• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAFPOP |OT8| Don't Forget the self-clockiesT of 'em all_

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://twitter.com/macklemore/statuses/2160294414

1xm.gif

edit: looks like he's saved lol http://www.capitolhillseattle.com/2009/06/dykes-rally-by-drag-queens-in-bat-n-rouge-softball-game/

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
as per, beyoncé ruled the grammys, and this year she didn't even need to win an award to do it

SURFBORT

SURFBORT

she missed the best verse off the song though

royalan

Beyonce's performance was wack. Her weakest awards show performance by far.

Her twerking was Miley level.

Her vocals were phoned-in...well, when she was actually singing.

Her weave was drenched in Joe Camel spit.

Nothing about it was right.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy

never change, sis

Partition

Banned

It was a bit lackluster, esp disappointed by the lip syncing. Though her weave was drenched because it was supposed to rain, didn't come together right I guess.

Peru

Taylor was spot on tonight. Not Mumei of all seemingly intelligent people going full slut shaming ignorant in that grammy thread tho.

GG fighting the Nashville co-writer group pressure lol
Though I love Kacey as well and it's kinda funny seeing her nominated for her own song and Miranda's.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
i just paid attention to the kiss me once tracklisting, and lordt

'sexercize', 'les sex', 'sexy love', lmao

[edit] not daft punk winning best album with their boring-ass effort. i thought everyone was kind of over how dull that album actually is but glancing through the grammys thread apparently not?

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Taylor was spot on tonight. Not Mumei of all seemingly intelligent people going full slut shaming ignorant in that grammy thread tho.

GG fighting the Nashville co-writer group pressure lol

Though I love Kacey as well and it's kinda funny seeing her nominated for her own song and Miranda's.

Ban the mod! LOL

cory64

preach iT.
Its success is perpetuating Thrillerism, a nasty plague where the infectee believes the only way a pop album can be good is if it's a lengthy overrehearsed homage to the late 70s/early 80s (see: most crossover male pop artists today). A descendant of rockism its sufferers may completely miss the point of what made Thriller work so well in the first place.

Let us hope that Blackoutism replaces it next decade.

Majmun

Well...

ijRW5rwYJVhJO.gif

Read THIS and THIS first

You can now proceed with your seething

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Its success is perpetuating Thrillerism, a nasty plague where the infectee believes the only way a pop album can be good is if it's a lengthy overrehearsed homage to the late 70s/early 80s (see: most crossover male pop artists today). A descendant of rockism its sufferers may completely miss the point of what made Thriller work so well in the first place.

Let us hope that Blackoutism replaces it next decade.

this tea though

it's weird though, i don't know a single person in real life, even the people who stanned it when it first came out, who are still here for RAM. get lucky is decent, and i'll take a thousand get lucky wins if it means blurred shit is left stricken, grammy-less, and dust-paid. but overall the album is kind of heartless and soulless (which is kind of astonishing for an album that features more actual humans on it than any of their previous albums (including nile rodgers)).

i am HERE for blackoutism though. truly the pinnacle and apex of millennial pop music.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
the legend of legends

who else?

my morning LISTENING:

x%2Bkyliecdkmborder600.jpg

[edit]
3. Blue Ivy Carter has a new sippy cup

Beyoncé, looking something beyond flawless, and joined by a tuxedoed Jay Z, opened the show with an impossibly seductive and predictably saucy performance of Drunk in Love before spending the rest of the night swirling cognac in her glass and eyeing every other performer with queenly hauteur. Her finest moment of being not-even-that-impressed came when her husband won best Grammy for Best Rap/Sung Collaboration. Jay Z raised the award in the air and said, "I wanna tell Blue – look Daddy got a gold sippy cup for you." If we'd been granted a cutaway, we'd probably have seen an infinitesimally raised eyebrow from La Yoncé.

howling

[edit] view the lyric video for 2014's first iconic single, ms aphrodylie minogue's 'Into The Blue': http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_jbqQPyFkU

the aussie queen is serving up some serious 'recorded in 15 minutes in my label's office' realness

Nemesis_

That lyric video is harder to read than the Applause one T_T

Edit: I just remembered Skirt exists and now I am depressed since Skirt is miles ahead of Into The Poo

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
i can't believe katy perry learned nothing from her unconditional performance and is now culturally appropriating from witches

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
I wonder if Kesha would have performed if it wasn't for her eating disorder. Lord knows the grammys could have used the life that timber would have brought

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I wonder if the lady announcing Taylor's defeat purposefully pronounced 'Re-ndom Access Memories' that way.

(Sorry, just saw the reaction clip, have no idea who was presenting/announcing the award...)

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
I also find it strange that Shakira didn't book the Grammy's to perform CRTFY.

That song really needed some promo

Maybe rih couldnt be bothered? Would have been quite awkward to have shakira up on stage with her feature sitting front row unbothered

Matt_

She has more facial hair than I do
jbp6t5NDPGvrw7.png

Mumei

I'm assuming he's talking about that chart that you posted
How criticising song lyrics is the same as slut shaming I don't know

Oh. Really?

Well, maybe the stan-logic there is, "If you criticize her for singing songs about relationships, you're criticizing her for having those relationships." But this is self-evidently ridiculous, so I don't think that would be it.

Peru

Oh. Really?

Well, maybe the stan-logic there is, "If you criticize her for singing songs about relationships, you're criticizing her for having those relationships." But this is self-evidently ridiculous, so I don't think that would be it.

The chart is sexist, if not slut-shaming, that's for sure. First off as a symbol of the sheer attention she's received for singing about love and relationship, topics making up 99% of pop songs by any artist, just because she's writing the songs herself and basing it off experiences in her own life, something every singer songwriter does, but as the rare and unfamiliar (to mainstream, ignorant audiences) female songwriter superstar this is somehow all very new, nevermind whether John Mayer, Bruno Mars, Bruce Springsteen etc do the same. Or how someone who sings about tons of exes in a pretty skeevy and disturbing way, Drake, never gets any of this kind of attention.

Second problem is it's been circulated for years now with no basis in reality. The whole reason she got the 'fairytales and princesses' label on her is 'Love Story', a part of the broader narrative of Fearless of how those naive fantasies crash with reality, how they're not real life, and only in the 'stories' you make up can you force someone to 'just say yes', while "I'm not a princess, this ain't a fairy tale" stands as the conclusion. "Virginal motifs" are of course as non-existent as you'd expect from someone who sang about sexual experiences in her first album, released at the age of 16.

It's a part of the narrative entirely manufactured by writers who have not actually listened to the songs or read her lyrics, where, because of her looks and gender and certain genre signifiers it's ok to lie about what she says and to enforce certain values on her when the accusations couldn't be farther from the truth. And when all arguments are exhausted the truth is apparent: Arbitrary limitations to what it's ok to sing about are placed on her that are not put on male artists because it's never brought up, never even a topic of discussion.

Or I could just quote what she says
“For a female to write about her feelings, and then be portrayed as some clingy, insane, desperate girlfriend in need of making you marry her and have kids with her, I think that’s taking something that potentially should be celebrated—a woman writing about her feelings in a confessional way—that’s taking it and turning it and twisting it into something that is frankly a little sexist.”

Matt_

iEkBEQ1SykjSA.gif

I'm fairly certain Mumei was criticising the fact Taylor has sung about the same things in the same way for four albums

wall of taylor-sized self delusion

Sorry, but no. Eminem's creepy lyrics get way much more ridicule than do those of any female writer, and Drake doesn't exactly get a pass either.

It's not an issue of sexism. It's an issue of lyrical circumscription. Just as Drake's basically typecasted himself through his own self-absorbed tripe as a sad sack stalker, Taylor's become the vengeful ex.

You can call it introspective if you want. After all these years, though, I just call it boring.

Peru

Sorry, but no. Eminem's creepy lyrics get way much more ridicule than do those of any female writer, and Drake doesn't exactly get a pass either.

Eminem only gets attention for homophobic jokes these days, I don't see him getting any flack for anything else except being bad. Don't think there's a female equivalent of him in terms of that in the mainstream now either.

It's not an issue of sexism. It's an issue of lyrical circumscription. Just as Drake's basically typecasted himself through his own self-absorbed tripe as a sad sack stalker, Taylor's become the vengeful ex.

You can call it introspective if you want. After all these years, though, I just call it boring.

The vengeful ex? That's tabloid stuff. It's not in the songs at all, except maybe two among hundreds.

You base your accusations of staleness on what? Her lyrics, her storytelling is very different from album to album, from playing with and twisting country cliches on her debut, the concept album bildungsroman of Fearless, Speak Now's more emotional, direct songs and on Red a whole mix of genres.

Your clueless attacks just support my theory that her loudest critics have no clue what she actually sings about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom