• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date

Salaadin

Just got put on a call list at my local Verizon store. They couldnt give me a release date but told me theyll call when they know.

I can upgrade now but Ill get an additional 50 dollar credit towards an upgrade if I wait until 1/3/12. At the rate this is going, the phone will be released right around then.

BrettWeir

With the unexplained delay in release of the GN and the Wifi issue delay of the Transformer 2, it's a sad, sad December for ICS.

rozay

Banned
Just got put on a call list at my local Verizon store. They couldnt give me a release date but told me theyll call when they know.

I can upgrade now but Ill get an additional 50 dollar credit towards an upgrade if I wait until 1/3/12. At the rate this is going, the phone will be released right around then.
Considering the phone will be $300 that credit is handy plus you might be free of launch unit defects.

The only downside I can think of is that you might lose the opportunity to bump your data plan to 4GB if they're still offering that.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
they delayed the transformer for it? the verge was all over it from day 1.

pretty sure the transformer prime has not been delayed. we just have no idea when we will actually get it. my preorder says the 19th though.

knock on wood.

Futureman

Considering the phone will be $300 that credit is handy plus you might be free of launch unit defects.

The only downside I can think of is that you might lose the opportunity to bump your data plan to 4GB if they're still offering that.

if he has an upgrade in January, that means he signed his original contract around ~March 2010, which means he should already have unlimited data.

Zeppu

I honestly love this phone. Screen is phenomenal, but ICS really takes it to the next level. I love how easy and smooth everything is.

I fall in love with it more every day. Battery life is phenomenal and once you get used to pictures you can get great pics irrespective of environment. <3 GN.

S6Mxg.jpg

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I finally got to try it out today and Sweet Zombie Jesus! That screen is amazing. Sooooo beautiful! The phone is huge however, but really nice and light. I didn't get a chance to play around with it as much as I would have liked though.

I played around with a 4s after too and that thing is pea-sized in comparison. I don't know how people deal with such a tiny screen. My Nexus one's screen is even bigger than that. Infinity Blade looks really nice though.

Ok guys, the phone should be arriving this week and I need to make a decision on how to protect it. Hard case, soft case or pouch?

I am a complete noob with smartphones so I really have no idea of which option would suit me better but my intuition says a pouch would be the best because I think it might protect better from scratches while in the pocket and also aesthetically because when you take it out you don't have any ugly ass cover on it. On the other hand, there's always the risk of dropping the phone after taking it out of the pouch of course.

Would it be better a wool pouch than say a leather or neoprene one? I think that wool would be safer for scratches in case some grain of sand gets in, because then it can easily be filtered by the cloth, while a more solid one could potentially rub it against the glass when inside the pouch. What do you guys think?

kinggroin

Banned
Ok guys, the phone should be arriving this week and I need to make a decision on how to protect it. Hard case, soft case or pouch?

I am a complete noob with smartphones so I really have no idea of which option would suit me better but my intuition says a pouch would be the best because I think it might protect better from scratches while in the pocket and also aesthetically because when you take it out you don't have any ugly ass cover on it. On the other hand, there's always the risk of dropping the phone after taking it out of the pouch of course.

Would it be better a wool pouch than say a leather or neoprene one? I think that wool would be safer for scratches in case some grain of sand gets in, because then it can easily be filtered by the cloth, while a more solid one could potentially rub it against the glass when inside the pouch. What do you guys think?

Should be arriving this week? Know something we don't?

gcubed

i just say no big case, the phone is so sleek and sexy in your hands, you dont want to ruin it with a big ole case

And what about the appearance? I have to say that I'm not a big fan of ICS homepage icons.

I just saw this in xda and I think it's the nicest I've seen thus far.

dark_nexus_highres.png

longdi

Banned
black screen + oled is wonderful, however blue oled dies the fastest, not sure about the blue theme google chose, just like the white background of their home page.

SimleuqiR

Is it that big of a deal? What are the consequences of not having that build?

Here is a blog article explaining the whole thig:

http://www.xda-developers.com/android/is-the-galaxy-nexus-still-a-nexus/

As quickly discovered by community members who failed to receive the 4.0.1 update, and subsequently weren’t able to perform a manually install, there are several software configurations of the GSM Galaxy Nexus. The true, Google-controlled version is yakju—the rest being Samsung-controlled variants, thereof. All carry the hardware code name maguro, so it is plausible that they can be flashed to yakju. However, according to Android software engineer Jean-Baptise Queru, it is unclear at this time whether this is actually possible.

At this point who knows.

kehs

Banned
Some updates are handled by Samsung, some by Google at this point. A couple of people have flashed the default stock imgs provided by Google on the "Samsung Controlled" devices. The chances of there being a problem is pretty slim. It's more like having two different roms, and not two different phone versions.

I wouldn't take JBQ's comment too deeply, he's the head of AOSP code, and doesn't deal with hardware configs, he's just being honest in saying he's doesn't know what's up with the hardware differences if any.

xda being xda.

Why is this still called Nexus again?

Google Wallet isn't there, MyVerizon and contact backup assistant (as well as some network code to assist GPS) is there, and everyone is freaking out. Verizon has killed the Nexus. The Verizon Galaxy Nexus isn't really a Nexus. Verizon kills kittens! Let us take a minute and try to put all this in perspective. Take a deep breath and follow along, and we'll figure it all out.

The MyVerizon app and some backup assistant app aren't part of AOSP either.  They have no business being on a Nexus device, except for one thing -- both are "required" for Android devices on the Verizon network.  Them's the rules, and even Google will follow them.  Contact backup assistant is there because Verizon doesn't want to be swamped with phone calls about people not being able to migrate their contacts to Android.  It happens more than we think.  Lose backup assistant, and spend thousands in unwarranted tech support.  Verizon is too smart for that (you don't become the top carrier in the U.S. unless you're smart and a tiny bit evil) so you bet your ass they are going to cover all the bases they can.

MyVerizon is now needed because we live in a time where unlimited data is slowly phasing out. Verizon went with tiered plans versus bandwidth throttling, so they are obligated to let you know exactly how much data they say you used. Remember those class-action suits where Verizon had to pay every person on earth $12? Verizon doesn't want anything like that to happen again. Just as important, current Verizon customers need to be able to have access to apps they purchased through the Verizon area of the Market and Vcast. MyVerizon helps authenticate those phones so they have access to them. Just because you will root and remove MyVerizon and never use VCAST doesn't mean everyone else will.

Verizon kills Kittens!!

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Why aren't either of those two apps on the iPhone, then? Because Apple won't take that kind of shit from anyone, unlike Google.

Gabyskra

Banned
Is that supposed to be an example of a 'great pic'? Because the image quality is absolutely horrible.

Agreed. That's bad. And the thing is, even examples of decent pics do not tell the whole story. For instance, under the right light, I was able to catch a decent amount of details with the original Motorola Droid, like in this following picture:
http://i.imgur.com/7DhTo.jpg
Too big for the forum...
If you downsize it, you get that:

WPbpA.jpg

Decent overall. The corners are soft, dynamic range could be better, no way to play with depth of field, etc, it's a crappy p&s, like most phones.

The Galaxy Nexus can do better than that. But compared to any decent actual camera, it's not good enough. Some examples here and there do not say enough about useability.

kehs

Banned

Yes, there will be a bit of extra testing involved with each to make sure the Verizon apps work and that network specific code works as written, but we're talking minor differences, not weeks and weeks of delay. Nobody really thinks Sprint or T-Mobile or AT&T has no hand in network testing on existing Nexus devices do they?

Dude's wrong, T-Mo and ATT do not test Nexus one, or Nexus S updates. Only Sprint and Verizon do.

GSM Nexus: Google creates update add extras -> sends it out to devices

CDMA Nexus: Google creates updates -> gives to verizon/sprint -> They test/add extra stuff -> Send out devices

We already know that carriers that "test" updates take 1-2 months to do it, because they have to support it directly.

AOSP ROMs for the Verizon Galaxy Nexus (that name needs commas and more words) will start cranking out right after the device goes up for sale, so relax.

We haven't heard anything about driver/libraries/ binaries for the Verizon model. Particularly regarding the LTE radio. Chances are all roms for the GN will be lacking LTE connectivity until someone reverse engineers the radio connectivity (Same thing happened with wimax phones).

Oozer3993

Dude's wrong, T-Mo and ATT do not test Nexus one, or Nexus S updates. Only Sprint and Verizon do.

GSM Nexus: Google creates update add extras -> sends it out to devices

CDMA Nexus: Google creates updates -> gives to verizon/sprint -> They test/add extra stuff -> Send out devices

We already know that carriers that "test" updates take 1-2 months to do it, because they have to support it directly.

We haven't heard anything about driver/libraries/ binaries for the Verizon model. Particularly regarding the LTE radio. Chances are all roms for the GN will be lacking LTE connectivity until someone reverse engineers the radio connectivity (Same thing happened with wimax phones).

The Sprint Nexus S 4G gets updates immediately. Earlier this year it got updated to 2.3.7 several days before the T-Mobile version of the Nexus S got updated. To 2.3.6. Original Nexus S phones still haven't been updated to 2.3.7, though that might be because it was specifically for the 4G variant.

What's with the 'Tuna' business?

The device name of Galaxy Nexus is 'Maguro'.

All Android devices have an internal device name, like a codename. Even devices which don't officially run Android have them if Android was used to develop them.

HTC devices are all well-known for their official codenames, which are also their Android device names.

My Droid X is the 'Shadow', my Touchpad is the 'Tenderloin'.

The device name isn't just Google having fun, it's also what is used to determine what apps are compatible with your device on Android Market. You can spoof your device name if an app you want doesn't appear to be available for you on the Market, but if you do that, prepare for other things to break.

The device name of Galaxy Nexus is 'Maguro'.

All Android devices have an internal device name, like a codename. Even devices which don't officially run Android have them if Android was used to develop them.

HTC devices are all well-known for their official codenames, which are also their Android device names.

My Droid X is the 'Shadow', my Touchpad is the 'Tenderloin'.

The device name isn't just Google having fun, it's also what is used to determine what apps are compatible with your device on Android Market. You can spoof your device name if an app you want doesn't appear to be available for you on the Market, but if you do that, prepare for other things to break.

What's the link between Maguro And tuna?

Oh I'm sorry... it's a japanease name for a sort of tuna...

Top Bottom