• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date

TxdoHawk

Feels bad man. A VZW rep is supposed to call me Saturday to process an early upgrade. Guess I'm going to have to "accidentally" miss that call. Oh well. The Droid X sticks around a bit longer, I suppose.

scratched it.
What I want to know is what does it take to scratch one. Does just putting it in an empty pocket scratch it, like crappy iPod glass? Or do you actually have to do something to scratch it?

The lack of gorilla glass is my main concern with this phone-- all these reviews bitching about camera quality and pentile display without even mentioning the quality of the glass are pissing me off. I have a launch Droid and it has one quarter inch scratch on it after two years of use. My frigging iPod looks like Marv from Sin City and I've only had it for eight months.

garath

Feels bad man. A VZW rep is supposed to call me Saturday to process an early upgrade. Guess I'm going to have to "accidentally" miss that call. Oh well. The Droid X sticks around a bit longer, I suppose.

On the bright side, I love my Droid X. It's the only reason the wait has been bearable for me. It's also the reason I'm not getting insurance on my future Nexus. Not that I'd like to go backwards, but if the unthinkable happens, having a DroidX as a backup is fine by me. Especially saving 7+ dollars a month.

Pctx

Banned
What I want to know is what does it take to scratch one. Does just putting it in an empty pocket scratch it, like crappy iPod glass? Or do you actually have to do something to scratch it?

The lack of gorilla glass is my main concern with this phone-- all these reviews bitching about camera quality and pentile display without even mentioning the quality of the glass are pissing me off. I have a launch Droid and it has one quarter inch scratch on it after two years of use. My frigging iPod looks like Marv from Sin City and I've only had it for eight months.

Your best bet (like most) is to wait until after CES in January in which most all 720p phones from all major manufactures will be shipping in 4-8 weeks with ICS that will most likely have gorilla glass.

I however could care less about scratching a phone screen as there are more important things to worry about in life.

gcubed

if you look online, people have used keys on it with no scratches. Just because its not using some trademarked name piece of glass doesnt mean its not durable. Mine has been in my pocket since i got it, no scratches on it

KuGsj.gif

I can't speak for the Nexus but my Samsung GS2 got two or three scratches on it just from being in my pocket without a case. I kept the Nexus one in exactly the same way and had no scratches after eighteen months of use.

mingus

KuGsj.gif

I can't speak for the Nexus but my Samsung GS2 got two or three scratches on it just from being in my pocket without a case. I kept the Nexus one in exactly the same way and had no scratches after eighteen months of use.

I've had my Nexus S naked for just about a year. Never put it face down, never dropped it, kept it alone when in a pocket, tried my best to place it on softer surfaces whenever I can (wood, cloth, etc.) Screen is flawless despite not being simian; minor blemishes on the rest of the body, usual expected wear and tear on the plastic battery cover.

TxdoHawk

On the bright side, I love my Droid X. It's the only reason the wait has been bearable for me.

That makes one of us...I have been wearing a bluetooth headset all day at work for a week now, because my phone's speaker (even when cranked up to max volume) is too hard to hear, as if the speaker halfway-died or something. My touchscreen likes to occasionally flip out too, and my headphone jack shares the same issue of flakiness that a lot of recent Moto handsets have problems with.

Can't complain too much though: After explaining all this to the VZW rep (and how this is my third X, second replacement) he put up zero argument with offering me an early upgrade.

I personally hope Google does good things with Moto, though. If they improve the QC and toss Blur, I'll almost certainly be back.

The glass is deff fortified glass, just not Gorilla Glass branded. I don't have a case or holster and keep mine in my pocket. No scratches or anything from the screen. I actually tested the glass myself with scissors. No scratches. (Pretty cool trick to make the guys at work oooo and ahhhhhh.) Hope that helps.

Cudder

Canadians:

Can I buy the GN outright from either Bell or Virgin Mobile and have it work on Rogers 3G? Or do I need to wait until January when Rogers gets it?

The glass is deff fortified glass, just not Gorilla Glass branded. I don't have a case or holster and keep mine in my pocket. No scratches or anything from the screen. I actually tested the glass myself with scissors. No scratches. (Pretty cool trick to make the guys at work oooo and ahhhhhh.) Hope that helps.
Yes, it does. Thanks!

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Canadians:

Can I buy the GN outright from either Bell or Virgin Mobile and have it work on Rogers 3G? Or do I need to wait until January when Rogers gets it?

I don't think you can buy it directly from them. However, there are reports that Costco is selling the phone unlocked for 600 and you can use it with any carrier you want.

Cudder

I don't think you can buy it directly from them. However, there are reports that Costco is selling the phone unlocked for 600 and you can use it with any carrier you want.

All the reports I'm seeing online are saying you can get it directly. Huh.

gcubed

as a note, as of a couple of days ago, my galaxy nexus showed up in market.android.com as "AT&T Galaxy Nexus", and has recently changed to "Samsung Galaxy Nexus". My Verizon Xoom still says Verizon Xoom... interesting

Husker86

Gorilla glass doesn't really matter when it's the oleophobic coating that scratches easy, right? I've never had "deep" scratches in the glass of my phones from normal use, I've had the little ones in the coating though all the time, on every phone.

