• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date
I gotta say, as IT for a major retail store that has partnered for Google Wallet...I haven't seen anything yet that makes the service much more than a cute novelty. Hell, this is 2011 and you still can't walk around with nothing but cards, as you inevitably run into places that are cash-only/$5 minimum for CC's/etc. I would rather see the millions of dollars invested in these silly pet products be used to make traditional credit card processing more accessible and attractive to small businesses.

Edit: Also, it should be mentioned: Google Wallet, even if you have the requirements met on the phone end, only works with a very small handful of credit cards at the moment. Anyone looking to muck around with an unauthorized install should look into that first.

Interesting perspective. In my opinion, most people probably don't really care about Google Wallet. I think people are just latching onto anything Verizon has "tampered with" (pre-installed apps, NFC payments) and really worked themselves into a frenzy, due to this being a Nexus.

I'm not saying they should or shouldn't, but on any other phone this would be a non-issue.

Pctx

Banned
Hey guys, sorry for the misinformation back page. I screwed up the sizes. 32GB will be available come friday and 16GB will be available later in 2012 after Verizon loses exclusivity. I'm making the edit. Sorry for the confusion.

TxdoHawk

I think people are just latching onto anything Verizon has "tampered with" (pre-installed apps, NFC payments) and really worked themselves into a frenzy, due to this being a Nexus.

To be fair, if anyone has earned this kind of anger, it's Big Red. A lot of us still remember the traumatic days before mass smartphone adoption, when they wanted their own garish red-tinted OS installed on every phone they sold.

I'll say this though, they've gotten a lot better. I mean, look at the whole fiasco with AT&T's early Android phones and what they were doing...five years ago I would've fully expected the same shenanigans out of VZW.

Qatar

Hey guys, sorry for the misinformation back page. I screwed up the sizes. 32GB will be available come friday and 16GB will be available later in 2012 after Verizon loses exclusivity. I'm making the edit. Sorry for the confusion.

this makes sense, no way that they release the 32GB later at $400 or $350 on contract.

AndyD

aka andydumi

Nice. Amazon or wirefly might have a nice $200 or less deal around or after new year. I imagine the 16GB could go on sale with other carriers for as little as $100-150.

I do need to see one of these in person though. Seems bigger than my Thunderbolt, and while ICS sounds nice, I am tempted to wait and see if Motorola comes up with something nice in the first couple of months of 2012.

BigFwoosh

This news makes me happy again =)

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
12-6-2011nexusdroid4-1323188503.jpg

http://www.engadget.com/2011/12/06/galaxy-nexus-and-droid-4-landing-in-verizon-stores-december-8th/

Dec 9th

gutshot

Any idea when that will be? An extra $100 for 16GB more kinda sucks for me, as I really don't need all that space. Would love to get the 16GB model instead.

Pctx

Banned
To those who are wondering... the "soft" launch is on December 8th which means you can pre-order the phone and ensure that you can pick it up on Friday. Marketing materials are now (apparently) getting unpacked at the store since this is going to (now.... FINALLY!) be VZW's big Xmas present and expect to see a TON of advertisements.

Aeana

Oh, I hadn't expected to be able to, but I've been searching around and some seem to point that it might be the case: people with an unlimited 3G contract with Verizon can upgrade to unlimited LTE, or no? I expected to have to go to a 2GB plan or something when I got this phone.

thuway

The very fact that this phone is exclusive to Verizon is an insult to all the Android enthusiasts. I'm really disappointed in Google for not stepping their game up.

Nightz

Oh, I hadn't expected to be able to, but I've been searching around and some seem to point that it might be the case: people with an unlimited 3G contract with Verizon can upgrade to unlimited LTE, or no? I expected to have to go to a 2GB plan or something when I got this phone.

Yup you should still have unlimited after you upgrade to LTE.

kehs

Banned

They'll stop allowing that mid 2012 fyi.

Salaadin

Really thinking about getting this if I can find one around here. I wonder if Ill luck out like I did with the Dinc.
DId Verizon do away with New Every 2? It says Im eligible for an upgrade but the ones I want are all 100-200 bucks. Im assuming that the $299 for the Nexus will be the upgrade pricing?

kehs

Banned
just making sure I understand this message, if I upgrade my phone after mid 2012 i will not be able to keep my grandfathered in unlimited plan?

Yup yup. I'm looking for a link to the info.

e: I might be mistaken....hrmm still looking.

e2: I'm crazy, and talking out of my ass apparently.

SimleuqiR

I think, after seeing many comparissons, that the camera is pretty ok for pictures, good enough for me. Video is where I really find it lacking, very stuttery and with that hideous jelly effect, but since it seems that it's mostly caused by the stock app I think it won't be too big of a problem.

Nexus, come to meeeeeee

Jelly Bean will fix that

in before Copernicus

thespot84

I think, after seeing many comparissons, that the camera is pretty ok for pictures, good enough for me. Video is where I really find it lacking, very stuttery and with that hideous jelly effect, but since it seems that it's mostly caused by the stock app I think it won't be too big of a problem.

Nexus, come to meeeeeee

The jellos effect is in the software, someone did a comparison with a different camera app and there was zero jello, looked fine.

Forsete

Yay!

A nice and bright stuck pixel at the lower left of the screen.
CKK5L.jpg

N38Q6.jpg

Other than that, the screen is beautiful and I like the phone so far. A nice step up from my old 3GS.

The jellos effect is in the software, someone did a comparison with a different camera app and there was zero jello, looked fine.

Yeah, I know, it was me who posted that link here :)

What I am not so sure is a software issue is the stuttering. If you see the comparisson between the iPhone 4S video and the Nexus the stuttering in the later is quite bad. Also, the sound is way worse probably because it doesn't use the 2 mics to record sound in stereo. Do you guys think that a software update could change this?

Fox318

Statement From Verizon On Google Wallet
Customer Inquiries

For customer inquiries, please call 800-922-0204 or go to
Contact Us

12/06/2011

Statement from Jeffrey Nelson, spokesperson for Verizon:

Recent reports that Verizon is blocking Google Wallet on our devices are false. Verizon does not block applications.

Google Wallet is different from other widely-available m-commerce services. Google Wallet does not simply access the operating system and basic hardware of our phones like thousands of other applications. Instead, in order to work as architected by Google, Google Wallet needs to be integrated into a new, secure and proprietary hardware element in our phones.

We are continuing our commercial discussions with Google on this issue.

MEDIA CONTACT:
Jeffrey Nelson
Jeffrey.Nelson@VerizonWireless.com
908-559-7519

SimleuqiR

Tried it just for the heck of it.. 20 minutes or so, no difference. And I read they don't work with OLED screens.

image.php

Fuck!!!

Sorry hear that~!

Customer Inquiries

For customer inquiries, please call or go to
Contact Us

12/06/2011

Recent reports that Verizon is blocking Google Wallet on our devices are false. Verizon does not block applications.

Google Wallet is different from other widely-available m-commerce services. Google Wallet does not simply access the operating system and basic hardware of our phones like thousands of other applications. Instead, in order to work as architected by Google, Google Wallet needs to be integrated into a new, secure and proprietary hardware element in our phones.

MEDIA CONTACT:
Jeffrey Nelson
908-559-7519

WTF does that even mean?

kehs

Banned
Customer Inquiries

Contact Us

12/06/2011

MEDIA CONTACT:
Jeffrey Nelson
908-559-7519

Dat Spin Zone

lol @ the bolded.

So Google worked closely with Samsung to create a phone specifically for Android.....but forgot about Wallet integration when they put in the NFC elements. Come on now...

Customer Inquiries

Contact Us

12/06/2011

MEDIA CONTACT:
Jeffrey Nelson
908-559-7519

And, importantly, Verizon isn’t actually blocking the app from being downloaded – it just apparently convinced Google not to make it available in the first place. (I assume that satisfies the FCC’s rules.)

http://www.splatf.com/2011/12/verizon-google-wallet/

AndyD

aka andydumi
Can Google get in trouble for this? I sure hope so!! I'm not even on Verizon and can't download the app from the Market. What horse shit is this???

Nothing wrong with it. They can simply not offer it on the store. They have done that with 1-2 other apps before, I forget which. Available officially at Google to be sideloaded, but not on the market directly.

Not any different from any other developer of an app choosing whether that app is to appear on the market or just as a sideload.

gcubed

Can Google get in trouble for this? I sure hope so!! I'm not even on Verizon and can't download the app from the Market. What horse shit is this???

its not available on the Gnex yet at all as far as i know.

Dat Spin Zone

lol @ the bolded.

So Google worked closely with Samsung to create a phone specifically for Android.....but forgot about Wallet integration when they put in the NFC elements. Come on now...

its the same exact NFC hardware thats in the Nexus S that runs google wallet with its "secure" NFC

garath

It's amazing that Verizon isn't screaming about this phone with all ads full steam ahead.

Motorola must have an exclusive window with the RAZR that they're the top promoted LTE phone. I'm going to be shocked if the Nexus just quietly appears for pre-order even though that's what all signs point to.

By all accounts this will be a popular phone and I expect shortages. Releasing it this close to xmas will add to that. I hope I get an opportunity to get one sooner rather than later.

Fox318

It's amazing that Verizon isn't screaming about this phone with all ads full steam ahead.

Motorola must have an exclusive window with the RAZR that they're the top promoted LTE phone. I'm going to be shocked if the Nexus just quietly appears for pre-order even though that's what all signs point to.

By all accounts this will be a popular phone and I expect shortages. Releasing it this close to xmas will add to that. I hope I get an opportunity to get one sooner rather than later.

Verizon probably wants to push its suite of Vcast apps and the Motorola phones are the ones to do it on.

AndyD

aka andydumi

I think it may be one of those ad campaigns where they say "now available" vs. "coming soon" and that way they give Motorola breathing room, and also push Nexus at the last second before Xmas.

Aeana

I hadn't even heard of this phone a week ago and now I have to have it immediately. (._. )
Though to be fair, I usually block out phone stuff until upgrade time rolls around since it isn't applicable to me until then. However, I missed the ICS unveil entirely so I've just watched it and that got me even more excited.

It's worth getting excited about.. ICS is a big upgrade.. especially in the google apps department..

Gingerbread is almost painful now..

Top Bottom