• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date

kehs

Banned
So I'm watching the hour presenation from LeWeb 2011 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=t02iJn5Ypio )
Less than five minutes I see this:

tYbLn.jpg

Good troll Google.

Good troll.

BigFwoosh

So I was just at Best Buy, and for kicks I decided to ask the guy in the mobile dept. if he knew when they'd be selling the Nexus.

Me: "Do you happen to know when you'll be selling the Galaxy Nexus?"
Him: "For...?"
Me: "Verizon."
Him: "Let me check..."

Other mobile guy walks up.

Guy #2: "What's he looking for?"
Guy #1: "Galaxy Nexus."
Guy #2: "They haven't announced a date yet. It says the 11th in our system. We had heard the 9th before. So I'd say between the 9th and the 11th."
Me: "Yeah, that's kind of what I've been hearing."
Guy #2: "We have em, we just can't sell em."
Me: "How many do you have? Do you think you'll run out?"
Guy #2: "We got a bunch. Nobody has come in asking about it, so we should have plenty."
Me: "Man, this is killing me. KILLING ME."

Now, this guy is probably just as misinformed as everyone else is about the release, but he seemed totally honest about it. I personally won't believe anything until I see an official announcement at this point, but I figured I'd post this in case anyone wanted to hear yet another rumored date.

Fox318

http://phandroid.com/2011/12/08/boxes-of-galaxy-nexi-arriving-at-verizon-and-radioshack-stores-instructed-not-to-sell/

Boxes Of Galaxy Nexi Arriving At Verizon And RadioShack Stores – Instructed Not To Sell
by Chris Chavez on December 8th, 2011 at 9:17 pm

I really hate doing this to you guys but please — I’m just passing along the info. Apparently, Verizon Wireless and RadioShack stores have been receiving boxes ‘o Galaxy Nexi and are being instructed to “hold off” on selling them until they receive word from their higher uppers. According to a leaked internal email from RadioShack, seems that almost nobody has absolutely any idea when the device will go on sale and are just sitting on the merchandise for now.

Now, I don’t really like when I read articles saying the Galaxy Nexus has been “delayed” given the fact that Verizon never committed to a specific date. However, in the light of all the information flooding our inboxes, this just doesn’t seem typical for a phone launch. Seems something went wrong. Whether it was a buggy device, delayed launch to help RAZR sales — who knows and conspiracy theories are running rampant. Just keep in mind that the info I’m giving to you shouldn’t make you upset — it should bring hope! Technically, the Galaxy Nexus is already here and in stores. All we have to do now is twiddle our thumbs and wait. Like Christmas (if Christmas had no date).

In more “fun” news, we received an email today from one of our readers who was in a Verizon Wireless store and was almost able to purchase the Galaxy Nexus. After asking for the phone, a clueless rep said they have ‘em in stock and went to the back room to grab it. She came out with the box in hand and proceeded to ring up our would-be Nexus owner. Trying his best to keep his composure and jaw from hitting the floor, when asked if he had “the email,” he caved, said no and watched as the Nexus faded away into the confines of Verizon’s backroom. So close!
Thanks, 3vil!

gcubed

ATT will be selling the Nexus a week after Verizon finally sells it... they are blowing through their exclusivity window pretty quickly

Circle T

I had hoped to have not only the Nexus right now, but also a Galaxy Note. Thanks to delays with both versions of them I'm buying, I have neither :[

outsidah

I had hoped to have not only the Nexus right now, but also a Galaxy Note. Thanks to delays with both versions of them I'm buying, I have neither :[

Not sure who your carriers are or where you are at, but apparently an AT&T Note passed through the FCC recently which is good news if you are in the US.

CaLe

Anyone knows how to leave the full-screen mode in the browser... ? I tried turning it off, but I'm still in fullscreen... It's killing me.

Edit: Nevermind, I'm an idiot...

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Was just talking to a fellow Gaf lurker about his Nexus.

Crazy fucker had a Galaxy S2 AND UPGRADED 6 HOURS AGO TO A NEXUS...

He hadn't had time to play around with it, but he did say it was incredibly fast.

I'm 'thinking' that it might be the next phone I'll get, but with phones coming out so quickly these days and my contract expiring next September, who knows what'll come out?

Pctx

Banned
ATT will be selling the Nexus a week after Verizon finally sells it... they are blowing through their exclusivity window pretty quickly

I think I'm gonna wait until Feb when the Tuna lands on AT&T and skip the import. Verizon really has done a marvelous job at releasing this flagship phone on their network.

kehs

Banned
I think I'm gonna wait until Feb when the Tuna lands on AT&T and skip the import. Verizon really has done a marvelous job at releasing this flagship phone on their network.

Too close to padfone territory.

Get padfone.

is it pad is it fone?

Circle T

Not sure who your carriers are or where you are at, but apparently an AT&T Note passed through the FCC recently which is good news if you are in the US.
I'm in the US (Omaha), and have personal lines with AT&T and VZW, and a work provided line with AT&T.

It is now a race to see who can get me a Note first. Will the AT&T version come out, and I can get a free one from work, or will the white unlocked version come out, and I replace my Captivate with it?? Who knows. Maybe the white version will also be an option if/when it comes to the States!

achapel

If I'm going to get the Gnex, where should I get it from. Newegg has it for $759, it is about that price converted from handcent or whatever, or I can get it from a friend directly from Virgin in canada for $649 + $20 one month. Which is my best option for support and price?

I am on Tmobile btw.

TxdoHawk

When was it said that ATT would carry the Galaxy Nexus the week after Verizon releases it?

I think what he's trying to say is that Verizon is wasting their exclusivity window by delaying the release. I have my doubts it matters much though...based on my own personal observations, no one outside of the hardcore Android fanbase appears to be too hyped about this phone.

So, GSM owners, how are you liking the larger screen? I'm curious if the real estate bump was significant to you, especially if you came from a pretty big smartphone to begin with.

Oh, I'm slow lol. This whole release has been a joke including the GSM release. Hopefully the next Nexus has a release similar to the Nexus S/ iPhone 4S

gcubed

I think what he's trying to say is that Verizon is wasting their exclusivity window by delaying the release. I have my doubts it matters much though...based on my own personal observations, no one outside of the hardcore Android fanbase appears to be too hyped about this phone.

So, GSM owners, how are you liking the larger screen? I'm curious if the real estate bump was significant to you, especially if you came from a pretty big smartphone to begin with.

Going back to the nexus 1 makes it feel like a childs toy that's how small it seems in comparison

TxdoHawk

Hopefully the next Nexus has a release similar to the Nexus S/ iPhone 4S

It'll be interesting, since I wouldn't be shocked if Google taps Motorola to work on the next one. When you outright own the company you partner with for something like this, who's going to restrain you on design decisions? It may very well be the most Google-influenced Googlephone we will ever get.

SimleuqiR

This is true, and another reason why I think Verizon should have kept their dirty hands away from this phone. Or at least don't be the exclusive carrier at the beginning.

This phone is big! But it's so light and thin that it doesn't become a problem placing it in your pockets.

I'm 5'9", 140 lbs, and wear 30x30 jeans - Not the biggest guy in the world. And yet this phone feels comfortable after a few hours of use. But you do have to get used to it.

From a Nexus One owner, the first thing to get used to is the power button placement. After some use you do realize why it's on the side and how much more convenient it is.

The screen is gorgeous! It actually outshines my Transformer's IPS screen.

But most importantly, ICS makes Gingerbread an eyesore. They need to get ICS on to more phones ASAP.

This is true, and another reason why I think Verizon should have kept their dirty hands away from this phone. Or at least don't be the exclusive carrier at the beginning.

This phone is big! But it's so light and thin that it doesn't become a problem placing it in your pockets.

I'm 5'9", 140 lbs, and wear 30x30 jeans - Not the biggest guy in the world. And yet this phone feels comfortable after a few hours of use. But you do have to get used to it.

From a Nexus One owner, the first thing to get used to is the power button placement. After some use you do realize why it's on the side and how much more convenient it is.

But most importantly, ICS makes Gingerbread an eyesore. They need to get ICS on to more phones ASAP.

Awesome impressions! Making the wait for my White Whale all that much harder.

On the side is really the only comfortable place to put a power button on a device this size..

It is a very comfortable device to hold and use, even if I can't easily do everything with one hand.

Putting it on the top like the htc titan (HTC's 4.7" windows phone device) just doesn't seem like it would be comfortable to reach.

thespot84

this will help me continue waiting, since i'm still amazed daily at my transformer screen.

Chavelo

Will change to Verizon once the phone comes out. Right now I'm rocking a custom ICS rom for my Samsung Vibrant on T-Mobile to test it, and lemme tell ya, GAF:

ICS is the Android OS all grown-up.

gutshot

So is the Nexus S going to get ICS soon? And it should run okay on the S?

The Galaxy Nexus is cool and all but ICS is all I really want. If I can get the Nexus S and a) get a smaller screen/phone, b) get it for $299.98 cheaper and c) get off shitty Verizon, and still get ICS? I would be more than happy with that.

So is the Nexus S going to get ICS soon? And it should run okay on the S?

The Galaxy Nexus is cool and all but ICS is all I really want. If I can get the Nexus S and a) get a smaller screen/phone, b) get it for $299.98 cheaper and c) get off shitty Verizon, and still get ICS? I would be more than happy with that.

It's the previous nexus so it will get ICS before any other device (barring Gnex obviously). From what I've read, it's smooth and fast, but not Gnex smooth and fast.

It'll be interesting, since I wouldn't be shocked if Google taps Motorola to work on the next one. When you outright own the company you partner with for something like this, who's going to restrain you on design decisions? It may very well be the most Google-influenced Googlephone we will ever get.

Yeah, as much as I love HTC I wouldn't be surprised if the next Nexus is by Moto. The Galaxy Nexus is my first Sammy device, very surprise at the quality even tho it isn't metal.

Top Bottom