• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAFPOP |OT8| Don't Forget the self-clockiesT of 'em all_

Status
Not open for further replies.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Bey is front page news on the guardian for singlehandedly changing pop music
kiii

Seethe on, ye lessors, and despair.

Mau ®

Although I'm gonna kii the minute this sells more than ARTPOP, PRISM and any other pop release on their first week.

Ya'll know it might just do that.

Mumei

Not Beyoncé releasing an album after I get off the computer last night.
Not me having to wait another two and a half hours before I get a chance to even listen to part of it.
Not me having to wait another five hours after that to finish listening to it.

>_<

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Mau ®;93567801 said:
Although I'm gonna kii the minute this sells more than ARTPOP, PRISM and any other pop release on their first week.

Ya'll know it might just do that.

If it outsells them with two(?) days sales I would be so impressed
Unlikely though with it being itunes exclusive

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
http://www.theguardian.com/music/2013/dec/13/beyonce-new-album-revolution-pr

Beyoncé's new album and the revolution in PR

Whirring away and spurting out glossy videos, brand partnerships and cod-viral 'content' is a PR machine that makes pop music tick. Journalists – and, subsequently, audiences — will be submitted to a Chinese water torture of news tidbits: album announcement, teaser video, tracklisting announcement, collaboration with mobile phone company that the artist talks up as being profoundly important as it allows them to connect with their fans... and that can all be before a note of music is heard by anyone.

Detonating this colossally tedious business today is Beyoncé, marching straight into the digital market square and laying out her wares. Her new self-titled album was released straight to iTunes with none of the PR rigmarole outlined above, and it is as immediate an experience as our highly mediated modern lives allow. Beyoncé herself is exasperated with the cacophonous street-hawking in today's music, saying she's "bored" with the usual processes and that "there's so much that gets between the music, the artist and the fans."

I agree tbh, I hope that the basic lessers planning to release an album next year, in that post-12/13 world, have got something more interesting up their sleeves than the usual rigmarole of PR tours, Xfactor appearances and single releases.

Mau ®

If it outsells them with two(?) days sales I would be so impressed
Unlikely though with it being itunes exclusive

I think the BB200 cut off is on Tuesday's. She'll have like 5 days of sales.

The press & word of mouth will be off the hook. I can see it happening.

Majmun

Not me having to wait another two and a half hours before I get a chance to even listen to part of it.

>_<

I only listened to Pretty Hurts and I was slain. I'll listen to the rest once I'm home. Which is 4 hours away

Let us seethe together T_T

Fey

Banned
I have a final right now so I haven't heard it either. ;____;

I've never been excited to hear a Beyonce album. ;____;

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Mau ®;93568225 said:
I think the BB200 cut off is on Tuesday's. She'll have like 5 days of sales.

The press & word of mouth will be off the hook. I can see it happening.

Oh then she is within a chance. The hype is there and the album is great so it will be nothing but positivity for her

Flawless is indeed FLAWLESS. Beyonce has done a Sharkeisha and punched every bitch out of the game while they weren't looking.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
There's not many songs on here I'm sure would be great singles, but I'm thinking XO?

[edit] ***Flawless is the iconic feminist anthem for the post-12/13 world.

These videos are just so iconic.

And I agree with DMJ. I do think Rihanna has something to do with Bey's new direction. Not just in the visual/sound (not that Rihanna pioneered any of it, but she took the lion's share of that aesthetic in the popular space for the past three years), but in the way she dropped the album, and everything with it, without any PR deals, radio promotion or a hype train. She thinks this whole conventional process is basic, and she's proving a point with it.

Let's be real, who else in the pop game would be ambitious enough and fearless enough to pull this? Like who's honestly ballsy enough to go straight to their audience and skip the rest?

I guess the question should be: Who else in the pop game has SO much money that even if she didn't make a penny off of a new album she'll still sleep like a baby

True diva.

Zutroy

Listened through the whole thing once while walking the dog. It really is an excellent album, very cohesive and an amazing achievement managing to just release it like that without any leaks.

I also agree with what others have mentioned though that it'll probably be front loaded since everything is now out there, and also nothing really stood out as singles that would set the charts on fire (maybe XO?).

cory64

This is not a trend tho, there's no industry story here. If everyone had surprise releases they would eventually go back to promo schedules to stand out. Nothing can replace a flawlessly executed era.

I applaud her for taking a different strategy to get different results, but was this out of fear or genius? I mean with all the rumblings about the problems with it earlier in the year (the Diplo quotes, etc), SOMETHING caused her to do this.

But bless her for not phoning in the music (or so I'm assuming).

It's true, Rihanna could never do this, unless it was a special reggae album or something. And I wouldn't want her to. I'd be ecstatic as hell if it happened, but Rihanna's just not that kind of artist.

I'm on Partition right now and I think that Bey just stealth released the best album of all the pop girls. This is seriously some next level music.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I'm on Partition right now and I think that Bey just stealth released the best album of all the pop girls. This is seriously some next level music.
It's not even a question. This is transcendentally better than any album released by a major pop gerl in years.

Trigger

>_<

I only listened to Pretty Hurts and I was slain. I'll listen to the rest once I'm home. Which is 4 hours away

Let us seethe together T_T

The wait will be worth it.

Wilsongt

Partition... Oh my god...

Beyonce... If I were straight, you would be the girl I lick.

Fanning-my-vagina-glee.gif

Satch

Banned
Everyone knows that album by that song. Sit.
Facts are facts and yall gone learn today

You WILL stan the Lord Beysus Giselle Knowles-Christ from this day forward and you WILL know the names of her albums so you can CORRECTLY SMITE her naysayers.

To do anything less than to know her solo debut by its ONE TRUE NAME? That she doesnt send lightning down to strike your home and fan the resultant flames that would surely raze all you know is a courtesy that not many gods would spare. Tread lightly, cunt, for your wig will easily be lifted by harsher winds and creole voodoo.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Facts are facts and yall gone learn today

You WILL stan the Lord Beysus Giselle Knowles-Christ from this day forward and you WILL know the names of her albums so you can CORRECTLY SMITE her naysayers.

To do anything less than to know her solo debut by its ONE TRUE NAME? That she doesnt send lightning down to strike your home and fan the resultant flames that would surely raze all you know is a courtesy that not many gods would spare. Tread lightly, cunt, for your wig will easily be lifted by harsher winds and creole voodoo.

Why come for me when you could go for the people who were dragging her to the pits before this surprise release. Tell em how they embraced the bleach and choked on it girl.

Satch

Banned
Im only coming for people that miss the mark on the queen in a post BEYONCE world

This is like the book of revelations... All prior sins are wiped away and the world has been reborn with new expectations... A clean slate.

We have ascended. This is the dawn of a new day.

Also Bey betta stan Wonder Woman!!!!!!!!

Tell me the beginning of Haunted doesn't give you a religious experience. I was crying, shaking and had to stop as the song was too much for me. That song gives so much life... The production on that song is Next Gen...

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Bey is all over the front covers of the London dailys

When are your faves going to be front page news just by releasing an album?

N-E-V-E-R

You know, now that Bey is out... I don't feel malicious anymore. You know what.. I can finally say I like Rihanna. She did do some inspiring to the Queen and I thank her. Sometimes the student can teach the teacher.

But Bey is still your maker

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom