• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAFPOP |OT8| Don't Forget the self-clockiesT of 'em all_

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm saddened, Ashanti was up there with the Beyonces of the world at one time. I still use Chapter II and Concrete Rose

She was, but she stayed true to her R&B background and that's what drowned her out. She didn't stay on trend. And when she tried, its sounded dated. I'm opening my flood gates of Ashanti bops...

The Way That I Love You

Foolish

Baby

Baby (My Favorite song from her)

Rain On Me

Of Course only you

Happy

This Throwback. (D4U)

Another Throwback (Mesmerize)

Throwback (Always on Time)

Southside

Mostly all her hits and some from her album I didn't list are good. It's sad shes a B-side artist now. I really still love her, it just she's still a bit dated. Hopefully her new album has a new sound.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
rihanna being a trashy bully on instagram again. flawless! incredible! what an icon, rite??? no wonder her stans are so rude.

And Alopecia Keys is an icon?
alicia-keys-600x337.jpg

She was, but she stayed true to her R&B background and that's what drowned her out. She didn't stay on trend. And when she tried, its sounded dated. I'm opening my flood gates of Ashanti bops...

The Way That I Love You

Foolish

Baby

Baby (My Favorite song from her)

Rain On Me

Of Course only you

Happy

This Throwback. (D4U)

Another Throwback (Mesmerize)

Throwback (Always on Time)

Southside

Mostly all her hits and some from her album I didn't list are good. It's sad shes a B-side artist now. I really still love her, it just she's still a bit dated. Hopefully her new album has a new sound.

I love you for this, all these songs are great. I hope one day she can rise up and be a force in the game again. Although you're right, pure R&B isn't nearly as popular as it was back then.

Aguila

#ICONIC
First of all, HEW is that man?

Second of all, that couch looks dusty and uncomfortable af. HEW would want to sit on that?

Third of all, somebody needs to TIE those YASS-ING banshees and make them look at ARTPOP's chart numbers.

I love you for this, all these songs are great. I hope one day she can rise up and be a force in the game again. Although you're right, pure R&B isn't nearly as popular as it was back then.

It's isn't sadly, but it's still there. However I liked the way it evolved into something fresh. I really do love this deep alternative R&B that spreading right now. It's still soulful thou lacking the classic quality the 90's and early 2000's brought. However it's in a league of its own and coming up slowly. I find, unfortunately, the only problem with this new R&B craze is the fact that big voices don't get to exploit it more. Idk, for some reason from my perspective, it seems that smaller voices dominate that area. It works for them because they don't have to put that much effort into the song but flow, however it just looks like a launching platform for smaller creatives to make an impact. Not sure if that's a bad thing or not but I've had this on my mind for some time. Hearing what JoJo just put out gives me a faith tho...

Ties

Banned
Mau ®;101237996 said:
Are you dumb?

#MCM is Man Crush Monday. She wants to sit on his face/lips. LordT help me with these social media lessers.
Ch.... I thought I was the only one who caught it.

To think that they call the #NVAY illiterate when we can comprehend hashtags better than the other girls. What kind of degree in literature?

blackladyshakectr15.gif

B-Dex

Not the indie-pop-rock darlings being asked to sing their awesome movie track:

Tegan & Sara have been on the road for over a year supporting their 2013 album Heartthrob...."The other night, we were playing a show and were about halfway through the set when I heard a guy go, 'Play "Everything Is Awesome"!' And I was like, 'Oh no, this could become a problem,'" says Quin with a laugh. "Without the Lonely Island guys traveling with us, I can't really imagine it within our set. But that's not because I'm not proud of it."

They should add it to their setlist tbh.

It's isn't sadly, but it's still there. However I liked the way it evolved into something fresh. I really do love this deep alternative R&B that spreading right now. It's still soulful thou lacking the classic quality the 90's and early 2000's brought. However it's in a league of its own and coming up slowly. I find, unfortunately, the only problem with this new R&B craze is the fact that big voices don't get to exploit it more. Idk, for some reason from my perspective, it seems that smaller voices dominate that area. It works for them because they don't have to put that much effort into the song but flow, however it just looks like a launching platform for smaller creatives to make an impact. Not sure if that's a bad thing or not but I've had this on my mind for some time. Hearing what JoJo just put out gives me a faith tho...

I agree with all of this, I just wish the GP was here for this new R&B sound. Occasionally we'll get people that cross over, but for the most part, its all on the pure R&B stations. Maybe JoJo will give it more exposure, but then that could be a whole other thing too. I think there's space in R&B for the big voices and the new more alternative sound.

I agree with all of this, I just wish the GP was here for this new R&B sound. Occasionally we'll get people that cross over, but for the most part, its all on the pure R&B stations. Maybe JoJo will give it more exposure, but then that could be a whole other thing too. I think there's space in R&B for the big voices and the new more alternative sound.
I don't remember the last time I was so disappointed as when I entered the (on again, off again) R&B thread in OT. It seems that 95% of current R&B is cold, lifeless minimalistic beatwave barely propped up by a chipmunk-voiced pair of boobs and legs.

Thank God for JoJo, Ariana, and Marsha.

royalan

I think Janelle Monae said this somewhere and I agreed, modern R&B is really stifled right now. Back in the 70s and going even up into the 90s, there used to be a lot of experimentation in the genre. Characters like Janelle Monae were par for the course once upon a time, and musicianship was paramount. Not so much anymore.

However, it's also worth pointing out that there's been a lot of shifting in genre classifications lately, and with more people being exposed to R&B the argument goes that R&B hasn't stopped experimenting. It just gets called something else if it veers too far outside of the hyper-conservative view of what R&B music should sound like. There are a lot of artists/songs out there who are considered Pop that I would actually argue were closer to R&B. Lorde is a good example.

I think Janelle Monae said this somewhere and I agreed, modern R&B is really stifled right now. Back in the 70s and going even up into the 90s, there used to be a lot of experimentation in the genre. Characters like Janelle Monae were par for the course once upon a time, and musicianship was paramount. Not so much anymore.

However, it's also worth pointing out that there's been a lot of shifting in genre classifications lately, and with more people being exposed to R&B the argument goes that R&B hasn't stopped experimenting. It just gets called something else if it veers too far outside of the hyper-conservative view of what R&B music should sound like. There are a lot of artists/songs out there who are considered Pop that I would actually argue were closer to R&B. Lorde is a good example.

I agree with this. I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this.

royalan

I just noticed that Stan-Wars has been updated with a few new articles. I'm screaming.

Why Do You Hate Male Artists? with its own thread. (A must read)

NAWT the thread being modeled after BGC...X_X

EDIT: NAWT Chris Brown banned.

EDIT 2:

DEATH at how fast Justin and Miguel came sprinting in here as soon as they saw my name.

Justine is just mad that she released two albums which barely had 5 good songs between them and me and Robin still snatched her wig!

Meanwhile, back at the BreeditRaw headquarters, Miss Guel is seething because the only memorable thing she did last year was put her pussy on that poor girl's sideburns...

"Meanwhile, back at the BreeditRaw headquarters, Miss Guel is seething because the only memorable thing she did last year was put her pussy on that poor girl's sideburns..."

iGq5UQWNxa7nz.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom