• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAFPOP |OT8| Don't Forget the self-clockiesT of 'em all_

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
i dunno if all you gays have seen the newer Looking trailer but i've been vibing to the st lucia track it's set to.

St Lucia - All Eyes on You

i hope this sees it receive some belated acknowledgement as a true bop.

St Lucia has some great stuff, but they're the type of band I end up playing one song repeatedly and can't get into albums.

The show looks pretty good too, will have to give it a watch when it premiers

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
St Lucia has some great stuff, but they're the type of band I end up playing one song repeatedly and can't get into albums.

Thing is, the album is comprised almost entirely of songs with that quality. After such a long gestation period from the EP to the album, my excitement tapered off somewhat, but the guy knows how to write catchy hooks like nobody's business. I can see some big things for 'em down the road.

Saw the news this morning. I don't think anyone was surprised though
Baeb_DgCQAAIOeZ.png

I mean, the signs were there...

First step: "I'm bi, Gaga's pretty cool! Not gonna lie!"

Second step: "I'm gay, YAAAAAS GAGA YOU LOOK SO GUUUUAAAAD"

Let it get there.

cory64

The 1-disc version of Britney's singles collection is weird.

..."Born to Make You Happy"
over Sometimes, Lucky, Do Somethin, Outrageous, Break The Ice?

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Thing is, the album is comprised almost entirely of songs with that quality. After such a long gestation period from the EP to the album, my excitement tapered off somewhat, but the guy knows how to write catchy hooks like nobody's business. I can see some big things for 'em down the road.

Just downloaded there album based on this, my first experience with lossless audio too

DMeisterJ

Banned
Let's merge GAF and POP and label all the video game systems as POP STARS.

PS4 - Rihanna
XBOX One - Katy Perry
WiiU - Whitney Houston

3DS - Lady Gaga
PS Vita - Ke$ha

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
not me not realising charli xcx had even released a music video until katy perry retweeted it (are they on the same label?
iyrLku2lKw6Xw.gif
). a total banger, i love it.

and just in case you forgot for your pop album of the year lists, true romance was released in april of this year
iyrLku2lKw6Xw.gif

not me not realising charli xcx had even released a music video until katy perry retweeted it (are they on the same label?
iyrLku2lKw6Xw.gif

and just in case you forgot for your pop album of the year lists, true romance was released in april of this year
iyrLku2lKw6Xw.gif
I like the video for SuperLove. I also like the videos for You're The One and You - Ha Ha Ha. Set Me Free doesn't have a video, but it is kind of good. The rest of her songs don't do anything for me, though.

Matt_

Grins is the album highlight

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
First artRave dates

May 6th: Atlanta, Philps Arena
May 12th: Philadelphia, Wells Fargo Center
Jun 2 2014: San Diego, Viejas Arena
July 14th: San Antonio, AT&T Center

I don't have to travel this time, crying

xaosslug

He's not gay, he's bisexual.

It's funny that people would get it twisted when explicitly stated in his coming out video that he avoided the press to make this announcement because doing that often spreads misinformation.

smells like PR (he's like a one man 1D in some parts w/ droves of fangurls) to get ahead of being outed. I heard he was caught on Grindr...

First artRave dates

May 6th: Atlanta, Philps Arena
May 12th: Philadelphia, Wells Fargo Center
Jun 2 2014: San Diego, Viejas Arena
July 14th: San Antonio, AT&T Center

I don't have to travel this time, crying

OMG, I get to see her in July.

Let me calm the fuck down, CALM DOWN BITCH

Bladenic

Let me attend May's premiere gay social event that happens to involve someone performing on stage.

I'm waiting for more dates obviously, but the philly one has already got me hyped. Would be a good excuse to visit Philly for the first time too.

B-Dex

iyrLku2lKw6Xw.gif

iyrLku2lKw6Xw.gif

Godel I've had superlove pre ordered on iTunes Canada since it was first posted like 2 topics ago. I wonder if it got released yet. Lemme check.

Edit: says expected release is today dec 2nd. RIP.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Godel I've had superlove pre ordered on iTunes Canada since it was first posted like 2 topics ago. I wonder if it got released yet. Lemme check.

Edit: says expected release is today dec 2nd. RIP.

lordt i am so behind

forgive me charli xcxsus for i have sinned
iUTDxpduLUURk.png

What the fuck is going on with Justin Bieber? He's randomly releasing all these singles every Monday these past few weeks ("Music Mondays" he calls them) and they're all INCREDIBLE...by the standards of his prior discography, at least. Does he even have an album coming out?

Change Me
All That Matters
PYD
Hold Tight
Heartbreaker

I mean, what!? That's some damn good stuff from the Biebz, some Justified-era Neptunes realness

tumblr_mqibl45azC1s37850o1_250.gif

Songs would be so much better if he had a stronger voice tho

Hello again GAF-pop
0J85Pz.gif

I helped teach my cousin how to drive/park during the holiday weekend, and was forced to listen to her music which was basically One Direction and Rihanna. She thinks Lady Gaga's new album is trash, not a big Katy Perry fan either. One Direction...sounded pretty generic to me, like really boilerplate boring stuff. Does GAF-Pop like their music, or is it more of a following for the band members?

Also, she really doesn't like Beyonce. To me, Beyonce sounds awkward as fuck over dance stuff (see: Girls/Who Run The World). Is she pretty much irrelevant?

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Hello again GAF-pop
0J85Pz.gif

I helped teach my cousin how to drive/park during the holiday weekend, and was forced to listen to her music which was basically One Direction and Rihanna. She thinks Lady Gaga's new album is trash, not a big Katy Perry fan either. One Direction...sounded pretty generic to me, like really boilerplate boring stuff. Does GAF-Pop like their music, or is it more of a following for the band members?

Also, she really doesn't like Beyonce. To me, Beyonce sounds awkward as fuck over dance stuff (see: Girls/Who Run The World). Is she pretty much irrelevant?

One Direction isn't very good music, no. Try and get her into Little Mix instead
iyrLku2lKw6Xw.gif

Bey is kind of irrelevant at the moment yes. Who knows whether 5ive will reverse that trend or solidify it.

I like Liam from 1D because of his looks. Not here for the generic music tbh.

And yes the hasBeyn is pretty much irrelevant. Poor soul.

isn't that just a fancy way to define an artist's prime.

Basically yeah. But the article is just a really great read. I like how it breaks down what is needed for the peak to happen and how it can applied to Gaga at this time.

It kind of represents a chart theorem if you will which I find quite compelling.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Basically yeah. But the article is just a really great read. I like how it breaks down what is needed for the peak to happen and how it can applied to Gaga at this time.

It kind of represents a chart theorem if you will which I find quite compelling.

Oh and it spills this boiling hot brew

But the imperial phase isn't a universally applicable concept. It doesn't feel right-- to me at least-- applying it to album-led styles like indie rock, where the cycles of LP releases and year-end polls are longer and the single-to-single, video-to-video intensity of the imperial phase is missing. Many pop acts never get big enough to have one, others miss their opportunity. Part of the fun in the concept lies in spotting them. Who had one in the 00s? Missy Elliott ("Get Ur Freak On" to "Work It"), Outkast probably, Eminem obviously, Girls Aloud in England.

iyrLku2lKw6Xw.gif

cory64

And then there are the stars who beat the framework's implicit trap-- that you only get one chance to define your time, a short window of peak ability. The Beatles or Bowie or James Brown feel too vast for the idea. Prince might have had the longest imperial phase ever; Madonna enjoyed at least two and possibly three… at a certain level of fame the idea loses force.

Rihanna tbh

Rihanna tbh

True. Rihanna's trajectory is unaffected by her competitors, but on the flip side, her success has hindered no one. Whereas Gaga ate some of Katy's pie in 2008, and Katy ate it back in 2013, Rihanna's success has messed with no one. Nor has Taylor's.

xaosslug

Hello again GAF-pop
0J85Pz.gif

yeah, you pretty much need to stan the boys of 1D hardcoreish in order to blindly enjoy their music.

and Girls/Who Run The World is just a bad son, period.

Koodo

Banned
Beyoncé is pretty much done for. There's only one stan left in popgaf who checks for her every move.

Beyoncé is pretty much done for. There's only stan left in popgaf who checks for her every move.

Stop.

The Queen is simply resting and letting the lessors frolic in the spotlight. Once she's hungry again she'll unclench the jaw that is her insurmountable talent and beauty and masticate your faves like the tofurkey leftovers that they are.

Until then, relish in the calm, but forget not the inevitable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom