to continue to do her thing, yet not become so stupidly rich that she decided to go full Kanye on us. And Adele is pretty much the closest thing. Good analogy. You're smart.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
It's Lana. As long as she doesn't suddenly go techno or whatever, I'm good. I think....I think Born to Die is one of my top 5 records of all time.

OF ALL TIME

Truth be told I'd even be happy with a techno record. She probably has my favourite singing voice ever so I'd be happy with whatever she delivers as long as it is her singing it.

I feel like, if Lana plays her cards right, she has the potential to have an Adele-like career trajectory - i.e. her debut album doesn't sell much, but it performs well critically and puts her on the map with the GP (19). But then she comes back and slays utterly with her follow-up now that the public knows to check for her (21).

This is what I think as well. She's built up a really solid fan base from her first album and aside from the fake image/plastic surgery crap everything said about her is positive. There's tons of room for her to grow from here, especially in America where she didn't even register for most people until last year. All she needs is a great lead single and she'll explode

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I do hope we see some kind of musical or stylistic evolution though. The cool thing about building a basically fictitious persona for your music is that you can change it from era to era. I feel like the first incarnation of Lana Del Rey has been pushed as far as it can be with stuff like Born To Die, Ride, and Summertime Sadness. I want a new incarnation of Lana Del Rey that evokes slightly different sensibilities, while keeping the core of the persona intact.

Basically I want her to regenerate like in Doctor Who.

also my fave lyric from 2013 remains

Afterlife, I think I saw what happens next
It was just a glimpse of you
Like looking through a window or a shallow sea
Could you see me?

poetic and evocative tbh

ivOJxgcFmufuI.gif

Aguila

#ICONIC
I do hope we see some kind of musical or stylistic evolution though. The cool thing about building a basically fictitious persona for your music is that you can change it from era to era. I feel like the first incarnation of Lana Del Rey has been pushed as far as it can be with stuff like Born To Die, Ride, and Summertime Sadness. I want a new incarnation of Lana Del Rey that evokes slightly different sensibilities, while keeping the core of the persona intact.

tbh, I doubt she's going to stray far from the BTD sound. She's working with the same producers/writers.

Plus, we can already get a sense of the persona for Lana's next record through Black Beauty. She said herself that BB was the type of song that she would have created an album around. I don't know if she scrapped it because it leaked tho.

I paint my nails black,
I dye my hair a darker shade of brown
Cause you like your women Spanish, dark, strong and proud
I paint the sky black
You said if you could have your way
You'd make a night time of today
So it'd suit the mood of your song

Oh, what can I do?
Nothing, my sparrow blue
Oh, what can I do?
Life is beautiful but you don't have a clue
Sun and ocean blue
Their magnificence, it don't make sense to you

such beautiful lyrics
52b0f867.gif

WanderingWind

Truth be told I'd even be happy with a techno record. She probably has my favourite singing voice ever so I'd be happy with whatever she delivers as long as it is her singing it.

This is what I think as well. She's built up a really solid fan base from her first album and aside from the fake image/plastic surgery crap everything said about her is positive. There's tons of room for her to grow from here, especially in America where she didn't even register for most people until last year. All she needs is a great lead single and she'll explode

I dunno. If she dropped the depressed slice of Americana act, I would be very hesitant to give a shit. I know she's not the image she portrays, but goddamn, let me pretend. Let me imagine that she's by a poolside trailing her red polished nails in the water while writing sad sonnets for loves long gone.

Fuck happiness. Give me more sadness.

tbh, I doubt she's going to stray far from the BTD sound. She's working with the same producers/writers.

Plus, we can already get a sense of the persona for Lana record through Black Beauty. She said herself that BB was the type of song that she would have created an album around. I don't know if she scrapped it because it leaked tho.

I paint my nails black,
I dye my hair a darker shade of brown
Cause you like your women Spanish, dark, strong and proud
I paint the sky black
You said if you could have your way
You'd make a night time of today
So it'd suit the mood of your song

Oh, what can I do?
Nothing, my sparrow blue
Oh, what can I do?
Life is beautiful but you don't have a clue
Sun and ocean blue
Their magnificence, it don't make sense to you

I never heard of this before, but this is what I am talking about

Matt_

She's such a queen, she has 8 UK #1's, has 25 top 5 hits and 33 top 10 songs.
Its just fucking crazy
edit; Kylie that is

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
She's got to keep that melancholic edge, yeah. That's why I think dark disco would be so good.

