• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date

SimleuqiR

It's worth getting excited about.. ICS is a big upgrade.. especially in the google apps department..

Gingerbread is almost painful now..

It is!

Also,

RANT!!!

Secondly, why is ICS keyboard not correcting my SPANISH??? No me gusta!!!

Verizon Bloats the Galaxy Nexus

Amidst the tidal stench of phones crusted over with all the crap carriers and manufacturers stick on them, the Nexus line is a fresh, relieving breeze. Or was. I don’t know what Google was thinking, agreeing to smudge their own idealism and the Nexus’ purity. In fact, I don’t know what Verizon was thinking. There will be other phones. Plenty of them. It won’t be long until those phones out-perform the Galaxy Nexus. Why this phone? Why right now?

It takes a special sort of consumer to buy a Nexus. These people are looking specifically for the Google experience. They want pure, unadulterated Android. I don’t care whether Google Wallet sucks. It’s part of the Google experience. I don’t care if your alternative is way better. It’s not part of the Google experience. So, for this special sort of consumer, where’s the incentive to buy the Samsung Galaxy Nexus, now?

While I doubt this will be a huge factor in sales, I think Verizon is shooting itself in the lower extremities.

/RANT!!

También,

Why isn't ICS keyboard not correcting my SPANISH?

098fd484-5e62-4c64-98b3-1c4eff92c417.jpg

jayb

I'm guessing a good portion of those special consumers has little qualms about rooting their phones. Google
slightly modified by XDA
experience here I come!

exactly. Most probably aren't bothered by the small changes Verizon made, but more so that Google even let Verizon mess with their phone at all. It's a slippery slope.

Cudder

If I wanna use this in Canada on Rogers do I have to wait for Rogers to get it, or can I get the Bell, Telus, or maybe a US version?

reKon

Banned
I noticed that I have a $50 discount on all the phones out right now, excluding the iPhones. Does anyone know if this is an online thing only? Or will be able to get it at the store for $250?

Husker86

Verizon LTE Tax, almost all of their LTE phones launch at $299, and no, it doesn't cost that much to add... wait for a deal on Wirefly or Amazon.

It's also a 32GB phone. What other phone out there is 32GB for $199?

For the record, I still think it's too high, but they aren't exactly going against the market.

Oozer3993

Why is it that only the Verizon Nexus phone gets crap about not having Google Wallet? The Nexus S 4G is the only phone, Nexus or otherwise, to support it. The plain jane Nexus S does not support it on any carrier. It's a Nexus phone and it has all the required hardware components, yet I don't see an panty bunching about that.

Verizon LTE Tax, almost all of their LTE phones launch at $299, and no, it doesn't cost that much to add... wait for a deal on Wirefly or Amazon.

No, it's the cost of a 32GB phone. Every LTE phone Verizon has launched at $299 has had 32GB of space. It is the same price as a 32GB iPhone.

Cudder

Someone please tell me how I can select ALL of the image. I don't want to crop my wallpapers! This is driving me crazy. Is it even possible?

Extending the parameters doesn't let you capture it all? It might not be the same resolution as the phone to use as a wallpaper.

Ashhong

Someone please tell me how I can select ALL of the image. I don't want to crop my wallpapers! This is driving me crazy. Is it even possible?

Do you want there to be black bars on the top and bottom of your image? Otherwise it would need to be the same aspect ratio as the phone or deal with it cropped

Oozer3993

Extending the parameters doesn't let you capture it all? It might not be the same resolution as the phone to use as a wallpaper.

If it's like the wallpaper tool on Honeycomb, no. It will only expand until one of the edges of the blue box hit an edge of the picture. It's very annoying.

Circle T

If you want wallpapers to fit properly, so that when you scroll through screens the image shifts with it, and they fill the screen fully, they need to be the same height and double the width of the phone's screen resolution....

Galaxy Nexus: 720x1280
Wallpaper: 1440x1280

Galaxy SII: 480x800
Wallpaper: 960x800

And so on....

It is slightly different with Honeycomb, as the image shifts not only left to right for your various screens, but also up and down with the app drawer, etc. I don't know the proper scaling for HC wallpapers.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
If you want wallpapers to fit properly, so that when you scroll through screens the image shifts with it, they need to be the same height and double the width of the phone's screen resolution....

Galaxy Nexus: 720x1280
Wallpaper: 1440x1280

Galaxy SII: 480x800
Wallpaper: 960x800

And so on....

It is slightly different with Honeycomb, as the image shifts not only left to right for your various screens, but also up and down with the app drawer, etc. I don't know the proper scaling for HC wallpapers.

The HC scaling is completely messed up and they haven't fixed it yet.

Morts

Will this phone be able to do voice over LTE when Verizon starts that next year, or will that require hardware for that purpose? Does voice over LTE even mean an increase in sound quality or am I mistaken?

Oozer3993

Will this phone be able to do voice over LTE when Verizon starts that next year, or will that require hardware for that purpose? Does voice over LTE even mean an increase in sound quality or am I mistaken?

It does support better quality:

In addition to allowing people to make calls and use applications at the same time, Verizon says the service, called voice over LTE, or VoLTE, also features better sound quality than traditional landline and cellphone calls.

Since the LG Revolution apparently has the capability to do Voice Over LTE, I'd imagine any phones released since should be able to do it as well.

Keyouta

I guess I'll be getting the GN in January, as Bell has a darn exclusive on it. Can't wait to get off this Samsung Omnia.

I posted this in the android OT but I guess it is better to be here:

Just got done talking to someone in a Verizon store. I asked about the nexus and my representative (or whatever they're called) frantically searched through his tablet looking for anything saying he didn't know anything about it. I was all like its cool, I've worked retail I know they don't tell you anything. Luckily a manager overheard and said preorders for them start Thursday, they should have a demo up to play with then. Luckily I'm in no rush to replace my phone.

So oh boy. I get a new phone on Friday!

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
The LG Revolution is the only phone to do VoLTE. If others did you best believe Verizon would be advertising it. Not to mention, all their phones fallback to CDMA for voice. VoLTE won't be mainstream till end of 2012-2013.

Oozer3993

The LG Revolution is the only phone to do VoLTE. If others did you best believe Verizon would be advertising it. Not to mention, all their phones fallback to CDMA for voice. VoLTE won't be mainstream till end of 2012-2013.

Why would Verizon be advertising a feature that you won't be able to use for a year? Even though the Revolution is VoLTE capable, I can't remember ever hearing about it from Verizon when they were pushing it.

gcubed

thats being generous. You'd get 15 minute talk time with VoLTE. I expect it to get better by end of 2012, but it took 3G a long time to draw down power usage, i expect the 2nd batches of SoC's with LTE modems built in to get into a decent range.

also... Lock screen music controls are awesome, i completely forgot it had them

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Why would Verizon be advertising a feature that you won't be able to use for a year? Even though the Revolution is VoLTE capable, I can't remember ever hearing about it from Verizon when they were pushing it.

Matter of fact, the LG Revo is capable of doing it, but I don't think it does it. Beats me why it's there

Shakala

Ugh, I'm not eligible to upgrade until the end of Feb... I'm contemplating getting this at full retail even though it's only 4 months!

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Ugh, I'm not eligible to upgrade until the end of Feb... I'm contemplating getting this at full retail even though it's only 4 months!

I'm wasnt eligible until april, but i was told, i could upgrade for a fee of $20. So call and find out.

SimleuqiR

Updated Galaxy Nexus Shows Major Bug That Makes Phone Unusable When Plugged in via USB [video]

You can see that screen touches are not being registered correctly, the camera is on a never-ending snapping spree and upon exiting the camera the gallery rolls through all those photos on its own.

Their messaging app also starts up on its own and produces a series of keystrokes without the user even touching the keyboard. He says that the phone only begins acting this way whenever he plugs it in via USB.

Ghost in DAT machine!

I have not had the need to plug the phone to a PC via USB. With how great Google Music is on ICS, all I've been doing is pinning the music I want always available on my phone (via Wifi). I also have only charged it while off.

I did encounter a bug where the app launcher did not detecting any of my inputs. I couldn't even go back to the home screens. Haven't experience it again though.

Mafro

Updated Galaxy Nexus Shows Major Bug That Makes Phone Unusable When Plugged in via USB [video]

Ghost in DAT machine!

I have not had the need to plug the phone to a PC via USB. With how great Google Music is on ICS, all I've been doing is pinning the music I want always available on my phone (via Wifi). I also have only charged it while off.

I did encounter a bug where the app launcher did not detecting any of my inputs. I couldn't even go back to the home screens. Haven't experience it again though.

They've updated:
[Update]: We’re hearing consistent reports that this only happens with faulty USB cables which have a problem with wiring or grounding. Some are saying this can be easily avoided by simply using another cable. The software may not be an issue after all here. If you see this at any point in your usage of the phone try a new or a different cable and see if it remedies the issue.

Dinosur

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/12/07/galaxy-nexus-no-longer-launching-on-december-9/

Not necessarily the post I wanted to start the day with, but in the span of 15 minutes, multiple sources reached out because they were informed that the Galaxy Nexus is no longer launching on December 9 (this Friday). I’m still in shock that this could happen after the entire U.S. Verizon staff was informed that the 9th was the day, but then again, I’m not sure anything should surprise us when it comes to this phone anymore.

Is Big Red just trolling us? Stay tuned as we dig for more…

I'm pretty sure my face is going to explode by the time this phone comes out.

Futureman

weren't the phones already arriving in stores? Can't be a delay of more then a few days.

yep that's my train of thought. We've already seen packing materials and shots in Verizon's computer system. Maybe there was confusion over the whole "soft launch" deal.

Droid-life updated the article that it may be related to the LTE issues Verizon is experiencing:

Update 2: A couple of folks have suggested that this move could have to do with the 4G LTE issues that starting popping up on phones yesterday afternoon. If that is the case, you can’t fault Verizon for waiting another couple of days to make sure their network is stable enough for this phone.

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/12/07/galaxy-nexus-no-longer-launching-on-december-9/

The link to the LTE issues: http://www.droid-life.com/2011/12/0...rization-error-verizon-is-aware-of-the-issue/

Paznos

Why is this the one phone Verizon supposedly wants to be perfect and completely bug free before it's released? I might just wait for something else at this point.

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER

Hey, I sent in that tip to DL last night! My name got shouted out at the bottom! /whammy

Anyways, my Razr has no LTE still, and now I may not be able to get my Nexus on Friday bc of the issue. Had to buy a razr because my Incredible died. Was planning to exchange it for Nexus as soon as it launched.

Lame, but I can wait a few more days. Which would provoke more internet outrage? A two day delay? Or selling thousands of phones that dont have LTE on the east coast?

I've been patient, I can continue to do so.

Top Bottom