• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date
It'll be interesting, since I wouldn't be shocked if Google taps Motorola to work on the next one. When you outright own the company you partner with for something like this, who's going to restrain you on design decisions? It may very well be the most Google-influenced Googlephone we will ever get.

Google promised the Nexus bidding wouldn't change. Moto will get it if they have the best design.

Circle T

It's the previous nexus so it will get ICS before any other device (barring Gnex obviously). From what I've read, it's smooth and fast, but not Gnex smooth and fast.
If the rough-cut ROM on my Captivate is any indication, it will run fantastically once the NS gets its official update. Aside from the occasional stutter, and the horrible un-optimized battery life, the thing runs great.

TxdoHawk

So is the Nexus S going to get ICS soon? And it should run okay on the S?

The Galaxy Nexus is cool and all but ICS is all I really want. If I can get the Nexus S and a) get a smaller screen/phone, b) get it for $299.98 cheaper and c) get off shitty Verizon, and still get ICS? I would be more than happy with that.

As Narcosis points out, being a Nexus device, you'll likely see it sooner on the S rather than later. If you can stand to wait, though, you may want to just see how upgrades pan out...I'm always hesitant to make even seemingly easy assumptions on if/when device x will get Android OS y, since there are almost always multiple hoops to jump through for a released update...and surprises pop up now and again, both good and bad.

crustikid

I know the release is delayed, and so I walk into a Verizon store today during my lunch hour to go skim through the LTE phones on display. One of the sales people walks up to me as I turn away from the phones and asks me if I need help. I tell him: "galaxy nexus". He fires off some bullshit about the delay and how there's nothing in the back, when there probably is, and I let him take me for a spin on the sales train. Trying to be slick, he pulls out this ancient looking blackberry phone, and starts to hand it to me like he wants me to feel it. I take it and he starts talking about the build quality. It didn't look so bad with the aluminum band around it, but god was I laughing inside. I realize his shirt has "Blackberry" embroidered/stitched into it while he starts asking me more so what I am looking for in a phone. "Android" I tell him. We both smile. He starts to ask me about how I feel about security, and I tell him I like the openness of the platform. LOL. Go figure, I was at an empty ATT store right before, playing with a Galaxy Skyrocket for 20 mins and no one approached me. Verizon, you're killing me in so many ways.

Zeppu

Very happy with battery live. 1 day 8 hours and on 14% battery. That was with wifi/3G on and about 45-50 mins of talk time.

TxdoHawk

Very happy with battery live. 1 day 8 hours and on 14% battery. That was with wifi/3G on and about 45-50 mins of talk time.

Feels good, man. I'm looking forward to seeing how the LTE model stacks up...I have no doubt 4G is going to destroy battery life, but I plan on keeping that flipped off 99.99% of the time anyway, so hopefully the slightly larger battery will improve the already-great numbers. (Even with the official extended battery and wifi turned off 100% of the time, my Droid X barely makes it through an 8-hour workday of any decent usage...sigh.)

garath

Wow. That's impressive. One of the main reasons I wanted Nexus over RAZR is the removable battery (and thus a potential extended battery). My DroidX with an extended gives me 2 days of battery life for my "normal" use which includes lots of texts, kindle reading, some games, a phone call here and there.

Battery life is one of the most important things about a phone for me. It HAS to last a whole day.

Feels good, man. I'm looking forward to seeing how the LTE model stacks up...I have no doubt 4G is going to destroy battery life, but I plan on keeping that flipped off 99.99% of the time anyway, so hopefully the slightly larger battery will improve the already-great numbers. (Even with the official extended battery and wifi turned off 100% of the time, my Droid X barely makes it through an 8-hour workday of any decent usage...sigh.)

Your DroidX has not been kind to you lol. Your experience is definitely atypical though. There are 5 people including me in my office that have the DroidX with nothing but praise for the phone. There have been some update woes where battery doesn't hold up after one of Moto's BLUR laden updates but a factory reset put everything back to rights.

Forsete

Also impressed by the battery life.

For example "push" services like grabbing email does not draw as much juice as on my 3GS.

mingus

One of the main reasons I wanted Nexus over RAZR is the removable battery (and thus a potential extended battery).
I think I remember reading somewhere that the NFC gadgetry was built into the battery itself? I'm wondering how this would impact battery prices.

I guess a lot of people are posting #VZWNEXUSFAIL on Twitter. lol
This is what I do to pass the time now. Search for @googlenexus and watch the frustration roll in. One guy in particular finds time out of his day to vent at verizon and google at about 5 times an hour.

SimleuqiR

You_keep_using_that_word.png

At least not anymore.

Personally I hope Verizon takes however long they need to make sure the thing works on release. I mean, I get excited about new gadgets too, but this is also a phone...my cell # is the main way my family or friends would get a hold of me in case of an emergency. The glitches that would be forgivable in some other new cutting-edge gadget are just not acceptable in a phone.

gcubed

Personally I hope Verizon takes however long they need to make sure the thing works on release. I mean, I get excited about new gadgets too, but this is also a phone...my cell # is the main way my family or friends would get a hold of me in case of an emergency. The glitches that would be forgivable in some other new cutting-edge gadget are just not acceptable in a phone.

Never stopped Verizon before

I'm pretty sure the Bionic came out very buggy. And that was delayed more than the Nexus (just barely, now).

I think they've done everything they will do to make sure it works, seeing as how there are boxes sitting at retailers right this moment. Who knows what the hell this delay is really about.

Paznos

I'm pretty sure the Bionic came out very buggy. And that was delayed more than the Nexus (just barely, now).

The Bionic was delayed so long because it went through a redesign and Motorola was designing their own LTE radio.

I doubt there's anything wrong with the Nexus, Verizon just cares more about their other phones that they'll make more money off of with all their bloatware and money they've put into marketing those phones. They should have just carried the GS2 if they were going to drag their feet with the Nexus.

rozay

Banned
The devices are already in stores with an OTA ready to go after the phone is turned on, and it's not like delays stopped other handsets from being buggy as shit.

NH Apache

Banned
The devices are already in stores with an OTA ready to go after the phone is turned on, and it's not like delays stopped other handsets from being buggy as shit.
An ota that will eat up limited data usage. Rabble rabble rabble

Edit: my home button just broke on my x. Fuuuuuuu

Oozer3993

The Bionic was delayed so long because it went through a redesign and Motorola was designing their own LTE radio.

I doubt there's anything wrong with the Nexus, Verizon just cares more about their other phones that they'll make more money off of with all their bloatware and money they've put into marketing those phones. They should have just carried the GS2 if they were going to drag their feet with the Nexus.

Not true. Verizon makes money from plans, not phones. They don't really care which of their phones you buy, just as long as it's tied to a 2 year contract. And they make no money from bloatware.

99% chance those phones were even buggier before the delays. It's impossible to make a bug-free phone, so carriers will test and make sure any major bugs are fixed and then release the phone even if they didn't fix some minor ones they found.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Compared to other carriers, Verizon does have a long-standing rep for more thoroughly testing their phones before they're released, but the fact that they're already in stores makes this latest delay seem nothing more than a poke in the eye to people waiting for it.

gcubed

Compared to other carriers, Verizon does have a long-standing rep for more thoroughly testing their phones before they're released, but the fact that they're already in stores makes this latest delay seem nothing more than a poke in the eye to people waiting for it.

That's great and all, but it doesn't show in the final product

Paznos

Not true. Verizon makes money from plans, not phones. They don't really care which of their phones you buy, just as long as it's tied to a 2 year contract. And they make no money from bloatware.

99% chance those phones were even buggier before the delays. It's impossible to make a bug-free phone, so carriers will test and make sure any major bugs are fixed and then release the phone even if they didn't fix some minor ones they found.

So they make no money off VCAST Music, VCAST Videos, VZ Navigator( $10 a month), CITY ID? Visual Voicemail($3 a month) and the list goes on, of course they make money off it otherwise they wouldn't bother putting them on the phones in the first place.

If Verizon truly didn't care what phones people are buying the Galaxy Nexus would have been out in early November when it was originally suppose to come out and they would have carried the Nexus One instead of canceling it.

Oozer3993

What? Are you seriously arguing against that? The total cost of ownership of a smartphone, for the life of the two contract most sign to get one at a reasonable price, is $3,800. The phone is $200, or 5% of that total cost. And that doesn't even include how much the carrier paid for the phone in the first place! You know the metric cell phone carriers care about the most? Average Revenue Per User. Carriers will obsess over ways to raise that number by even a single cent. You know what that number doesn't include? The cost of the phone.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
That's great and all, but it doesn't show in the final product
It would be pretty hard to qualify that statement unless you've used the phones in testing before they were released.

More testing than normal doesn't imply a phone is going to be released bug-free.

I'm also betting that VZW is delaying the sales of the GNX due to sales of it's other phones. They are probably monitoring the sales of the RAZR and Rezound and will determine the release of the GNX on whether they think it will eat into the profits from those phones.

I don't think they expect much from the GNX and they know it's only a select few out there that are actually waiting on that phone.

It also doesn't help that their bloatware is not on the phone. At least none that they can profit from.

Trying to be slick, he pulls out this ancient looking blackberry phone, and starts to hand it to me like he wants me to feel it. I take it and he starts talking about the build quality. It didn't look so bad with the aluminum band around it, but god was I laughing inside. I realize his shirt has "Blackberry" embroidered/stitched into it while he starts asking me more so what I am looking for in a phone. "Android" I tell him. We both smile. He starts to ask me about how I feel about security, and I tell him I like the openness of the platform.

most likely, that was a blackberry rep that happenned to be at the store that talked to you. no vzw employee has a Blackberry embroidered into thier shirt and has a bias towards blackberry. Maybe back in the day before Iphone and android, but these days, theres no bias towards bb.

Cudder

Played with a GN at both Virgin Mobile and Bell today at the mall, they "weren't allowed" to sell them outright lol. The browser is damn fast!

Oozer3993

So they make no money off VCAST Music, VCAST Videos, VZ Navigator( $10 a month), CITY ID? Visual Voicemail($3 a month) and the list goes on, of course they make money off it otherwise they wouldn't bother putting them on the phones in the first place.

If Verizon truly didn't care what phones people are buying the Galaxy Nexus would have been out in early November when it was originally suppose to come out and they would have carried the Nexus One instead of canceling it.

They don't make a lot. They don't even push them that hard on other Android phones. My Droid X came with 0 VCAST apps. The iPhone doesn't support any of those services, yet Verizon sells it. Those services aren't really a priority for them. They were created for dumbphones that couldn't access video and music and such on the internet. Smartphone users barely use them.

The GSM Nexus didn't even come out in early November. It came out in late November and even then had problems severe enough that Samsung stopped shipment on them. That was Thanksgiving week. That same week, Verizon took out ads on several websites for Black Friday touting a sale on the Galaxy Nexus. So at some point they were planning on selling it by Black Friday and were sure enough of that date to spend money on a marketing campaign. Clearly something cropped up late in the game to change those plans. The thing that usually does that to phone launches are bugs. I don't think it's a coincidence that just a couple days later testers got an update to 4.1 that improved the performance of the phone.

And Verizon didn't cancel the Nexus One. Google did, or at least that's the story both companies pitched to Bloomberg:

Google decided against selling the Nexus One with Verizon because of “amazing innovation happening across the open Android ecosystem,” spokesman Anthony House said in an e-mailed statement.
Verizon Wireless, based in Basking Ridge, New Jersey, has no current plans to sell service for the Nexus One phone, spokesman Marquett Smith said. “If they want to do business with us or sell the device, we’re open to that.”

Remember, the Nexus One was Google's attempt to disrupt the mobile phone market. They wouldn't allow carriers to market it in stores, and tried to sell most of them unsubsidized. I doubt Verizon was willing to agree to either of those conditions.

They don't make a lot. They don't even push them that hard on other Android phones. My Droid X came with 0 VCAST apps. The iPhone doesn't support any of those services, yet Verizon sells it. Those services aren't really a priority for them. They were created for dumbphones that couldn't access video and music and such on the internet. Smartphone users barely use them.

yup

gcubed

It would be pretty hard to qualify that statement unless you've used the phones in testing before they were released.

More testing than normal doesn't imply a phone is going to be released bug-free.

Anecdotally and through blog sites I've seen much less reports around a littany of bugs in other providers phones vs Verizon's, especially their lte phones

Also, syncmypix (iirc) for Facebook photo syncing

Top Bottom