I can even see the album cover in my head

ULTRAVIOLENCE

white on black

printed grainy photo of her in some dingy bar

channeling some serious 70s iggy pop realness

album full of sickening dark disco beats and melancholic lyrics

put my cheque in the post lana

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
She's got to keep that melancholic edge, yeah. That's why I think dark disco would be so good.

I can even see the album cover in my head

ULTRAVIOLENCE

white on black

printed grainy photo of her in some dingy bar

channeling some serious 70s iggy pop realness

album full of sickening dark disco beats and melancholic lyrics

put my cheque in the post lana

but

Italians Do It Better already exists, and with Farah and Glass Candy albums both coming this year, they would PUNCH Lana Dull Rey out of the game before she ever had a chance.

Bladenic

Simon will never drop her. She can flop from here to eternity, but he's always been very open about the fact that Leona was the act who gave X-Factor its legitimacy, and he's 100% right. He's indebted to her.

Not like Christmas With Love was a failure, though. "One More Sleep" gave Leona her first hit in the UK since 2009, and CWL far exceeded her label's expectations. It eclipsed Glassheart's entire sales to date in two weeks, and probably cost a lot less to produce.

Oh I thought CWL flopped. That's good for her then. Glassheart deserved better.

Also Roy I will totally follow your tumblr if you keep it active during Shameless. Only a week left ;_;.

SaintZ

Wait, the new Brooke Candy track slays. It sounds a lot more polished than her previous stuff. Slay a bit Brooke.

i5Xqlnmic6EXQ.gif

Also while I love Lana and all, I didn't love Black Beauty. Maybe because it was a demo but I just wasn't feeling it tbh. Angels Forever was better IMO.

but

Italians Do It Better already exists, and with Farah and Glass Candy albums both coming this year, they would PUNCH Lana Dull Rey out of the game before she ever had a chance.

Umm no.... I like Glass Candy but they aren't punching anybody out the game especially Ultraslayence.

I'm so hype for Lana that I can't really talk about it. I don't even want to analyze where she is going. She is limitless to me and her style as well as her voice. It like transcendent, reaching and succeeding in everything it touches. She fits everywhere so whatever era it is, I know for a fact I'm going to love it. A million remixes of her songs have proved that statement. I just heard the "All For You" remix with Wiz and French Montana and all I know was it slayed. I don't even like rap all too much but just her in there made the song. She's amazing. She's God. The real Dalailana.

royalan

Shit, how many Lana tracks have I missed???

Have you only listened to her official albums? Because she has a shit ton of leaked and demo material, and a LOT of it is surprisingly good.

Someone compiled a lot of it into a mixtape that you can download here:

(It's a fanmade mixtape, but as far as I know Lana's never contested its release and it's all demo/leaked/unfinished/remix material, so I don't think it breaks the TOS to link to.)

She's a ton more music floating around out there (seriously, the girl must LIVE in the studio), but Aguila and Saintz would be more able to show you the way. Definitely worth checking out though, a lot of Lana's unreleased stuff ranks up there with her best material...to me, anyway.

WanderingWind

Have you only listened to her official albums? Because she has a shit ton of leaked and demo material, and a LOT of it is surprisingly good.

Someone compiled a lot of it into a mixtape that you can download here:

(It's a fanmade mixtape, but as far as I know Lana's never contested its release and it's all demo/leaked/unfinished/remix material, so I don't think it breaks the TOS to link to.)

She's a ton more music floating around out there (seriously, the girl must LIVE in the studio), but Aguila and Saintz would be more able to show you the way. Definitely worth checking out though, a lot of Lana's unreleased stuff ranks up there with her best material...to me, anyway.

Holy shit, I could kiss you. I had no idea. I am downloading this with the fury of a thousand Mariah fans who just realized it's been over.

