• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF'S ultimate $500/£400/$650 CAD budget gaming rigs + bonus high end configs!

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy said:
What OS should i go for since Windows 7 is comin soon?

Use W7 RC for free for the time being. Silly paying for a MS OS that isn't W7 at this time. If you already have a copy of Windows to slap on it, fair enough, use that.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
169gsg4.jpg

So thats pretty much it, any changes or whatever, moneys not really a huge issue, postage might be a bitch :lol

Fredescu

Looks like a beast. I know you're a PS3 owner, so another $100 will get you a blu ray drive if you feel like watching them on your PC or something.

Edit: Oh, it looks like the heatsink comes with thermal compound so you could scratch that off your list if you wanted to. My Noctua didn't come with it, but it looks like they all do now.

169gsg4.jpg

So thats pretty much it, any changes or whatever, moneys not really a huge issue, postage might be a bitch :lol

Holy crap she's going to be a beast!

:lol :lol

Have fun, those dual 4890s will gobble up 1080p for breakfast. Be sure to buy Crysis Maximum Edition and download some custom configs to get better than very high settings, which your new rig should manage with just fine. :D

brain_stew said:
Use W7 RC for free for the time being. Silly paying for a MS OS that isn't W7 at this time. If you already have a copy of Windows to slap on it, fair enough, use that.

Can you explain to me how that works? I have a copy of XP I can transfer across, so should I do that to get it running, and then install Win 7 over it on my new pc? How about when the time comes for full retail release, do I have to pay full money for it or will it be discounted?

Saerk

169gsg4.jpg

Is that in canadian money or something? It seems overpriced.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

Aus dollars, we gets teh raped on everything :(

Anyways ordered and payed for :D the DVD drive showed up as $0.00 when i ordered, tried refreshing and re-ordering still $0, see what they will do. $2540 all up with postage n GST n all that crap.

Yay im getting a new PC! the one im on cost $250 lol.

Thanks for the help as well everybody who helped.

Yeh Aus prices suck. Take my MB for example, the 790x ud4, 110 at Newegg, which converts to 136 AUD, yet the cheapest I could find it was at the $170 AUD mark. Or my CPU, the Phenom II X4 Black, 189.99 on Newegg which equals 236 AUD. The cheapest I seen it for was $260 AUD, with most sitting at the $290 mark. We pay out of our asses for parts lol.

pseudocaesar said:
Can you explain to me how that works? I have a copy of XP I can transfer across, so should I do that to get it running, and then install Win 7 over it on my new pc? How about when the time comes for full retail release, do I have to pay full money for it or will it be discounted?

Well the upgrade version of W7 is available for preorder right now for just $50, so you'd install your copy of XP now, then when your copy of W7 arrives it'll verify your XP install is legit and let you do a clean install of W7.

pseudocaesar said:
Yeh Aus prices suck. Take my MB for example, the 790x ud4, 110 at Newegg, which converts to 136 AUD, yet the cheapest I could find it was at the $170 AUD mark. Or my CPU, the Phenom II X4 Black, 189.99 on Newegg which equals 236 AUD. The cheapest I seen it for was $260 AUD, with most sitting at the $290 mark. We pay out of our asses for parts lol.

Do Aus prices not include sales tax/VAT in with the price though (US prices don't)? The US always pays less for parts what with it being the biggest single market and all, the Aus prices seem pretty in line with UK prices and that's with our currency being at a historically quite low value.

Mareg

edited.... was in AUS.... == TEH ripped.

Hey brain_stew, great thread. You're making me rethink my entire purchase. Either way, i had a quick question. I was thinking about holding off a new monitor purchase as i thought i dont entirely NEED it, and would rather upgrade at another time instead.

That said, my current monitor is a 19" 1440x900 res monitor. Is it possible to force a higher resolution, say, 1680x1050? Sorry if this is a noobish question, i just really need to know. I read around on Google, and read somewhere that it might be possible through the graphics card? I just thought i would ask to be sure.

If you don't know, i guess i'll ask somewhere else. Thanks a lot, and good job on the thread!

edit. Oh and another quick question... I was going to get a Phenom II x3 720 BE and DDR3-1600 RAM with an HD4850, but you recommended an X2 550 BE with DRR2-800. Would it be smarter to go with the X2?

Mareg

FromTheFuture said:
That said, my current monitor is a 19" 1440x900 res monitor. Is it possible to force a higher resolution, say, 1680x1050? Sorry if this is a noobish question, i just really need to know. I read around on Google, and read somewhere that it might be possible through the graphics card? I just thought i would ask to be sure.

Pretty sure you can't force higher resolutions then native on LCD screens.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

Mareg said:
Alright, I'm assuming this is in Canadian funds... if not its even worst.
Basically, your getting totally ripped off.

Australian as said before. Could have got it cheaper using a different supplier as well but they dont do postage :/

Fredescu

brain_stew said:
Do Aus prices not include sales tax/VAT in with the price though (US prices don't)? The US always pays less for parts what with it being the biggest single market and all, the Aus prices seem pretty in line with UK prices and that's with our currency being at a historically quite low value.
Our VAT equivalent is GST and it's usually included. You can see "All prices include GST" on the bottom right hand corner of pccasegear.com.

Mareg said:
Alright, I'm assuming this is in Canadian funds... if not its even worst.
Basically, your getting totally ripped off
Read the thread?

brain_stew said:

Yeh, we have a 10% Goods and Services tax flat across the board. I love it, some still dislike it, but all prices legally must be quoted as GST inclusive.

FromTheFuture said:
Hey brain_stew, great thread. You're making me rethink my entire purchase. Either way, i had a quick question. I was thinking about holding off a new monitor purchase as i thought i dont entirely NEED it, and would rather upgrade at another time instead.

If you don't know, i guess i'll ask somewhere else. Thanks a lot, and good job on the thread!

edit. Oh and another quick question... I was going to get a Phenom II x3 720 BE and DDR3-1600 RAM with an HD4850, but you recommended an X2 550 BE with DRR2-800. Would it be smarter to go with the X2?

If you can afford the X3 go for it, especially if you want to look into overclocking. Why the super expensive RAM? Generally going with DDR2 RAM is much cheaper and offers basically the same performance but if you're in the US this combo makes the DDR3 platform worth it:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.205337

But either way, no need to get top of the line DDR3, you won't notice the difference. Just get this pack:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231180

Performance will be identical compared to the expensive stuff you were going to buy.

On the GPU side, you'd be well served by bumping up to a 4870 1GB for $140, its well worth it:

or

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150394

or a GTX 260 if you don't mind rebates:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814143140

What exactly are you asking with regards to the monitor? If you managed to force a higher resolution you'd be scrolling around to see all of your desktop. Regardless the leap from a 19" 1440x900 monitor to a 23" 1080p monitor is huge and for less than $200 I highly recommend it. Make sure you get one of the faster graphics cards (that $140 4870 1GB is a steal) if you do make the switch.

Are you talking about ingame? You can use a technique called supersampling to render games at a higher than native resolution than your panel, and they'll be downscaled for super IQ but this is a hge resource hog and only really useful in old games and can only be forced with Nvidia cards afaik.

I'd have used that mobo/CPU/RAM combo in the $500 rig but I just couldn't get it to come in on budget so I went the X2 550 route, its a great deal if you can stretch to it.

God damnit everything I add to these builds goes out of stock within a couple of days at most!! :lol

I need to start charging these retailers commision!! I'd be minted! :lol :lol

Going to have to make some alterations to the US build because of it.

****GPU in US config Switched to the $140 HIS HD 4870 1GB.***

The price of the old GPU shot up in price by $50 (no doubt due to increased demand because of this thread) and I really didn't want to give the US config a downgrade. So its a little bit more over budget than I would have liked but you also get a serious GPU upgrade thrown into the mix as well making it a pretty damn decent 1080p rig now even if that is above and beyond the initial goal.

The free game and $10 rebate mean its not much over budget in reality anyway, so its a fair trade off.

brain_stew said:
If you can afford the X3 go for it, especially if you want to look into overclocking. Why the super expensive RAM? Generally going with DDR2 RAM is much cheaper and offers basically the same performance but if you're in the US this combo makes the DDR3 platform worth it:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.205337

But either way, no need to get top of the line DDR3, you won't notice the difference. Just get this pack:

Performance will be identical compared to the expensive stuff you were going to buy.

On the GPU side, you'd be well served by bumping up to a 4870 1GB for $140, its well worth it:

or

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150394

or a GTX 260 if you don't mind rebates:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814143140

What exactly are you asking with regards to the monitor? If you managed to force a higher resolution you'd be scrolling around to see all of your desktop. Regardless the leap from a 19" 1440x900 monitor to a 23" 1080p monitor is huge and for less than $200 I highly recommend it. Make sure you get one of the faster graphics cards (that $140 4870 1GB is a steal) if you do make the switch.

Are you talking about ingame? You can use a technique called supersampling to render games at a higher than native resolution than your panel, and they'll be downscaled for super IQ but this is a hge resource hog and only really useful in old games and can only be forced with Nvidia cards afaik.

I'd have used that mobo/CPU/RAM combo in the $500 rig but I just couldn't get it to come in on budget so I went the X2 550 route, its a great deal if you can stretch to it.
Well cheaper will definitely be better for me, that's why I'm wondering if the X3 is exactly necessary, or if it will be fine if i downgrade to the X2. Also, the DDR3-1600 and X3 was recommended to me by you :lol. It was in the 'I need a new PC 2009' thread, but you probably wouldn't remember individual cases.

Also i was talking about out-of-game but yeah i guess that isn't going to work out.

FromTheFuture said:
Well cheaper will definitely be better for me, that's why I'm wondering if the X3 is exactly necessary, or if it will be fine if i downgrade to the X2. Also, the DDR3-1600 and X3 was recommended to me by you :lol. It was in the 'I need a new PC 2009' thread, but you probably wouldn't remember individual cases.

Also i was talking about out-of-game but yeah i guess that isn't going to work out.

Oh it must have been some ram on a good deal, you sure it was 1600mhz RAM? Which ram specifically was it, if its a similar price, fair enough but just don't overpay for RAM is the general point, fast RAM makes very little difference.

What are your main uses for the PC?#

Edit: It was this stuff wasn't it?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231193

Yeah that's just as cheap as any other DDR3 RAM and G.Skill are great so you're not overpaying for speed which is great, so if you go the DDR3 route then, that is indeed the RAM youw ant.

Yoboman

Anyways ordered and payed for :D the DVD drive showed up as $0.00 when i ordered, tried refreshing and re-ordering still $0, see what they will do. $2540 all up with postage n GST n all that crap.

I bought all my parts from America, off Newegg just recently with the help of a reshipping company called PriceUSA. Although shipping was a bitch, it costed me ALOT less than I would've paid otherwise

My specs:
Corei7 920
ASUS RAMPAGE II Gene mobo
EVGA GeForce GTX 260
6GB DDR3 RAM
Western Dig Caviar Black 1TB HDD
CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W
Scythe 120mm case fan
Xigmatek CPU Cooler
and an Antec Spot cooler

Not including shipping I ended up paying roughly AUD$1400 including the shipping and 10% payment for the reshippers. If you want a direct comparison, I paid about $120 for the shipping. Maybe a bit more. So it all came under $1300 Aussie.

I kept the case ordered from here though cause the small price difference was outweighed by shipping cost of a heavy item. I think monitors are considerably cheaper in the US though (haven't checked).

Just maybe something to consider before you bludgeon your credit card with Aussie prices

Yoboman

Ah well :(

Oh I think i remember what it was... There was the X3 720 and an Asus mobo as a combo deal and the mobo only allowed for DDR3. Or atleast i think that is what it was. I don't exactly remember which one it was, I'm not at my PC although it should still be in the PC thread.

Oh, here's the CPU/mobo http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.205337

Either way, I'd be using the PC for gaming, Photoshop sessions, perhaps video and music editing but nothing too major, or atleast i think so. It's just difficult to gauge the performance of each CPU relative to one another so it's kind of hard for me to choose.

FromTheFuture said:
Oh I think i remember what it was... There was the X3 720 and an Asus mobo as a combo deal and the mobo only allowed for DDR3. Or atleast i think that is what it was. I don't exactly remember which one it was, I'm not at my PC although it should still be in the PC thread.

Oh, here's the CPU/mobo http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.205337

Either way, I'd be using the PC for gaming, Photoshop sessions, perhaps video and music editing but nothing too major, or atleast i think so. It's just difficult to gauge the performance of each CPU relative to one another so it's kind of hard for me to choose.

I'd get the X3 then, a lot of those tasks will use the extra core. The price difference isn't that extreme either and you get a nicer motherboard thrown in.

Petrie

Banned
Looking for a little advice. I built my first rig back in November with a combination of Gaf/CAG assistance. Using the following parts:

LITE-ON 20X DVD±R DVD Burner Black IDE Model DH-20A4P-04 - OEM

CORSAIR XMS2 DHX 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X4096-6400C4DHX - Retail

Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

Western Digital Caviar Green WD10EACS 1TB SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

EVGA 01G-P3-N959-TR GeForce 9500 GT 1GB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail

ASUS P5Q Pro LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

Intel Pentium E5200 Wolfdale 2.5GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80571E5200 - Retail

OCZ StealthXStream OCZ500SXS 500W ATX12V / EPS12V Active PFC Power Supply - Retail​

I use this primarily as a media center, and for occasionally gaming (until Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3, though I have become a bit more interested in PC gaming, especially seeing the slick media centers in the other thread, having all my games in one place is very appealing I must say).

Anyways, my question is based on current pricing, are there any particular upgrades one would recommend I make in this current market? I'm not all that upset I can't run Crysis at high settings (it runs, but like crap). If there's any budget upgrades I could make to increase performance, I figured now would be the time to ask while things remain cheap. Or perhaps I'm set for what I'm looking for at the moment? I don't keep up too well on the PC scene, mostly because GAF is my primary source of gaming information nowadays, and there isn't much of a PC community here.

Yoboman

Anyway, I noticed a lot of Aussies in this thread, so I'm glad I posted that. Anyone else who has looked at Aussie prices and balked. I've gone to upgrade so many times and just walked away unsatisfied with the build I was making for my budget or the price I'd have to pay for what I wanted. I'm glad I ran into the site, it saved me almost a good grand

Petrie said:
Looking for a little advice. I built my first rig back in November with a combination of Gaf/CAG assistance. Using the following parts:

LITE-ON 20X DVD±R DVD Burner Black IDE Model DH-20A4P-04 - OEM

CORSAIR XMS2 DHX 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X4096-6400C4DHX - Retail

Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

Western Digital Caviar Green WD10EACS 1TB SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

EVGA 01G-P3-N959-TR GeForce 9500 GT 1GB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail

ASUS P5Q Pro LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

Intel Pentium E5200 Wolfdale 2.5GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80571E5200 - Retail

OCZ StealthXStream OCZ500SXS 500W ATX12V / EPS12V Active PFC Power Supply - Retail​

I use this primarily as a media center, and for occasionally gaming (until Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3, though I have become a bit more interested in PC gaming, especially seeing the slick media centers in the other thread, having all my games in one place is very appealing I must say).

Anyways, my question is based on current pricing, are there any particular upgrades one would recommend I make in this current market? I'm not all that upset I can't run Crysis at high settings (it runs, but like crap). If there's any budget upgrades I could make to increase performance, I figured now would be the time to ask while things remain cheap. Or perhaps I'm set for what I'm looking for at the moment? I don't keep up too well on the PC scene, mostly because GAF is my primary source of gaming information nowadays, and there isn't much of a PC community here.

GPUs have dropped an enourmous amount since you put that rig together. A 4870 1GB would give you around 4x the framerate in games (at a low estimate) for $140, its a really good cost effective upgrade. here.

That E5200 is a great little CPU (I have one myself) but it only really shows off its true potential once overclocked. Pick up this for $20 and do a little research (I recommend heading over to overclock.net) and you should get it running at 3.4ghz or above in no time.

For $160, you'll have made one serious upgrade, performance accross the board (and particularly in games) will be way up. You'd be totally ready to play both Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3 at max/high settings with those small adjustments.

Yoboman said:
Anyway, I noticed a lot of Aussies in this thread, so I'm glad I posted that. Anyone else who has looked at Aussie prices and balked. I've gone to upgrade so many times and just walked away unsatisfied with the build I was making for my budget or the price I'd have to pay for what I wanted. I'm glad I ran into the site, it saved me almost a good grand

What the situation with customs/import duty? No way you'd be able to get an order like that past UK customs, and they'd slap a huge charge on top, so it just wouldn't be worth it over here.

Yoboman

brain_stew said:
What the situation with customs/import duty? No way you'd be able to get an order like that past UK customs, and they'd slap a huge charge on top, so it just wouldn't be worth it over here.
I haven't looked into UK much, I know Aussies can import similarly from the UK. I don't know about UK GAF'ers importing stuff to be totally honest. I'm sure such sites exist.

There were no extra charges slapped on my stuff, just a 5% fee for PriceUSA and shipping fees (with no extra costs, at this site). Even with that, it came in so much lower than what I'd compared to in Australian sites it's quite amazing.

Newegg is amazingly cheap though which is where the point of difference really is. You can use the rebates with this particular site too, though they take awhile to process.

Maybe something to put in the front post, if you were adding an Aussie section at all. We can just work from your Newegg builds

Here is the import rates:
http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=5549

I must've got lucky, I ordered my stuff mostly bit by bit. Shouldn't have to worry with your builds being at a good budget (well under $1000 where customs charges are applied).

Petrie

Banned
brain_stew said:
For $160, you'll have made one serious upgrade, performance accross the board (and particularly in games) will be way up. You'd be totally ready to play both Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3 at max/high settings with those small adjustments.

Do you think I'd be better served waiting it out until closer to those titles, considering that in reality those are the 2 games that will see most of my playtime? Otherwise it's TF2 and a few other games of that nature.

Fredescu

Yoboman said:
I bought all my parts from America, off Newegg just recently with the help of a reshipping company called PriceUSA. Although shipping was a bitch, it costed me ALOT less than I would've paid otherwise
I'm sure there would be problems ordering a whole build from there, but it looks awesome for smaller shipments. I've been thinking about getting a Q9550 and this looks like a good way to save a bit of money. Thanks for the link.

Petrie said:
Do you think I'd be better served waiting it out until closer to those titles, considering that in reality those are the 2 games that will see most of my playtime? Otherwise it's TF2 and a few other games of that nature.

Its upto you really, but a 4870 1GB is going to handle Starcraft 2 splendidly, it can even manage great performance out of Crysis at 1080p, so it won't have issue playing anything else that's on the horizon. TF2 will be much nicer in the short term and you get to really dig into PC gaming and stuff like Crysis before Starcraft 2 hits so there's not much to lose.

There's always a better deal on the horizon but its at the point now where hardware (and especially hardware capable of getting excellent performance from contemporary games) is the lowest its ever been historically so its hard to argue with the current value proposition. Either way, I'd definitely buy that cooler and get OCing now, for $20 its a no brainer really, the E5200 is notorious for being a great clocker, a 1ghz clockspeed boost for $20 can't be bad.

On the topic of hardware prices I was just randomly looking at the sort of prices old cards launched at, and found that just 3 years ago the 7600GS a decidely lower-midrange card, launched at the same price you'd be paying for that high end 4870 1GB, a card that will play all games at great settings at 1080p. The 7600GS in comparison played most games of 2005/6 at 1024x768 or so with medium settings. If that doesn't illustrate what a good deal the current crop of GPUs are, I don't know what will.

Yoboman

Fredescu said:
I'm sure there would be problems ordering a whole build from there, but it looks awesome for smaller shipments. I've been thinking about getting a Q9550 and this looks like a good way to save a bit of money. Thanks for the link.
I saved a lot of money, I'll probably use them for other purchases in the future as well. Though, yeah, you'll run into fees, you may run into custom fees as well but even then you're saving money

Sucks being an Aussie sometimes

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

Yoboman said:
Just maybe something to consider before you bludgeon your credit card with Aussie prices

Thanks anyways, will probly use something like that in future. Did some price comparisons on MSY and just checking a few things woulda saved a few hundred.. but no store near me and they dont post so meh.

Yazus

Is the LC Power PSU 600W Super Silent any good? It's cheap and its 600W...

Also how much my Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition will go up OCing? Around 4GHz? With a Antec Nine Hundred V2 (1 rear TriCool fan, 1 top "Big Boy" TriCool fan, 2 front fans) and an Arctic-Cooling CPU Freezer 64 LP cooling the ambient?

Does anyone have a good build for RPG's like oblivion, The Witcher and Drakensang.

I was planning on a X4 phenom oc to 3.2 to 3.8 GHz with an ATI HD 4890, but I dont like some of the CPU benchmarks in particular the less well known titles like witcher/drakensang

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/aid,6...enu=browser&image_id=868653&article_id=654228

http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,658399/PCGH-Tuning-The-Witcher-Enhanced-Edition/Practice/

also looks like Witcher prefers nvidia GPU

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3338&p=15

Does anyone have any advice? Would I be better off overclocking an i7 920? The money isnt an issue, though I want decent value. I would also like Crysis at 60fps, but that can wait until a future PC...

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
what is the default monitor resolution these days?

i want a good screen but don't understand why the resolutions are diff to standard 1080p etc.

M4A78-E 1 € 90.45 € 90.45

Amd PHENOM II X4 940 3.0GHZ BLACK SKT AM2+ 8MB 125W PIB 1 € 139.45 € 139.45

Samsung SH-S223F/BEWE 22x DVDRW SATA Writer Bulk Beige 1 € 15.99 € 15.99

CoolerMaster Centurion 5 Tower Case No PSU black + silver 1 € 41.13 € 41.13

WD 640GB 32MB 7200rpm 3.5inch SATA3.0 Caviar 1 € 53.40 € 53.40

Sapphire ATI HD4890 1GB GDDR5 HDTV 2xDVI HDMI PCIe 1 € 175.63 € 175.63

Coolermaster Real Power M620 1 € 66.34 € 66.34

Verzend/afhaal-kosten: € 5.84

Subtotaal: € 88.23

BTW (19%): € 11.76

Totaal: €699.99

Is what I ordered, RAM and CPU cooler coming seperately. Need a good screen for this though.

Leonsito

Just ordered:

Phenom II X2 550 Black Edition
Asus M4A78 PRO
2x2GB DDR2 800 Kingston
Sapphire HD4850
640GB WD SataII

Keyb + Mouse + Speakers + WiFi PCi Card + DVDRW + Case + Card Reader

Total ~500€

Monitor Samsung 933HD -> ~180€

It's a gift for my sister, I will mount everything this Friday, fuck yeah.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
cleveridea said:
Does anyone have a good build for RPG's like oblivion, The Witcher and Drakensang.

I was planning on a X4 phenom oc to 3.2 to 3.8 GHz with an ATI HD 4890, but I dont like some of the CPU benchmarks in particular the less well known titles like witcher/drakensang

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/aid,6...enu=browser&image_id=868653&article_id=654228

http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,658399/PCGH-Tuning-The-Witcher-Enhanced-Edition/Practice/

those benchmarks are with an 8800GTS and 2 gigs of ram, which your computer should definitely be spanking. I know it says that shouldn't be relevant and their benchmark only suggests that keeping your CPU constant and switching from an 8800GTS to a 4890 will only give you +4fps, but I bet you'll do a lot better.

cleveridea said:

also looks like Witcher prefers nvidia GPU

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3338&p=15

Does anyone have any advice? Would I be better off overclocking an i7 920? The money isnt an issue, though I want decent value. I would also like Crysis at 60fps, but that can wait until a future PC...
If you're buying a new PC, get a Phenom II. Those benchmarks are for the original Phenom, which is pretty crap. The Phenom II in the OP will be plenty capable for The Witcher (and Crysis, for that matter), especially if you overclock it.

And the 4890 should be fine for both those games as well.

Top Bottom