• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date

TxdoHawk

So I just realized today, the VZW rep that was supposed to call me on Saturday never called...mind you, this was after asking him if he wanted to just leave a note on my account. Oh well.

Also, have some jealousy on this fine Monday morning! ;)

http://www.engadget.com/2011/12/11/lucky-shoppers-pick-up-verizon-galaxy-nexus-early-at-best-buy/

Well, this is just a tease. It was bad enough when the original December 9th release date was pushed back to some undetermined point in time. And then our neighbors to the north got their own version. Now a few lucky shoppers have managed to their hands on the Verizon edition of the Galaxy Nexus and, chances are, you're not one of them. It looks like at least one Best Buy didn't get the memo that the Nexus debut had been postponed.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
they made excuses for everything that makes it not a nexus. "Verizon is smart, thats why they are #1, so thats why this is ok" is basically the reason given for everything that is non nexus like

A lot of Hildenbrand's "editorials" read like this. He's an extreme apologist. Even if it is an Android fansite, he rarely finds fault with something clearly wrong in the Android ecosystem.

gcubed

A lot of Hildenbrand's "editorials" read like this. He's an extreme apologist. Even if it is an Android fansite, he rarely finds fault with something clearly wrong in the Android ecosystem.

i dont really think its a huge issue. Its the best thing on the vzw lineup, and they welcome back the world of vanilla android. but its a shame it has shit on it.

Pctx

Banned

Which is the lack of free Nexi' to all of us on NeoGAF.

kehs

Banned
“Rigorous device testing is part of our commitment to our customers. Verizon will not release a device until our highest standards have been met. We’ll announce the launch of the Galaxy Nexus by Samsung as soon as it’s available.”

-Verizon, committed to higher standards.

Sealda

Banned
Just got this bad boy. Was choosing between this and the Nexus. I did the pocket test in the store and it came out positive.
71jf5l.jpg

TxdoHawk

I've tried it. It's pretty uncomfortable =/

I imagine it largely depends on how you buy your pants, and tolerance for pocket bulges.

No shots of emails from what I can see, but word on AndroidForums from "sources" is that the Isis/Google Wallet spat is the cause of the delay. I have my doubts, especially since these emails supposedly still say 12/15 (if this was an actual issue, the delay would be much longer.)

Salaadin

Man, I guess they dont seel cases for these things before release? Seidio has theirs listed as "in development". Hopefully its soon.

Oozer3993

I imagine it largely depends on how you buy your pants, and tolerance for pocket bulges.

No shots of emails from what I can see, but word on AndroidForums from "sources" is that the Isis/Google Wallet spat is the cause of the delay. I have my doubts, especially since these emails supposedly still say 12/15 (if this was an actual issue, the delay would be much longer.)

It might haven't gotten pushed back to give their lawyers a little time to make sure Verizon wasn't breaking any laws by keeping Google Wallet off it.

I played around with a Nexus dummy unit at Best Buy after work today. It's big, but didn't seem that big. I kept thinking one of the other 4G phones was bigger, only to compare the two and see the Nexus come out ahead, so to speak. It wasn't all that much bigger than my Droid X; just a bit longer. And it's delightfully thin. I also saw a Galaxy Player 5, which I believe is roughly the same size as the Note, and good Lord is it big. It is the OG Xbox of phones.

:jnc You know it's bad when there's 8 release dates on the page, and that's not even all of them.

Husker86

It might haven't gotten pushed back to give their lawyers a little time to make sure Verizon wasn't breaking any laws by keeping Google Wallet off it.

I played around with a Nexus dummy unit at Best Buy after work today. It's big, but didn't seem that big. I kept thinking one of the other 4G phones was bigger, only to compare the two and see the Nexus come out ahead, so to speak. It wasn't all that much bigger than my Droid X; just a bit longer. And it's delightfully thin. I also saw a Galaxy Player 5, which I believe is roughly the same size as the Note, and good Lord is it big. It is the OG Xbox of phones.

:jnc You know it's bad when there's 8 release dates on the page, and that's not even all of them.

In all fairness, not one of those was an announced date.

And yes, I'm just as mad as everyone else.

jchap

My quandary is: Import GSM version now or wait a month(?) and get the AT&T version sans contract. It might be a bit cheaper to wait, and I don't think the AT&T version will support their new LTE network anyways.

kehs

Banned
My quandary is: Import GSM version now or wait a month(?) and get the AT&T version sans contract. It might be a bit cheaper to wait, and I don't think the AT&T version will support their new LTE network anyways.

Wait for the pentaband 42mbps retina display with a keyboard dock padfone from asus.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
So we still in the dark about this device? Or light at the end of the tunnel? My phone is about to die and this is the only thing I think being worthy for now.

Feep

Banned
I need a holiday gift, and I keep telling my father to wait, wait, wait. It's coming out soon, I think...

I'm running out of time. About to get pissed the fuck off and buy a Bionic/Charge whatever.

rozay

Banned
I need a holiday gift, and I keep telling my father to wait, wait, wait. It's coming out soon, I think...

I'm running out of time. About to get pissed the fuck off and buy a Bionic/Charge whatever.
The bionic would be more of a burden than a gift.

Fuck, it's really $700? How big of a difference is it between this and the Galaxy S2?

Well have no idea. I guess the Nexus has the slight upper hand in that it will be getting googles latest updates first.

Well if you get newegg preferred card they give you $15 back and you have 12 months on no interest to pay the phone. I guess that helps a bit with the price.

Well have no idea. I guess the Nexus has the slight upper hand in that it will be getting googles latest updates first.

Well if you get newegg preferred card they give you $15 back and you have 12 months on no interest to pay the phone. I guess that helps a bit with the price.

Is that the only big difference? Getting the updates quicker?

Top Bottom