EDIT: YO. Television Heaven. Holy jebus

Aguila

#ICONIC
Shit, how many Lana tracks have I missed???

These are my recent faves that leaked along with Black Beauty:

Angels Forever
Hollywood
Starry Eyed
JFK

Umm no.... I like Glass Candy but they aren't punching anybody out the game especially Ultraslayence.

I'm so hype for Lana that I can't really talk about it. I don't even want to analyze where she is going. She is limitless to me and her style as well as her voice. It like transcendent, reaching and succeeding in everything it touches. She fits everywhere so whatever era it is, I know for a fact I'm going to love it. A million remixes of her songs have proved that statement. I just heard the "All For You" remix with Wiz and French Montana and all I know was it slayed. I don't even like rap all too much but just her in there made the song. She's amazing. She's God. The real Dalailana.

iLxKYLwBjt6QA.gif

royalan

Going through Lana's demos, I just realized that Lana's done the Dark Disco thing Godel was talking about before:

Playing Dangerous

One of my favorite Lana demos. I would love an entire album of this sound.

Aguila

#ICONIC
And listening to them. But these are the tracks that were cut? Man, the final album is going to be amazing

EDIT: And yeah, she transcends barriers and shit. I don't normally listen to non-rap, but Lana is a goddess.

They leaked because somebody hacked her producer's website. Black Beauty was for sure for the next album, but I'm not sure about the others.

royalan

I still don't get how you guys don't love Gangsta Boy. It's my favorite "fun" Lana song.

You're my gangsta boy
You're my gangsta boy, cuz
You're my favorite toy
You're my favorite toy
Ooh!

fsEJ18X.gif

SaintZ

My favorite fun song from ha is Queen of Disaster

Got me spinning like a ballerina,
Feeling gangsta every time I see ya,
You're the king and, baby, I'm the queen of
Disaster, disaster.

lana_del_rey_-_spin.gif

That or Paris because every time I hear it, I can totally picture me over there by the eiffel tower *.* It's just so cute.

royalan

And I remember when I met him, it was so clear that
he was the only one for me.
We both knew it, right away.
And as the years went on, things got more difficult --
we were faced with more challenges.
I begged him to stay. Try to remember what
we had at the beginning. He was charismatic, magnetic,
electric and everybody knew it. When he walked in
every woman's head turned, everyone stood up
to talk to him. He was like this hybrid, this mix of
a man who couldn't contain himself.
I always got the sense that he became torn
between being a good person and
missing out on all of the opportunities that life could
offer a man as magnificent as him.
And in that way I understood him
and I loved him.
I loved him, I loved him, I loved him.
And I still love him.
I love him.

iBpwzFIcPkjbz.gif

O.

Well, Rihanna's attractive. But I wouldn't personally put her on a "sexiest women alive" list or anything.

I agrih. She's has this cool look to her. And she can practically wear everything. She's truly beautiful but I don't see the sexy. Her assets aren't anything bad to me. Maybe her attitude but I mean, she is tainted. There's nothing sexy about that. She's not pure so Idk. I find fierce bitches to be sexy like Lana.. Idc she is a masterpiece. She is sexy to me and I'm not even into girls. I mean come on.

tumblr_mmks3qtuFV1qfw39go1_250.gif

She's so perfect. Her facial structure is amazing.

Yado

I agrih. She's has this cool look to her. And she can practically wear everything. She's truly beautiful but I don't see the sexy. Her assets aren't anything bad to me. Maybe her attitude but I mean, she is tainted. There's nothing sexy about that. She's not pure so Idk. I find fierce bitches to be sexy like Lana.. Idc she is a masterpiece. She is sexy to me and I'm not even into girls. I mean come on.

tumblr_mmks3qtuFV1qfw39go1_250.gif

She's so perfect. Her facial structure is amazing.

irKCjH6GQhiSp.gif

Tainted?? Pure??
What are you talking about?

Yado

This and a whole other list of Basketball, Football, Rapper, Male Singer..... Rihanna has been passed around. This isn't a secret lol.

A woman's worth isn't in her vagina, it really doesn't matter who or how many men she fucked. Are any of the men you fawn over pure as the driven snow? is Lana?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom