• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAFPOP |OT8| Don't Forget the self-clockiesT of 'em all_

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
i8Xyg94F42ntp.gif
ibjozdJPZ4HSH9.png

you are now free to create more iconic moments

ijTFyNuh02GY8.gif

Mumei

The Inevitable Boringness of a 'Personal' Britney Spears Album

In her 2004 music video for “My Prerogative,” Britney Spears issued this warning before crashing her speeding sports car into a fancy pool: "People can take everything away from you, but they can never take away your truth. The question is: Can you handle mine?" In 2013, on the eve of her eighth studio album, Britney Jean, the question is more like this: Do people even want her truth in the first place?

[...]

There’s never been much evidence that Spears has much to offer as a songwriter. The last time she had as many writing credits as she does on Britney Jean was a decade ago on In the Zone, but for every “Everytime”—Spears’s haunting, piano-ballad response to Justin Timberlake’s “Cry Me a River”—there’s “Someday (I Will Understand),” her forgettable pregnancy prophecy. (As we’ve also learned from Beyoncé, a pop performers having a songwriting credit doesn't necessarily mean much.)

[...]

It's fitting that Spears was a one-season judge on singing competition The X Factor, because the title of the show is really the only way to explain the career longevity she's had at this point. (This mild album, and the 32-year-old’s impending Vegas residency suggest she may be winding down.) Even when she's half-heartedly going through the motions of her choreography or lip-syncing in “live” performances, the Spears fandom often operates on the assumption there's something she's holding back, and it clings furiously to evidence that supports this notion.

But as Britney Jean unfortunately suggests, a solid and successful Spears album isn’t one where fans get “the real Britney.” It’s one where she sounds just human enough and just invested in her work enough to let fans project their fantasies of whatever “the real Britney” is: someone still hungry for creative control and agency, someone whose vocal idiosyncrasies bring out the best in producers, someone who isn’t a total zombie. Britney Jean forces fans to confront the fact that the truth—her truth—is probably a disappointment.

Ouch.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy

So I reread this article, and then serendipitously, Bad Romance came up on my massive pop Spotify playlist, and I suddenly became aware of how pop music felt back in 2009 when BR had just hit, and how it was so absolutely perfect a piece of pop music, and suddenly every other pop girl in the biz suddenly seemed kind of completely irrelevant. And it's now become even more crazy to me—absolutely insane, really—that anyone could possibly claim with a straight face that anything Gaga has done since TFM and Bad Romance is even in the same league, let alone better. Gaga bottled pop lightning with that single and that EP, and it's becoming increasingly clear that she'll probably never manage it again.

SaintZ

Young and Beautiful has been nominated for Original Song at the 18th Satellite Awards. It begins.

ib23c2ke2dskp5uxbd2.gif

Demi's Let It Go was nominated as well

The ceremony is on March 9.

Hm. I was always so worried about getting a "personal" Britney album, just because I knew it would be superficial (and in an unintentional way, in contrast to the intentional hedonism that characterizes the majority of her discography). People always ask me why I like still like Britney Spears, given that she doesn't sing or dance well anymore, and I've always relied on the "at least we have the music" angle. I've realized recently that I'm not particularly fussed with Britney herself, I'm more interested in the "Britney Spears" brand of pop music. Her music is always firmly and unabashedly in the mainstream and yet there's always something a little bit off-kilter and sinister lurking behind it. It's genius, and it's genius precisely because it doesn't know that it's genius, unlike other popstars who knowingly try to combine their TOP 40 POP and EDGY ART proclivities and end up seeming even more manufactured than the Queen of Artifice herself.

It might just be because I follow her story: virginal child star ---> Slave 4 U sexpot ---> breakdown ---> recovery and conseratorship- and that might allow me to see darker shades of meaning in her music that perhaps aren't necessarily there and I'm just imagining them. But that's precisely why I was dreading a personal album; when she makes it explicitly clear that this album is personal, there's no room for theorizing and guesswork. She's pulled back the curtain and there was nothing there all along and I feel dumb for having such a pseduointellectual connection to her past music.

I'm still a fan of course, but I'll just take her music at face value now...which is a lot less fun, even for someone who genuinely likes pop music.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Hm. I was always so worried about getting a "personal" Britney album, just because I knew it would be superficial (and in an unintentional way, in contrast to the intentional hedonism that characterizes the majority of her discography). People always ask me why I like still like Britney Spears, given that she doesn't sing or dance well anymore, and I've always relied on the "at least we have the music" angle. I've realized recently that I'm not particularly fussed with Britney herself, I'm more interested in the "Britney Spears" brand of pop music. Her music is always firmly and unabashedly in the mainstream and yet there's always something a little bit off-kilter and sinister lurking behind it. It's genius, and it's genius precisely because it doesn't know that it's genius, unlike other popstars who knowingly try to combine their TOP 40 POP and EDGY ART proclivities and end up seeming even more manufactured than the Queen of Artifice herself.

It might just be because I follow her story: virginal child star ---> Slave 4 U sexpot ---> breakdown ---> recovery and conseratorship- and that might allow me to see darker shades of meaning in her music that perhaps aren't necessarily there and I'm just imagining them. But that's precisely why I was dreading a personal album; when she makes it explicitly clear that this album is personal, there's no room for theorizing and guesswork. She's pulled back the curtain and there was nothing there all along and I feel dumb for having such a pseduointellectual connection to her past music.

I'm still a fan of course, but I'll just take her music at face value now...which is a lot less fun, even for someone who genuinely likes pop music.

Thanks for putting this better than I ever could have done.

I love this post, and I totally get it.

cory64

The more I come to understand, the touch of Crumpet's keystrokes.

Yado

Ya Hey was the only song I liked on that album. I think I've only liked one or two songs off their previous albums so maybe their music doesn't do anything for me.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Ya Hey was the only song I liked on that album. I think I've only liked one or two songs off their previous albums so maybe their music doesn't do anything for me.

Mess. I honestly believe that V-Dubz have never put a bad track on one of their albums.

I've only listened to Modern Vampires of the City. But there isn't a flaw to be found. Every damn song is a bop and memorable in some way.

When will the other girls?

Touchdown

Banned

it8uzk2YfztKW.gif

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
I feel like my life is in shambles.

Gypsy might be replacing Monster as my favorite Gaga song.

What has my life become?

Partition

Banned
I feel like my life is in shambles.

Gypsy might be replacing Monster as my favorite Gaga song.

What has my life become?

let her art and pop in

Gypsy really is one of her best, if not her best song. I've been saying that from the beginning.

My only complaint is that the "I'm I'm I'm, I'm I'm I'm, a gypsy gypsy gypsy I'm" part should punch harder production wise. If it had some clapping and stomps in the background it would be perfect.

Trigger

Gypsy is a motherfucking grower. Everytime I listen it just grabs me more.

I've only listened to Modern Vampires of the City. But there isn't a flaw to be found. Every damn song is a bop and memorable in some way.

When will the other girls?

Have you listened to Contra? If not you should. Modern Vampires of City is cute, but Contra is still my favorite album from them.

Partition

Banned
Gypsy's pretty great.

I still maintain that Monster sounds like something Cascada would make as a ripoff Gaga song, though. I don't much care for it.

never liked Monster. It doesn't really go anywhere or do much for me.

TFM is pretty average all over the place. The only songs I consider really great or that I still use are SHICD and Alejandro. I never listen to Bad Romance and DITD leaves me flaccid from the shitty chorus.

#shots fired

Have you listened to Contra? If not you should. Modern Vampires of City is cute, but Contra is still my favorite album from them.

I haven't. But I definitely will. I'm still busy absorbing Modern Vampires of the City's slayage.

never liked Monster. It doesn't really go anywhere or do much for me.

TFM is pretty average all over the place. The only songs I consider really great or that I still use are SHICD and Alejandro. I never listen to Bad Romance and DITD leaves me flaccid from the shitty chorus.

Bad Romance, Alejandro, Dance in the Dark, Speechless, and Teeth. Top five. Don't care for Telephone. So Happy I Could Die is good but not top five good for me. And Monster is Monster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom