• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF'S ultimate $500/£400/$650 CAD budget gaming rigs + bonus high end configs!

*US config now includes the ASUS custom monster of a GPU*

143mf83.jpg

Detsuken

Just a question for the techies - What COMPUTER CPU is the Playstation 3's CELL CPU most equivalent to? I know, I know, apples and oranges, but since the ps3's gpu is an Nvidia 7 series, I'm curious. Brain-stew - camineet - anyone know? Just to have a rough idea of power I suppose, nothing more. Thanks!

Talos said:
Just a question for the techies - What COMPUTER CPU is the Playstation 3's CELL CPU most equivalent to? I know, I know, apples and oranges, but since the ps3's gpu is an Nvidia 7 series, I'm curious. Brain-stew - camineet - anyone know? Just to have a rough idea of power I suppose, nothing more. Thanks!

Its such a foreign architecture, you really can't just compare it like that. Totally down to the workload, really.

Chris R

So my brother is going to be looking to upgrade his gaming rig at the end of the summer, his current rig (as best I can remember it) is

- AMD 64 4600+, 2gb ram, 8800GTX 768MB, ect, ect.

I'm thinking he is going to basically need to upgrade everything but his harddrive :| Or does the 8800GTX still have enough legs to play for the next two years at semi-high resolutions (not 1080p)? I'm telling him to jump on a 4890 when he does upgrade, but he is trying to keep the price low, and if he has to get a new mobo/cpu/case/ram/card I don't know if he can at the performance he wants (he would also have to get Windows 7)

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
rhfb said:
So my brother is going to be looking to upgrade his gaming rig at the end of the summer, his current rig (as best I can remember it) is

- AMD 64 4600+, 2gb ram, 8800GTX 768MB, ect, ect.

I'm thinking he is going to basically need to upgrade everything but his harddrive :| Or does the 8800GTX still have enough legs to play for the next two years at semi-high resolutions (not 1080p)? I'm telling him to jump on a 4890 when he does upgrade, but he is trying to keep the price low, and if he has to get a new mobo/cpu/case/ram/card I don't know if he can at the performance he wants (he would also have to get Windows 7)
8800GTX is still a solid card no worries.

Malfunky

gais

I've been using the same mouse off and on for over 5 years. It just doesn't cut it anymore. Anybody have any mouse suggestions? No ridiculous prices, preferably wireless(can't stand the cord weighing down/dragging the front).

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Do we have an ultimate AUSgaf budget rig? I really need to get back into PC gaming... Stupid iMac.

Fredescu

Router said:
Do we have an ultimate AUSgaf budget rig? I really need to get back into PC gaming... Stupid iMac.
Using the components in the OP and http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php:

MBD $129 http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=138_803_808&products_id=11110
CPU $132 http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=187_345&products_id=11556
GPU $195 http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=193_686&products_id=10982
HDD $115 http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=210_268_344&products_id=8806
Case $110 http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=25_733_734&products_id=6754
PSU $145 http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=15_354&products_id=5158 (swapped in a Corsair as they dont have the Antec Basiq)
RAM $79 http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=186_216&products_id=8883

$905 all up. There are cheaper retailers (like MSY, use staticice.com if you want the absolute cheapest price per component) and I haven't adjusted the build for what's cheaper over here. It's a start though. Do you have a specific budget in mind?

Terrific thread. I wish the situation was like this a year ago.

I'm not yet ready for an upgrade but I'll probably go with a i7 and one of the next generation graphics cards whenever they come out.

Yazus

This thread inspired me to build my first PC, since my Motherboard totally rejected my HD4850 (pc doesnt boot because there isnt enough power for the Video Card and my Mobo isnt compatible with it...)
So I decided to give to my parents this pc (they use a 6 years old Acer lol) and to build a new one.

Tips would be much appriciated:

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-MA790XT-UD4P Socket:AM3 Chipset:AMD 790X ATX - 120€
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition 45nm 3Ghz Socket:AM2+ Cache:8 Mb - 180€
GPU: SAPPHIRE Radeon HD4850 512MB DDR2 RAM - 0€ (I already have this one, its new)
RAM: OCZ DIMM Gold XTC 2GB DDR3 1600Mhz x2 - 70€
Case: COOLERMASTER Elite 334 Black + 520W PSU - 55€
Case Fan: COOLERMASTER Hyper212 Blue LED Fan 120mm - 7€
CPU Fan: ARCTIC-COOLING CPU Freezer 64 LP - 17€
DVD-W: SAMSUNG DVD 22x Writer SATA Bulk Version - 20€
HDD: WESTERN DIGITAL Caviar Green Power 500 Gb SATA 7200 rpm - 50€

Total is: 519€.

GAF, am I forgetting something? I am a total newbie when comes to build a PC, and this is the first one. May I forgot something? Also do my components work ok togheter or are there some incompatibilities? I chose a AMD Motherboard, a AMD Processor (sounds like that Mobo only uses X3/X4 CPUs so I wanted to get a X4 Phenom II) and a ATI GPU.

Also are there some cheaper but equivalent components? It may be hard for you to find cheaper components since they may be cheaper for you (US/UK) but the price may be the same (or higher) here. Also promotions does not applies for the same reason.

FrankT

Alright I got the 4890 for $130 after rebates. Just too good to pass up and a heck of an upgrade for me to say the least.

Cheeto

Flying_Phoenix said:
Means you cannot gracefully update the OS. You need to install from scratch. All programs will have to be re-installed, settings restored, etc...but your data(pictures, music, files etc) will be preserved.

Cheeto said:
Means you cannot gracefully update the OS. You need to install from scratch. All programs will have to be re-installed, settings restored, etc...but your data(pictures, music, files etc) will be preserved.

I see. But what if my programs are on my 2nd Hard-Drive?

Also so that means I will have to reinstall my XP OS first or just install my Windows 7 OS?

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Fredescu said:

Nice. Thanks for that. I'm looking at spending around 700-800

Cheeto

Flying_Phoenix said:
I see. But what if my programs are on my 2nd Hard-Drive?

Also so that means I will have to reinstall my XP OS first or just install my Windows 7 OS?
Doesn't matter if installed programs are on another drive, there are still many hooks to the OS that won't be carried over if you do a clean install.

Depends if you still want XP. You can dual boot 32-bit XP and 64-bit Win7 no problem. No you shouldn't have to re-install XP.

Yazus said:
This thread inspired me to build my first PC, since my Motherboard totally rejected my HD4850 (pc doesnt boot because there isnt enough power for the Video Card and my Mobo isnt compatible with it...)
So I decided to give to my parents this pc (they use a 6 years old Acer lol) and to build a new one.

Tips would be much appriciated:

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-MA790XT-UD4P Socket:AM3 Chipset:AMD 790X ATX - 120€
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition 45nm 3Ghz Socket:AM2+ Cache:8 Mb - 180€
GPU: SAPPHIRE Radeon HD4850 512MB DDR2 RAM - 0€ (I already have this one, its new)
RAM: OCZ DIMM Gold XTC 2GB DDR3 1600Mhz x2 - 70€
HDD: WESTERN DIGITAL Caviar Green Power 500 Gb SATA 7200 rpm - 50€

Total is: 519€.

GAF, am I forgetting something? I am a total newbie when comes to build a PC, and this is the first one. May I forgot something? Also do my components work ok togheter or are there some incompatibilities? I chose a AMD Motherboard, a AMD Processor (sounds like that Mobo only uses X3/X4 CPUs so I wanted to get a X4 Phenom II) and a ATI GPU.

Also are there some cheaper but equivalent components? It may be hard for you to find cheaper components since they may be cheaper for you (US/UK) but the price may be the same (or higher) here. Also promotions does not applies for the same reason.

Your motherboard isn't compatible with your CPU. Its an AM3 only motherboard and you've chosen an AM2+ CPU. If you want to go with a DDR3 build then switch out the CPU for a Phenom ii 945, note that this CPU is more expensive and isn't a black edition so OCing isn't quite as good/easy.

Personally, I'd say just skip the DDR3 board, and get a standard Gigabyte 790x board for a good wedge cheaper, this'll allow you to use the same 940 Phenom as well as cheap 800mhz/1066mhz DDR2 RAM, meaning you can probably get 4 gigs for the price you're paying for 2 gigs.

2GB of RAM doesn't cut it these days. Go with 4GB the price premium realy isn't too large at all. Again I always recommend 640GB and 1TB drives as they're the snappiest around, WD Caviar Black or Samsung F1s are both great.

Cheeto said:
Doesn't matter if installed programs are on another drive, there are still many hooks to the OS that won't be carried over if you do a clean install.

Depends if you still want XP. You can dual boot 32-bit XP and 64-bit Win7 no problem. No you shouldn't have to re-install XP.

Ahh I see. So when I install Windows 7 all my XP programs disappear?

Yazus

brain_stew said:
Your motherboard isn't compatible with your CPU. Its an AM3 only motherboard and you've chosen an AM2+ CPU. If you want to go with a DDR3 build then switch out the CPU for a Phenom ii 945, note that this CPU is more expensive and isn't a black edition so OCing isn't quite as good/easy.

Personally, I'd say just skip the DDR3 board, and get a standard Gigabyte 790x board for a good wedge cheaper, this'll allow you to use the same 940 Phenom as well as cheap 800mhz/1066mhz DDR2 RAM, meaning you can probably get 4 gigs for the price you're paying for 2 gigs.

2GB of RAM doesn't cut it these days. Go with 4GB the price premium realy isn't too large at all. Again I always recommend 640GB and 1TB drives as they're the snappiest around, WD Caviar Black or Samsung F1s are both great.

Thank you kindly brain stew. You helped a lot. This is what I came up with:

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4 Socket: AM2+ Chipset: AMD 790X ATX - 99€
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition 3Ghz Socket:AM2+ 8MB Chache - 185€
RAM: KINGSTON 2GB DDR2 800 Mhz (I'm buying two units of this) - 25€ x2 = 50€
HDD: WESTERN DIGITAL Caviar Black 640GB Buffer:32MB 7200RPM - 70€

Total: 500€

So its around 20€ cheaper but it also will work (previous one woudlnt :D ).

Thanks a lot again brain stew I was falling for a stupid error (AMD 2+/AMD 3 socket).
Also the RAM stuff really helped, 2 Gigs doesnt cut these days indeed, I'm getting two units of Corsair 800Mhz 2GB then. Also reducing the Mobo cost/Ram cost helped me to get a bigger/better HDD.

I'm also asking: are the CPU Cooler/Case Fan really helpful/necessary?

Yazus said:
Thank you kindly brain stew. You helped a lot. This is what I came up with:

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4 Socket: AM2+ Chipset: AMD 790X ATX - 99€
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition 3Ghz Socket:AM2+ 8MB Chache - 185€
RAM: KINGSTON 2GB DDR2 800 Mhz (I'm buying two units of this) - 25€ x2 = 50€
HDD: WESTERN DIGITAL Caviar Black 640GB Buffer:32MB 7200RPM - 70€

Total: 500€

So its around 20€ cheaper but it also will work (previous one woudlnt :D ).

Thanks a lot again brain stew I was falling for a stupid error (AMD 2+/AMD 3 socket).
Also the RAM stuff really helped, 2 Gigs doesnt cut these days indeed, I'm getting two units of Corsair 800Mhz 2GB then. Also reducing the Mobo cost/Ram cost helped me to get a bigger/better HDD.

I'm also asking: are the CPU Cooler/Case Fan really helpful/necessary?

Try and get a single 2X2GB pack of RAM if you can, you can run 4 sticks fine but it can put more stress on your northbridge and sometimes limit OCing. I use 4 sticks myself (6 gigs, here :D ) and it works fine, but since its a new build you might as well leave yourself with the option of a future upgrade to 8GB. Ofcourse if that RAM is just a single 2GB stick then you can disregard this.

Yeah, I'd keep the fans, stock HSF can often be noisy, and heat can shorten the length of your components so its all good. Plus, it gives you the option of looking into OCing later on. Sure, its not as if your CPU needs it yet, but a free future upgrade for a small amount of time tweaking is a nice option to have. Oh, and if your local retailer stocks Yate Loon fans then use that instead of the 120mm coolermaster fan you specified, they're whisper quiet.

Looking good on the whole though.

Talamius

I and my wallet thank you. PC in the OP ordered as of now, with two changes:

1) No DVD-RW ordered. I have an extra around plus an external.

2) Swapped out the GPU for a Sapphire HD 4890. Should get a little extra life out of it that way.

Also threw in another DVI cable and a keyboard/mouse combo. US $624 shipped. :D

Ryu

When is the next line of videocards slated to be released? I plan to piece together the system over a couple of months (leaving the mobo/CPU/ram/GPU for last) around August - October, but I don't want to be ambushed by a whole new line of GPU's the following month. I know the top of the line now will last for quite awhile, but I'm still curious.

Ryu said:
When is the next line of videocards slated to be released? I plan to piece together the system over a couple of months (leaving the mobo/CPU/ram/GPU for last) around August - October, but I don't want to be ambushed by a whole new line of GPU's the following month. I know the top of the line now will last for quite awhile, but I'm still curious.

ATI's DX11 cards should hit in Q4 expect them to demand a price premium at first though. A launch of a new line of videocards doesn't necessarily mean that prices will drop across the board.

Yazus

brain_stew said:
Try and get a single 2X2GB pack of RAM if you can, you can run 4 sticks fine but it can put more stress on your northbridge and sometimes limit OCing. I use 4 sticks myself (6 gigs, here :D ) and it works fine, but since its a new build you might as well leave yourself with the option of a future upgrade to 8GB. Ofcourse if that RAM is just a single 2GB stick then you can disregard this.

Yeah, I'd keep the fans, stock HSF can often be noisy, and heat can shorten the length of your components so its all good. Plus, it gives you the option of looking into OCing later on. Sure, its not as if your CPU needs it yet, but a free future upgrade for a small amount of time tweaking is a nice option to have. Oh, and if your local retailer stocks Yate Loon fans then use that instead of the 120mm coolermaster fan you specified, they're whisper quiet.

Looking good on the whole though.

RAM replaced with CORSAIR - Dimm XMS2 4 Gb (2x2Gb) ddr2 800 Mhz CL5, at the same price (50€) so in the whole its just an easier pack.

Looking good, I'm very exited for this, thanks brain stew! Also I heard my CPU (Phenom II x4 940 Black Edition) is very good for OCing, thats why I'm getting the fans etc.

Minsc

Gold Member
Router said:
:lol

Damn, I had forgotten all about pccasegear... that's how long I have been out of the scene. Ok, so I am totally building a new rig! Now do I wait for windows 7 and build one around then or go for it now?

If you already own a OS, make sure to take advantage of the pre-order of Win 7 for $50 going on for one more week. Then you could put the Win 7 RC on the machine in meantime (if all the drivers you need are out) and upgrade in October, with your copy arriving for free (since it's already paid for).

Yazus said:
RAM replaced with CORSAIR - Dimm XMS2 4 Gb (2x2Gb) ddr2 800 Mhz CL5, at the same price (50€) so in the whole its just an easier pack.

Looking good, I'm very exited for this, thanks brain stew! Also I heard my CPU (Phenom II x4 940 Black Edition) is very good for OCing, thats why I'm getting the fans etc.

Yes, its an OCers specific CPU (that's what the black edition name means) as it has an unlocked multiplier which makes OCing much easier/simpler and more of a guaranteed thing. The only CPUs with an unlocked multi on the Intel side are the $1000 Extreme edition CPUs! You should be able to get somewhere between 3.6-4ghz and it'll fly at that speed.

Minsc said:
If you already own a OS, make sure to take advantage of the pre-order of Win 7 for $50 going on for one more week. Then you could put the Win 7 RC on the machine in meantime (if all the drivers you need are out) and upgrade in October, with your copy arriving for free (since it's already paid for).

In the UK, we're getting the full version (no upgrade edition malarky) for a £50 preorder, its a pretty sweet deal. Dunno what pricing in Australia for the preorder is but it seems great elsewhere.

Ok so here's my high end (I think at least) rig.

MB: Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD4
CPU: Phenom II X4 940 Black
Ram: 2x2 GB 1066 DDR2
GPU: Gigabyte HD4870 1GB
HDD: WD Caviar 640GB black
CPU Cooler: Coolermaster v8

Now, with the case, it will either be an Antec 300, with an Antec Earthwatts 650W (which will be around $240 AUD. Will I need that much power? I wouldn't mind the CoolerMaster Centurion 5 with 460W PSU, at half the price. Will 460W be enough? Failing that I could do the CM Gladiator 600 with 500W PSU, but its kind of ugly. Is it worth spending the extra money on the Antec gear (I love the Three Hundred case).

pseudocaesar said:
Ok so here's my high end (I think at least) rig.

MB: Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD4
CPU: Phenom II X4 940 Black
Ram: 2x2 GB 1066 DDR2
GPU: Gigabyte HD4870 1GB
HDD: WD Caviar 640GB black
CPU Cooler: Coolermaster v8

Now, with the case, it will either be an Antec 300, with an Antec Earthwatts 650W (which will be around $240 AUD. Will I need that much power? I wouldn't mind the CoolerMaster Centurion 5 with 460W PSU, at half the price. Will 460W be enough? Failing that I could do the CM Gladiator 600 with 500W PSU, but its kind of ugly. Is it worth spending the extra money on the Antec gear (I love the Three Hundred case).

Is this from that Aus site? 460w is fine in theory but the PSU included with the Centurion 5 isn't the "best" 460w PSU. The 500w should be fine, though personally I'd say buy separate parts, on a budget, this PSU is a good pick:

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=15_535&products_id=10872

Though that you can get more headroom and a modular design (makes cable management so much easier) for a little more makes this a great buy:

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=15_535&products_id=11225

That way you can choose your own case and still have a really good PSU.

Cheeto said:

many programs will still run with no issue. by 'hooks' i assume you mean registry keys, which most programs don't even require to run.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
I was surprised at just how many applications work fine via straight drag and drop from the Windows.old folder, also handy for sticking games on a portable HDD to take to Uni or wherever.

brain_stew said:
Is this from that Aus site? 460w is fine in theory but the PSU included with the Centurion 5 isn't the "best" 460w PSU. The 500w should be fine, though personally I'd say buy separate parts, on a budget, this PSU is a good pick:

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=15_535&products_id=10872

Though that you can get more headroom and a modular design (makes cable management so much easier) for a little more makes this a great buy:

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=15_535&products_id=11225

That way you can choose your own case and still have a really good PSU.
Are those OCZ PSUs pretty solid then? They tend to have really good prices on Newegg, but I haven't seen them recommended too often around here.

vertopci

rohlfinator said:
Are those OCZ PSUs pretty solid then? They tend to have really good prices on Newegg, but I haven't seen them recommended too often around here.

Most of OCZ's products are pretty solid, with the exception of the keyboards which are hit or miss with everyone.

Speaking of OCZ, if anyone needs a wired mouse, the OCZ Behemoth is an awesome mouse for 30 bucks. Has the ability to switch between 4 different DPI settings on the fly and is pretty comfortable.

vertopci said:
Most of OCZ's products are pretty solid, with the exception of the keyboards which are hit or miss with everyone.
Ah, that's good to hear. I'll probably go with one of those once I start building my new rig. They seem to be really good bargains if you catch a sale, especially for modular PSUs.

Yazus

What do you guys think about the ANTEC Case Gamer Nine-Hundred Middle Tower ATX and about the THERMALTAKE Thunderblade 120mm LED Multicolor?

I'm thinking about replacing the Coolermaster 331 w Power Supply with this one and a Coolermaster 500W PSU

Cheeto

dark_preacher said:
many programs will still run with no issue. by 'hooks' i assume you mean registry keys, which most programs don't even require to run.
Registry keys, dlls, dependencies, etc

Of course it depends on the program, but many programs will also not run.

rohlfinator said:

Same company as PC Power & Cooling (at least they have been for the last 2 years) and their power supplies have a reputation second to none. They review well enough and whilst they're not the best PSUs around they're more than decent enough considering the low price you pay. You can spend more and get a better PSU, sure, but many don't need to.

Reviewe for that cheap 500w version here:

http://www.techaddicts.net/reviews/stealth500/stealth500.html

I personally think the 600w modular version there is a much better deal though, for a small jump in cost you get more headroom, more connector, better efficiency and you really can't overstate how nice a modular PSU can be.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Yazus said:
What do you guys think about the ANTEC Case Gamer Nine-Hundred Middle Tower ATX and about the THERMALTAKE Thunderblade 120mm LED Multicolor?

I'm thinking about replacing the Coolermaster 331 w Power Supply with this one and a Coolermaster 500W PSU
Make sure it's the 900-2, they added some stuff (better cable management mainly).

Fredescu

CPU: i7 920 http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=187_346&products_id=8485
MBD: Asus P6T http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=138_711_775&products_id=8708
RAM: 6GB (for triple channel) http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=186_216&products_id=8584
GPU: 4890 http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=193_800&products_id=11039
Case: Coolermaster 690 http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=25_31_504&products_id=5863
PSU: Corsair HX-620 http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=15_354&products_id=5153
HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=210_268_344&products_id=7890
DVD/RW: Lite-On http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=658_667&products_id=11487

$1474

Add in cooling for overclocking purposes:
CPU HSF: Noctua NH-U12P http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=207_23_769&products_id=8556
Thermal Compound: http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=5640

$1575

Not sure if you need a monitor in that price, but there are plenty of decent ~$350 24" monitors floating around which should still bring it in under $2k.

If you don't need a monitor, you could upgrade the GPU to a GTX285 or something and still be well within budget, but I think you're better off getting the 4890 to tide you over until the midrange DX11 cards are out.

Fredescu said:
CPU: i7 920 http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=187_346&products_id=8485
MBD: Asus P6T http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=138_711_775&products_id=8708
RAM: 6GB (for triple channel) http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=186_216&products_id=8584
GPU: 4890 http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=193_800&products_id=11039
Case: Coolermaster 690 http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=25_31_504&products_id=5863
PSU: Corsair HX-620 http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=15_354&products_id=5153
HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=210_268_344&products_id=7890
DVD/RW: Lite-On http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=658_667&products_id=11487

$1474

Add in cooling for overclocking purposes:
CPU HSF: Noctua NH-U12P http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=207_23_769&products_id=8556
Thermal Compound: http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=5640

$1575

Not sure if you need a monitor in that price, but there are plenty of decent ~$350 24" monitors floating around which should still bring it in under $2k.

If you don't need a monitor, you could upgrade the GPU to a GTX285 or something and still be well within budget, but I think you're better off getting the 4890 to tide you over until the midrange DX11 cards are out.

Your build is coming to $1,735.00 without the cooling here?

Top Bottom