• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAFPOP |OT8| Don't Forget the self-clockiesT of 'em all_

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gaga's ARTPOP performance last night wasn't my cup of tea. Her iTunes Festival performance of that song remains the best. If only she had performed G.U.Y..

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I know that a lot of people like it when popstars sit behind a piano honking out 'stripped down' versions of their songs. I don't. I think it shows a total lack of creativity and I really wish that people would stop it.

http://www.popjustice.com/thenews/beyonces-definitely-performing-at-the-brits-tonight/124601/

Beyoncé is definitely going to be having a singsong at the Brit awards tonight, host James Corden has confirmed.
Having a chat with Zoe Ball on BBC Radio 2, the Lesbian Vampire Killers star said (as quoted here): “I must be able to tell you? Beyoncé. Beyoncé is performing tonight.”
Amazing.
He went on to add that it wouldn’t be the same performance as at the Grammys: “She’s performing a track she has never ever performed live before. Ever.”
‘Pretty Hurts’?! ‘Blow’?! ‘Inní mér syngur vitleysingur’ by Sigur Ros?!
We’ll find out tonight.

Gaga's ARTPOP performance last night wasn't my cup of tea. Her iTunes Festival performance of that song remains the best. If only she had performed G.U.Y..

Agreed. The iTunes performance of ARTPOP is pretty much the best thing she's done this era outside of the Applause music video. It was elegant, understated yet epic. A true performance.

But let's read this.

First of all, WHY does she always insist on doing the piano-then-studio-production ensemble so frequently this era. She did it with Do What You Want, she did it with Venus, she did it with Gypsy about 8 times, she did it with Swine at the iTunes festival... Lady LIVES for this style but it's so overdone and tired at this point. On the one hand I understand why it might work for new listeners (coz you're getting that hook in first, then hammering it in later with a big production), but for someone who's seen literally everything she's ever done (lol) this performance was really bottom-of-the-barrel Gaga.

She's just... off. Her face, her body language, her constantly frumpy-looking outfits, she seems relatively detached and it makes me scratch my head. She hauls out some kind of tableau on stage but never actually uses it. She'd sing DWUW then run up to the piano, barely play a few keys, and yodel out the chorus, then gets up to finish the rest. It feels like she's cashing in so many of these performances because of a lack of concept.

Say what you want about the Born This Way era, but EVERY SINGLE PERFORMANCE WAS A CONCEPT. The blue pubes, the afterbirth bath, the braids wrapped around the Eiffel tower, the decapitated priestess, the guillotines, the wheelchair mermaid, the scorned former lover... every performance (even the lower-tier televised ones) had a tableau that was fully realized.

This era? There was the career retrospective at the VMAs, the anime outfit during that Japanese Applause performance, and... that might be it. She's headlining these performances more with the "look" than a concrete theme. Maybe she was tired of driving a story home every time and just wants to perform like every other bitch in the game? Maybe, and it's a fair thing to want. BUT, it always felt like a Gaga performance was something special because she really took the time out to make something fully realized and unique.

This ARTPOP performance was cashed in, lazy, and not fun to watch. If not having a manager or a team behind you at every whim turns you into a lessor version of yourself and your character, then you better get that team back.

And it's like she's deliberately trying to look as frumpy as possible on stage this era. I don't get it. She looks FLAWLESS just walking out of her goddamn HOUSE every day, but on stage she becomes a human construction cone.

Eh I guess I should just enjoy the ride, and I still very much do, but it's obvious that the business troubles on Gaga's end have effect her on the creative side, and I'm really excited for her to build that back up so that she returns to the immaculate presentations I was used to getting from her. It's a transition so I'll wait up.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
not me actually AGREEING with soulsis about gaga

gagafall.jpg

If she performs Partition I WILL DIE
More likely XO though (unless she's performed it already?)

maybe she'll be doing one of those brit mashup performances

what if it's telephone

Mumei

WAIT

godel-sis

You know that Beatles biography that I mentioned to you? The one that's 900 pages and just "Part 1", by Mark Lewisohn? I just learned that there is a special extended edition of that, and it is
pages long. Good Lord.

I was going to read the other edition, but now I'll have to switch. Unfortunately it is only sold on the Amazon UK site, because Amazon hates me and wants me to deal with exchange rates.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
WAIT

godel-sis

You know that Beatles biography that I mentioned to you? The one that's 900 pages and just "Part 1", by Mark Lewisohn? I just learned that there is a special extended edition of that, and it is
pages long. Good Lord.

I was going to read the other edition, but now I'll have to switch. Unfortunately it is only sold on the Amazon UK site, because Amazon hates me and wants me to deal with exchange rates.

lordt, an appropriate BIBLE for the MESSIAHS of pop music

what does it even contain though, a detailed record of every bowel movement?

that cover design is ghastly tho
2095c354.gif

what about the kindle version though?

yeah, her stage outfits this era have been horrendous. the DWUW performance with xtina was her at her worst tbh.

she made such a big deal about being ART and POP this time around, but there seems to be very little thought put into her appearance. what is ART or POP about anything she really does? unlike nintendo's groundbreaking new contemplative FPS, steel diver: subwars (free to play), lady gaga has become a stale dinosaur in this industry faster than anyone could ever have imagined.

and this out-of-touch tryhard shit has seeped into her music. she needs to take a step back and rethink this whole era. mess after mess.

also

image.php

wat is this lol :s

Mau ®

The KINGS OF POP Coldplay will headline the iTunes festival in mid-march.

The new era approaches!!! Abandon your faves and rihpent!!!

Beyoncé is definitely going to be having a singsong at the Brit awards tonight, host James Corden has confirmed.
Having a chat with Zoe Ball on BBC Radio 2, the Lesbian Vampire Killers star said (as quoted here): “I must be able to tell you? Beyoncé. Beyoncé is performing tonight.”
Amazing.
He went on to add that it wouldn’t be the same performance as at the Grammys: “She’s performing a track she has never ever performed live before. Ever.”
‘Pretty Hurts’?! ‘Blow’?! ‘Inní mér syngur vitleysingur’ by Sigur Ros?!
We’ll find out tonight.

http://www.popjustice.com/thenews/beyonces-definitely-performing-at-the-brits-tonight/124601/

Not her doing her best for the UK tho.... I'm a but bothered by this but I can deal. I'll watch it anyways but why do I have this strange feeling it's going to be Blow? A tiny part of me hopes it's Partition.

Trigger

yeah, her stage outfits this era have been horrendous. the DWUW performance with xtina was her at her worst tbh.

she made such a big deal about being ART and POP this time around, but there seems to be very little thought put into her appearance. what is ART or POP about anything she really does? unlike nintendo's groundbreaking new contemplative FPS, steel diver: subwars (free to play), lady gaga has become a stale dinosaur in this industry faster than anyone could ever have imagined.

and this out-of-touch tryhard shit has seeped into her music. she needs to take a step back and rethink this whole era. mess after mess.

kiiiiiii

Mumei

lordt, an appropriate BIBLE for the MESSIAHS of pop music

what does it even contain though, a detailed record of every bowel movement?[
that cover design is ghastly tho
2095c354.gif

what about the kindle version though?

It contains childhood through 1962, in exhaustive detail, no doubt. If he does this for Parts 2 and 3, the final page count will be ~5000.

And these pictures don't look as bad. I actually like the cardboard holder (isn't it just a slipcase?) and the embossed designs of the books, even if the box itself is more than a bit garish.

The Kindle versions are £19.49 each. I don't know why anyone would spent £38.98 on Kindle editions of anything tbh.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Not her doing her best for the UK tho.... I'm a but bothered by this but I can deal. I'll watch it anyways but why do I have this strange feeling it's going to be Blow? A tiny part of me hopes it's Partition.

the last couple of years have been a little lacklustre at the brits but historically they've mostly absolutely shit on e.g. the grammys in terms of live performances

it must be the creatively charged atmosphere of the uk giving these artists the power to slay

Touchdown

Banned
It contains childhood through 1962, in exhaustive detail, no doubt. If he does this for Parts 2 and 3, the final page count will be ~5000.

And these pictures don't look as bad. I actually like the cardboard holder (isn't it just a slipcase?) and the embossed designs of the books, even if the box itself is more than a bit garish.

The Kindle versions are £19.49 each. I don't know why anyone would spent £38.98 on Kindle editions of anything tbh.

Don't hate on the kindle, it's a cute gift for mom or dad.

_56433033_c0102504-elderly_woman.gif

As if things weren't bad enough, Fallon's ratings went down last night. So much for Gaga her comeback.

Let's not push it. It's a pretty standard drop off from a highly coveted pilot episode, and Gaga didn't appear until the final 4 minutes of the show so she has nil to do with that. And it's not really a comeback performance if she never did so much as tweet about it before-the-fact. And she didn't even do it to sell a single. It's a run-of-the-mill album/tour promotional performance that's pretty standard when artists are between singles or in a recharge phase.

I know it's fun to declare doom on her but come on now

Let's not push it. It's a pretty standard drop off from a highly coveted pilot episode, and Gaga didn't appear until the final 4 minutes of the show so she has nil to do with that. And it's not really a comeback performance if she never did so much as tweet about it before-the-fact. And she didn't even do it to sell a single. It's a run-of-the-mill album/tour promotional performance that's pretty standard when artists are between singles or in a recharge phase.

I know it's fun to declare doom on her but come on now

Oh, I get all that, it's just that the ATRL Monsters were doing the most with this. They thought she'd be doing her rumored new single GUY and that it would shoot up the charts reinvigorating the era.

ochinpur143_1285344841_5-funny-fingers-18.jpg

Um...so am I the only one who thought her Fallon performance was fine? She sang great, played great, and had above-average presence on the stage.

Though the camera placement totally hid the fact that she had other dancers on stage until the the song was already over, which was very awkward.

I'm glad she's not trying to shoe-horn some "high concept" tableau into every performance. Even for someone with Gaga's creative tendencies, that must get tiring. It'd already gotten tiring enough for a passive viewer like myself tbh

Yado

lmao

I liked the performance but this is not the kind of live performance this song, the album or Gaga needed right now. But who cares anymore at this point.

ochinpur143_1285344841_5-funny-fingers-18.jpg

Um...so am I the only one who thought her Fallon performance was fine? She sang great, played great, and had above-average presence on the stage.

Though the camera placement totally hid the fact that she had other dancers on stage until the the song was already over, which was very awkward.

I'm glad she's not trying to shoe-horn some "high concept" tableau into every performance. Even for someone with Gaga's creative tendencies, that must get tiring. It'd already gotten tiring enough for a passive viewer like myself tbh

Yeah I guess it's almost refreshing to see her not go hard with a concept each time, though the trade is that it comes off as phoned in to someone like me, lol. She's tweeted a lot about how she wants to just stand and sing sometimes, I don't blame her for wanting that.

I'm guessing the gig was booked WAY in advance, and seeing how it didn't time out well with the GUY release, she just went with some standard album promo. Makes sense in that context, considering she hasn't made any era-related announcements.

It's jarring not seeing her constantly in motion though.

Mau ®

The Queen of Pop tribute act Rita Ora posted a clip of her new single 'I Will Never Let You Down', produced by Calvin Harris.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PaJcaVNe-M

Well. It's something.

It's kinda catchy.

I wonder how it must feel for brands to buy Rita Ora, fully knowing you're getting a third rate Rihanna copy. I can see the marketing meetings going like this:

"We wanna get Rihanna for our brand!"
"We can't tho"
"Why?"
"Because she's with the competition (MAC, Balhaim, Armani,River Island, you name it)"
"Oh... so who else can we get that's like Rihanna"
"Well there's this Rihta Ora chick..."

ki.

Yeah it really doesn't help that Rita Ora looks EXACTLY like combining Beyonce and Rihanna's faces.

She's like a liger if ligers weren't rare or impressive

royalan

I don't have anything to say about Gaga's performance that hasn't already been said. The era is done, and I wish she'd stop beating us over the head with its corpse.

A few months ago I spillT the hottest tea: that if Gaga spent so much of her cultural capital trying to make "Applause" not a flop she would end up sucking to life out of the entire era. And that's exactly what happened. She used all of her tricks trying to make Applause's performance on the charts slightly less embarrassing, and the public tired of her before she even got to the next single.

Well, now I'm afraid that's happening with ARTPOP and her very career. Gaga needs to let ARTPOP go. The era is a flop. Nobody is here for it. If she keeps putting all of her energy into making its performance slightly less embarrassing, she's only hastening the rate at which the public just tire of her.

Mark my words.

I don't have anything to say about Gaga's performance that hasn't already been said. The era is done, and I wish she'd stop beating us over the head with its corpse.

A few months ago I spillT the hottest tea: that if Gaga spent so much of her cultural capital trying to make "Applause" not a flop she would end up sucking to life out of the entire era. And that's exactly what happened. She used all of her tricks trying to make Applause's performance on the charts slightly less embarrassing, and the public tired of her before she even got to the next single.

Well, now I'm afraid that's happening with ARTPOP and her very career. Gaga needs to let ARTPOP go. The era is a flop. Nobody is here for it. If she keeps putting all of her energy into making its performance slightly less embarrassing, she's only hastening the rate at which the public just tire of her.

Mark my words.

I accepted your tea a few days ago.

Receipt

You're not lying this time either.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
The most disappointing thing about the Fallon performance is that ARTPOP is one of the few songs on the album that actually sounds finished and coherent, but her piano-first performance made it sound half-finished and incoherent. A mess.

Mau ®

For reference:

U2's new song shot up to the iTunes TOP 20 after their performance on the Tonight Show.
Lady Gaga's ARTPOP song is not anywhere near the Top 200.

Majmun

In more important news, Beyoncé f/Jay Z’s “Drunk in Love” remains the #1 record in the country. Columbia’s Ayelet Schiffman and James White are gearing up for her new single, “Partition,” on 2/25.

Link

Partition for the Brit Awards confirmed???

The song is amazing, but has it radio potential?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom