• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAFPOP |OT8| Don't Forget the self-clockiesT of 'em all_

Status
Not open for further replies.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Grammy ratings are down 10% from last year.

I guess when you start with a performance of Beyonce being nearly nude, and the lack of Rihanna, the GP didn't care to finish watching the show.

iheartrihannaslayingbm0ptg.gif

Majmun

Yeah, what's with all the partents getting pressed over Bey's performance.

Why do american always have to overreact when it comes to (semi-)nudity??

DMeisterJ

Banned
Yeah, what's with all the partents getting pressed over Bey's performance.

Why do american always have to overreact when it comes to (semi-)nudity??

It was 8:00 PM and Beyonce was wearing a very revealing outfit. Generally if you're going to be performing material that is sexually explicit in nature and you're going to look like that, you're put in the 10:00 hour when most kids are asleep. Even Rihanna always cleans up for the Grammys, and doesn't come on stage wearing something like that.

So Rihanna really didn't show up? I thought she just skipped the red carpet. Mess.

They never showed her in the crowd, so it looks like she didn't come.

6A7fl.jpg

Just a bunch of jealous cunts who wish their married lives were even a tenth as sexually (and otherwise) fulfilling as Bey and Jay's.

I love the Miley comparisons though. As if a wife grinding on her husband even approaches the creepy levels of an adolescent boy twerking on a sweaty, greasy middle-aged man whose wife was in the audience.

meh, let them #seethe

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
They sit her in the front row and she snubs them completely.
In ten years when we look back, I will see this a Rih's best moment

edit; what little kids want to watch the fucking grammys, they were four hours long for god sake

6A7fl.jpg

Just a bunch of jealous cunts who wish their married lives were even a tenth as sexually (and otherwise) fulfilling as Bey and Jay's.

I love the Miley comparisons though. As if a wife grinding on her husband even approaches the creepy levels of an adolescent boy twerking on a sweaty, greasy middle-aged man whose wife was in the audience.

meh, let them #seethe

This is why I'm glad Bey is doing what she wants. All of these parents are so concerned about Bey while their kids are listening to dirty rap albums, watching sexual Vine videos, being thirsty on twitter etc etc etc... Like the hypocritical of it all. And her outfit wasn't even that revealing. Sigh... But they can still seethe.

But LAWD

I just realized I asked one of the students I tutor, a 5th grader, to watch the Grammys since he couldn't think of an essay topic to write.

tumblr_mh9qbuj48s1rcrv8so1_400.gif

...on the upside, maybe I'll end up having been responsible for his exciting passage to adulthood.

:-3

Mau ®

I was at the gym discussing the VILE Grammy awards and my friend/instructor was like "I'm glad Daft Punk won. Win for music!" and I told him their new CD was shit and lifeless.

Dude got mad offended. LOL.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Is it me only or is GAF having technical difficulties since yesterday. Random errors since yesterday.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
They bought the rights? Why bother?

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Mau ®;98650813 said:
I was at the gym discussing the VILE Grammy awards and my friend/instructor was like "I'm glad Daft Punk won. Win for music!" and I told him their new CD was shit and lifeless.

Dude got mad offended. LOL.

smdh straight people have the worst taste in music

xaosslug

iEkBEQ1SykjSA.gif

I'm fairly certain Mumei was criticising the fact Taylor has sung about the same things in the same way for four albums

i find this criticism of Taylor Swift pretty funny, especially coming from Lambs... I mean Mariah is 40+ years old and not only still trying desperately (and remains failing) to be seen as a sex-symbol, but she pretty much sing/writes about the same thing over and over herself. Wanting a guy, seducing a guy, dumping a guy, getting over a guy, the uplifting 'believe in yo'self!' tune here or there, and then the covers...

iwg8aZfcMK9F3.gif

Matt_

i find this criticism of Taylor Swift pretty funny, especially coming from Lambs... I mean Mariah is 40+ years old and not only still trying desperately (and remains failing) to be seen as a sex-symbol, but she pretty much sing/writes about the same thing over and over herself. Wanting a guy, seducing a guy, dumping a guy, getting over a guy, the uplifting 'believe in yo'self!' tune here or there, and then the covers...

iwg8aZfcMK9F3.gif

Have I just been called a lamb?
iveBgxO8TW9Qh.gif

iwg8aZfcMK9F3.gif

Someone has not been listening to Mariah's material.
iwg8aZfcMK9F3.gif

Granted she might talk about the same topics but she evens it out.

We agree that the album shouldn't have won and if anything their past work should have.
But to see Taylor's team faces thinking red won made it worth it. Poor that.
tumblr_n01jfnKJtK1qjipi2o1_500.gif

xaosslug

something I don't get about Beyonce + Jay Z performances is why they always look so awkward/uncomfortable? Like, Bey never really touches or hangs all over Jay like he's HER MAN... so weird.

Majmun

something I don't get about Beyonce + Jay Z performances is why they always look so awkward/uncomfortable? Like, Bey never really touches or hangs all over Jay like he's HER MAN... so weird.

It's just for the show.

You don't see a queen cuddling her king all the time either. They just sit next to each other. Both as equal and intimidating powerhouses. Cuddling is for the weak.

Touchdown

Banned

iwg8aZfcMK9F3.gif

You're wrong on every count but anyway If I want to call Taylor Swift a slut then I will. Bye.

tumblr_mzny68CSaH1sba90go1_500.gif

Mumei

Touchdown, stop. -_-

The chart is sexist, if not slut-shaming, that's for sure. First off as a symbol of the sheer attention she's received for singing about love and relationship, topics making up 99% of pop songs by anyartist, just because she's writing the songs herself and basing it off experiences in her own life, something every singer songwriter does, but as the rare and unfamiliar (to mainstream, ignorant audiences) female songwriter superstar this is somehow all very new, nevermind whether John Mayer, Bruno Mars, Bruce Springsteen etc do the same. Or how someone who sings about tons of exes in a pretty skeevy and disturbing way, Drake, never gets any of this kind of attention.

Second problem is it's been circulated for years now with no basis in reality. The whole reason she got the 'fairytales and princesses' label on her is 'Love Story', a part of the broader narrative of Fearless of how those naive fantasies crash with reality, how they're not real life, and only in the 'stories' you make up can you force someone to 'just say yes', while "I'm not a princess, this ain't a fairy tale" stands as the conclusion. "Virginal motifs" are of course as non-existent as you'd expect from someone who sang about sexual experiences in her first album, released at the age of 16.

It's a part of the narrative entirely manufactured by writers who have not actually listened to the songs or read her lyrics, where, because of her looks and gender and certain genre signifiers it's ok to lieabout what she says and to enforce certain values on her when the accusations couldn't be farther from the truth. And when all arguments are exhausted the truth is apparent: Arbitrary limitations to what it's ok to sing about are placed on her that are not put on male artists because it's never brought up, never even a topic of discussion.

I'm on my lunch break, so I'll need to be brief.

One, stop being rude and condescending. It's obnoxious and I have no interest in dealing with that tone. This is hardly new territory for you when Taylor is criticized, but I'm finding it especially irritating in light of your personal attacks.

Two, I posted that chart in response to a comment asking if she can write songs about other topics. In the context of that conversation, it was not a criticism of the content of her songs so much as a joke about the similarity of so much of it. I have not listened to her albums, but I have heard at least a few dozen of her songs, mostly on the radio. So far as I can recall, they all dealt with the same thematic material, and I recognize (almost) all of those tropes in songs of hers. The chart - which, again, I didn't make - might be based on a limited or unrepresentative view of her music; it might be that her songwriting works better contextually across an album.

Three, as a criticism of the content of her songs it is not a criticism of her writing about relationships, per se, as much as it is a criticism of writing about relationships in a way that is immature, cloying, and overly dependent upon cliché. Is this every song? Perhaps not. Is it possible that this is subverted in context of the albums? Again, possible. But it does describe the songs I have heard, so clearly it has some basis on reality.

Lastly, this conversation started with your assertion that I, a 'seemingly intelligent' person, went 'full slut shaming ignorant' in that thread. You've made almost no case for this, and have instead opted to a) criticize the accuracy of the chart, and b) note a double-standard in the way that men and women are received for writing songs about relationships that are inspired by their personal experiences. I agree that this double standard exists - though I think the more bigger double standard is women often not getting credit as songwriters at all. Your argument is essentially dependent upon demonstrating that the chart is sexist, and therefore by posting it, I am also sexist. And if my criticism had been that she was singing about relationships that are inspired by her experiences (and I also was ignoring similar behavior from male artists), you may well have had a point that I was at least being sexist. But I was not making that criticism, so the whole thing falls apart. Insofar as I was intending to make any sort of criticism, it would be that her songwriting on those subjects is - again - immature, cloying, and overly dependent upon cliché. When I posted it, I did not think of it as a critique so much as a somewhat shady response to a question about songwriting range, but if we're going to ascribe a criticism to it, that's what it would be.

Have I just been called a lamb?
iveBgxO8TW9Qh.gif

Welcome to the club, darling.

I don't even think of myself as a lamb, to be honest. I find the whole "naming the stanbase / identifying yourself as that" thing to be a bit odd, on the whole of it.

Zutroy

Just watched all of the Grammy performances.

Beyonce was hot, but lost it's energy when hubby joined in.
Lorde I stopped watching half way though. He strange arm/hand movement made me feel uncomfortable.
Katy was better than usual.
Pink was crazy impressive. Even with it being the same routine she's done plenty of times before, it looked even more dangerous than I remember.
Talyor was good and looked stunning.
Mackelmore's performance was cute.

cory64

Bey was hot af but that was a VMAs performance not Grammys
Taylor was GORGEOUS and her performance was the best of the night.
Pink was impressive as usual but the music was stale.
Katy had her first decent performance this era.
Kacey is a delight
Kendrick went too hard for the Grammys.
Madonna was a trainwreck but the marriage thing was nice.
Rihanna won the night by avoiding what was largely a mess.

Mau ®

Gaga didnt do anything last year, or the one before.

What I find funny was that Rih was consistently in the Top 10 (Top 3 during red carpet) of twitter mentions despite the fact that she didn't even go. The impacT is real, sistren.

Majmun

Rih was probably too busy recording ha new smash hit and album.
ibzausKXg1X449.gif

Jay probably didn't give her any free time to attend the Grammy's

royalan

I'm still trying to figure out whether or not I'm offended by that Macklemore performance. I guess I understand the intent, but I don't think having a dozen gay couples get married on-stage for some hokey straight dude's Grammy performance will ring as "noble" to very many people. I think the takeaway for most people will be that gay marriage is trivial.

Then again, maybe the trivialization of gay marriage is the point.

ibvbWE6rT7rVdD.gif

cory64

It's rare that a track gets less promo than one from Lotus and yet still manages to chart higher than anything from that set.

xaosslug

I'm still trying to figure out whether or not I'm offended by that Macklemore performance. I guess I understand the intent, but I don't think having a dozen gay couples get married on-stage for some hokey straight dude's Grammy performance will ring as "noble" to very many people. I think the takeaway for most people will be that gay marriage is trivial.

Then again, maybe the trivialization of gay marriage is the point.

ibvbWE6rT7rVdD.gif

it's more for straight peeps to get their lives, imo.

it reminded me of that Simpsons episode.

It's rare that a track gets less promo than one from Lotus and yet still manages to chart higher than anything from that set.

not you sacrificing ya credibility for a joke. smh

Rih also remains absent from saving CRTFY (currently almost out of the top 100 on iTunes)

iheartrihannaslayingbm0ptg.gif

Dead! I guess her impact wasn't that strong.

However I think I'm finally over Rihanna in the sense I have nothing bad to say about her. PopGAF taught me that's she's a an amazing Tax write off for the Carters and why should I be mad at that? The more she sell, the more the Queen gets in free studio time so I guess its a good thing. At this point, there really shouldn't be a Bey vs Rih. They are on the same team.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom