• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAFPOP |OT8| Don't Forget the self-clockiesT of 'em all_

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
"I've got a message for pop princess Justin Beaver,"

Drag it Australian Mayor!
ibxhkaxzTmufQg.gif

Should be pretty festive. Mary J. and Mariah should sing together tho.
52b0f867.gif
52b0f867.gif

You all better tune in.

tumblr_lyfvz4UByA1r9l0feo1_250.gif
tumblr_lyfvz4UByA1r9l0feo2_250.gif
Leona's performing too. Just arrived in NYC <3

Bak3ZJxIIAAXybi.jpg

No coincidence that for her GRAND RETURN to America, she's sporting the same Spirit-era curls that propelled her to stateside slaydom. Recapture that dominance, girl

In other news, KellEGEND ClarkSUS once again stans Leona's immaculate vocals:

5C0O8.png

Now I know why I have never uttered a foul word about ha. Kelly and Leona, the holy duumvirate of flawless talent show winners

5C12q.png

So you actually confirm this is a flop? >.> I was just asking.

Of course, it's not surprising given the timeslot and content (a Muppets show airing later in the prime time makes no sense for the demographic it's supposed to attract, + not too many people know that Gaga released a new album recently), but still disappointing considering how huge Gaga's brand is. Just another botched opportunity for the era. I ain't mad though.

Touchdown said:
I'm still surprised at her sales. Maybe Applause was released too early before the album came out? I think timing had a lot to do with it.

1) Poor lead single choice: Was stacked against a much safer and more radio-friendly song that showcased Katy Perry's appeal, whereas Applause didn't do the same for Gaga. Not signature Gaga, nor signature radio.

2) Second single released too late: If Venus had released on time and with a video paired with it a week later, I can guarantee it would have done very well. That was exactly when Applause started clicking with listeners, and Gaga's radio capital started getting bigger. Instead she stalled, released DWUW without a big radio push, and still hasn't released a music video, which in Gaga world is big currency. Gaga's videos sell her songs more than her songs sell her songs.

3) US promo push started both too early AND too late: The VMAs was decent exposure, though it didn't usher in a new Gaga age like her past performances had. Instead it was a redux, which appealed to fans and to those who have watched her trajectory, but for those looking for new interesting music, it was a bust. She waited too long before coming back to promote DWUW via SNL and the AMAs, which didn't get a big enough push because her momentum had slowed to a halt previously, and there was no music video to give the song a necessary push. SNL and the AMAs gave her great exposure, but did more for her as a cultural figure than a person selling music. Sales stalled because of it.

4) In all, poor planning: It should have been Venus, then Gypsy. Gypsy would already be on its way down from peak position at this point, letting her ride that out and then releasing Dope in mid December. OH WELL

Vazra

In all, poor singles choices: It should have been Venus, then Gypsy. Gypsy would already be on its way down from peak position at this point, letting her ride that out and then releasing Dope in mid December. OH WELL

Agree with everything except this. I think DWYW works as a single but it was damaged by Applause and agree Gypsy could work pretty well for her. Venus I don't really see it working as a single as it would been seen more as more wacky tacky Gaga wank.

Why am I the only one who sees the missed smash potential of leading with G.U.Y.? It's the only track that even comes close to replicating the infectious hook-driven madness of her debut era.

It's like LoveGame on finely polished steroids.

ibe1NVgRKvxgP0.gif

Agree with everything except this. I think DWYW works as a single but it was damaged by Applause and agree Gypsy could work pretty well for her. Venus I don't really see it working as a single as it would been seen more as more wacky tacky Gaga wank.

Wacky Tacky Gaga Wank would have done well for her in August. She and Katy were going to be compared either way, and people were relying on Gaga's release to be crazy, shocking and goofy. Applause simply wasn't, and the verses seemed too convoluted and "serious" to be taken with a tongue in a cheek. Roar did well for Katy's image, but Applause didn't sell Gaga's brand or music that well. Venus is signature Gaga, and pitting that against Roar would have been a great point about what makes Gaga stand out. It would have smashed. Gypsy would then be released to bring her crazy back down to earth.

Zutroy

Has this Gaga picture been posted yet? Not even sure if it's allowed, but it could be classed as art.

[E] Removed to be on the safe side. Go to DigitalSpy to see it.

Vazra

Wacky Tacky Gaga Wank would have done well for her in August. She and Katy were going to be compared either way, and people were relying on Gaga's release to be crazy, shocking and goofy. Applause simply wasn't, and the verses seemed too convoluted and "serious" to be taken with a tongue in a cheek. Roar did well for Katy's image, but Applause didn't sell Gaga's brand or music that well. Venus is signature Gaga, and pitting that against Roar would have been a great point about what makes Gaga stand out. It would have smashed. Gypsy would then be released to bring her crazy back down to earth.

I think her VMA performance was still Wacky Tacky Gaga Wank that should have helped her but it didnt. The thing is that the music itself wasn't of the same caliber of her previous outputs including some of BTW era. As much as I like to trash Gaga her Fame/ Fame Monster era was unstoppable and flawless *Some cracks seen near the end of The Fame Monster era that lead to BTW*

Yeah, he should take it down. Even though he didn't image tag it and gave a warning. And it's not an erotic nude or anything. But I don't want this thread to get deleted again.

Then again, Google probably won't care because it's a naked woman. #TheOpressionIsReal

I think her VMA performance was still Wacky Tacky Gaga Wank that should have helped her but it didnt.

It was wacky but not new wacky. Venus is a fresh elevation of her sound and it has the kind of newness to remind the public of why Gaga stands on her own in the pop scene, and is a strong reminder of her past success without having people say "oh this isn't as good as Bad Romance." Venus is good enough to be compared to Bad Romance but not derivative enough for people to want to trash it in Bad Romance's favor (see: Judas).

The thing is that the music itself wasn't of the same caliber of her previous outputs including some of BTW era. As much as I like to trash Gaga her Fame/ Fame Monster era was unstoppable and flawless *Some cracks seen near the end of The Fame Monster era that lead to BTW*

I don't agree with this at all. The success of the Fame Monster is highly contextual; the music sounded very fresh and the certain flavor that now defines her music was pretty new at the time. Bad Romance has been topped by her musically, several times actually. But no song of hers has hit the zeitgeist as high as Bad Romance because that song's impact was heavily based on timing. Gaga's success was floating in a vacuum until then, and once Bad Romance came out it was a good enough lead-up for her to validate that success, and because of that she became a legit musical force. But I do think that Born This Way and ARTPOP are better albums than The Fame Monster (both as a sum of parts and as a collection of parts), and I think the highs on Born This Way and ARTPOP kick TFM's out of the water personally. That's my opinion as someone who listens to her entire discography pretty much on the reg, but I know that very few people will agree with me, and that's because all her work is derivative of the same sound that BR showcases. Bad Romance IS her sound, but it's not her best sound. Not in the slightest.

ARTPOP's blessing and curse is that it seals in Gaga's musical niche and ties her entire discography together. The problem was that she positioned herself as someone who's so full of surprises at every turn that people would NEVER have expected her to release straightforward pop music anymore. That's exactly what she did with ARTPOP, and it was influenced by the fact that people turned against her with Born This Way, so she decided to go back to basics and release something more digestible, more signature. But the public's image of her has become so far gone that she won't be getting the time of day unless she genuinely catches people off guard at this point. Venus would have done that. Applause didn't.

Wrecking Ball is the better song.... so there is that.

Also of note:

(Also of note: Effective last week, the methodology for the Hot 100, along with Billboard's genre hybrid songs charts, has changed slightly to rebalance desired chart ratios for sales, airplay and streaming. With streaming usage rising and new streaming services recently added to the Hot 100's data feed, the streaming portion of the chart has been at or above its desired average ratio in recent weeks. Such adjustments to these multi-data pool charts are common, and, for example, were implemented on the Hot 100 on occasions where download sales had increased exponentially.)

botty

Banned
Have you seen the movie? He really is amazing in it.

Unfortunately I have not. I had plans to see it at a special screening where he was in attendance, but of course it fell on a monday when I am most busy. I'll most likely end up seeing it once my semester ends next week! Glad you liked it though *.* Now check out his beautiful music.

botty

Banned
Not Legend X giving epic their first top 10 hit in three years with her smash hit "Slay Everything." Who else but the Legendary Queen?

ahh.gif

But she is a flop.... but she is irrelevant

I can't

Undeniable power. Seethe.

iJxRXNBurXy9.gif

botty

Banned
Say Something is great.

It is a shame that Xtina felt the need to buy/steal her spot at as a headliner on the track.

Seethe a bit. Xtina is the one who heard the song and helped this group gain recognition. If she did not sing on the song no one would even care about it. Is it really stealing if all she did was help put more coins into these people's pockets?

Seethe a bit. Xtina is the one who heard the song and helped this group gain recognition. If she did not sing on the song no one would even care about it. Is it really stealing if all she did was help put more coins into these people's pockets?

Promoting a song gives you the right to a headline spot huh?

I don't see how how big her name is (which is the main thing the track has going for it) has anything to do with deserving a spot as a lead.

Your last sentence pretty much implies that she purchased the spot as well.

Touchdown

Banned

Go In.

iJP1s6k1T3jEG.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom