• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gainax Loses Lawsuit, Must Pay Hideaki Anno's Studio $900,000

Link.

Last year, Hideaki Anno’s Studio Khara sued Gainax of Evangelion fame for unpaid royalities. A Tokyo District court has ruled in Anno’s favor, with a judge ordering Gainax to pay the full 100 million yen (around US$900,000).

Anno co-founded Gainax in 1984 with fellow students he met at Osaka University of Arts, including current Gainax president Hiroyuki Yamaga. The studio hit it big with Neon Genesis Evangelion during the mid-1990s. Anno left Gainax in 2007 to set up Studio Khara, but both studios continued to collaborate.

As previously reported, Gainax is contractually bound to pay royalties to Khara for projects Anno worked on, but Gainax owned a large amount in back payments. Moreover, Khara made a special loan to Gainax for 100 million yen ($898,796) in August 2014 and is now suing to get the unpaid amount back.

Sankei News adds that Gainax will no appeal the decision. Khara would not issue a comment about the ruling.

Lock if old.

Roubjon

tenor.gif

Good for Anno's crew.

jstripes

Banned
I wonder if this will finally finish off Gainax. All the important people left long ago, and they haven't done anything worthwhile in ages.

It's a shame how such an icon has fallen.

Moreover, Khara made a special loan to Gainax for 100 million yen ($898,796) in August 2014 and is now suing to get the unpaid amount back.

So all he gets is the money he loaned them 3 years ago back, without any interest at all, and also gets no royalties?
That sounds like a big loss.

Ban Puncher

So all he gets is the money he loaned them 3 years ago back, without any interest at all, and also gets no royalties?
That sounds like a big loss.

Gainax don't have any money so they'll have to pay Anno with something far more valuable - intellectual properties.

LiK

Thought they were doing well. I guess they don't see much money from licensing the huge amount of EVA merch out there?

/XX/

At least GAiNAX's Mr. Yamaga took the opportunity along these inconvenient news (for them) to assure Uru in Blue entered full production as of this very month, surely trying to appease some in the meantime:

お知らせ | GAINAX NET
http://www.gainax.co.jp/wp/archives/post-6357/

well shit there goes Panty & Stocking season 2
The situation is definitely complex, but apparently it is something that could be worked on in tandem as long as the original creators are willing and aren't busy on other projects too.

I wonder if this will finally finish off Gainax. All the important people left long ago, and they haven't done anything worthwhile in ages.
So... are people like Hiroyuki Yamaga, Toshio Okada and Takami Akai not important then?

Thought they were doing well. I guess they don't see much money from licensing the huge amount of EVA merch out there?
The I.P. management was transferred completely to Studio Khara (or χαρα) through GroundWorks.

How the mighty have fallen...

Also, Anno needs to do more Godzilla. Shin Godzilla was the best thing he's done since the TV Evangelion series. Maybe after Eva 4.0 since I'm sure he needs a palate cleanser.

Faiz

I'd like to see Blue Uru completed before they go belly up but it really does seem time for Gainax to just close up shop already. Sad to see how it's all gone down over the years.

Unrelated but.... related. Oh god, I'm scared for FLCL season 2/3 right now. Limited money, all the great staff is missing, I am so scared FLCL is going to be what the new powerpuff girls is.

Unrelated but.... related. Oh god, I'm scared for FLCL season 2/3 right now. Limited money, all the great staff is missing, I am so scared FLCL is going to be what the new powerpuff girls is.

Gainax sold the rights to FLCL to Production I.G. a couple of years back, who is co-producing the new seasons with [adult swim].

Ban Puncher

Make sure you stuff the original film masters of DAICON III and IV down your pants when you're stripping the Gainax vault, Anno.

TheRancor

At least GAiNAX's Mr. Yamaga took the opportunity along these inconvenient news (for them) to assure Uru in Blue entered full production as of this very month, surely trying to appease some in the meantime:

お知らせ | GAINAX NET
http://www.gainax.co.jp/wp/archives/post-6357/
It's been 25 YEARS. LIES :p

So... are people like Hiroyuki Yamaga, Toshio Okada and Takami Akai not important then?
Old and busted! ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Top Bottom