• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date

Patriots7

there is no visual voicemail, only an API to have a 3rd party app integrate directly to the OS, right now there are no 3rd party apps using that API
So during the unveiling that was just a demo of a potential 3rd party app? Sorry, haven't been kept up to date.

rozay

Banned
They added a search button (in the wrong position BMHS ftw)
fragmentation

also a heads up from anyone on at&t who wants to use visual voicemail through them and not at&t, you need a 4G data plan. I'm wondering if an iPhone plan with visual voicemail listed will work though.

gcubed

The culprit finally rears it's ugly head, they had to gather up enough red ink for the packaging.

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/12/0...-arrives-in-stores-retail-packaging-pictured/

one, thats some girly hands, two, its only a few mm difference, but man, when they say the camera add's 10lbs, they aren't kidding. It looks significantly thicker

kKHDF.png

SimleuqiR

Hello bitches!!!

IMG_20111205_131425.jpg

I'm so bugged down with work right now, it will pretty much be a very expensive paperweight for the next 4 hours or so. :-/ Can't play with it.

gcubed

as a note to ATT peeps coming from old ass phones. I went to my local store, got a new SIM card and got my data account changed to unlimited HSPA+ which allowed me to use the HSPA+ APN on my phone (and it got faster)

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
What are the chances do you guys think that the Galaxy SIII will have a pentaband radio as well?

Loving my Galaxy Nexus so far. Had a defect with the first one tho. Had a screen issue where the screen will flicker blue and yellow only when I open the messaging app. Got it replaced through Expansys.

Gabyskra

Banned
I received it today. My god, the hype was deserved.

I've personally had the Motorola Droid and the HTC Desire Z in the past... I've played extensively, for weeks, with the Samsung Galaxy S and the HTC Desire S... Android stepped up big time. It replicates the qualities of the Galaxy line (light hardware, smooth scrolling) and adds to it with an amazing screen and great software. I would not want any other phone right now.

SimleuqiR

Jebus ! The neogaf web app on this thing is zippy ! Pretty much all the web. I do love how the web app with inverted colors blends with the phone.

Also typing with this thing is amazing, although auto correction doesnt show up on the web app for me.

Gabyskra

Banned
Holy shit, I just played a Skyrim video from Youtube on the Galaxy Nexus... 720p goodness on the 4.6" screen of a very light device. It feels like the future.

BigFwoosh

I recently had to break out the screwdriver on my Droid 1 to make the USB port actually work. I really hope all these 8th/9th rumors hold true.

Futureman

Jebus ! The neogaf web app on this thing is zippy ! Pretty much all the web. I do love how the web app with inverted colors blends with the phone.

Also typing with this thing is amazing, although auto correction doesnt show up on the web app for me.

Does the ICS keyboard not capitalize the letter "I," or is that some bug in the keyboard .apk that was leaked a few weeks ago? I love everything about the new keyboard except that it doesn't automatically capitalize "I."

Gabyskra

Banned

Very surprised. Good choice in default settings by Google, as contrasty images sure are more appealing considering the kind of photos you take with a phone. I love photography (I never leave home without my Fuji x100, and I shot over 10000 photos with my Canon DSLR this past year), I'll be sure to post my impressions soon. I already tested it once, and it's a vast improvement over the Desire Z's camera (which was your standard phone camera for early 2011).

Niks

Very surprised. Good choice in default settings by Google, as contrasty images sure are more appealing considering the kind of photos you take with a phone. I love photography (I never leave home without my Fuji x100, and I shot over 10000 photos with my Canon DSLR this past year), I'll be sure to post my impressions soon. I already tested it once, and it's a vast improvement over the Desire Z's camera (which was your standard phone camera for early 2011).

Thanks.
The camera seems to be the nexus weakest spot. Glad to see more opinions about it.

Qatar

so as expected, Verizon priced the phone +$100 than the usual contract price. does including LTE costs this much?

kehs

Banned
I'm assuming given an NFC chip I can root and install google wallet? I really want to vote with my wallet but at&t's network sucks compared to verizon here. If there were ever a case for more gov't regulation of utilities, jesus christ.

Yup, people are running Google Wallet on non-sprint Nexus S without a problem.

Well, the only problem is the bullshit surrounding needing your carrier involved with your credit card payments.

Stupidest shit ever.

thespot84

Why is this version worth lining up for again verizon?

they claim it's the network and that's still doing the trick for me, though less and less at this point. I feel so used at this point, but in the long haul their network IS better, their lte is and will be faster, none of the other carriers are any better when it comes to given you a reach around...and I'll save $450 on the phone...

Yup, people are running Google Wallet on non-sprint Nexus S without a problem.

Well, the only problem is the bullshit surrounding needing your carrier involved with your credit card payments.

Stupidest shit ever.

why wouldn't the transactions just be done over wifi? How would the carrier be involved at that point?

I hope there are people that get the Galaxy Nexus but decide that they want a 4S instead after a month so I can buy it off them from craigslist.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
they claim it's the network and that's still doing the trick for me, though less and less at this point. I feel so used at this point, but in the long haul their network IS better, their lte is and will be faster, none of the other carriers are any better when it comes to given you a reach around...and I'll save $450 on the phone...

Google wallet is a big reason i wanted a gnex. The delays, and verizon branding haven't helped things. The only things keeping me coming back, is the fact i have unlimited data/text. And that my incredible is a piece of shit, and stuck with it for another few months if i dont upgrade.

kehs

Banned
why wouldn't the transactions just be done over wifi? How would the carrier be involved at that point?

Ideally you want the transaction done in real time. That's where the carriers, their subsidies, and the lack of regulations come in.

They basically just want a cut of transactions because it's going over their network. It's huge huge business, but the damned ISP shouldn't have a god damn thing to do with it.

Net neutrality would stop shit like this from happening. This is like ATT in the 80s all over again.

thespot84

Ideally you want the transaction done in real time. That's where the carriers, their subsidies, and the lack of regulations come in.

They basically just want a cut of transactions because it's going over their network. It's huge huge business, but the damned ISP shouldn't have a god damn thing to do with it.

Net neutrality would stop shit like this from happening. This is like ATT in the 80s all over again.

So will big red be doing deep packet inspection to block wallet traffic on my rooted gnex? That's the part i'm missing. They don't do anything about me tethering (It's nice I can fuck them back with that one...)

kehs

Banned
So will big red be doing deep packet inspection to block wallet traffic on my rooted gnex? That's the part i'm missing. They don't do anything about me tethering (It's nice I can fuck them back with that one...)

For the moment they don't appear to be doing any kind of data discrimination, but who knows how things will play out.

VanWinkle

I don't really want the Verizon Galaxy Nexus that much (and I don't want to pay $299 for a phone with a 2-year contract), so I kind of want to wait for another phone with Ice Cream Sandwich. The problem is, it seems like just about every single phone manufacturer is slow with updates because of their terrible UI overlays. Asus is about the only Android device manufacturer that is quick with updates(the Transformer has proven that since it came out), but I don't like the look of the Padfone, unfortunately.

Basically, I don't know what I want to do!

WarMacheen

$299...with contract....and I have to go from unlimited to a tiered plan..

How about suck my ass Verizon. I'll keep my current phone and suck up as much bandwidth as possible.

Top Bottom