Futureman

wait what? maybe I'm not following the conversation... but you aren't going to get the Nexus now because of this new delay that will most likely be a couple of days?

Gorilla glass doesn't really matter when it's the oleophobic coating that scratches easy, right?
It doesn't scratch easily in my experience, and you have to hold the phone right up to your face at an angle to notice them. Like I said, I have only one real scratch on the phone I've been using for two years, while the iPod is just awful by comparison.

So I know automatically with gorilla glass that I'm getting something good. I'm not saying other glass can't be just as good, but I'm saying that I know what I get with gorilla glass and I like it, and I know what Apple skimps with and I hate it, and everything else I have no experience with.

TxdoHawk

wait what? maybe I'm not following the conversation... but you aren't going to get the Nexus now because of this new delay that will most likely be a couple of days?

Still my plan, I just had things set up so that this guy would convienently be calling me once pre-orders are open. As previously mentioned, I have been having issues with my X. I called up Customer Service and they offered me an upgrade on the spot. I told the guy I needed "time to think about what I want" and he offered to call me Saturday.

Arken2121

So for anyone who finally got one, did any of you do any tests to compare it to the current smart phones released? How it matches up?

So for anyone who finally got one, did any of you do any tests to compare it to the current smart phones released? How it matches up?

I can run some benchmarks for you if you like. Haven't really messed around with that due to ICS being so smooth. So far battery life is much better than my Rooted CM7 G2, so stock its a pretty boss phone.

Salaadin

So its 13th now? Does that mean I can reserve one on the 12th?

This "low space" message on my HTC Incredible is bugging the hell out of me. I need to ditch it and would love a Nexus.

Gabyskra

Banned
Okay, personal review after almost a week of using it!

A few common questions I'm willing to give my honest and thought out opinion on:

- the battery will easily last you a whole long day. From 8 AM to midnight, easily. Of course, it does not hold true if you play 3D games for a couple hours, but if not, and you're reasonably efficient, it's not a concern at all. I played Asphalt 6 for like 30 minutes, I answered a few mails, read internet on my commute, called people for a total of an hour... It was fully charged at 8 AM, the battery is at 45% at 10 PM. It's a breeze, at least in my experience.

- this is the fastest phone I've ever seen. I'm not talking about benchmarks fast, I'm talking about real use fast. It's not just how Samsung made it smooth, the improvement of the software really plays a role in this: you get to everything you need much faster, and the phone is THIS close to being just as fast as your mind, providing you're not limited by EDGE or 3G if you need it. Better than the iphone 4S by a long shot, better than other interfaces.

- After a few days, I have some slight regrets not having a physical keyboard: typing is not as comfortable, BUT I'd MUCH rather have the Galaxy Nexus in my jeans pocket than the Desire Z (T-Mobile G2). No contest, not even close: so that's a big selling point, the fact that it's so thin is ultra comfortable, and negates all criticism of its size.

- Let's get to it: I was hell bent on believing 3.7" inches was all I needed. I'm sure iphone users believe that 3.5" is all they need (sounds sexual I know). Fuck, now I don't think I'd be able to go back. That screen is INSANELY GOOD. It's easier on the eyes, it's beautiful, it's not too big to get to different parts of the screen, it's... my god. I don't want a smaller screen now. I was VERY skeptical. Not anymore.

- The camera. Well. I'm rather serious about photography, but just as an enthusiastic hobbyist of course. It takes poor pictures in comparison to my Fuji x100 or my DSLR. But I expected that. It does something that HTC phones did not do for me before: it makes me want to take shots I would not have bothered with in the past. Why? Because the interface is freakingly fast. It's a complimentary piece to the way I view photography. As a standalone camera, it really does not cut it... but despite the low quality, the fact that it's so quick, it opened up new possibilities. It won't do low light situations, it won't do shallow depth of field, it won't be sharp enough... but no phone camera can for the moment, not even the iphone 4S IMO. So I'll just enjoy the practicality of it and expand my horizon, it's a plus in my book.

- Face Unlock... does not work. Sorry. If you're walking, if you're not well aligned, if the light comes from behind, etc, sorry, it's just not ready. I wanted it to work. The first few times it does, it's a great feeling! But it does not work.

I'm sure I forget some of the FAQs, but that's my definitive opinion on those issues.

Arken2121

I can run some benchmarks for you if you like. Haven't really messed around with that due to ICS being so smooth. So far battery life is much better than my Rooted CM7 G2, so stock its a pretty boss phone.

That'd be great if you would. I'm just deciding between the Razr and the Nexus. I'm just curious how it stands against the likes of the S2, 4S, ect.

Oozer3993

So its 13th now? Does that mean I can reserve one on the 12th?

This "low space" message on my HTC Incredible is bugging the hell out of me. I need to ditch it and would love a Nexus.

Droid-Life, on Twitter, is saying they're hearing the 15th.

droid_life said:
About the 4th or 5th email within the last hour has said 12/15. #hypebeast

Top Bottom