• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gainax Loses Lawsuit, Must Pay Hideaki Anno's Studio $900,000

asagami_

Banned
why can't we have both? I want them to finish Eva and make more Godzilla films!

Honestly I want both, but is very unlikely Anno want to work in a new Godzilla movie. I read about how work with Godzilla helped him to revitalize his interest in his unfinished projects, so maybe we are soon to get 4.4.

inb4 the movie is released to conmemorate the 10th aniversary You can (not) advance.

DBsqYtNXUAIs3N2.jpg

Make it happened.

I would fucking love something like this.

/XX/

It's been 25 YEARS. LIES :p
I know, I know... Mr. Yamaga has been touting the same things for years, piling up half-assed projects one after another, but this time it wasn't mentioned within an off-the-record comment or in an interview at any convention, they are saying it on a press note at their official website; so there could finally be a definitive commitment, or maybe the pressure finally get them to do desperate measures with forced responses, I don't know... :-/

And what about There Is a Reason That We Yawn that was supposed to have priority with an even closer release date disclosed and all? That's another mystery at the moment, but as you can check they didn't confirm anything officially like they have just now with that statement about Uru in Blue assuredly entering production (not planning and pre-production like before, I mean, nor the scrapped materials from previous iterations).

So he's owed around 900k in royalties *and* 900k for the loan he gave 'em? Until he gets the loan amount back it'll be like Gainax paid his royalties with his own money...

I guess the $500+ I spent on my Gurren Lagann Blu-ray Box set a few years back didn't help keep GAINAX afloat... Oh well, I tried.

- J - D -

If anything, it's the exact opposite. Why would you not want it to happen anyways? 3.0 is no way to leave things as they are.

It's the direction 3.0 took that I disagree with. In any case I was just joking. If it happens I'm happy for those who wanted it.

TheRancor

I know, I know... Mr. Yamaga has been touting the same things for years, piling up half-assed projects one after another, but this time it wasn't mentioned within an off-the-record comment or in an interview at any convention, they are saying it on a press note at their official website; so there could finally be a definitive commitment, or maybe the pressure finally get them to do desperate measures with forced responses, I don't know... :-/

And what about There Is a Reason That We Yawn that was supposed to have priority with an even closer release date disclosed and all? That's another mystery at the moment, but as you can check they didn't confirm anything officially like they have just now with that statement about Uru in Blue assuredly entering production (not planning and pre-production like before, I mean, nor the scrapped materials from previous iterations).
I was at a convention 2 years ago where Yamaga showed pre-production material for both projects. I took this picture of a slide (which is probably already out somewhere) where it mentions 2018 as the tentative release date. So maybe he's finally going to deliver. :p

javac

Studio Khara owns Evangelion 100% now. (Such an odd thing to say.) I don't know who has distribution rights over here, though.

Nobody has the rights outside of Japan and they're not up for acquisition until after the final rebuild film.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Wouldn't be GAINAX without massive financial troubles

Don't think they'll recover from this one tho
Everything after End of Evangelion was a mistake. Use the money to do something that's not 4.0 please.
Kare Kano was good. Gurren Lagan was great. FLCL comes up every time somebody makes a thread about how anime was better in their childhoods yarda yadda. And, if anything Trigger, wouldn't exist without the talent that emerged at GAINAX post Evangelion.

Nobody has the rights outside of Japan and they're not up for acquisition until after the final rebuild film.
Going to be a very long time before we ever see them over here lol. Hopefully if a blu ray set is released over here it's through funimation.

/XX/

I guess the $500+ I spent on my Gurren Lagann Blu-ray Box set a few years back didn't help keep GAINAX afloat... Oh well, I tried.
Most of that revenue went to Aniplex Inc., for sure! Well, GAiNAX usually have their own stake at production committees since their disastrous purely sub-contract works pre-NGE days, but nevertheless the best way to support a studio is through the purchase of merchandise edited or produced by them directly; in their particular case, for example, their 'genga' and art-books named 'Groundwork'.

I thought Okada hasn't been part of Gainax for decades.
Oops, sorry for the gaffe! Yeah, he's been out since the 'Olympia incident'. What I meant to say was Mr. Takeda (the other member of their "BIG3", as some call them) but the name of his former colleague and co-founder of the studio came to mind instead. :p

I was at a convention 2 years ago where Yamaga showed pre-production material for both projects. I took this picture of a slide (which is probably already out somewhere) where it mentions 2018 as the tentative release date. So maybe he's finally going to deliver. :p
At these difficult times and with an uncertain future, I'd just be happy with them delivering that promised 'Overture' pilot film... and maybe call it a day already. :'-(

ArchAngel

More money for 3.0+1.0 or whatever the name will be. Want Evangelion on BluRay here in Germany. Sold my Eva Platinum DVD collection for 250€ after the news that they returned working on the new movie ^^

But ... *TeamLove3.0*

Branduil

I still want to know how the fuck Gainax managed to lose the rights to Evangelion. That's like Disney losing the rights to Marvel.

I still want to know how the fuck Gainax managed to lose the rights to Evangelion. That's like Disney losing the rights to Marvel.

It's worth noting that this lawsuit relates not just to Evangelion but to all properties Hideaki Anno was involved in at Gainax (so also Gunbuster and Nadia, for example). Presumably this relates to agreements he made with the studio when he left to form Khara.

Everything after End of Evangelion was a mistake. Use the money to do something that's not 4.0 please.

Nah, they should make 4.0 so it can be shit like everyone with two brain cells know it will be, which will finally shut up the delusional people who think 3.0 is just part of Anno's master keikaku and make them realize Eva means nothing but money to him now.

/XX/

Takami Akai, a member of GAiNAX current board of directors and co-founder of the studio, mentioned the need to appease Hideaki Anno transferring those rights after his criticisms about a supposed mishandling made by GAiNAX on certain merchandise products from properties he was involved with (like those green-lighted without his explicit consent or supervision). It was a move "to avoid conflict" and further retaliation from Mr. Anno, but now after the latest incident everything he was directly involved in is probably jeopardised.

Top Bottom