• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAFPOP |OT8| Don't Forget the self-clockiesT of 'em all_

Status
Not open for further replies.

DMeisterJ

Banned
My favorite song by Mariah Carey is OBSESSED. It seems like that's the favorite song of some of the posters on this page too. Obsessed with Rihanna and obsessed with me. The impact of Rihanna, and the sadness of the obsessed people.

Majmun

Dead! I guess her impact wasn't that strong.

However I think I'm finally over Rihanna in the sense I have nothing bad to say about her. PopGAF taught me that's she's a an amazing Tax write off for the Carters and why should I be mad at that? The more she sell, the more the Queen gets in free studio time so I guess its a good thing. At this point, there really shouldn't be a Bey vs Rih. They are on the same team.

You get it

Get those #1's Rih
i6wFCVWQ1FEJy.gif

DMeisterJ

Banned
A mess that the Hive is only talking about Rihanna after the "queen of pop" just performed at the Grammys. The self shade is just hilarious. Didn't even show up and is still the topic of conversation, while Bey, her performance is already largely forgotten.

Also doubly hilarious that Rihanna last year performed and got her song to #1 while DiL is languishing in the top 20. Sad mess.

A mess that the Hive is only talking about Rihanna after the "queen of pop" just performed at the Grammys. The self shade is just hilarious. Didn't even show up and is still the topic of conversation, while Bey, her performance is already largely forgotten.

Also doubly hilarious that Rihanna last year performed and got her song to #1 while DiL is languishing in the top 20. Sad mess.

Bye at your galactic reach of shade. Your fav makes money for my fav and that will be forever her position so swerve with all this mess. Lol! Bey doesn't need a top ten to stay relevant. She didn't need to appear at the Grammys or even open to stay relevant. She doesn't need to come out with an album every year to be relevant because she has someone else to do that for her. Just remember to look at the family tree when your done. Blue Ivy will be taking those receipts.

Edit: Also Beysus already spilt the tea on how Bey performance was highly regarded every where. Mother can stay pressed blaming Bey for keeping their kids up watching the Grammys when they should be focusing on school in the morning. Seethe.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Bye at your galactic reach of shade. Your fav makes money for my fav and that will be forever her position so swerve with all this mess. Lol! Bey doesn't need a top ten to stay relevant. She didn't need to appear at the Grammys or even open to stay relevant. She doesn't need to come out with an album every year to be relevant because she has someone else to do that for her. Just remember to look at the family tree when your done. Blue Ivy will be taking those receipts.

Rihanna hasn't released an album in 15 months and wasn't at the Grammys yesterday or performing, and people still would rather talk about here and on Twitter than Beyoncé during her performance. The self shade! lol!

Rihanna hasn't released an album in 15 months and wasn't at the Grammys yesterday or performing, and people still would rather talk about here and on Twitter than Beyoncé during her performance. The self shade! lol!

How hard is this... She was nominated. That's why she was talked about just like the winners. Funny because she quickly fell off right after Bey performed and went to oblivion right after Lorde did her voodoo dance but keep trying again with an OLD E! trend sheet.

DMeisterJ

Banned
How hard is this... She was nominated. That's why she was talked about just like the winners. Funny because she quickly fell off right after Bey performed and went to oblivion right after Lorde did her voodoo dance but keep trying again with an OLD E! trend sheet.

So someone who was just nominated was worth talking about more than someone who was performing and the "queen?"

lol the lack of Bernard, his impact.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
The Brits do generally shit on the lesser awards shows wrt performances tho, so you should all be perchedT

[edit] According to this, they're performing F for You?

NpbXlk9.png

[edit2] Just noticed that the Arctic Monkeys are performing Do I Wanna Slay?, prepare your wigs

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Cute pic, good on her.

WTF is with Gaga's lame ass comments? She's turned from this untouchable pop juggernaut into an overly sensitive sooky weirdo. Over it.

And she spelled 'kindness' wrong.

Peru

Touchdown, stop. -_-

I'm on my lunch break, so I'll need to be brief.

It's your responsibility to know what you post -- just because you admit you don't know what you're doing doesn't give you an out to post stuff that stands for certain values and then claim no responsibility for what reposting that content as is will represent.

When someone tags my post 'delusion' of course I'll call that poster clueless. And I don't really dig your double standards, looking at the shots fired in this thread every day my innocent jabs are enough for you to put on your mod hat? My condescension is solely aimed at the quite frankly ugly lies that are allowed to be repeated time after time about women in popular culture without going checked - as your post in the grammy thread and countless other remarks on this forum prove. Of course in this thread it's followed by the oh so hilarious "if I want to call her a slut I'll call her a slut", so the standards are set, I guess.

And since you claim it does represent the songs you've heard, name me the songs, quote me the parts that go with each point on the chart, why they represent a sameness unique to that set of songs. I'm getting slightly tired of only having to deal with blanket statements and no actual arguments, examples, anything, even after spending paragraphs decrying that fact.

royalan

I don't recall seeing any actual slut-shaming in the Grammy thread...then again, I stopped following it shortly after the Taylor Swift thread.

Touchdown

Banned
It's your responsibility to know what you post -- just because you admit you don't know what you're doing doesn't give you an out to post stuff that stands for certain values and then claim no responsibility for what reposting that content as is will represent.

When someone tags my post 'delusion' of course I'll call that poster clueless. And I don't really dig your double standards, looking at the shots fired in this thread every day my innocent jabs are enough for you to put on your mod hat? My condescension is solely aimed at the quite frankly ugly lies that are allowed to be repeated time after time about women in popular culture without going checked - as your post in the grammy thread and countless other remarks on this forum prove. Of course in this thread it's followed by the oh so hilarious "if I want to call her a slut I'll call her a slut", so the standards are set, I guess.

And since you claim it does represent the songs you've heard, name me the songs, quote me the parts that go with each point on the chart, why they represent a sameness unique to that set of songs. I'm getting slightly tired of only having to deal with blanket statements and no actual arguments, examples, anything, even after spending paragraphs decrying that fact.

tumblr_m695pquFMt1rqfhi2o1_500.gif

I've always been under the impression that the slut-shaming PopGAF does in regards to Taylor Swift is ironic (not that that makes it any more acceptable) because of the contrast with her virginal public image.

royalan

I've always been under the impression that the slut-shaming PopGAF does in regards to Taylor Swift is ironic (not that that makes it any more acceptable) because of the contrast with her virginal public image.

SIS!!!!

Motherfuckas callin' my phone
1-800-BONE
Man ain't you know?
I can back it up like a tonka truck
So call my phone
1-800-BONE
Y'say you got that gun?
That AK-47
BANG BANG BANG

Just to add my two cents into this. Your kind of wrong about the slut shaming. I got banned for saying stuff about Rihanna which was pretty much slut shaming. But that was warranted. Just saying.. I think slut shaming is being used loosely to describe something that is just pretty much criticism.

Mumei

I did know what I posted. I posted a fake poster of "symbolic analysis" of Taylor Swift's work that makes use of exaggeration and generalizations in order to make a humorous point about the themes in her songs. As a critique of her songwriting, it is a criticism of the puerile approach she takes when approaching those subjects (love, relationships). This may be understandable - she was a teenager when she wrote many of her songs - but being a teenager hardly makes it less puerile. It just makes it understandably puerile.

In order for your argument to be correct, the poster needs to be criticizing her for singing about "love and relationship" while "writing the herself and basing it off experiences in her own life," despite the fact that, "John Mayer, Bruno Mars, Bruce Springsteen etc do the same" write about similar themes and do not receive similar criticisms. And I have said, if I agreed with this understanding of the poster, I would agree that the poster was sexist. But I don't agree with that, and you haven't given me any reason to.

And that paragraph is exactly what I was talking about when I described the rudeness and condescension. Stop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom