• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF's iOS Weekly Challenge 8: - SUPER HEXAGON - "You're Already Dead"

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
this game is AWESOME. I hope you guys join us but I have to warn you... it's very, very addicting. We're talking Breakin Bad levels here, lol!

This is a sneak peak of the

DAY1 TOP10 [partial results, 30 partecipants so far]

1) The_Darkest_Red [True Score: 390"]
EGj0OSF.jpg

Dash Kappei

Btw, as I was saying before sometimes scores are iffy and get fixed in the end,in a few cases it,s showing the ALL TIME BEST instead of the best weekly score, case in point:

The_Darkest_Red's #1 440.42" highscore isn't valid.

Don't worry, as usual I've registered every all time best for the partecipants so any non-legit score (not earned during the week of the challenge) won't count.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Ugh, should change my game centre name to gaf name :/

Aiming for top5

Pachimari

I sent you a request Dash Kappei and deleted it again I think, because I just have to make sure it's not my real name on my GC tomorrow. But I'll enter the competition tomorrow. :)

Timeless

I like the Steam version a lot more than the iOS game. My problem with playing on iOS is that if you rest your fingers on the screen, there's no way to distinguish that from pressing the left or right half of the screen. On PC, I can rest my fingers on the arrow keys and press them as appropriate. I don't have to hoverhand like a socially awkward dude at his first cosplay convention.

Does anyone else play the Steam version? Add me for some competition.

I'm no match for some of you!

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
It's easy! I've wrote an how-to FAQ back in the day and you can find it in Tunesmith's OP of the monthly iOS gaming OT
The method is slightly changed now, you have to go to appleid.apple.com and log in there and change the Your Name field. (GC app and everywhere else redirects there). But yeah, very easy still.

Q - How do I hide my Real Name on Game Center?
A - Your real first and last name (taken from your Apple ID) will be shown to your GC friends. If you value that information and want GAF's leaderboards to show your GAF nickname instead, here's how you do it:
  • Go to http://appleid.apple.com and log in with your Apple ID details via "Manage your Apple ID".
  • In the "Name, ID and Email Addresses" section, click Edit on the Your Name field at the top.
  • Change you First and Last name (you must enter both) to whatever you like (e.g. First Name: Tunesmith, Last Name: GAF)
Done, now that's who you're going to be listed as on your friend's Game Center leaderboards. This will affect Game Center *and* your Apple ID. If it's the same account you use for App Store/iTunes, you will still be able to use it for iTunes/App Store's purchases (you can still buy whatever you want like you could before) *BUT* in the receipt it'll show your nickname or whatever you chose as First Name and Last Name when you changed those fields. The first time you will use the modified account on App Store/iTunes, you will be asked to verify the account by re-entering the 3 digits code of the credit card's CCV security code (if you make your purchases using a credit card).

AngryMoth

265. Still a depressingly long way from catching wario. Hyper hexagon is by far the hardest stage for me, making it through 120 requires deep concentration!

Dash Kappei

You guys know anything I can do about my scoring issue? My all time high seems to be stuck as my weekly high...

You're one of the few where that happens unfortunately, since the daily/weekly leaderboards don't seem to work properly and your all time score was so high that it's unlikely you're going to beat it soon.
Others had the same problem but most of them have already beaten their previous highscore so it's a non-issue now.
As per the rules, just grab a screenshot of your scores this week and up them in here when it's an highscore.
You can also just write a post with the score too, just be sure to grab a screen and upload it before the competition ends to have it validated.

You're one of the few where that happens unfortunately, since the daily/weekly leaderboards don't seem to work properly and your all time score was so high that it's unlikely you're going to beat it soon.
Others had the same problem but most of them have already beaten their previous highscore so it's a non-issue now.
As per the rules, just grab a screenshot of your scores this week and up them in here when it's an highscore.
You can also just write a post with the score too, just be sure to grab a screen and upload it before the competition ends to have it validated.
Thanks, man. I don't know if I'll ever beat my high score so I guess I'll have to settle with screenshots for now.

Here's my best of the week, and the second is a picture I took beside my laptop's calendar of a different run just in case you want one with a verified date.

japtor

Lol, I was just calling the GAF troops to battle sending a challenge via mass-message :p
I got that today and was wondering what was going on then saw or remembered you do the little contests, and here I am. I will go for the title of King of the Scrubs, where I'm better than most people but still quite a ways off from the top guys.

Dash Kappei

We've just surpassed the 40 players milestone, good :)

This is a sneak peak of the

DAY2 TOP20 [partial results, 44 partecipants so far] sans the podium guys which I've removed on purpose :p

HnOiHma.jpg

This game is kicking my ass, I get to reach the 60” mark only to die and die again and again and again and...

AngryMoth

Dash you should probably go practise on hyper hexagon until you get good at it as it's a huge difficulty spike at 60 seconds. You will find it very tough to beat your score until you get comfortable with the harder levels.

Crossed the 300 barrier just now, podium is in sight...

Dash Kappei

Dash you should probably go practise on hyper hexagon until you get good at it as it's a huge difficulty spike at 60 seconds. You will find it very tough to beat your score until you get comfortable with the harder levels.

Crossed the 300 barrier just now, podium is in sight...

That's actually a good tip, will do

Hmm... that's devious. I wonder who sniped me... :p

:p

Protip: play while listening to Daft Punk's Contact.

image.jpg

Blasphemy! The soundtrack is the best Daft Punk/The Chemical Bros mix we'll never get

japtor

Damn I need another minute just to break into top 5 for now? Gonna need a hell of a run for that, although I guess not too impossible since Hyper Hexagoner is probably my best one.

Dash Kappei

Out of curiosity I've tried the game on a friend's 4S and later on iPad4 today and I instantly broke 100”. So much, much smoother than on iPad2/Mini, WTF :( I love the game, it's definitely pkayable but it can't be denied there's a big impact on perfomance: Cavanagh should have really optimized it better on older devices, imo

japtor

Heh I think the iPad mini is the best device for it (big screen but light enough to be comfortable playing a long time), but I haven't had any performance issues, not regularly at least. Maybe you have some background service sucking up cycles? I've had it play with a lower frame rate on my iPhone 5 now and then, which is a bit annoying considering it's pushing less pixels with a better GPU.

Edit...and now it's choppier on my iPad, doh.
Edit2 - killing other apps didn't do anything (by itself), but killing and relaunching Super Hexagon did the trick.

PFD

Yeah sometimes it chugs for a bit then goes back to normal on my ipad 4. Poor optimization.

I literally just finished getting my ass handed to me in Hexagonest and now I stumble upon this thread. It was fate.

Just sent a request.

MarkusRJR

Since there's no way I'm going to take any high scores I'm just gonna play it on my BlackBerry 10 phone rather than my iPod Touch. What're some tips you guys can give? I can't get more than 10-15 seconds (bought it a day or two ago).

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Since there's no way I'm going to take any high scores I'm just gonna play it on my BlackBerry 10 phone rather than my iPod Touch. What're some tips you guys can give? I can't get more than 10-15 seconds (bought it a day or two ago).

Once you figure out the different set patterns the game throws at you, it gets immensely easier.

AngryMoth

Wow I would have been so angry if I knew how close to 3rd I was when I got that score!

Is everyone ok with making this a humans only contest because The_Darkest_Red is clearly a robot :p

japtor

Pentagons keep killing me, I've just never had a handle on them. If I can get past them consistently again I can put up a better time but it's looking like a long shot right now.

japtor

i hate Squares, the timing needs to be so accurate :E
Hah yeah I had trouble with those for the longest time too, not just the timing but direction on some of them. At one point it just clicked and I'm fine with them now.

Then again the pentagons clicked at one point too but now that's gone.

All so very gone.

tops2

Neo Member
Haha..I still consistently get like 10-15 seconds most of the time.. I just get random bouts of going over 40 seconds. The insanity..but the stubborness in me keeps me going. ;-)

Top Bottom