• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date

WarMacheen

What's the story? Why do you have to cancel unlimited?

I was under the impression that with the "eligible for upgrade" option it would mean a new contract.

If I could stay unlimited I would pay the 260

Also I just looked and the "eligible for an upgrade discount" is only $40...da fuck

Maybe I will just threaten to cancel the whole damn contract.

Worked when I got my wifes iphone lol.

Oozer3993

$299...with contract....and I have to go from unlimited to a tiered plan..

How about suck my ass Verizon. I'll keep my current phone and suck up as much bandwidth as possible.

No you don't. Unlimited plans are grandfathered in. It's Verizon policy to let you keep unlimited data when renewing your contract. Only new contracts are tiered. Anyone who told you different is incorrect.

WarMacheen

No you don't. Unlimited plans are grandfathered in. It's Verizon policy to let you keep unlimited data when renewing your contract. Only new contracts are tiered. Anyone who told you different is incorrect.

Sweet, thanks Oozer. In that case I'll pay the $260...and suck up a shit ton of bandwidth.

CaLe

Total android noob here who just got the Galaxy Nexus here, got a few questions.

Are there any benefits to unlocking the bootloader ? Is it legal ? Where can one obtain custom roms ? (if they are legal)

Also, which apps would you consider essentials ?

Thanks guys, I'm an apple convert and it seems awesome so far.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Jealousy mode is fully activated. :[
Oh well, good things come to those who wait. I guess.

BigFwoosh

Total android noob here who just got the Galaxy Nexus here, got a few questions.

Are there any benefits to unlocking the bootloader ? Is it legal ? Where can one obtain custom roms ? (if they are legal)

1. Totally legal. Unlocking the bootloader allows you to flash new kernels and roms, thus enabling your phone to do things that stock Android may not. XDA-Developers has a G-Nex development forum with some custom roms already available. Before you flash a rom though, make sure you read up on the procedure and understand it. If you mess up during the flashing process, you could brick your device, get stuck in a boot loop, etc.

2. If you're rooted, SetCPU will allow you to over/underclock your phone. ROM Manager is probably the most useful app for rooted users, as it allows you to backup and restore your phone, download new roms (with a rating system), flash back to stock firmware, and the list goes on. Titanium Backup is also very useful if you're going between roms since it lets you backup and restore all your apps. There's also the various Google apps, Thumb Keyboard if you want a lot of virtual keyboard customization, Game Dev Story if you want a very addictive game... the list could go on forever.

Verizon rep (here next me) has confirmed.
Confirmed 8th or 9th?

Edit: New pic of retail packaging: http://twitpic.com/7p3pfp
It looks like an ice cream sandwich =)

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Price for an LTE 32 gig phone for $299 isn't out of wack. A 16 gig version for $199 for those that don't feel they HAVE to have the 32 gig space would be nice though and in line with other higher end phones.

sneaky77

There is an store I'll pass on my way home from work since I work third the night of wednesday to thursday this week, so I may have to stop before bedtime

Pctx

Banned
Phones are arriving in stores today and tomorrow with the confirmed delivery to customers on the 9th. Pricing is $299 w/ 2 yr agreement for 32GB models with 16GB models to come early 2012 after Verizon loses exclusivity with the Nexus.

thespot84

rooting and unlocking your bootloader will void any warranty you hope to keep on the phone IF you come upon the rare occasion that your phone is both screwed up enough to need warranty repair but no enough that they can even tell it was booted. Personally i rooted early, figureing it anything got hairy I could revert to stock and get it repaired, and if it was too hairy I'd just sabotage the phone somehow so they'd never find out.

Paznos

Phones are arriving in stores today and tomorrow with the confirmed delivery to customers on the 9th. Pricing is $299 w/ 2 yr agreement for 16GB models with 32GB models to come early 2012.

I find that hard to believe since every piece of info so far has only shown the 32GB model being the only one Verizon would be carrying and there hasn't even been talk of a 16GB model til now, even the phone that was available at the Samsung store in New York this past weekend was 32GB.

CaLe

1. Totally legal. Unlocking the bootloader allows you to flash new kernels and roms, thus enabling your phone to do things that stock Android may not. XDA-Developers has a G-Nex development forum with some custom roms already available. Before you flash a rom though, make sure you read up on the procedure and understand it. If you mess up during the flashing process, you could brick your device, get stuck in a boot loop, etc.

2. If you're rooted, SetCPU will allow you to over/underclock your phone. ROM Manager is probably the most useful app for rooted users, as it allows you to backup and restore your phone, download new roms (with a rating system), flash back to stock firmware, and the list goes on. Titanium Backup is also very useful if you're going between roms since it lets you backup and restore all your apps. There's also the various Google apps, Thumb Keyboard if you want a lot of virtual keyboard customization, Game Dev Story if you want a very addictive game... the list could go on forever.

Confirmed 8th or 9th?

Edit: New pic of retail packaging: http://twitpic.com/7p3pfp
It looks like an ice cream sandwich =)

Thanks for the reply.

I just entered fastboot mode and I can't seem to be able to leave it.. I try to hold the power button and nothing. Any idea..?

Gunsmithx

I find that hard to believe since every piece of info so far has only shown the 32GB model being the only one Verizon would be carrying and there hasn't even been talk of a 16GB model til now, even the phone that was available at the Samsung store in New York this past weekend was 32GB.

yeah have we had anything that talked about it being a 16gb at all? The only size I've heard for VZW has been 32gb.

BigFwoosh

Thanks for the reply.

I just entered fastboot mode and I can't seem to be able to leave it.. I try to hold the power button and nothing. Any idea..?

I've never actually had a phone that allowed me to do this tbh... are you following the same instructions as here?

CaLe

rooting and unlocking your bootloader will void any warranty you hope to keep on the phone IF you come upon the rare occasion that your phone is both screwed up enough to need warranty repair but no enough that they can even tell it was booted. Personally i rooted early, figureing it anything got hairy I could revert to stock and get it repaired, and if it was too hairy I'd just sabotage the phone somehow so they'd never find out.

You can actually return to stock:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1366806

So apparently the Galaxy Nexus from Verizon won't support Google Wallet. Verizon have blocked it. It's one thing not having it pre-installed, quite another saying they won't allow it at all. Kind of like Google saying they won't allow the Facebook app on Android phones. Until now apart from the delayed release I didn't think anything they'd done was too bad, but this is anti-competition, anti-consumerist shit of the highest order. I highly doubt the next Nexus phone will be on Verizon. What a total catastrophe of a launch.

In other news I have rooted and installed a custom recovery on my Galaxy Nexus. Think I'm going to give Paul O'Briens custom rom a bash! (Hello search key and faster auto rotate)

So apparently the Galaxy Nexus from Verizon won't support Google Wallet. Verizon have blocked it. It's one thing not having it pre-installed, quite another saying they won't allow it at all. Kind of like Google saying they won't allow the Facebook app on Android phones. Until now apart from the delayed release I didn't think anything they'd done was too bad, but this is anti-competition, anti-consumerist shit of the highest order. I highly doubt the next Nexus phone will be on Verizon. What a total catastrophe of a launch.

In other news I have rooted and installed a custom recovery on my Galaxy Nexus. Think I'm going to give Paul O'Briens custom rom a bash! (Hello search key and faster auto rotate)
Not denying Verizon's assyness, but Google Wallet won't work on any of the major carriers except Sprint. Verizon, T-Mobile, and AT&T are working on their own mobile payment method. It's kinda like the opposition Google saw with Google TV, so it's not looking too hopeful for Wallet right now. They better focus on Japan and other countries first.

This might make up for any ill feelings I have toward Verizon.
That's not the retail packaging. That's the box demo units came in. The retail box is pure white, very bland.

This is the retail box:
galaxy-nexus-retail-box.jpg

All it says is Verizon on it.

SimleuqiR

Yeah , when Google cant control which of their own apps and services are availble on a Nexus device, its no longer a Nexus device. What's next, no Google Voice ????

gcubed

Yeah , when Google cant control which of their own apps and services are availble on a Nexus device, its no longer a Nexus device. What's next, no Google Voice ????

I don't understand how mobile payments work. To me, it seems like the carrier is just faciliting data transmission between the source and destination... but to block it I would imagine they would have to be more involved then that

I don't understand how mobile payments work. To me, it seems like the carrier is just faciliting data transmission between the source and destination... but to block it I would imagine they would have to be more involved then that

If it's anything like how credit card and debit card transactions work, the carrier probably gets a cut through Isis. Whereas Google Wallet will only give Google a cut, the carriers would be SOL. So the carriers will literally kill anybody who tries to prevent them from getting their cut.

In unrelated news, is everybody buying 16GB Tunas? Are there any 32GB Tunas in the wild yet?

Verizon wouldn't get a cut from Google Wallet, since they have their own mobile payment platform. Therefore, they won't allow it.

kehs

Banned
Not denying Verizon's assyness, but Google Wallet won't work on any of the major carriers except Sprint. Verizon, T-Mobile, and AT&T are working on their own mobile payment method. It's kinda like the opposition Google saw with Google TV, so it's not looking too hopeful for Wallet right now. They better focus on Japan and other countries first.
It'll work if you side load it. Verizon is only actively blocking it via the market for reg users.

TxdoHawk

I gotta say, as IT for a major retail store that has partnered for Google Wallet...I haven't seen anything yet that makes the service much more than a cute novelty. Hell, this is 2011 and you still can't walk around with nothing but cards, as you inevitably run into places that are cash-only/$5 minimum for CC's/etc. I would rather see the millions of dollars invested in these silly pet products be used to make traditional credit card processing more accessible and attractive to small businesses.

Edit: Also, it should be mentioned: Google Wallet, even if you have the requirements met on the phone end, only works with a very small handful of credit cards at the moment. Anyone looking to muck around with an unauthorized install should look into that first.

Top Bottom