• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAFPOP |OT8| Don't Forget the self-clockiesT of 'em all_

Status
Not open for further replies.

jorgeton

I agree with Pitchfork's score, but not the text itself.

I don't understand what's so daring and "left-field" about Beyonce. The album is comprised of what is actually pretty standard Hip-Hop/R&B right now.

I agree with Leona that "Haunted" is really the only song on the entire album that you can't really trace directly to another song and/or trend headlined by other artists.

And the fact that Ciara is even mentioned in the review at all makes me question if this reviewer even listens to Urban music.

Beyonce's no Solange or Kanye or Janelle - artists who live on the edge of Hip-Hop/R&B despite being somewhat mainstream themselves.

I'm not a huge pop fan (I enjoy a good single now and again) but this album has just connected with me in a big way. Production wise, it sounds great. Clean, modern and elegant. It doesn't sound like chintzy radio-made pop like a lot of other mainstream artists. It just sounds really good. I love the use of buzzy synths all over the album (Yonce, No Angel, etc).

I think the most daring or revolutionary part of it is how liberating the whole album is as a whole. It's pretty much about owning yourself & sexuality and embracing who you are. I know this is not a new concept for a pop album, but it just caught me off guard how well done and thought-through it comes across.

And this album just gets better and better on repeat plays. I initially disliked Pretty Hurts but it has grown on me in a big way. Same for Mine and Rocket.

Again, I don't really listen to modern R&B or pop albums, so this is all coming from a different POV than someone who does. This album has given me LIFE.

And it's a great two-piece with Burial's Rival Dealer, which is similar in content and tone surprisingly enough!

Why hasn't Christina released and promo'd the shit out of "Let There Be Love"?

It would SLAY the charts.

Is it too late?

Is the "Lotus" era over?

Foxes - Let Go For Tonight

I like the song. The video gives me Cameo Lover teas.
OMG. I am slayed! This girl is just so damn good. Okay, so Let Go For Tonight was on her EP Warrior, but it was a live version. I kind of liked it. I didn't even know that she was going to re-do it for her album, but I fricken love this version. The video is colorful and fun, and I just love it. <3 Thanks for posting.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Why hasn't Christina released and promo'd the shit out of "Let There Be Love"?

It would SLAY the charts.

Is it too late?

Is the "Lotus" era over?

For an era to be over there needs to be a beginning...

RuPaul's Don't Be Jealous of My Boogie stuck on my head. >.>

Yado

The Lotus era ended the second she started recording it.

iSbanusCB1Zgq.gif

Drag it.

I agree with Pitchfork's score, but not the text itself.

I don't understand what's so daring and "left-field" about Beyonce. The album is comprised of what is actually pretty standard Hip-Hop/R&B right now.

I agree with Leona that "Haunted" is really the only song on the entire album that you can't really trace directly to another song and/or trend headlined by other artists.

And the fact that Ciara is even mentioned in the review at all makes me question if this reviewer even listens to Urban music.

Beyonce's no Solange or Kanye or Janelle - artists who live on the edge of Hip-Hop/R&B despite being somewhat mainstream themselves.

Honestly, with the exception of 4, all of Beyonce's albums went on to become the new bar for how contemporary R&B should sound, and you can even stretch that to include pop in general. Dangerously in Love standardized the Caribbean/Middle Eastern dance sound in pop radio (though you can also attribute that partly to Missy Elliot and a few other contemporaries). B'Day established runway-stomping female empowerment as a unique style of hip-hop (which you can argue was used a great deal by Ciara, Pussycat Dolls and the like), and Sasha Fierce brought in a new wave of minimalist productions and repetitive hooks, not to mention the big soaring power ballad (which of course had been around before Halo came out, but you can't deny that the number of Halo-related anthem releases went up exponentially after 2008).

You can of course argue that she hasn't commanded the genre in a cutting edge way, nor has she created new avenues for the genre. BUT, you can of course argue that almost all of Beyonce's releases became the new barometer through which we judge contemporary R&B albums at the time, and in many cases garnered so much attention that they became the new trend-setters for other artists to follow.

The musical styles in BEYONCE have been done in the past two years by artists like Kanye, JT, Frank Ocean, Miguel and Janelle Monae. But I can tell that even though she wasn't first to usher in this new "stream of consciousness" kind of R&B sound, she'll become the new mascot for that sound only because she leaves a bigger impression with it. And I can all but guarantee that this new "visual album" formula will become a new trend with upcoming album releases. Watch.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Why would anyone take time out of their life to hurl abuse at doctor luke of all people

I'm ready for Rihanna to slay me on that duet. Almost anything Rihanna touches is gold, so I can't wait to hear it.

Lady Gaga needs to pay Rihanna to get on her next album, especially if this Sharkia song does well. I need Telephone part 2.

Partition

Banned
oop I got some Gaga tea just now

- The video was scrapped. Gaga was upset she only had one week to plan it (like with Applause) and decided that she no longer liked it. It's going to be reshot and use her "original plan" whatever that means. Still will have R Kelly, Terry still directing

- Video probably won't be coming any time soon because of that.

- The (original) video was actually completely finished a month and a half ago.

- The DWUW era is over, to her at least. The 3rd single will premiere at the Grammys.

- The third single is either Gypsy, Dope, or Venus, with her leaning towards Venus and her label wanting Gypsy or Dope.

- Act II is still coming this year, will have a lot of Madeon.

- Gaga has recorded vocals for "other projects", I think he was hinting towards collabs

- The video was scrapped. Gaga was upset she only had one week to plan it (like with Applause) and decided that she no longer liked it. It's going to be reshot and use her "original plan" whatever that means. Still will have R Kelly, Terry still directing

- The DWUW era is over, to her at least. The 3rd single will premiere at the Grammys.

- The third single is either Gypsy, Dope, or Venus, with her leaning towards Venus and her label wanting Gypsy or Dope.

- Gaga has recorded vocals for "other projects", I think he was hinting towards collabs

justice for #Gypsy

save artpop gags, release gypsy

Dope? Nope.

Gypsy or Venus. I want Venus more just for the music video / remixes that would come from it.

Trigger

1) Dope is still awful. She better not make it a single. Gypsy is a better choice overall. I don't think Venus will do well on radio.

2) Yes pls. I know it's probably not a good thing to release a part 2, but I love me some new Gaga.

I'm fine with Venus or Gypsy. They're the two best songs on the album and would probably both be in my top 5 across all of her songs.

I feel like Gypsy would do better on radio but you can't deny that a Venus music video would be fierce. Then again a Gypsy video could be very unexpected. I'm glad she's resetting though. DWUW should have never happened. Venus would have taken the momentum from Applause and slayed the universe. Imagine her emerging at the AMAs in a giant shell, surrounded by alien Aphrodites and commanding Pluto to serve. GAY MAGIC

Styles

Sexxx Dreams is the most radio friendly song on the album

iObZHqWarVvo3.gif

Have you heard the clean version tho?

iWK1jdaYzlNYl.gif

It could be viable as a single if she re-records the chorus and replace "sex" with "X".

[edit] G.U.Y is a smash waiting to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom