• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAFPOP |OT8| Don't Forget the self-clockiesT of 'em all_

Status
Not open for further replies.
she needs to get away from the monsters. they are NOT HEALTHY for her. she needs to get out there with somebody who can actually help her, who isn't just going to tell her that whatever she does is SO BRILLIANT YAAAAS GAGA YOU'RE THE QUEEN THE GREATEST ARTIST EVER and who can actually develop whatever ideas she has into workable, real shit.

Couldn't this be said the same for a lot of artists and their fanbases?

Ties

Banned
so now her excuse is that she hasn't had enough time to get ARTPOP ready?

okay that's fair i guess you've only been teasing the project for two damn years.

she needs to get away from the monsters. they are NOT HEALTHY for her. she needs to get out there with somebody who can actually help her, who isn't just going to tell her that whatever she does is SO BRILLIANT YAAAAS GAGA YOU'RE THE QUEEN THE GREATEST ARTIST EVER and who can actually develop whatever ideas she has into workable, real shit.

or she needs to stop pretending that 'lady gaga' is anything more than just a pseudo-intellectual katy perry.
yes purge the gays

so now her excuse is that she hasn't had enough time to get ARTPOP ready?

okay that's fair i guess you've only been teasing the project for two damn years.

or she needs to stop pretending that 'lady gaga' is anything more than just a pseudo-intellectual katy perry.

Lordt.

XQwWMcM.gif

Yado

Mau ®;96011659 said:
She always seems to have someone to blame (her "betrayers" or whatever) whenever things don't go swimmingly.

It's always these "dark forces" working against her. I need a statement from Troy spilling what really happened.

xaosslug

Mau ®;96011659 said:
She always seems to have someone to blame (her "betrayers" or whatever) whenever things don't go swimmingly.

tbh? I believe it. The industry is shady as fuck and if you don't fall in line peeps will not hesitate to flip the script on you. IMO, she had it good and was the 'new favorite' but she didn't want to play ball anymore, and they showed her what happens when you don't play the game...

QUEEN

PPSqwUU.png

not it going number 1 65 weeks after release, it's like 21 but with a good album

also, the video for Goodness Gracious is out, get your life

i think you mean it's like 21 but on a local scale...

Each day
I feel so blessed to be lookin' at you
'Cause when you open your eyes
I feel alive
My heart
Beats so damn quick when you say my name
When I'm holdin' you tight
I'm so alive

So now let's just live it up
We can last forever
Come on baby won't you hold onto me
Hold onto me
You and I together
Come on baby won't you hold onto me
Hold onto me

LH1fGG1.gif

gags on why DWUW is late:

I hope she's okay. All the stuff she's been saying just seems odd

This era really seems like a transitional phase for her, and I'm really fascinated by her mindset because I think she holds a lot of bitterness toward the industry after trying to follow the conventional methods with ARTPOP's promo strategy. Suffice to say she seems to be headed toward that mentality of "fuck the industry, I can make my own rules" faster than anyone's done in their respective careers, and it'll be really interesting to see where she goes with it. She's endlessly smart and understands public perception better than anyone else in pop music and I think she sees now that playing the same game as other contemporaries is a losing game because she's not cut out for it. She's a naturally divisive artist and she needs to just be content with that. Just do what you love and don't feel slighted by industry execs, you'll be all the better for it. <3

royalan

Frankly, I don't think that Gaga is the type of artist that can rest on her laurels and take her time. For some artists, having boundless creative freedom and a "fuck y'all, I'm doing for me" attitude can lead to great eras. Off the top of my head, Madonna, Prince, Kanye West and Rihanna are a few artists that can naturally put out great stuff when they follow their own instincts and work on their own time. For some artists, that kind of freedom can actually work against them, and lead to some really shitty product. Gaga strikes me as that kind of artist.

Which is fine, some people need that kind of pressure. I'll even admit that my own fave, The Legend Christina Maria Aguilera, does her best work when she's in a position of having something to prove. Stripped was born of an intense desire to prove that she wasn't just another pretty/blonde/brainless pop singer. Back To Basics came from the need to prove that she could be a creative artist.

Gaga made her best music, and had her most technically flawless eras (we're not just talking songs, but the presentation) at the start of her career...which a lot of people forget actually began on the back of being dropped from Def Jam. Gaga learned a very hard lesson at the very start of her career, which definitely gave her noticeable drive and focused her creative energy. If there was an ever an artist that needed to prove their mettle, it was Lady Gaga.

Around Born This Way, she foolishly allowed herself to believe that she had made it to a "point of no return" level of superstardom, and...well, we see what happened. You can argue that the music was still good (BTW is putrid garbage, but ARTPOP is serviceable), but there's no denying that the wheels had started falling off the wagon as far as everything else about those eras is concerned.

I'm happy that Ellie is slaying. :)

I was thinking a lot about what Gaga had said today, and I have mixed feelings about it. On one hand I think she's having a meltdown and is about to go completely nuts. Then, on the other hand, I like that she is airing out the dirty laundry. I'm actually glad she actually gives this much of a fu*k. She apologized for the way that the ARTPOP era has been so far, and that takes guts. I don't see Britney coming out and apologizing for her recent flop album. Gaga may be too close to her fans, but at least she cares about us. That's more than I could say about Britney lately, who last year pretty much ignored a crowd of her die hard fans in the desert because she was "sick" from a helicopter ride. I don't know if it's too late for ARTPOP or not, but I can't blame Gaga for wanting to try to revive it. It shows that she cares about the music that she has created, and I have to appreciate that. ARTPOP may be a disappointment, but it's not a bad album. I think it has some songs that could be good singles. I have a feeling, though, that no matter what she does this era the GP isn't going to be here for her. Regardless, it'll be quite interesting to see how these next few months go.

I think the only way Gaga could still be relevant this era is if the DWUW video creates so much controversy that people are almost forced to care about her again. I love ARTPOP and think it's great, and it's a shame there have been so many fuck ups along the way.

I think the only way Gaga could still be relevant this era is if the DWUW video creates so much controversy that people are almost forced to care about her again. I love ARTPOP and think it's great, and it's a shame there have been so many fuck ups along the way.

Well apparently the video was "about her struggles in the industry" or something, so it probably will have some kind of *controversial* scene in it.

It was cheap. Tacky cheap. Not cheap done right.

Just watching it, you can see it was thrown together in a few days. And see the fumes radiating off Gaga because of her alleged spat with Joseph Kahn. Seriously, she's singing a largely euphoric europop bop. And she looks into the camera like she's ready to throttle someone. It just didn't work in any capacity.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak

Sophie Ellis-Bextor interview: 'I don't thrust myself in people's faces like Lady Gaga'

"I’m not very good at playing the kinds of games to keep myself in the public eye,” she shrugs. “I wouldn’t want to thrust myself in people’s faces like Lady Gaga. I loved her theatricality initially, but four years on, it looks exhausting and she looks exhausted. You know, she’s clomping around in heelless shoes and a meat dress, then Adele comes along and sells billions of records without doing any of that stuff. I just think the only thing you can do is find your own niche and do what works for you. It’s hard enough just keeping your sense of self and remaining on the level. I just want to be able to get up in the morning and know that I’m happy with what I’m doing and be able to face myself in the mirror".
Source
Go in Sophie Ellis-Bextor!!!

Not a single damn lie.

Also sis, what did you think of CAPS LOCK? I'm finding more and more appreciation for 12345678 with each listen tbh.

HOME and RETURN are my faves. They're just such relaxing bops.

But I like the whole album. Except 12345678. I can't enjoy that damn horn no matter how hard I try.

HOME and RETURN are my faves. They're just such relaxing bops.

But I like the whole album. Except 12345678. I can't enjoy that damn horn no matter how hard I try.

CONTROL has to be my favorite. And as for 12345678, I skip right up until the beat drops in and the horn isn't an issue anymore. No clue what the fuck he was thinking putting that in there. (Trust me to choose some of the only tracks with Toshiko's vocals in there.)

cory64

FOR THE FIRST TIME IN FOREVVVERRR
Don't let them in, don't let them see
I'M GETTING WHAT I'M DREAMING OF
Be the good girl you always have to be
A CHANCE TO CHANGE MY LONELY WORLD
Conceal
A CHANCE TO FIND TRUE LOVE
Conceal, don't feel
Don't let them know

I KNOW IT ALL ENDS TOMORROW
SO IT HAS TO BE TODAY
CAUSE FOR THE FIRST TIME IN FOREVVVERRRRRR
FOR THE FIRST TIME IN FORRRREEEVVVVEERRRRRR
NOTHING'S IN MYYYYYY WAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYY

ibtRj1jNpP1pzD.gif

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
kylie minogue &#8207;@kylieminogue 5m
#Lovers yes it's true I was on set shooting the video for my first single!!! http://instagram.com/p/i0wB64gf34/
PTNEeDW.png

The queen is coming.

That confession from Gaga seems quite worrying. It definitely seems like she hasn't been in a very good place for the last 6/9 months and that certain relationships she's had with people for a long time (I'm assuming at least one of them was her manager) has broken down and obviously affected her quite a lot. What she does next will be interesting if she's truly purged those that she thinks were against her and thinks she can be free. Next era will show a lot with her writing too I think
edit; it's clear shes still aware of what needs to be done though. She clearly called out her haus and made a point to exclude her label from any criticism

Indeed.

And not coincidentally, it's also in the running for her worst video. Self-indulgent trash.

I'd seriously rather watch the fiasco that is The Edge of Glory video than watch Marry the Night's again.
I can never go back to watching The Edge of Glory video. It just sucked so much. With the Marry The Night video, I liked it a lot more when I didn't watch the horribly long intro. Gaga by the burning vehicles was so iconic. There was literally nothing redeeming about The Edge of Glory video, and after a few times I couldn't even stomach sitting through that filth. I don't know why she just didn't go with Joseph Kahn's idea, since it sounded awesome. Oh well.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Sophie Ellis-Bextor -Birth of an Empire (LINK REMOVED)
Im so using this. When will Gaga have 4 (soon 5) flawfree albums like Sophie?
tumblr_mbfjw2N6Py1rznwt1o1_500.gif

Never
tumblr_l6dqdqfLmB1qbdajjo1_250.gif

royalan

I agree with Pitchfork's score, but not the text itself.

I don't understand what's so daring and "left-field" about Beyonce. The album is comprised of what is actually pretty standard Hip-Hop/R&B right now.

I agree with Leona that "Haunted" is really the only song on the entire album that you can't really trace directly to another song and/or trend headlined by other artists.

And the fact that Ciara is even mentioned in the review at all makes me question if this reviewer even listens to Urban music.

Beyonce's no Solange or Kanye or Janelle - artists who live on the edge of Hip-Hop/R&B despite being somewhat mainstream themselves.

FOR THE FIRST TIME IN FOREVVVERRR
Don't let them in, don't let them see
I'M GETTING WHAT I'M DREAMING OF
Be the good girl you always have to be
A CHANCE TO CHANGE MY LONELY WORLD
Conceal
A CHANCE TO FIND TRUE LOVE
Conceal, don't feel
Don't let them know

I KNOW IT ALL ENDS TOMORROW
SO IT HAS TO BE TODAY
CAUSE FOR THE FIRST TIME IN FOREVVVERRRRRR
FOR THE FIRST TIME IN FORRRREEEVVVVEERRRRRR
NOTHING'S IN MYYYYYY WAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYY

ibtRj1jNpP1pzD.gif

DO YOU WANNA BUILD A SNOWMAN, CORY?

I agree with Pitchfork's score, but not the text itself.

I don't understand what's so daring and "left-field" about Beyonce. The album is comprised of what is actually pretty standard Hip-Hop/R&B right now.

I agree with Leona that "Haunted" is really the only song on the entire album that you can't really trace directly to another song and/or trend headlined by other artists.

And the fact that Ciara is even mentioned in the review at all makes me question if this reviewer even listens to Urban music.

Beyonce's no Solange or Kanye or Janelle - artists who live on the edge of Hip-Hop/R&B despite being somewhat mainstream themselves.
Yay, you were able to relate the point that my (in hindsight, slightly oversimplified) track-by-track comparison with Unapologetic was trying to convey.

Beyonce is a great album, delivering its overall vision with a rare aplomb and stuffed to the gills with clever lyrics, production that was worth how expensive it sounds, and a finger firmly on the pulse of what's hot now. It's current where 4 was retro, but I don't think Beyonce has it in her to deliver a truly forward-thinking work on the level of, say, Kanye or prime Outkast. Beyonce doesn't set trends - she follows trends (or just steals them).

(I'd personally argue, though, that "Single Ladies" and not "Haunted" is sonically her boldest and freshest work to date.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom